Future Hair Stylist Concerns (Long)

Black Sista. If she was using Mazani she was trained in the right products to use, the class you take befor they allow you to puchase the products includes a wheel of hair conditions and what to use to inprove the hair, she was not following her directions.

hairmaster said:
Kitty18 most of the product are made over in china or Korea and have to be shipped over to us, Look at th ingredient list on the back of products if it list water first or alcohol. you know what to do. the salon brands are being updated and researched every year. Some times you do get the same ingreidents onthe bottles but not in the same qaulity.

This is so true. Obviously no one is saying that every single salon brand is better than every single drugstore brand. There are definitely some cheaper brands on the market that are better than adequate. But on the whole, salon brands IMO are just better. They are simply more concentrated. A cheaper brand may have the exact same ingredients, but it's going to be watered down.

I think a lot of us have stylist concerns because we come in with expectations, we come in with 3-4 months or 6-8 weeks of hard work and labor on our heads and hope that this touchup will bring us closer to our goal, only to have a stylist rip through your head with the smallest comb and slap a relaxer on our heads all willy nilly and then use a fine tooth comb after we are washed and proceed to tell us that all that shedding is because we need a trim....and we agree because we havent had one in a while and they take the scissors and cut away and then when we are done our hair is shorter than when we came in!!!! Yes this isnt just some of our stories this is a lot of our stories. Coming out the salon with scalp burns and bald spots and hair that is shorter than when we came in. and money hungry stylist who insist you should come see them more often to get your hair back on track. oh yes when this happens one too many times its a bit hard to have a positive, warm and fuzzy feeling for stylists. And when stylist who should know better that are highly recommended relax your hair within an inch of its life charge you an arm and leg and do whatever they feel, its hard to find nice things to say about hair stylists. Although this has been our experience, I know that some of us are still hoping we will find the one. Its like finding a good man...eventually you will find the right one...but it sucks to go through trial and error in that manner. So I dont think the ladies here believe that good stylist dont exist, its just that we have had so many bad experiences and have read so many bad experiences that some of us have decided to take manners into our own hands. Some of us are still on the search and hope we will still have hair on our heads at the end of the day. God bless you all.

balisi said:
Girl, the day I get my license, all of LHCF will know! :grin: A special discount for LHCF members, hmmmm... :scratchch

I think you might already have a full client roster. Definitely keep us posted and Good luck!

Question – is hair product research based on chemically processed/altered hair? I'm talking about salon products.

I was wondering as a lot of previously relaxed ladies who are now natural use very few or none of these products anymore as it doesn't work as well and are now using cheapies….drug store brands.

I still have negative feelings for stylists because it's all i've experienced, but you and Hairmaster have inspired me and really made me feel good about going out and finding someone. I think i found a good one at the Hair Cuttery although i only used her once. You guys have educated me enough that i can take ownership of my hair and what i ALLOW a stylist to do to it. Well anyways, i know there is alot of negativity, but don't let it get you down.

Balisi, we going to throw you a BIG OLE' LCHF Graduation party!!! We'll start a thread and everyone can come on in and wish you well.... (I will be sipping on a glass of champagne, also... :grin: )

Azul, I'm feeling you, girl. I have been there myself and know many others who have. But since I don't fit that negative mold and don't believe I ever will, I hope to offer reassurance that great, caring stylists who are true professionals do exist. We are not all scissor happy, money hungry, etc. I'm so thankful that I was divinely led to this forum because it helps me to know what customers want and don't want, which will in turn allow me to offer even better hair service.

Honi said:
Question – is hair product research based on chemically processed/altered hair? I'm talking about salon products.

I was wondering as a lot of previously relaxed ladies who are now natural use very few or none of these products anymore as it doesn't work as well and are now using cheapies….drug store brands.
Honi, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about that, but I believe that all hair types are researched when it comes to product development, etc. You're absolutely right when you say that previously relaxed ladies no longer use the same products once they go natural because those products do not work on natural textured hair. They are formulated for different needs. Some products will give good results on most hair, depending on the product's purpose. From my observation and experience, some naturals find that there is no good reason to spend $17 on a gel if a $2.99 gel gives them satisfactory results. Also, some naturals will add their own ingredients to cheaper products, thereby customizing it for their needs.

Mizani_Mrs said:
I still have negative feelings for stylists because it's all i've experienced, but you and Hairmaster have inspired me and really made me feel good about going out and finding someone. I think i found a good one at the Hair Cuttery although i only used her once. You guys have educated me enough that i can take ownership of my hair and what i ALLOW a stylist to do to it. Well anyways, i know there is alot of negativity, but don't let it get you down.

Balisi, we going to throw you a BIG OLE' LCHF Graduation party!!! We'll start a thread and everyone can come on in and wish you well.... (I will be sipping on a glass of champagne, also... :grin: )
Oh, that is so sweet. I feel so special :Blush2: Can hardly wait. :D
But I'm glad to have helped inspire you in your search for THE stylist. Let me know how it goes.

I have had 3 stylists in my life. I have never had a problem with any of them. Its when I go somewhere else (like when I'm out of town) then the stuff hits the fan. I adored them because they weren't money hungry nor scissor happy. As a matter of fact, I had to beg them to cut my hair most of the time. If they didn't see the need then they didn't trim. They also knew when I was being impulsive with a hairstyle. After talking to them about the style, I would either realize I was being impulsive or that I needed something different. I am VERY peculiar about my hair, always has been. So when I go to a new salon, I have 20 questions and I have the observant eye.
Even though I am transitioning, I can still see her because she too has been both natural and relaxed and will gladly help me either way.
As long as they focus on health, you can't go wrong. (IMO atleast)
Good luck to you Balisi...and thanks for posting this thread.

CongradulationBalisi on your new goals,

However, the story you told about the other students using poor techniques and giving bad information continues to discourage my efforts to ever go to a "licensed stylist". That is the problem they have a license and no matter what you ask once they boch your hair its to late. They should not be destroying hair. They went to school right. Every other licensed professional can have the pants sued off of them. I should be able to ask them what is what and get the truth. There is no accountablity checks. When I had my first wave neuvou I asked tons of questions and even told her not to start to close to my scalp. My scalp hair is already straight. But all was for naught, she did as she wanted to and Moments count when chemicals are involved. I had to call her to get the chemicals out even after telling her my hair doesn't require alot of time for effect. I was a licensed qualified air traffic controller I am sure no one wants to have to spend four ours pre flight telling the controllers and pilot how to keep from killing them.
So giving customers more power for having compliants and restitution is what will make people responsible and weed out the dangerous ones. I don't really see that happening so it will only be forums like this ones that will help people really protect their hair(my belief).
Question. To be a natural hair dresser using all natural products does one need a license?

Good luck I am sure you will do well but I have never had a hair dresser that really truelly knew what was right for my hair. They knew how to carry out a process but had no understanding of the outcome and damage they were doing.

Thanks, mscounselor, for sharing your positive experiences. You have been fortunate to have such attentive, caring stylists. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds with your current stylist who can relate first-hand to your transitioning experience.

Hey Vintagecoilylocks, and thanks for the good wishes. Yes, for the most part a natural hair stylist who uses natural hair products must be licensed. This change is still being effected and mandates vary from state to state. Such a practitioner must be educated about sanitation, shampooing, hair and scalp disorders, hair chemistry, etc.

Back