Check out my Granny's waist length hair.

Re: Check out my Granny\'s waist length hair.

Her hair looked gorgeous
smile.gif
do you know how often she would wash her hair?

Wow this brought back memories......

My grandmother (maternal) also had waist length hair. She also washed it once a week, airdried it in four "plaits" as they call them in Barbados
grin.gif
, and used no conditioner that I know of. On Saturdays, she would grease hers, and her daughters' hair and press it for church on Sunday.

Her hair was gorgeous...waistlength and pure white until the day she died.

[ QUOTE ]
curlybun said:
Her hair looked gorgeous
smile.gif
do you know how often she would wash her hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

She washes her hair once a week in the summer.
She washes once every two weeks in the winter.

Because she lives in Miami she said that she has to do her hair once a week because it goes back so fast in the summer.

She told me that when she was a teenager she lived in GA and in the winter months she would only press her hair once every 4 to 6 six weeks. (I know...sounds gross doesn't it)

My granny also has severe Dermatitis just like used to have. She and I both used to comb out quarter size flakes from our scalps. She has flare ups once every few months.

When her Dermatitis flares up she scratches up her scalp and lets the dandruff shampoo sit on her hair for about a 30 minutes. She then does her normal routine of no conditioner and press and curl. After she presses her hair she rubs a little grease on her scalp. She said that she applies the grease to her scalp after she presses her hair.

"Id burn my scalp all up with hot grease if I oiled my scalp before I used the hot comb!" she said.

Wow. Incredible! I'm going for more simplicity, myself. When she presses her hair, does she put the Blue Magic stuff in first, or last?

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I wish I could have such a simple regimen. Your Granny is a beautiful lady. Hmph. The entire family is beautiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the complement Allandra.

I'd like to ad that my Grandmother does not moisturize her hair during the week and she sleeps with an old pair of cotton panties on her head.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO i remember those days
grin.gif
walking around the house with some underwear on my head!!

Go granny, Go granny! :::doin' the cabbage patch for granny:::

Oh, I just love this picture, the hair, the styles, the clothing! Did you guys notice how the dresses back then were more flattering to curvaceous figures? Pretty, pretty, pretty!

AfashionSlave, I am not convinced her regimen was the reason she grew her hair that long. Her daugthers don't have her length, even though your granny must have applied the same hair regimen to her daugthers hair. Therefore, in the case of your grandma, I suspect it might be genetics. Some folks will grow long hair no matter what they do.
laugh.gif
Other folks need a lil help.
smile.gif

Beautiful family and your Grandmother has beautiful hair. Thanks for sharing with us
smile.gif

I think the reason that the girls have short hair is because they got perms and the grandmother didn't.

Afashionslave wrote
[ QUOTE ]
She told me that after her daughters started getting perms in the late seventies she watched their hair break right off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Megonw wrote
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think they had relaxers as we know them in the 60's- I think they used straight lye on their hair, but most pressed hair in the kitchen with a metal comb and a hot burner!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think the reason that the girls have short hair is because they got perms and the grandmother didn't.

Afashionslave wrote

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She told me that after her daughters started getting perms in the late seventies she watched their hair break right off.

and of course back then, people probably knew very little about caring for relaxed hair. Glad it's 2004 and I have LHCF!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that pic is priceless. Absolutely beautiful. The fashion, the hair, the poise. (sigh) It seems all that's been lost to this generation.

AFS,

Your grandmother is beautiful and has lovely hair
smile.gif
. As a matter of fact, the whole family looks great. I love those old pictures. By the way, my Mom still uses the Blue Magic greas; the blue kind.

Chichi
bdance.gif

Your family is beautiful, especially the foxy granny with the gorgeous hair
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]

Afashionslave wrote

Quote:

and of course back then, people probably knew very little about caring for relaxed hair. Glad it's 2004 and I have LHCF!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not convinced. According to AFashionSlave, this picture was taken in 1964. The daugthers start perming in the 70s. So perming does not explain why the daugthers do not have their mother's length in this picture.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]

Afashionslave wrote

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not trying to force any anti-relaxer talk on you ladies. When I said
[ QUOTE ]
My grandmother has always done her own hair. She has never had a hair relaxer. She told me that she thought about using permanents in the late seventies, but she decided against it. She told me that after her daughters started getting perms in the late seventies she watched their hair break right off.

shocked.gif
I can only imagine how strong hair relaxers were in the seventies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not trying to insult anyone with a hair relaxer or say that my grandmother's hair grew long because she was relaxer free. My grandmother told me that home hair relaxers were very strong back in the 1970s. She told me that permanents smelled like rotten eggs back then.

She has the same regimen as my grandmother in the 60s too. my grandmothers hair wasnt waist length though. She doesnt like long hair. She said the longest her hair has ever been was brastrap and she cut it to her ears before deciding to grow out any longer. Its good that you mentioned that she didnt use any conditioners because they didnt have alot of products on the market anyway especially for black hair. Your grandmother is really beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:
Oh, I just love this picture, the hair, the styles, the clothing! Did you guys notice how the dresses back then were more flattering to curvaceous figures? Pretty, pretty, pretty!

AfashionSlave, I am not convinced her regimen was the reason she grew her hair that long. Her daugthers don't have her length, even though your granny must have applied the same hair regimen to her daugthers hair. Therefore, in the case of your grandma, I suspect it might be genetics. Some folks will grow long hair no matter what they do.
laugh.gif
Other folks need a lil help.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with you that genetics must play a part in hair growth.

The two ladies standing on the right (my mother & my aunt) had long hair (well past shoulders) until they entered high school. From what I remember correctly my mother and my Aunt Joyce were allowed to cut their hair once they entered high school. My mother wanted to wear a bouffant with a flip so she jumped at the chance to cut her hair.

I do not know why the littlest one's (my aunt) hair is so short. I'll have to ask my granny.

I do know that my Aunt Sherry the second one from the left has short hair because she was an extreme tomboy. My grandmother told me that my aunt would play outside in that Florida sun until her hair turned an orange/brown color. My granny said that she would sweat in her hair something awful and she only washed her hair once a week like the rest of her sisters.

WOW! Your Grandmother is Beautiful! Thanks! for sharing the pic beautiful family! I'm on board with her simple is the best!

No need to apologize about what you said about relaxers. Everyone is entitled to their opinions! Again thanks for sharing the Lovely Picture!

Your grandmother's hair is gorgeous and the whole family looks classy and beautiful, what a great picture! :-)

Back