Check out what the Aveda boy said to me today...kinda long

$72 for the treatment? How much is the product itself? Let us know how the treatment turns out and exactly what he did and used. IF it helped your breakage or not. You need to be our guniea pig :look:. Take notes :look: :lachen:

Looking into steamers now, a lot of you guy requested one.

:look: hmm i don't see what's wrong with him knowing more than some black hair stylists, a trained hair stylist is a trained hair stylist. It's like saying male gynecologists are not as good as female gynecologists because they don't have the same equipment.
If the person is trained, has sufficient experience and actually listens to me, I'll go to him/her.

$70 seems a bit high to me!! I'd call and ask someone else about that...At my salon custom "Hair Therapy" is only $30 additional to any other service. Ohhh, maybe the $70 includes the treatment, wash, style, etc.

Girl you'd be surprised what white folks know about our hair and vice versa. Hair is hair and I think if you are going to a good salon then they should be able to style any texture and do any technique. Besides, if you can learn to do color well, then you can take the time to learn a relaxer. Color is nothing easy.

Last edited:
$70 seems a bit high to me!! I'd call and ask someone else about that...At my salon custom "Hair Therapy" is only $30 additional to any other service. Ohhh, maybe the $70 includes the treatment, wash, style, etc.

It includes everything...Shampoo, scalp massage, treatment, blowdry, flatiron, style...etc.

This must be a new generation of Aveda because when I went to an Aveda salon in detroit (of all places) they told me that the only person who knew how to do "black" hair was the owner and she was no longer practicing. I also suspect that he too may be a hairboard lurker and it's alright with me. It would be a dream of mine to go to a salon and not have people freak out with confusion about my texlax hair. Until then only my hands are treating my hair!

Maybe we should donate some internet services with hairboards bookmarked to some of these stylists. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

ITA! I'm really happy for the member's who've had success w/Aveda salons, but I dont think that's AVEDA everywhere. So just be careful ladies. Ask questions...

I saw a 3 AVEDA students while shopping one day. We were standing in a long line/crowed store, so I asked the girls if they were familiar w/blowing out natural hair. One girl looked at me *the becky look* and said, imo rather loudly...'We dont do weaves'. I said, 'I didnt ask you if you did weaves, I asked you if you're familiar w/a practice of using a blowdryer to blow dry hair straight'. Then came the chuckles, and even more loudly... 'Yes, but we wouldnt be able to do your hair, because they dont allow us to do weaves.' So I said, 'Well for your information, I dont have a weave *Just shy of a flatironed Brastrap ponytail*, but if you cant tell the difference between a weave and natural hair, I think you've choosen the wrong profession!'

Pissed me off! I called the Aveda school and asked if they gave instruction on black hair or different textures of hair and they put me on the phone w/the black girl. She was very nice. We had a short convo and she said, at her school, unfamiliarity w/black hair was not uncommon. When blacks come in to have their hair done, the whites shy away and tell the clients it would be better to let her do their hair.

I have to admit that Troy really made an impression on me too.

I might have to make an appointment for this treatment tomorrow. A sistah gets paid too? Shoot, ya'll know it's on![/quote]

Ok...This is getting really tempting. I'm not feeling those prices though. I live in ATL and I have an appointment with my stylist in the morning. Since this is so short notice I'm going to stick with mine BUT...if you go to Troy and have good reviews then I'm definately trying him next time. If you are not happy with his service, you can PM me for my stylist's info.

For anyone who lives in ATL, I'll tell you Suite 353 (formally Touch n' Go) is all about HAIR CARE. Most people (literally) that comes through there has beautiful long hair. The stylist (Sherri) has cut her hair TWICE and it is longer than mine...:lachen:. She doesn't even use flat irons or heating appliances (guess she doesn't like them). I only go there for touch ups and an occassional rollersets.

But anyway, didn't mean to highjack your thread ShiShi...

Please keep us updated about Troy if you decide to use him.

ITA! I'm really happy for the member's who've had success w/Aveda salons, but I dont think that's AVEDA everywhere. So just be careful ladies. Ask questions...

I saw a 3 AVEDA students while shopping one day. We were standing in a long line/crowed store, so I asked the girls if they were familiar w/blowing out natural hair. One girl looked at me *the becky look* and said, imo rather loudly...'We dont do weaves'. I said, 'I didnt ask you if you did weaves, I asked you if you're familiar w/a practice of using a blowdryer to blow dry hair straight'. Then came the chuckles, and even more loudly... 'Yes, but we wouldnt be able to do your hair, because they dont allow us to do weaves.' So I said, 'Well for your information, I dont have a weave *Just shy of a flatironed Brastrap ponytail*, but if you cant tell the difference between a weave and natural hair, I think you've choosen the wrong profession!'

Pissed me off! I called the Aveda school and asked if they gave instruction on black hair or different textures of hair and they put me on the phone w/the black girl. She was very nice. We had a short convo and she said, at her school, unfamiliarity w/black hair was not uncommon. When blacks come in to have their hair done, the whites shy away and tell the clients it would be better to let her do their hair.

Hey Lotus what idiots those girls are. What city are you In? I'm in Miami and it's not much better here, but they would never be that crass, because of the huge hispanic population every salon says "we do ethnic hair" if they didn't they would be broke.:lachen::lachen: But, every Senorita don't have hair like mine.:grin:

Last edited:
This must be a new generation of Aveda because when I went to an Aveda salon in detroit (of all places) they told me that the only person who knew how to do "black" hair was the owner and she was no longer practicing. I also suspect that he too may be a hairboard lurker and it's alright with me. It would be a dream of mine to go to a salon and not have people freak out with confusion about my texlax hair. Until then only my hands are treating my hair!

Maybe we should donate some internet services with hairboards bookmarked to some of these stylists. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

You haveto find a stylist that loves what they do and except them as knowing what they say, I've had too many rejection to stay in the business.
thank you ladys for the endorsements.

At first when I heard $70.00 for a treatment I thought that was really high.

But since it includes the whole service I think you should go for it.

Have any natural heads had good results from going to Aveda to have their hair straightened?

One girl looked at me *the becky look* and said, imo rather loudly...'We dont do weaves'. I said, 'I didnt ask you if you did weaves, I asked you if you're familiar w/a practice of using a blowdryer to blow dry hair straight'. Then came the chuckles, and even more loudly... 'Yes, but we wouldnt be able to do your hair, because they dont allow us to do weaves.' So I said, 'Well for your information, I dont have a weave *Just shy of a flatironed Brastrap ponytail*, but if you cant tell the difference between a weave and natural hair, I think you've choosen the wrong profession!'

I got that same comment when I arrived for my appointment at an Aveda salon (some months back), and I have relaxed hair. They stood off to the side whispering and then ran their fingers through my hair to confirm when I responded that I don't have a weave. My treatment turned out great in spite of the initial misunderstanding :rolleyes:.

I got that same comment when I arrived for my appointment at an Aveda salon (some months back), and I have relaxed hair. They stood off to the side whispering and then ran their fingers through my hair to confirm when I responded that I don't have a weave. My treatment turned out great in spite of the initial misunderstanding :rolleyes:.

This go to show you the forum is educating the masses that black hair can be healthy and long. I think we need to make cards that have the LONG HAIR CARE FORUM on them and give them out to our fellow man be them black or white.

At first when I heard $70.00 for a treatment I thought that was really high.

But since it includes the whole service I think you should go for it.

Have any natural heads had good results from going to Aveda to have their hair straightened?
Im a natural that had a really great experience at aveda...but of course the AA stylist quit and she gave me her number and i cant find it:ohwell: The rest of the salon workers were scared of my hair:nono:

Is that their custom moisture treatment you can only get in their concept salons? I see it sold on eBay for $5 bucks starting price. I heard great things about it though.

Many people realize there is big money servicing our hair so they are becoming better educated on it. I would not be disappointed b/c he was non-black and could speak to our hair and its unique needs.

More options for you.

So I go into Joseph and Friends which is an Aveda concept salon. I wanted to just look at the DR and price it. This guy named Troy starts to ask me what I was looking for and I told him the DR. He tells me that the DR is really for hair that is beyond hope...truly "fried". He says that he thinks that it is too much protein for my hair. He suggested to Color Conserve instead...he raved about it and said he liked it a lot more than the DR. I told him that I used the DR because I was experiencing breakage and it really helped slow it up...I told him that the cause was most likely the Natural Instincts rinse. He told me that these over the counter rinses change their formulas often and they don't tell the consumer or it could have been old stuff. I agreed. I ask him if they do relaxers and he said that they did...he then says "At Aveda we learn about ethnic hair also...I can say that I probably know more about your hair than many black stylists you might have gone to." He then says, "Like, I know all about overlapping, texlaxing, and leaving a slight wave instead of going bone straight." I was like :blush:.

The thing that is so disappointing is that I couldn't really rebuttle him about that. I wanted to say, "No one knows more about OUR hair than our own people" but viewing so many posts about scissor happy stylists, applying relaxer on a woman who clearly has a hair fungus, coloring fiasco's etc. it just made me sad to think that this man probably DOES know more than many black stylists...I'm not saying ALL but he could probably out talk a several when it comes to him SPEAKING OF TECHNIQUE..of course I'd have to see his work.

He did offer me the moisture treatment...it's 72.00 and he said it was phenomenal for restoring moisture...and if you needed a little protein he could mix them for a customized treatment. You sit under the steamer for about 15 min. and the results last for about 3-4 weeks.

I was VERY tempted to schedule something with him but I am scared.

I don't know...thanks for reading.

My Aveda stylist, who comes to your home, strongly recommended the Color Conserve line since I have color and am natural. She says it imparts more moisture than the DR line.

I found one in Cleveland :look:...A white stylist at an Aveda salon...she hooked a sista up! PM me...

I agree that Aveda stylists are well versed in ALL hair textures which is why I love them and their products so. Someone else posted that their stylist suggested the Color Conserve line as well, especially the treatment. Its more moisture based than protein based, which might be exactly what we need. I'm going to exchange my Sap Moss poo and try the Color Conserve conditioner now!

My Aveda stylist, who comes to your home, strongly recommended the Color Conserve line since I have color and am natural. She says it imparts more moisture than the DR line.
:yep: Yes, it was your post in the other thread I remembered reading that about the CC line!! I'll be tryin that line out next.

It happens every now and then. There are white stylist that really know how to do ethic hair. I had one white hairdresser long time ago. Now she couldn't style my hair but she could really take care of your hair. I was a teenager and she was a very older white lady recommended by my mom's best friend who is also black. That lady whipped my hair back in shape using Nexxus products. The only problem is that she was too far away so we stop going. So the very next stylist that did my hair could really style and she seem to be into hair care to. She did my hair the first time and my hair had really grown a little past my shoulders. I didn't even know it and it really was because of that white stylist.

Last edited:
70$ is chump change in Long Island. They charge you separate for ever little thing you do. One place was going to charge me 10$ extra for a relaxer and roller set. I used to spend 100$ plus to get my hair done before I started doing it myself. I'm just lucky to still have hair after all my many hair experiments.:rolleyes::lachen:

So I go into Joseph and Friends which is an Aveda concept salon. I wanted to just look at the DR and price it. This guy named Troy starts to ask me what I was looking for and I told him the DR. He tells me that the DR is really for hair that is beyond hope...truly "fried". He says that he thinks that it is too much protein for my hair. He suggested to Color Conserve instead...he raved about it and said he liked it a lot more than the DR. I told him that I used the DR because I was experiencing breakage and it really helped slow it up...I told him that the cause was most likely the Natural Instincts rinse. He told me that these over the counter rinses change their formulas often and they don't tell the consumer or it could have been old stuff. I agreed. I ask him if they do relaxers and he said that they did...he then says "At Aveda we learn about ethnic hair also...I can say that I probably know more about your hair than many black stylists you might have gone to." He then says, "Like, I know all about overlapping, texlaxing, and leaving a slight wave instead of going bone straight." I was like :blush:.

The thing that is so disappointing is that I couldn't really rebuttle him about that. I wanted to say, "No one knows more about OUR hair than our own people" but viewing so many posts about scissor happy stylists, applying relaxer on a woman who clearly has a hair fungus, coloring fiasco's etc. it just made me sad to think that this man probably DOES know more than many black stylists...I'm not saying ALL but he could probably out talk a several when it comes to him SPEAKING OF TECHNIQUE..of course I'd have to see his work.
He did offer me the moisture treatment...it's 72.00 and he said it was phenomenal for restoring moisture...and if you needed a little protein he could mix them for a customized treatment. You sit under the steamer for about 15 min. and the results last for about 3-4 weeks.

I was VERY tempted to schedule something with him but I am scared.

I don't know...thanks for reading.

He probably does know more. I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of our stylists don't even know how to deal with our hair in it's natural state. They just know how to slap a perm on and get it as straight as possible. Also, just because someone has gone to beauty school and is licensed it doesn't mean that they practice the correct procedures and techniques.

ETA: I'm surprised he actually said texlax. He has to be a hairboard lurker.

Last edited:

ummm yah. I got my hair highlighted at Aveda by an Asian girl. She asked me if my hair was relaxed (I'm quite clearly a natural 4b), she then said "You hair is tighter at the nape right?". I said no, my hair is much looser at the name (it was like she memorized a textbook or something). She didn't know that my hair would be easier to comb when wet/damp. And when everything was done, she tried to part it down the middle so it would hang down:nono:. I later realized she did the highlights mostly in the crown of my head so the color would hang down and it would look like it was all over. :ohwell: My hair does not hang. I ended up picking my afro myself. I assumed they would have sent me to the colorist that was experienced with black hair, but I guess not.

The second time I went to set up an appointment for highlights, I asked if anyone was experienced doing natural black hair. They found a guy who "had done it before". Which isn't the same as being experienced in my opinion. I didn't end up getting the highlights because my schedule changed.

This was an Aveda salon. Not a concept one. An Aveda salon with an attached Aveda school.

Lys

ummm yah. I got my hair highlighted at Aveda by an Asian girl. She asked me if my hair was relaxed (I'm quite clearly a natural 4b), she then said "You hair is tighter at the nape right?". I said no, my hair is much looser at the name (it was like she memorized a textbook or something). She didn't know that my hair would be easier to comb when wet/damp. And when everything was done, she tried to part it down the middle so it would hang down:nono:. I later realized she did the highlights mostly in the crown of my head so the color would hang down and it would look like it was all over. :ohwell: My hair does not hang. I ended up picking my afro myself. I assumed they would have sent me to the colorist that was experienced with black hair, but I guess not.

The second time I went to set up an appointment for highlights, I asked if anyone was experienced doing natural black hair. They found a guy who "had done it before". Which isn't the same as being experienced in my opinion. I didn't end up getting the highlights because my schedule changed.

This was an Aveda salon. Not a concept one. An Aveda salon with an attached Aveda school.
Lys

I think this confirms that are man in question may be a hairboard lurker. Good for him! However, I still think that improvements in 3b to 4b education is too slow in progressing (even for aveda). Case in point, my sister went to beauty school for hair and today she asks "me" questions about hair health, while I only go to her for design. It's funny, but I remember being in highschool reading her textbook more than her when she through the program and she was one of their top students. I think the emphasis of these programs has been more on style than hair health and we the client suffer the consequences.

ETA: Lotus so, so sorry this happened to you.:nono:

Last edited:
You haveto find a stylist that loves what they do and except them as knowing what they say, I've had too many rejection to stay in the business.
thank you ladys for the endorsements.

Hairmaster, I've searched and searched and although many love what they do, it doesn't mean they know how to do it. I still have hope but I have yet been lucky enough to find the "one."

ETA - I still would rec Aveda products, so my lil rant is against stylists not educated enough only.

Last edited:
Back