Aveda Damage Remedy Users

I am using the conditioner for the first time and it is the ish!! I can't bring myself to use it as a leave in yet. I have too many of those lying around.

Is this to be used as a protein reconstructor (like Keraphix) or a moisturing conditioner (like Humectress)? If it's a protein reconstructor, isn't deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner necessary?

Isis said:
Is this to be used as a protein reconstructor (like Keraphix) or a moisturing conditioner (like Humectress)? If it's a protein reconstructor, isn't deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner necessary?

The treatment IMO is not what I consider a protein treat. Maybe a very moisturizing reconstructor. I never need a deep moisture treatment afterwards, IMO it is moisturizing enough.

MizaniMami said:
The treatment IMO is not what I consider a protein treat. Maybe a very moisturizing reconstructor. I never need a deep moisture treatment afterwards, IMO it is moisturizing enough.
Thank you. I asked because I notice it features quinoa protein on the label. I received a free sample recently. So are you leaving it just in 3 to 5 minutes?

Isis said:
Thank you. I asked because I notice it features quinoa protein on the label. I received a free sample recently. So are you leaving it just in 3 to 5 minutes?

Girl nah, lol. I leave it in for about 15-30 minutes. :lol: The shortest I left it in was 10 minutes.

MizaniMami said:
Girl nah, lol. I leave it in for about 15-30 minutes. :lol: The shortest I left it in was 10 minutes.

I know that's right. That stuff is too expensive to leave in for 3-5 min...I just purchased some yesterday and will be using it tomorrow (for the 1st time at home, I've only ever used it at Aveda salons in the past)

Ok, I understand. :lol:
Is anyone having any conflicts with the 'cones in ADR, such as when using leave-ins and serums or daily moisturizers?

Isis said:
Yeah I was worried about that too, but I've NEVER felt I needed a moisturizing DC after using it. It's just the right amount of protein to add strength w/o making it hard. :yep:

Neroli said:
Thanks Mazani. That's actually what I was asking for, the treatment ingredients. Hmmmm, it's got a couple of insoluable cones . . . . oh well, that just stopped my curiousity cold! Thanks for the prompt response . . .

Why should I be worried about insoluable cones? What affect does this have on hair?

I just broke down and bought the larger sizes - I loved how the smaller bottles worked on my hair.

sareca said:
Yeah I was worried about that too, but I've NEVER felt I needed a moisturizing DC after using it. It's just the right amount of protein to add strength w/o making it hard. :yep:
This is good to know. It sounds like a 2 in 1 treatment then.

Isis and Serenity,
I am not too worried about the cones. I use it twice a week with a clarifying poo as my first lather once during the week and I don't experience any buildup. I was using it for a while with out a clarifying poo with no buildup. I can't promise the results will be the same for you but for me it worked out fine.

Now keracare on the other hand has less cones but more buildup for me. Who knew?? But I still use them both together.

All in all, the cones don't bother me much. But then again I don't use it daily.

SerenityBreeze said:
Why should I be worried about insoluable cones? What affect does this have on hair?

I just broke down and bought the larger sizes - I loved how the smaller bottles worked on my hair.

Insoluable cones only wash out with shampoo with sulfates, which some people find stripping. Aveda DR's shampoo has no sulfates so it would be best to clarify once in a while. But I see you have been getting good results without clarifying, so I don't think you should be worried.

I wanted the liter sizes soooo bad. I can't wait to purchase them!

Thanks for the response - I have not experienced any "build up feeling" As far as the liter sizes, I bought both of the conditioners - Next week I will buy mthe Shampoo as I still have some left in the 8 oz. Plus, My pocket book could not handle all three at once!

Hey girlie I just purchased the Remedy damage reconstructor condish. Is the poo and con any good too? Also have you tried the Aveda Elixir or anyone? Its a leave-in and I'm always on the hunt for leave-ins!

Hey Ladies,

Has anyone had any breakage from this line do to too much protein. I am relaxed and color treated, but my stylist keeps telling me to stay away from protein, except when I see her (every 2-3wks) she tells me I need a deep cond and protein treatment. I'm beginning to wonder about her motives. Do you think I can use this line w/o breakage? She has me scared of protein?

LadyJ76 said:
Hey Ladies,

Has anyone had any breakage from this line do to too much protein. I am relaxed and color treated, but my stylist keeps telling me to stay away from protein, except when I see her (every 2-3wks) she tells me I need a deep cond and protein treatment. I'm beginning to wonder about her motives. Do you think I can use this line w/o breakage? She has me scared of protein?

I am not sure of her motives either? How long have you been going to her? Alot of stylists will tell you not to use protein/deep condtioning treatments so you have to come to them for treatments. That is money in their pocket you know. I am relaxed also and when I was colored treated I did my own protein/deep conditioner treatments with no problem. My stylist even told me what to use.

vikkisecret said:
Hey girlie I just purchased the Remedy damage reconstructor condish. Is the poo and con any good too? Also have you tried the Aveda Elixir or anyone? Its a leave-in and I'm always on the hunt for leave-ins!

i actually think the condish is a little better than the reconstructor. But to each is it's own. I actually use the condish as a leave-in too.

I tried the elixir and it was too much protein for my hair. made it feel hard. but there are a lot of ladies that love this. just not me.

the poo is good because it has no sulfates. i'm in love with the whole line.

I ran out of conditioner last night. :eek: You should of have seen me shakin' the bottle like an addict. I thought I had at least 2 more co-washes left, especially since I dilute it for my braids. Anyway, I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the liter size. *sigh*

Tell me I'm not the only crazy one?

sareca said:
I ran out of conditioner last night. :eek: You should of have seen me shakin' the bottle like an addict. I thought I had at least 2 more co-washes left, especially since I dilute it for my braids. Anyway, I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the liter size. *sigh*

Tell me I'm not the only crazy one?

You're not!!!! I am going to buy the liter sizes too. But I need to step my money game up first.

I am out too, and I am going to have to cut open the ends of those bottles to get the rest of the product out. Girl, I am trying to get the LAST drop:lol:

nikki1971 said:
I am not sure of her motives either? How long have you been going to her? Alot of stylists will tell you not to use protein/deep condtioning treatments so you have to come to them for treatments. That is money in their pocket you know. I am relaxed also and when I was colored treated I did my own protein/deep conditioner treatments with no problem. My stylist even told me what to use.

Nikki1971,

I have been going to her for about a year now. She is a good stylist and I love the way she does my relaxers, but when I hear all of the ladies here at LHCF and how protein is essential it makes me wonder. I'm going to follow my instincts and do my own protein treatments. I am doing the DR treatment right now. I am going to make the Aveda DR line my one line and see what happens. My hair is growing like crazy (thanks to all the advice from LHCF) but, I still have a little breakage at the ends hopefully this line will help that.

MizaniMami said:
You're not!!!! I am going to buy the liter sizes too. But I need to step my money game up first.

I am out too, and I am going to have to cut open the ends of those bottles to get the rest of the product out. Girl, I am trying to get the LAST drop:lol:

I don't blame you. I tried to rinse the empty bottle by sucking water into it. It looked like I'd already done that 'cause nothin' came out. :eek::mad::ohwell:

sareca said:
I don't blame you. I tried to rinse the empty bottle by sucking water into it. It looked like I'd already done that 'cause nothin' came out. :eek::mad::ohwell:
:lachen: I can imagine the frustration! That happened to me once with a bottle of Headress. It only had a little water left in the bottle from the last time I rinsed it out for my hair.:lol:

Ok, I have an update. I think I said somewhere in here that I was going to use Aveda (the conditioner not the treatment) on my braids. Well I did and my hair was mushy madness when I took the braids out. But after a couple protein and henna treatments is all good and I'm back to using it. Just wanted to let ya'll know, it's not good for braids.

Okay after reading this thread I am going to go ahead and try the AVEDA Damage Remedy Line. I love AVEDA products, just never ventured and tried the DAMAGE REMEDY line. Now I am sold. Off to purchase after work. "Maybe" this will be my FALL / WINTER Exclusive shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner ? ;)

michelle3147 said:
I have been eyeing those products but they are so expensive. I just don't want to cough up that much cash on something that may not be all that good.

Ditto, I feel the same way. I have been looking at Aveda for a long time too.......dang I really want to buy some. Maybe I can get the 4oz bottles so I don't have to spend too much $$$$ on something that might not work

nikki1971 said:

Don't even get me started on stylist:mad: Some of them aren't right, they just want your money and will tell you anything to keep you coming to them. That's why we have to know what's best for our hair and what remedies work and what doesn't work

Back