Can COLD AIR be damaging to your hair?

• YES

Votes: 34 89.5%
  • NO

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

missnicole

Hi Ladies,

I am long time lurker and finally subscribed a few days ago. I am so glad to be an Official LHCF member :woot::woot:. I live in NY and it's currently 32 degrees (pretty warm compared to Friday when it was 15 degrees :cold:). For the most part I wear protective styles throughout the week but,

Can the cold air be damaging for your hair?

Hello!
As far as the environment, i think any air can be drying to the hair. I've actually heard of hair freezing in below zero weather but i've never experienced it.

Hiii mss nicole!! Welcome, it's abt ****** time you joined!! lol, not that I know you but I always think- what;s the hesitation w joining?? but then I think how ppl get addicted to this site and now I wish I hadn't joined.. gotta go study!

ive heard about the cold drying out your ends,
and one time i read a thread about someone who did a wash and go in the winter and thier hair froze!

IMO, yes cold air or any air can be damaging, because like the other ladies said, hit can dry your hair out, and if you don't moisturize then your hair will most likely break, but if you keep it moisturize through out the day....you should be find, but I wouldn't wear my hair down everyday in the cold.....I do wear my hair down sometimes, or a ponytail, but I moisturize 3 to 4 times a day.....and at night I add coconut oil and braid my hair, spray the ends with UBH dew spray(soak and wet),so my ends can stay moisturize, sometimes I baggy with Hairveda Cocasta oil or jojoba oil.

In the cold your hair can freeze if you leave it wet, or use a humectress leave in, I've done this multiple times :look:. My hair defrosted ok, but I didn't touch it until I was somewhere warm, I imagine it could break off it you messed with it enough.

I always co-wash and seal with coconut oil before I go out. I either wear a silk bonnet + a hat or I wear my hair down. It doesn't damage hair.

BUT a word to the wise, make sure the coconut oil has been absorbed. If you don't, your hair will freeze. It will defrost just fine, but if it gets manipulated while wet, say goodbye to a few of your precious strands.

I think cold weather tends to dry out the hair. Your hair needs more moisture in the winter. If you don't moisturize in the winter, it can lead to breakage.

I live in New Jersey, and we've recently been experiencing some horrid sub-zero weather. I treat my hair like I would treat an infant, or a newborn baby. I would never, ever, ever, exposed a baby to the temperatures. If I had to go out into the weather, I would make sure that baby was soooo protected from the cold. I would wrap that baby a thousand times so that nothing would penetrate and get to the baby's skin.:lachen:

The same for my hair. If I can't find the right coverings for my head in the cold weather....then I ain't goin' nowhere!!!! :lachen:

I always co-wash and seal with coconut oil before I go out. I either wear a silk bonnet + a hat or I wear my hair down. It doesn't damage hair.

BUT a word to the wise, make sure the coconut oil has been absorbed. If you don't, your hair will freeze. It will defrost just fine, but if it gets manipulated while wet, say goodbye to a few of your precious strands.

This happened to me back in November at the bus stop LOL :grin:

OP, Welcome!!! I'm in Boston and I can see/feel the difference in my hair right now. It was 5 degrees Friday morning! Yikes! I have to deep condition more often, for longer periods of time, and I use thicker oils like Castor Oil to help keep my hair moisturized.

Hiii mss nicole!! Welcome, it's abt ****** time you joined!! lol, not that I know you but I always think- what;s the hesitation w joining?? but then I think how ppl get addicted to this site and now I wish I hadn't joined.. gotta go study!
Happy Studying!

Haha...it took forever because when I first joined I thought I was getting all the information I needed for FREE! So, I didn't see the point in subscribing. I would peek in and out every few months and I always learned something new. It wasn't until this week that I began feeling kind of guilty lol. It was time to give back to LHCF. I finally subscribed and it has been more beneficial then I thought it be. LHCF hides a lot of goodies from the lurkers.

With that being said, ALL LHCF LURKERS COME ON IN!!!

IMO, I don't think cold air is damaging to hair. I think if we don't protect it by moisturizing, especially the ends, that's when it'll become damaging. I believe the winter helps my hair b/c the cold hair keeps the cuticle closed, that's why I moisturize right before I leave the house every morning. I've had my hair freeze before because I went out in very cold weather when it was a little wet.

I live in Albany, N.Y (thank God I am only here temporarily) and the cold weather tore my ends up. They were splitting and breaking off left and right. Thanks to some of the ladies on LHCF I have learned to keep my ends well moisturized and protected from the cold air

ive heard about the cold drying out your ends,
and one time i read a thread about someone who did a wash and go in the winter and thier hair froze!

That was probably me, LOL. I had some coconut oil in my hair, and it froze my hair. :lachen:

To the OP: Yeah, it can be. I think it depends on what you do to your hair first. I am keeping my hair hidden this winter, so I do not have to worry about the weather on it.

IMO, I don't think cold air is damaging to hair. I think if we don't protect it by moisturizing, especially the ends, that's when it'll become damaging. I believe the winter helps my hair b/c the cold hair keeps the cuticle closed, that's why I moisturize right before I leave the house every morning. I've had my hair freeze before because I went out in very cold weather when it was a little wet.

I agree. I think moisturizing and sealing can protect hair from the harsh weather.

I think winter is the worst time for hair. My regimen is the same year round (well up until this winter) and every winter its like my split ends have split ends but around march after a good trim they virtually disappear until next winter.

I'm more bothered by the dry indoor air from heaters than the cold outside. I use a scarf and hat though when it gets super cold.

Yes, I can't keep enough moisture in my skin and hair. Searching the web now for tips to keep skin and hair hydrated. Most sites say to start inside with fish oils and flaxseed and drinking water. I've been doing this for months and still dry dry, I may have to purchase high or better quality of them. I also have a humidifier but it gives off really cool air i'm in Michigan and it's too cold right now for it, have to wait for spring at least.

Back