Changing your last name??

likewtr4chklit

I've been married for like 5 days LOL and today is my first day back at work. My co-workers are finding great pleasure in calling me Mrs. Major, and then it dawned on me....do I have to change my name on all my document? My license (ok who am I kidding, my non-driver's ID), and my SS card? How many of you changed your names on all of your official document? Is it really that important? BTW on my marriage license my surname has changed.

I changed when I was married before but I will not do it again. Honestly it is up to you BUT you must be consistant, change your name on everything or change it on nothing. You are still married regardless.

I work for Social Security and woman are coming in after they have been married 50/11 trying to change their name and they don't have any id in their maiden name and that is an issue.

PM me if you have specific questions.

I've been married for like 5 days LOL and today is my first day back at work. My co-workers are finding great pleasure in calling me Mrs. Major, and then it dawned on me....do I have to change my name on all my document? My license (ok who am I kidding, my non-driver's ID), and my SS card? How many of you changed your names on all of your official document? Is it really that important? BTW on my marriage license my surname has changed.
In all honesty, changing your name is only as "important" as it is to you (i.e. you can still go through life just fine if you and your husband have different last names). If you are going to change your last name, it is important that you do it on EVERYTHING (i.e. driver licenses, passports, title to your car, credit cards, at your bank, etc.). The very first thing you need to do is to go to the SSA and have a new social security card issued (bring your marriage license, old social security card, and a copy of your marriage license). About 24 hours later, you can go to the DMV (armed with your new social security card and a valid photo ID) and have a new driver's license issued with your new name. Different companies have different policies for making the name change, but everything else will be a piece of cake after that. :yep:

I only changed my name at work. I didn't change my license, SS card or utility bills. It's really up to you.

Congratulations newlywed!

Not sure how much truth there is to this, but I heard if you keep change your name completely and your man wants to screw you over say for example by clearing out bank accounts etc. it can be done. It's some sort of loop hole - I believe it was in Tyler Perry's first movie, and I heard of a couple that it happened to as well.

Not sure how much truth there is to this, but I heard if you keep change your name completely and your man wants to screw you over say for example by clearing out bank accounts etc. it can be done. It's some sort of loop hole - I believe it was in Tyler Perry's first movie, and I heard of a couple that it happened to as well.

No, only way he can screw you out is with a divorce decree or legal seperation if they are valid in your state. I betcha some man said that and some foolish woman believed him. Married is married is married until you divorce or in certain states seperate.

Not that I'm aware of. DH and I have one account in common and two separate ones. As far as I know, if the account isn't in your name, you don't have any legal rights to it. Now, if you have a joint account with someone... There are also some instances where married people have to get their spouses signature when they are taking out a loan (since their spouse will be a garantour), but this is something both men and women (regardless of a name change) have to do.

Congrats on your wedding. I have been married one year this month. I plan on changing my name (legally), but just haven't gotten around to it. Honestly, I'm just lazy. Don't feel like dealing with the SSA office, then DMV, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. I will get around to it, but it's not a major deal to me right now. I do use my married name at work (e.g. email and business cards).

Its not necessary to change your name legally unless you want to. It won't change your legal status of being married.

But if you change it on one legal document, you'll have to change it on all (exception being the BC), married or not.

-A

I think I will use my maiden name at work and all official documents, but use my married name among friends and family.

Its not necessary to change your name legally unless you want to. It won't change your legal status of being married.

But if you change it on one legal document, you'll have to change it on all (exception being the BC), married or not.

-A
Thanks for the info Arcadian.

I was stubborn and hyphenated my name. Now my full name is 24 letters long....Not a problem really, but man, when we were signing legal documents for our first mortgage, by the second chunk of paperwork my hand started cramping up on me and hubby and the escrow lady were laughing at me:perplexed

I was stubborn and hyphenated my name. Now my full name is 24 letters long....Not a problem really, but man, when we were signing legal documents for our first mortgage, by the second chunk of paperwork my hand started cramping up on me and hubby and the escrow lady were laughing at me:perplexed

If your name is hyphenated do you still have to change all documents?

I changed mine 6 months after we were married. Even though I had been using the married name since the day I married.

I eventually changed my name. My SS first, 2 months after I got married, and then my DL about 5 months after I got married. My husband was starting to get annoyed but I have had my maiden name for years, hell my whole life and it was hard letting it go. I have had my name officially changed for about a year now and I am used to it finally. Even through the course of the year there were accounts and such that I had in my maiden name that I had to call and change. I mean things like my car, my bank, my cc's....those things I just forgot about. Now my licenses for my job were a whole other ballgame. I completely forgout about those LOL Eventually it all got done. :grin::grin::grin:

I not keen on my future hubbys surname :lachen:but I will change, I will just grin and bear it in lol. Although you are just as much married while retaining your surname it wouldnt seem right to me.

First off congrats!
I would hyphenate it instead of changing it, if you need to have his name. When I first got married, I rushed to hyphenate my name with my ex's. He had a horrible last name that got mispronounced more than my original one. My father was really pissed about this saying, your name is the only thing that ties you to your "real" family from birth...he has a lot of different views on things. Anyways after that first horrible failed marriage, I decided I will never take a man's name again...but that's just me.

I changed to First Husband's name (it was sort of a pain to go back to my maiden name but i didn't want his anymore and we had no children soo..)

and now to DH's which is funny because no one can pronounce it. I'm still trying. :laugh:

i just got married last month and i changed my name on all documents. i did SS first and then the rest from there.

DH felt very strongly about it. It made him proud to change my name...and now I don't even miss my old name. It makes things easier if you do, IMO. But lots of women choose not to and I think if DH doesn't care it's great.

I read a book once when the female character said, "If a woman keeps her maiden name, she don't plan on keeping her husband." I think alot of men feel this way. I just think its funny.

i have three different names, maiden, married and maiden-married

use married at work, and depends how i feel

use maiden on my account that i have had for the past 10 yrs, and depends on how i feel

use maiden-married depending on how i feel, i just got a credit card with maiden-married lol

oh and my ss is maiden-married

ok, why am i thinking of Maid Marian? :laugh:

Robin_Hood_and_Maid_Marian.JPG

Congrats to you! I was ready to get rid of my old name (it was my ex husband's name). I had ALL official documents and everything else changed within 2 weeks after gettting married lol:rofl:

If I hyphenate my name, my full name will be 26 letters long.

Sigh.....

Last edited:
In all honesty, changing your name is only as "important" as it is to you (i.e. you can still go through life just fine if you and your husband have different last names). If you are going to change your last name, it is important that you do it on EVERYTHING (i.e. driver licenses, passports, title to your car, credit cards, at your bank, etc.). The very first thing you need to do is to go to the SSA and have a new social security card issued (bring your marriage license, old social security card, and a copy of your marriage license). About 24 hours later, you can go to the DMV (armed with your new social security card and a valid photo ID) and have a new driver's license issued with your new name. Different companies have different policies for making the name change, but everything else will be a piece of cake after that. :yep:

I totally agree. The decision to change your name is up to you but if you do it, be CONSISTENT and change your name on everything.

Congrats on your wedding. I have been married one year this month. I plan on changing my name (legally), but just haven't gotten around to it. Honestly, I'm just lazy. Don't feel like dealing with the SSA office, then DMV, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. I will get around to it, but it's not a major deal to me right now. I do use my married name at work (e.g. email and business cards).

Same here muy congratulations!!! :drunk:
I've been married since April and haven't changed anything. I haven't gotten around to it and def won' tbe changing it prior to the elections since I'll have to re-register. It's such a hassle to do it properly!!!

Back