Calling all cosmetology students!!!

KurlyNinja

I've been thinking about applying for a Aveda Institute, but I have several concerns. Mainly about financial aid. Those of you who are using financial aid to pay for cosmetology schooling do you recieve a refund check like you would from any other college? The only reason I'm asking this is because I would need the refund check in order for me to be able to live somewhere at least until I could find a job. :ohwell: Also I'm not just asking about people who only attend aveda but other cosmetology schools as well. Thank you!

KurlyNinja

you can get a check, but you know you will still need to pay that money back. i did that when i was in school back in 09. i went to Paul Mitchell. but it also depends on your loan amount, will you be getting any grants, and if you finish school on time. see the school will give you a contract date. everything needs to be paid up, so the school is only going to take what is needed.

since i was in school when the FASA school year ended, i had to reapply again, close to my graduation date. i finished by the first date, so that was how i am was able to get a refund. meaning that additional money that would have covered the last date for my contract, it went into my pocket instead.

i hope this makes sense. i believe a school that you are going to will pretty much follow the same financial plan as well. they will do it by quarters and base it off of your grades. it usually takes 10-15 months to finish Coso school for hair. if you go full-time. don't miss any days or clocked hours. you will greatly pay for it later. my kids got sick and i ended up missing 96 hours! i had to work my butt off to finish on time.

Last edited:
@KurlyNinja

shortdub78 gave great advice. If you graduated from undergrad, like I did, the school loan amount will not cover your entire tuition and you will be left with a tuition balance you have to pay out of pocket. HTH

im currently in cosmo school.
i WOULD NOT suggest spending that refund check that you may get.

first of all you're going to have to pay that money back....with interest.

and second of all, the only time u get a refund check is when you borrow more than you need but if you only borrow what u need you wont get a refund check at all.
i only borrowed what i needed when i applied for financial aid so i didnt get a refund check. but when my friends got their big checks they spent it all on shopping and frivolous things and they're going to have to pay it all back anyways....with interest.

If you get a refund don't spend it on silly things. Paying for dinner at Fogo for you and your closest friend sounds like an awesome idea at the time but 10yrs later when you're still making payments it seems dumb.

Now if it's for something important I wholeheartedly believe that such a low interest loan isn't a bad idea for TRUE living expenses like purchasing a cheap vehicle.

Best bet is to go in to see the school and speak with their finance department to make sure they will give refund checks. All schools don't/won't/can't do it due to government regulations that are currently in effect. 90/10 rule is really hurting students and the government is more and more strict in this economy with so many borrowers in default.

Have you compared prices of all the schools in your area? Why do you want to go to Aveda? It is one the priciest schools out there.

Back