BSL 2013 Challenge

shortdub78 said:
did you use a comb attachment? if so, it's from the blow dryer. when i use a comb attachment, same thing happens to me. i have stopping using it. if i desperately need to use the blow dryer, i use my wide toothed comb and the tension method on cool setting.

Yes I used a comb attachment!! Yay so I'm ok :)???

Yes I used a comb attachment!! Yay so I'm ok :)???

yep! but if you still have those hairs hanging around, check to see if it is shedding or breakage. i suffered some breakage from using that thing and it was pulling my hair out of my scalp as well. i was really gentle and i used the biggest comb. the thing is, the hair is being stretched while it's wet. when it starts to dry, it shrinks, pulls the heat from the dryer is taking moisture away from the hair, causing it to be more fragile.

shortdub78 said:
yep! but if you still have those hairs hanging around, check to see if it is shedding or breakage. i suffered some breakage from using that thing and it was pulling my hair out of my scalp as well. i was really gentle and i used the biggest comb. the thing is, the hair is being stretched while it's wet. when it starts to dry, it shrinks, pulls the heat from the dryer is taking moisture away from the hair, causing it to be more fragile.

How would I know if it was shedding or breakage??

Ok so good news and possibly bad news. The good news is when I washed, conditioned Nd blow dried my hair my sides didn't look like they were thinning :D I was super happy.....and the possible bad news....after blow drying my hair I combed it out and was very paranoid at what was coming out.... A lot of hair was falling in the sink and on the floor. I don't know if this is normal or not because I read your hair sheds 100 strands a day (seems like a lot) please look at these pics and assure me I'm over reacting AGAIN!! You ladies really gave me a sigh of relief last night!!!! Thank you so much!! If I could I would kiss each of you :-* being a newbie to hair Care sucks!!!***runs off to get sew in***

You have breakage. The short broken ones are breakage. I use the tension method and never (well rarely) use the comb attachment. The teeth are so small and I'm just asking for breakage. Tension method for the win! :lol: CharnellG

I already joined - but now that I'm posting my info I'm officially Ret ta grow! :lachen:

Current hair length: scraggly APL (pic below) - note I did not get this approved by the 2012 APL Ninjas:blush:

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd - Relaxed

BSL goal month - Optimistic goal: June 2013

Current Reggie and styling choices -Wash 1 time per week.
Pre-poo (with or without heat);
wash 1-2 lathers
porosity step after wash
Deep condition with heat
rollerset (with heat protectant)
leave ins: a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein mist
M&S daily with extra focus on ends

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to BSL?
I need to figure out alternatives to wrapping my hair - maybe cross wrap?
Increase protective styles; satin liner in my wool hats for winter, keep my hair off my shoulders all winter (wool coats kill my ends)
Also - I need to figure out how people go days without combing.. I think that would help me out a lot too

Post a beginning picture: (excuse the roller wrap - my hair doesn't grow sideways!)

Attachments

• 110312 better camera-001.jpg
    110312 better camera-001.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 52
Farewell ladies, I decided to join the APL thread for 2013. I cut some of my hair today. :spinning: This is what I cut and how my hair looks today.

P1030644.jpg

P1030635.jpg

P1030638.jpg

Lurkee said:
Farewell ladies, I decided to join the APL thread for 2013. I cut some of my hair today. :spinning: This is what I cut and how my hair looks today.

I'll see you over there :).

CharnellG said:
Ok so good news and possibly bad news. The good news is when I washed, conditioned Nd blow dried my hair my sides didn't look like they were thinning :D I was super happy.....and the possible bad news....after blow drying my hair I combed it out and was very paranoid at what was coming out.... A lot of hair was falling in the sink and on the floor. I don't know if this is normal or not because I read your hair sheds 100 strands a day (seems like a lot) please look at these pics and assure me I'm over reacting AGAIN!! You ladies really gave me a sigh of relief last night!!!! Thank you so much!! If I could I would kiss each of you :-* being a newbie to hair Care sucks!!!***runs off to get sew in***

The same thing happens 2 me when I use a blow dryer except I have more hair loss. that's the primary reason why I stop blow drying. I think you should be okay it may seem like a lot but I think its not too bad. I can't wait to see pics of your sew_in!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

pelohello said:
The same thing happens 2 me when I use a blow dryer except I have more hair loss. that's the primary reason why I stop blow drying. I think you should be okay it may seem like a lot but I think its not too bad. I can't wait to see pics of your sew_in!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Almost finished. Pics coming soon

Just did my aphogee treatment, now I'm deep conditioning under the dryer with silk elements. Tension method blow dry, sulfur oil scalp oiling and moisturizing/braiding for the night soon to follow.

Hair is in 4 big braids just chillin in a satin bonnet while I work on a few hair accessories to sell in my Etsy store. Will probably apply my MN mix and moisturize my hair with some random spray that I have around here.

Plaited my hair today and back to my wigs till January...

Attachments

• image-1085917266.jpg
    image-1085917266.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 50
  • image-24408311.jpg
    image-24408311.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 67
Current hair length: APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
BSL goal month: I want to have BSL hair no later than my birthday in September
Current Reggie and styling choices: I don't have a regimen per se, but I am stepping up my haircare skills. As in, learning to have any haircare skills at all. I am all thumbs when it comes to styling my own hair, but by golly I am learning to cornrow this year! My hair is getting too long and big to always be stuffing up under a wig or a weave.

With that being said, I'm basically going back to basics. I will be doing the following:
Shampoo or Cowash 1x per week
Deep Condition/Baggy with every wash
M&S and scalp massage every other day or so
Use my favorite oil mix (Castor/Olive/Jojoba) for massages and sealing
Use more ceramides (my hair looooves hempseed oil)
Upping my vitamin intake/more excercise/ more water/improving diet

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to BSL? I've got to find new options for protective styling. I will straighten my hair more often. I will also bun more. It will be easier for *me* to manage, because I'm lazy and when I get frustrated, I rush and break my hair. I also will be able to see my ends more. Splits hide from me when my ends are curly. Dah, who am I kidding. I just ignore them.

I want long hair but I'm lazy lol. And even when it's under a wig and I can easily access it, I tend to ignore it. I have to stop ignoring my hair.

Post a beginning picture: Will do this later, maybe around the first of the year. I might need a trim and I want to be as accurate as possible.

~Current hair length: APL

~Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

~BSL goal month: Hopefully I'll be at BSL by May 5th, but definitely by September.

~Current Reggie and styling choices: Co-wash and go multiple times per week, low-poo and deep condition once a week

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to BSL? Continue to take my vitamins, get my omega-3s, and drink tons of water. I might start dusting and protective styling. I do need a trim which will probably set me back to just at APL and I may wear my hair straight more often during the winter.

~Post a beginning picture: I'll be back with that :)

Thank you growbaby & Fhrizzball for the advice! I will try the olive oil soak before I go buy more accessories. I've never heard of spin pins or hair forks, haven't had enough hair to use em, so I've got some research to do.

CharnellG glad your hair crisis has been averted! Waitin to see your results... Hurr up wit dem pics lady!

CharnellG glad your hair crisis has been averted! Waitin to see your results... Hurr up wit dem pics lady![/QUOTE]

Deff will have pics tomorrow afternoon. Sorry!!! It's hectic around here.... Waited on line for 5 hours to get gas today!

[USER=31551]KaramelDiva1978[/USER] said:
Rocked a high bun that I'm proud of at my girl's wedding tonight!!

Think I'll play with this all week.

That is such a pretty full bun! How did you do it?

Back