Can I ask a DUMB question

Hi!
I don't know if that have already been asked but I would like to know how to protect my hair before blow drying. I don't intend to do it shortly but it's a dumb (or not, I let you judge lol) question I wanted to ask for a long time: when you use the heat protectant on hair, is it better to wait it to dry before applying heat or is it possible to blow dry even if the strands are still wet because of the heat protectant? (I've heard that applying heat on wet hair can create bubbles inside strands and weaken them...and it might be the same when hair is "wet" by a heat protectant isn't it??...And please, forgive my bad english. Thanks!

Hi!
I don't know if that have already been asked but I would like to know how to protect my hair before blow drying. I don't intend to do it shortly but it's a dumb (or not, I let you judge lol) question I wanted to ask for a long time: when you use the heat protectant on hair, is it better to wait it to dry before applying heat or is it possible to blow dry even if the strands are still wet because of the heat protectant? (I've heard that applying heat on wet hair can create bubbles inside strands and weaken them...and it might be the same when hair is "wet" by a heat protectant isn't it??...And please, forgive my bad english. Thanks!

You can use a "wet" heat protectant on wet or dry hair before blow drying to prevent damage. You shouldn't use a "wet" (liquid) heat protectant before flat ironing, choose a serum instead of a liquid.

Hi!

You can use a "wet" heat protectant on wet or dry hair before blow drying to prevent damage. You shouldn't use a "wet" (liquid) heat protectant before flat ironing, choose a serum instead of a liquid.

manter26 and Naturelie, I have used a wet heat protectant before flat ironing because the instructions said that you could and they would not recommend that if they hadn't tested it to ensure it was safe and the right way to use the product for good results, methinks, at least as far as this product is concerned. I used John Frieda Heat Defeat whose directions are:

Spray on damp hair and blow-dry straight. For ultra-straightening, spray on small sections of dried hair immediately before using a flat iron.

I had no issues. I use no other product on my hair but heat protectants. First pass of flat iron was after spaying small sections of fully dried and stretched hair (braids or Curlformers to stretch) with this wet protectant working on one section at a time and only spraying the next narrow section after passing iron on first section and so on. Then to seal the press, I repeated the flat iron pass on narrow sections again but this time I used a thermal protectant serum also by John Frieda. My hair didn't revert all week and when I shampooed it, reversion was complete.

The important thing is to apply to narrow sections so you can be sure hair is well coated. Also the reason I first dry my hair fully before doing the wet protectant part of the flat ironing is so that I can be sure that the wetness on every inch of my hair is from protectant, meaning no section is left unprotected.

@manter26 and @Naturelie, I have used a wet heat protectant before flat ironing because the instructions said that you could and they would not recommend that if they hadn't tested it to ensure it was safe and the right way to use the product for good results, methinks, at least as far as this product is concerned. I used John Frieda Heat Defeat whose directions are:

I had no issues. I use no other product on my hair but heat protectants. First pass of flat iron was after spaying small sections of fully dried and stretched hair (braids or Curlformers to stretch) with this wet protectant working on one section at a time and only spraying the next narrow section after passing iron on first section and so on. Then to seal the press, I repeated the flat iron pass on narrow sections again but this time I used a thermal protectant serum also by John Frieda. My hair didn't revert all week and when I shampooed it, reversion was complete.

The important thing is to apply to narrow sections so you can be sure hair is well coated. Also the reason I first dry my hair fully before doing the wet protectant part of the flat ironing is so that I can be sure that the wetness on every inch of my hair is from protectant, meaning no section is left unprotected.

I guess it really depends on the heat protectant quality. What do you think about IC heat protectant? (If you have already used it, of course).

[USER=375033]Naturelie[/USER];18111711 said:
I guess it really depends on the heat protectant quality. What do you think about IC heat protectant? (If you have already used it, of course).

I have never used it so know nothing about it.

I have never used it so know nothing about it.

Ok! I have the time to inquire about it cause I don't intend to blow dry my hair shortly (I have already bought the IC heat protectant but I may not use it if reviews are negative). Thanks for answering!

Ok! I have the time to inquire about it cause I don't intend to blow dry my hair shortly (I have already bought the IC heat protectant but I may not use it if reviews are negative). Thanks for answering!

Naturelie, here's a discussion on the serum that may help: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=99046

I didn't find any reviews on the forum on the spray but here are some: http://reviews.sallybeauty.com/6151/SBS-425985/reviews.htm?sort=helpfulness

so....i've been wondering, is there some unspoken rule that when we post pics of our hair that we must blank/blur/sticker our faces out? Not trying to sound rude or anything, i just thought it was an interesting practice

so....i've been wondering, is there some unspoken rule that when we post pics of our hair that we must blank/blur/sticker our faces out? Not trying to sound rude or anything, i just thought it was an interesting practice

Some people don't like to be recognized for different reasons ,could be the embarassement of being on a hair board or the sharing of personal stories in other areas.
It was also noted by someone that alot of the pics posted on here appear on google images by typing LHCF .

[USER=180818]*SkolarStar*[/USER];18118229 said:
How do you know that a conditioner has worked?

Hair's condition feels better? If hair was hard, it feels soft aka moisturized after a moisturizing conditioner. If it was mushy, it feels less so or if it was breaking that lessens after a protein treatment. Strands feel smoother...although you may need a DILUTE ACV final rinse to really get strands uber smooth.

Hello there, I just wanted to ask a question about l-cysteine. I take it internally (I take other supplements also :grin:) and would like thicker hair, it's too early to tell as I've only been taking it for about 4 days or so, but do you think getting the powder form to mix into my deep conditioner and normal conditioner is a good idea ? I know you can mix silk amino acid also into deep conditioners too. Is it possible to mix these amino acids in for thicker hair. I know it will be temporary but with consistent use could it provide some benefits ?

TIA and HHG too !

Last edited:
Not to jack your question. But what is the difference between a blowout (Dominican or any other type) and simply blowdrying your hair? :perplexed

Dominican use a TON of heat and tension! I think they mess with the blow dryers internal mechanism to get them super hot.

Amarilles

FearlessNik

I've noticed that too. I think the difference is the forms of heat they use. In my experience, Dominicans can blow hair to the point of straight. Blacks in the other hand, just know how to dry hair and rely in a hot comb or flat iron to get the job done. Dominicans also have super hot blow dryers and I've seen them get these items "tweaked" to get them hotter.

I've also been to black salons where they refuse to bow your roots, or just do not know how too or better, will tell you they don't do that, go to Dominicans if you want your hair straight.

There is a stigma there as well as a difference in the quality and ingredients of the products they use. Dominicans use straightening products (silicone and keratin usually) while blacks use bodyfying products.

I could be thinking to hard or maybe someone agrees, but there is a difference in the quality of care and hairstyles each kind deals with that upon observation could be better explained.

Hope this kind of helps.

Sent from my Gramatically Incorrect iPhone

Ahh...wow. Very interesting Saludable84 I appreciate that. I'm from D.R, never been to a black salon before starting my transition. I'm not straightening anymore so the only difference I noticed with the black, natural salon I've been to is that it's soooo pretty! Makes all those places I used frequent look cheap and low-budget, I never noticed at the time though. :lol: Thank you!

blackindia07, many of us do this. Some have dubbed it the Green House Effect or GHE. Actually this is the way I baggy 99% of the time. I usually don't use any leave-in products and love to baggy. So when I do it, I do it on bare hair.

Nonie I know I'm late, but.....what does baggying on bare hair accomplish? I mean, what are the benefits? Also , do you use a regular disposable shower cap?

ETA: Ok, I just found one of your old posts...

:giggle: I see you and I skipped the same classes in school. I asked this the other day.

GHE = Green House Effect

Apparently it stands for baggying bare hair. I've done it for years and do it every night but didn't know it had a fancy name. :look:

Baggying bare hair encourages sebum production and recycles the moisture from conditioning and makes my hair feel moisturized even when not using any products. That's why *I* do it.

Last edited:
1.) What is the difference between MSM and sublimed sulfur? Google wasn't very forthcoming with this one.

2.) If I wanted to dilute a conditioner to spray on my hair, what ratio of water:conditioner would I use? I'm thinking 2:1.

@NaiyaAi

1)MSM= Organic sulfur.. Its water soluble and you can ingest it.

SUBLIMED Sulfur= Do not eat it or you will probably die. Partially dissolves in oil not water.

2)My ratio is 2parts water + 1part conditioner.. + some oil

@JosieLynn, I always assumed the GHE (greenhouse effect as you were informed) meant baggying with no products the way I do it. But I just saw this definition: http://hollistics.com/2012/08/21/using-the-green-house-effect/

I suppose in my case where I use no products, I do both baggying and GHE. I find wearing a plastic cover over my head encourages sebum production (which is not unlike applying an oil to your scalp but less icky IMO) and it recycles the moisture in my hair from previous conditioning (which is not unlike having something moisturizing applied to the hair w/o the risk of over moisturizing.

What's GHE stand for??

I learned from a lady on yt that relaxed heads can baggy too. I have been doing it and I am seeing a better balance of moisture and protein. During the week after I have cleansed, dc'd and styled I GHE using this order:

First, wrap hair and tie on a satin scarf
Followed by a plastic cap
Then a satin bonnet on top
Go to sleep

After a few hours, my hair is moist, shiny, soft but still strong without being mushy. I often take the baggy off in the middle of the night and put the bonnet back on to avoid too much moisture.

Sometimes I M&S first or just seal or use no product at all!! It depends on what my hair needs at the time. I don't do it every night.

This yt'er explains it really well and even has a GHE challenge!

http://m.youtube.com/user/MeekaJael

http://m.youtube.com/user/RealQueensRegimen

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back