Check out what the Aveda boy said to me today...kinda long

ShiShiPooPoo

So I go into Joseph and Friends which is an Aveda concept salon. I wanted to just look at the DR and price it. This guy named Troy starts to ask me what I was looking for and I told him the DR. He tells me that the DR is really for hair that is beyond hope...truly "fried". He says that he thinks that it is too much protein for my hair. He suggested to Color Conserve instead...he raved about it and said he liked it a lot more than the DR. I told him that I used the DR because I was experiencing breakage and it really helped slow it up...I told him that the cause was most likely the Natural Instincts rinse. He told me that these over the counter rinses change their formulas often and they don't tell the consumer or it could have been old stuff. I agreed. I ask him if they do relaxers and he said that they did...he then says "At Aveda we learn about ethnic hair also...I can say that I probably know more about your hair than many black stylists you might have gone to." He then says, "Like, I know all about overlapping, texlaxing, and leaving a slight wave instead of going bone straight." I was like :blush:.

The thing that is so disappointing is that I couldn't really rebuttle him about that. I wanted to say, "No one knows more about OUR hair than our own people" but viewing so many posts about scissor happy stylists, applying relaxer on a woman who clearly has a hair fungus, coloring fiasco's etc. it just made me sad to think that this man probably DOES know more than many black stylists...I'm not saying ALL but he could probably out talk a several when it comes to him SPEAKING OF TECHNIQUE..of course I'd have to see his work.

He did offer me the moisture treatment...it's 72.00 and he said it was phenomenal for restoring moisture...and if you needed a little protein he could mix them for a customized treatment. You sit under the steamer for about 15 min. and the results last for about 3-4 weeks.

I was VERY tempted to schedule something with him but I am scared.

I don't know...thanks for reading.

So I go into Joseph and Friends which is an Aveda concept salon. I wanted to just look at the DR and price it. This guy named Troy starts to ask me what I was looking for and I told him the DR. He tells me that the DR is really for hair that is beyond hope...truly "fried". He says that he thinks that it is too much protein for my hair. He suggested to Color Conserve instead...he raved about it and said he liked it a lot more than the DR. I told him that I used the DR because I was experiencing breakage and it really helped slow it up...I told him that the cause was most likely the Natural Instincts rinse. He told me that these over the counter rinses change their formulas often and they don't tell the consumer or it could have been old stuff. I agreed. I ask him if they do relaxers and he said that they did...he then says "At Aveda we learn about ethnic hair also...I can say that I probably know more about your hair than many black stylists you might have gone to." He then says, "Like, I know all about overlapping, texlaxing, and leaving a slight wave instead of going bone straight." I was like :blush:.

The thing that is so disappointing is that I couldn't really rebuttle him about that. I wanted to say, "No one knows more about OUR hair than our own people" but viewing so many posts about scissor happy stylists, applying relaxer on a woman who clearly has a hair fungus, coloring fiasco's etc. it just made me sad to think that this man probably DOES know more than many black stylists...I'm not saying ALL but he could probably out talk a several when it comes to him SPEAKING OF TECHNIQUE..of course I'd have to see his work.

He did offer me the moisture treatment...it's 72.00 and he said it was phenomenal for restoring moisture...and if you needed a little protein he could mix them for a customized treatment. You sit under the steamer for about 15 min. and the results last for about 3-4 weeks.

It sure is a darn shame that he might be right. I can imagine going to a black salon and telling them that I want my hair tex-laxed and seeing the looks on their faces....

I think you should go for it. Moisture can only help!

I ain't mad at him for knowing his stuff. I can respect ANY stylists who takes the time to learn how to care for all types of hair. Q

I ain't mad at him for knowing his stuff. I can respect ANY stylists who takes the time to learn how to care for all types of hair. Q

we are >><< Queeny. I true stylist, IMO, knows how to deal with all types of hair. I bet he has a very wide customer base.

I know how you feel and I think it is reasonable to want to support and defend your own. But like Q, I ain't mad at him for knowing his stuff and wish there was better education all-around for all stylists.

So... the PJ in me wants to know... what's the moisture treatment????

Girl, you know how many white stylists there are on this board? You probably ran into HairMaster, I think that is his name.

Girl, you know how many white stylists there are on this board? You probably ran into HairMaster, I think that is his name.

I was thinking the same thing...He's suspect, he knew a little too much:look:.

But I do have to add that a white girl told me about my favorite aveda product when I went to a white salon to buy some conditioner.

we are >><< Queeny. A true stylist, IMO, knows how to deal with all types of hair. I bet he has a very wide customer base.

:yep: I'm not one for salons, but a salon where someone is knowledgable like THAT is the only one I would want in my hair.....

:look: My money is green, and my hair is dark brown with red highlights. For real, those are the only two colors that matter.....

I ask him if they do relaxers and he said that they did...he then says "At Aveda we learn about ethnic hair also...I can say that I probably know more about your hair than many black stylists you might have gone to." He then says, "Like, I know all about overlapping, texlaxing, and leaving a slight wave instead of going bone straight."
That's excellent! If I wanted to go to a salon and I lived in Atlanta I would be calling Joseph and Friends right now and scheduling an appt. with Troy.

EXACTLY!!!!!! We need more of them in cleveland...:yep:
I found one in Cleveland :look:...A white stylist at an Aveda salon...she hooked a sista up! PM me...

I agree that Aveda stylists are well versed in ALL hair textures which is why I love them and their products so. Someone else posted that their stylist suggested the Color Conserve line as well, especially the treatment. Its more moisture based than protein based, which might be exactly what we need. I'm going to exchange my Sap Moss poo and try the Color Conserve conditioner now!

I ain't mad at him either...that's the joy of going to cosmetology school and becoming a liscenced stylist. One has to learn theory and have "hands on experience". He sounds like he has both.

When I attended cosmetology school, all of my teachers were white and they knew their stuff!! We had to do whatever hair walked through that door from Monday through Saturday!

I have never been to an Aveda Salon, but a moisture treatment? Go for it!!!

This must be a new generation of Aveda because when I went to an Aveda salon in detroit (of all places) they told me that the only person who knew how to do "black" hair was the owner and she was no longer practicing. I also suspect that he too may be a hairboard lurker and it's alright with me. It would be a dream of mine to go to a salon and not have people freak out with confusion about my texlax hair. Until then only my hands are treating my hair!

Maybe we should donate some internet services with hairboards bookmarked to some of these stylists. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

This must be a new generation of Aveda because when I went to an Aveda salon in detroit (of all places) they told me that the only person who knew how to do "black" hair was the owner and she was no longer practicing. I also suspect that he too may be a hairboard lurker and it's alright with me. It would be a dream of mine to go to a salon and not have people freak out with confusion about my texlax hair. Until then only my hands are treating my hair!

Maybe we should donate some internet services with hairboards bookmarked to some of these stylists. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Did you go to an Aveda Salon or an Aveda Concept Salon, where the stylist aren't all Aveda trained, but the salon is authorized to sell Aveda products and do some training from Aveda?

Last edited:
Did you go to an Aveda Salon or an Aveda Concept Salon, where the stylist aren't all Aveda trained, but the salon is authorized to sell Aveda products and do some training from Aveda?

I honestly don't know I'm not from Detroit and that was the first time I went there but if I ever try their products again I'll go to an Aveda Salon only.Thanks!

My dear Sister!... How fortunate you are! Don't be scerred girl; ask him for some references from his african american clients. If he knows his stuff; then he should have at least 2-3 that are willing to endorse him

It sounds like you've found a good stylists - I would be booking appointments left and right b/c the pickins in VA for quality stylists are slim.

my mom always tells me how she got her best growth with white stylists (almost BSL back in the day! :yawn:) and that it wasn't until her and my dad relocated that she got with a scissor-happy brotha who took her down to her (now signature) short-do. [she always seemed a little bitter about that tho....:nono: and i honestly can't blame her]

I like Troy already!

You should ask him to show his technique.....you can tell him to apply a deep conditioner to your new growth the same way he would do a relaxer and see what he does. You can make up a story and say you like to deep conditon your new growth two weeks pre-touch up ;)

Well, if he cares enough to come on this board to learn about ethnic hair than he is worth a try, IMO.

another vote for troy!!!! i agree ask for a reference from one of his aa clients and ask them questions about his technique OR ask if he has any appointments lined up with any aa clients and do a "sit in" and watch his work... he sounds soooo in the know on hair like he would really pay attention to your hair!!! i want a stylist that is about the health of hair, ALL hair... good luck and keep us posted!!

I have to admit that Troy really made an impression on me too.

I don't have an issue seeing a white stylist...I used to when I was natural and she was great and very nice.

Let me share more of what he said...

He said he really liked the Smooth Infusion line and used that on all types of hair...even curly. He didn't like the Be Curly line at all. He loved the Sap Moss and Brilliant. He said he hated the Humectant Pomade and Serums and that they made the hair feel like "bacon grease". He also said that Aveda is realizing that they need to offer people a better variety of products for specific hair needs.

He also knew about how black stylists let the relaxer burn and that's how they knew you were "ready". I swear it seemed he knew too much!

He also said that he would never cut our hair wet. He flatirons it out first.

I might have to make an appointment for this treatment tomorrow. A sistah gets paid too? Shoot, ya'll know it's on!

Back