dumb question

deborah11

i know this is a dumb question but here it goes: when your hair grows, does the new growth at the roots push the relaxer hair out when it grows or does the new growth eventually intertwine with the relaxed hair and become one? i ask this ?? because my hair is overprocessed and eventually the overprocessed hair will have to be cut off. somehow it seems to me that the whole overprocessed strand ( my longest hair is about 9.5 inches) will eventually have to be cut off and not just the ends. i mean if the ends are overprocessed than so is the whole strand. right? in this case it will take me forever to get rid of all the overprocessed (if i only gradually cut it off), unless i just cut it all off immediately and start from scratch. i mean if i gradually cut, say at 3 inches a year, it will take 3 years to get rid of all the overprocessed hair. i hope this ? question makes sense and is not too stupid because i am really trying to estimate how long it will take to get rid of this overprocessed mess. thanks.

Hi Deborah11, /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Your question is not a dumb question. It's a fair one and it's one that a lot of people probably have also.

The new growth pushes the relaxed hair up and away from the root and scalp. If you occasionally pull a relaxer through the length of your hair, then your hair will be overprocessed. Since the ends of your hair are the oldest part, they will be more over processed than the hair that is closer to the scalp. You can trim your hair about 1/2" to an 1' at a time to slowly rid yourself of the overprocessed part if you don't want to do a major cut. That should be sufficient. If you are in the habit of having the relaxer worked through all of your hair during a touch-up, girl stop. That's usually the main cause of overprocessed hair. Hope I explained that in a way that made sense. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I agree with Pebbles...no question is a dumb question. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Before I knew about hair forums, I had a lot of "Wrong" information regarding hair. It's always better to ask than not at all...YOU WILL SAVE YOUR HAIR! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks guys, just as suspected, it's gonna take forever to get rid of this mess. oh and pebbles, no in the past the relaxer was only put on the new growth. however i was overprocessesed by the last fool that put the last relaxer in my haur when he tried to correct my previously underrelaxed hair ; he put the relaxer thruout the entire dyrand which resulted in this problem. i won't be getting a relaxer anytime soon. on this friday, it will be 12 weeks since last relaxer. thanks

Back