Can the short haired sistas also get that swang?

soslychic

PICS BELOW. I just love everybody's bouncin' swingin' hair on this board. It's been the look I'm goin for for awhile but haven't been able to acheive without flat ironing and flipping like my avatar. It won't even boucne if I just flat iron it. It has to be flipped. I'm a texlaxed 4a/b with hair about 3 inches below nape in back and sort of layered all over (not intentional layering. lol :D ) . I just rollerset with almost NO product like I've read- I just used a tiny bit of sebastian's moisture block. I didn't even use a leave-in because I had a good deep condition with joico's intensive hyrator mixed with honey and castor oil (could those products be weighing my hair down?) Well after removing rollers, I did notice that my hair was lighter and moved easier than it ever had been before because of the minimal product. I tried the saran wrap (I stink at wrapping) and it came out ok but my hair still doesn't bounce. So I was wondering if it was my method or if it's just easier for long hair to bounce. So if you got shoulder length or above hair and you still workin' that swang please let me know how you got it. Pics would be nice too! :D Thanks all!

Here are some pics. I cornrowed the side

Eriquitaspics348.jpg

Eriquitaspics355.jpg

Eriquitaspics353.jpg

Last edited:
Bump...There was a thread about short hair and I believe styling, and I know a couple of those ladies should know something. Im about to go get it.
OK I couldnt find it because for some reason I cant search, but I think the tittle had "short" in it...

Anyway, when my hair was shorter it was def. harder for it to swing or move. It would take way more heat to look good. I think from the last pic though you need one of those small flatirons to really get your roots. Also what used to work for me were really good wet wraps.

Last edited:
When my hair was short a few year ago I use to use the Oprah method of using a round brush to blow dry. The bristles had to be coming out of metal holes. It always gave me swing after flat ironing.

my hair was cut to about the same length as urs and it had swang. my hairstylist used to do it but i could do it too with a rollerset and virtually no products.

I've seen hair that was an inch long with swang...don't know how it was done but it IS possible. I think it has something to do with the method of blowdrying.

The castor oil may be too heavy. Also what size rollers do you use? Perhaps a smaller roller so the hair is tightly curled after the wet set followed my Macherie's saran technique will give you more body.

When my hair was short a few year ago I use to use the Oprah method of using a round brush to blow dry. The bristles had to be coming out of metal holes. It always gave me swing after flat ironing.

Hmm....I wonder if I could get the same results by just blowing out my roots with a round brush. I don't want to use too much heat.

Thanks for all of your help ladies!

The castor oil may be too heavy. Also what size rollers do you use? Perhaps a smaller roller so the hair is tightly curled after the wet set followed my Macherie's saran technique will give you more body.

I use the red magnetic 1 1/2 inch ones. I was thinking of trying smaller ones. Then I was reading I should use the biggest ones that'll fit on my head to get the straightest hair possible so I went with the red ones. I actually think a size up would still fit though. Who knows though. I'll maybe try smaller ones next time and see if that helps.

I always get "swang" whether my hair was chin-length to SL....I just blow-dry w/ a comb or comb attachment & flat-iron in small sections so that each one is "bone straight" and give it a little "flip" under at the end...IDK for me, any quality ceramic flat-iron gives me "swang." I will post some pics in a little while...can't right now.

As far as the round-brush technique- I think it depends on the products used w/ the brush & the quality of the blow-dryer. You may just end up with "volume" without the bounce.

Last edited:
Maybe try the mixing red with I think green? rollers for the set, then blow the roots with low heat from the underside- then do the saran wrap. Wheeew. I'm anxious to see what happens.

I always get "swang" whether my hair was chin-length to SL....I just blow-dry w/ a comb or comb attachment & flat-iron in small sections so that each one is "bone straight" and give it a little "flip" under at the end...IDK for me, any quality ceramic flat-iron gives me "swang." I will post some pics in a little while...can't right now.

As far as the round-brush technique- I think it depends on the products used w/ the brush & the quality of the blow-dryer. You may just end up with "volume" without the bounce.

Okay, as I was saying earlier, when flat-ironing I make sure to flat iron small sections. The first pic is me with flat-ironed hair. I had a phyto-relaxer (not a fresh one), didn't use a leave-in, and rubbed a SMALL bit of Oscar Blandi Jasmine Oil in my hair before flat-ironing.

The second pic is a roller-set and round-brush technique pic. I got it done at the Dom shop & they used a bunch of products lol, all Dom or salon-quality. I think the reason why you get bounce is the hot ionic blow dryers that get your hair straight-straight.

Sorry this is long, but the trick is for the hair to be bone straight root-tip & not weighed down.

Last edited:
i dont use very much product first of all, just a little leave in and heat protectant, but I noticed that using a paddle brush to blow dry really helps. Ideally, i towel dry with a micro fiber towel, let my hair airdry to like 60% then blow dry with a paddle brush, i make sure to brush the hair in different directions instead of just down. Then, when i flat iron, i use small sections, and before i iron each section i brush it with a boar bristle brush. I feel like the brush separates the strands , allowing movement. i've been swanging consistently ever since i started doing this, and i'm ~8 weeks post relaxer now.

You ladies are so helpful. Thanks! :) I'm going to try first the rollerset, blowing the roots out, and saran wrap because that seems like the least heat method. If that doesn't work, then I may resort to the blowdrying and flatironing on occasion, but I can't do that regularly. My hair will smack me in the face :nono: :D

Back