BSL 2013 Challenge

Hey yall....I'm getting a bit tired of bunning, so I may set my hair free this weekend. I'll have the time to baby it and do it right....Prepoo, DC and flatiron maybe....

Random hair thoughts...

I love the thickness of my texlaxed hair, but I also love the smooth silkiness of my bonelaxed hair. Right now I have the perfect mix; 5 inches of texlaxed and the rest straight. I'm afraid that when it's all texlaxed I will miss the smootheness. This will lead me back to my curling iron (I used to use it every day :nono: :perplexed). I'm pretty sure all of my hair success in the past year has come from giving up my curling iron. I know I am too lazy to roller set once a week, and I workout too often for it to last anyway. I see bonelaxing again in my future. Maybe next year....

Super Bowl party this weekend so I'm gonna take these twists down tomorrow and start to stretch them so I have a little bit of hang time.

I've been on this board for over 2 years and today I decided I wanted to finally know what a sock bun is. So I took my inquiry to YouTube to see what is the hype. Low and behold, I finally see how some ladies are able to get such full and beautiful buns! Oh, it is on like Donky Kong Now, lol! I immediately jumped up, went to DH sock drawer (shhh, not a peep) cut and rolled a perfect bun. Since I already declared February as Bun month, I can now have a really awesome bun and be cute too.

Here it is:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I swear you are my hair twin! I finished watching the no sock sock bun and have been bunning with a cloth scrunchie...couldn't find any socks I was willing to part with. I also baggied my ends for the first time last night. Can't really tell any difference yet. I'm going to join you for February bun month...here's my messy bun today. :)

image-2613950228.jpg

I just did a google search to see if the sock buns cause damage/dryness so thanks for that tip!! I'm thinking I should wrap a satin fabric around the bun and crazy glue it in place. I'll need black or dark brown ribbon. Off the google some more.

I have a cloth scrunchie which is made of a satiny fabric, it was my sock replacement.

KiWiStyle lol hope u didnt take DHs favourite socks lol

that bun looks on point though

Girl I am not worried about him...rolling eyes! He had the nerve to come tell me the other day, " oh WE need to get more of that heavy cream, WE'RE almost out". DUDE ALMOST GOT DROP KICKED, lol. He uses my Qhemet Biologics AOHC on his bald head...AFTER I gave him a whole jar of Mizani H2O because I don't use it anymore.

I swear you are my hair twin! I finished watching the no sock sock bun and have been bunning with a cloth scrunchie...couldn't find any socks I was willing to part with. I also baggied my ends for the first time last night. Can't really tell any difference yet. I'm going to join you for February bun month...here's my messy bun today. :)

Hey twin, lol! Your bun is too cute. I like that we're both doing buns for the month of February :). I also baggied m&s then baggied my ends prior to sock bunning. The sock bun was an impromptu idea but I'm glad my ends were well prepared for the cotton sock.

So I wrapped my bun in Saran Wrap to cover the cotton sock and to keep my ends moist while bunning for a month. So, what do you guys think?
View attachment 192131
ETA: I ran to Sally's to get these hair pins because my good day hair pins were to bulky and I'm afraid the regular bobby pins will snag my hair.
View attachment 192133

Last edited:
Yayyyyy!!!! I like it! I like it a lot!!!

And NikkiQ you're right, it does blend. I'm surprised. Even my mom likes it and she HATES fake hair lol. This half wig has her questioning all the people she know's hair hahaha

But for real... Why haven't I been using half wigs? I needed this in my life.

ETA: I WILL learn how to get my pictures turned the right way :-(

ImanAdero That half wig looks fantastic on you, it blends in so well, I think I need some of that in my life too.

I've been on this board for over 2 years and today I decided I wanted to finally know what a sock bun is. So I took my inquiry to YouTube to see what is the hype. Low and behold, I finally see how some ladies are able to get such full and beautiful buns! Oh, it is on like Donky Kong Now, lol! I immediately jumped up, went to DH sock drawer (shhh, not a peep) cut and rolled a perfect bun. Since I already declared February as Bun month, I can now have a really awesome bun and be cute too.

KiWiStyle Your bun looks perfect! You are really inspiring me to stop procrastinating and get with the styling, I need to practice my French braid, I haven't done it in years and I know I'm not as patient as I used to be whan it comes to doing hair. I'm gonna join you in bun month February, I have a cool bun tool that is already covered with satin, I'll post a pic of it by the weekend along with my bun

ETA: I ran to Sally's to get these hair pins because my good day hair pins were to bulky and I'm afraid the regular bobby pins will snag my hair

These are the hair pins I use, I've never liked bobby pins/kirby grips/crocodile slides, they always rip out my hair

ImanAdero That half wig looks fantastic on you, it blends in so well, I think I need some of that in my life too.

KiWiStyle Your bun looks perfect! You are really inspiring me to stop procrastinating and get with the styling, I need to practice my French braid, I haven't done it in years and I know I'm not as patient as I used to be whan it comes to doing hair. I'm gonna join you in bun month February, I have a cool bun tool that is already covered with satin, I'll post a pic of it by the weekend along with my bun

These are the hair pins I use, I've never liked bobby pins/kirby grips/crocodile slides, they always rip out my hair

THANK YOU Angel of the North!! You have to share where you got your donut pre wrapped in satin...I need to get my hands in that.

KiWiStyle got me over here plottin to steal one of DH's black socks to make a new donut :lol:

Too funny!! Be sure to take a pair...don't just leave an unpaired sock, lol! My husband is a socks and t-shirt hoarder so he most likely won't miss it.

Last edited:
So I wrapped my bun in Saran Wrap to cover the cotton sock and to keep my ends moist while bunning for a month. So, what do you guys think?

ETA: I ran to Sally's to get these hair pins because my good day hair pins were to bulky and I'm afraid the regular bobby pins will snag my hair.

Let us know how the Saran Wrap works. It looks like it would be too slick to stay on my hair. My rough bun using the scrunchie didn't require any pins.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20130130_005817_resized.jpg
    20130130_005817_resized.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20130130_005842_resized.jpg
    20130130_005842_resized.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20130130_005927_resized.jpg
    20130130_005927_resized.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 11
  • 20130130_005916_resized.jpg
    20130130_005916_resized.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I've decided to get my touch up middle of March the day I fly out to Africa, I will be 14 and a half weeks post, not the 17 weeks I was aiming for but better than 12 weeks it almost became. I hope my hair behaves itself in the heat, I also hope I can make it to BSL, I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Too funny!! Be sure to take a pair...don't just leave an unpaired sock, lol! My husband is a socks and t-shirt hoarder so he most likely won't miss it.

I'd just tell him the dryer ate the sock :lachen:

Sent from my Android...Boom.

I'd just tell him the dryer ate the sock :lachen:

Random thought: Why do I have about 15 odd socks? I can't find the other halves of the pairs, I refuse to throw them away cos I knows, they've got to be in this house somewhere! :look: It's like having a sock thief that only takes one sock :spinning: I am not short of socks I could use for sock buns :grin:

Random thought: Why do I have about 15 odd socks? I can't find the other halves of the pairs, I refuse to throw them away cos I knows, they've got to be in this house somewhere! :look: It's like having a sock thief that only takes one sock :spinning: I am not short of socks I could use for sock buns :grin:

Maybe its a sock bun bandit stealing them!

I just thought I'd update this is my hair this evening no product, naked freshly cowashed hair.

So since I've been bored with my hair yet I don't want to put the time into keeping it flat ironed, nor do I want to subject my hair to heat damage from frequent heat styling. . . .I bought a wig today. I've named her Demi. She is my new favorite friend.

I chose a length and style that is not terribly far from my own length and style that I wear my hair. Do you ladies like?

Attachments

• IMG_3520.JPG
    IMG_3520.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3524.JPG
    IMG_3524.JPG
    434 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3528.JPG
    IMG_3528.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 12
I just thought I'd update this is my hair this evening no product, naked freshly cowashed hair.

So since I've been bored with my hair yet I don't want to put the time into keeping it flat ironed, nor do I want to subject my hair to heat damage from frequent heat styling. . . .I bought a wig today. I've named her Demi. She is my new favorite friend.

I chose a length and style that is not terribly far from my own length and style that I wear my hair. Do you ladies like?

HeChangedMyName Ilove your coils and Demi frames your face very nicely!

ooh, a sock bun challenge!! Are you asking or telling us??

A month of bunning on a fresh touchup, I'm so in! I gotta do it now before those crazy-a$$ed not-brown hurs at my temples start feeling themselves...then I'll be lookin like a hag with a bun! Lol.

Back