BSL 2013 Challenge

I keep seeing this word stretch.. What exactly does it mean???

Stretching is when you extend the time between usual hair practices. Like stretching relaxers from 8 weeks to 12 weeks. Stretching wash days from once a week to once every 2 weeks.

Sent from my Android...Boom.

I wash my mini twists today and they still look good! I'm hoping they hold up a few more weeks. When I take these out I'm going to dust my ends and probably put in a set of mini braids. I want them to be very small like my twists, but only if I can figure out a way for the take down not to be hell. I'm consistently taking my vitamins and supplements.

I would truly love to be at BSL at the end of April. It would be a great Bday gift. If I am not quite there, that's okay too. As long as I have had progress then that is what really matters.

My hair is already the longest its ever been since I have taken care of it myself. My mother had it down my back with water, grease, and cornrows. At least I know protective styling works LOL

This thread moves fast!

CurlyWurly what wig did you buy? Any pics?

CharnellG I like it! Is it harder to get to your hair with the invisible part? How long will you keep it in? Rollersets can give you straight, sleek hair, but your skills and technique have to be on point! I haven't perfected it, but lots of ladies insist on rollersets to avoid heat.

NikkiQ Lovin the jewelry and hair accessories! Is shipping crazy from PR? Also, did you hit the beach? Was your bun successful? Where dem pics???

Last edited:
BraunSugar said:
This is pretty! Have you considered more textured hair for your sew-ins or do you just prefer a sleek & straight look?

I'd actually prefer it.. However the really cheap curly hair was synthetic and the expensive curl hair was remy... No in between

LovLeeLaDee said:
This thread moves fast!

CharnellG I like it! Is it harder to get to your hair with the invisible part? How long will you keep it in? Rollersets can give you straight, sleek hair, but your skills and technique have to be on point! I haven't perfected it, but lots of ladies insist on rollersets to avoid heat.

Uhm yea it's a little crowded making it hard to treat the area with the part but it's very small of a section so I'll just deal. Im going to keep it in hopeful until December maybe til the middle of December.

LovLeeLaDee said:
This thread moves fast!

NikkiQ Lovin the jewelry and hair accessories! Is shipping crazy from PR? Also, did you hit the beach? Was your bun successful? Where dem pics???

It's a wig by Kali, tbh I've never heard of it but it was cheap! Perfect for when I feel like having some hair on my shoulders! Pics below

Attachments

• image-209443929.jpg
    image-209443929.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image-4144954924.jpg
    image-4144954924.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 32
This thread moves fast!

@CurlyWurly what wig did you buy? Any pics?

@CharnellG I like it! Is it harder to get to your hair with the invisible part? How long will you keep it in? Rollersets can give you straight, sleek hair, but your skills and technique have to be on point! I haven't perfected it, but lots of ladies insist on rollersets to avoid heat.

@NikkiQ Lovin the jewelry and hair accessories! Is shipping crazy from PR? Also, did you hit the beach? Was your bun successful? Where dem pics???

No shipping isn't bad at all. It's just like shipping from another state and takes between 3-5 days to arrive. Even my mom was surprised that I got their care package on a Tuesday when they mailed it off that Saturday before lol. No beach this weekend. DH decided to do yard work and wash his truck Saturday with no shirt on and ended up sunburnt like a **** (DH is white so he looked like a lobster) so he didn't want to get anymore sun this weekend. Hair stayed in these braids the whole weekend :lol:. I did take them down last night, moisturize, applied MN on my scalp, and rebraided them.

NikkiQ said:
beautyintheyes I'm still playing around with the pieces so I haven't put them up in my store yet. Here's what I've done so far

I love were your going with them I'm looking for a lot of headbands cause I'm getting bored with my hair so let me know when you put them up I rather buy from you ☺

I think I might cut my hair (or get a really good trim) and make BSL my only goal length for 2013 instead of shooting for MBL.

I didn't make it in the 2012 bsl challenge, I couldn't make it past APL but I know what I did wrong and this challenge I'm going to be very dedicated and consistent.
~Current hair length - APL
~Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd - NATURAL
~BSL goal month - FULL BSL IN DEC
~Current Reggie and styling choices - shampoo bi weekly w/dr. bronners peppermint castile soap, cowash w/tresseme naturals and DC w/ AOGPB sealed with macadamia oil weekly, braid hair with AOHSR and coconut oil weekly, spray braids with mixture of jane carter revitalizing leave in, kinky curly spiral spritz, and rose water every day. I use random oils nearly everyday. Styles are going to be mainly cornrows covered by lace wigs. Buns and WnGs occasionally.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to BSL? Being super gentle to my hair, not manipulating my hair more than once a week, no heat, trim my ends when needed instead of because its time (lesson learned), keep hair stretched as much as possible, stop scratching my scalp violently for no good reason other than it feels good, and eventually bring back tea rinses and flax seed gel to my regimen. ETA: I also need to start back using emu oil, I had excellent regrowth in my crown and need to make that my go to scalp oil again. Not sure why I stopped

ETA:

Attachments

• 2012-11-08_14-15-36_347.jpg
    2012-11-08_14-15-36_347.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Welcome @CurlsBazillion! Do you make your own flax seed gel? Never learned how to do that. Is it better than any other gel you've used before?
@NikkiQ I do just by boiling the seeds and straining it while hot. It is waaaay better than any gel that I've used and in my opinion it should be recognized more for its moisturizing ability than defining ability. I want to start adding this to my hair as I am braiding. I love the stuff but don't like to reuse it after I make it but I need to learn how to make just enough for my daughter and I so I don't have to worry about its shelf life.

I would like to try to wear more buns, but I am afraid it will make my ends too knotty. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent my ends from knotting. My hair is 4a/b.

yay! I am so excited :)

Current hair length: APL

~Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

~BSL goal month: March 2013

~Current Reggie and styling choices: wash 1x a week, deep condition whenever I feel the need. co-wash 1x a week. I PS 90% of the time in a bun, sometimes I rock the occasional twist out, braid out, updo or wash n go ponytail.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to BSL? Nothing, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing :)

~Post a beginning picture
layers1112.jpg

I am about 2 inches away from BSL right now.

Last edited:
~Current hair length
Between APL and BSB
~Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Natural
~BSL goal month
December
~Current Reggie and styling choices
Wash every 2 weeks, deep condition at the same time, moisturizing and heavy sealing (maybe with a silicone based product), bunning, oiling my hair every other day.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to BSL?
I will definitely stay away from any heat tool and thread my hair instead, will keep on with my ceramides, drink loads of water, massage my scalp when possible, hide my ends and protect my hair at night, comb my hair once a month and finger comb the rest of the time. I will also try to eat right and exercise. :yep:
~Post a beginning picture
I will post a beginning picture at the end of December so it's accurate :)

Saturday I shampooed, did a protein treatment, then DCed. Followed that up with moisturizing and sealing then left them up in Bantu knots till this morning. Will co wash tonite or tomorrow nite.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Hey Ladies!!

I am trying a new PS. I'm still rocking the braid out but I french roll it in the back. I luv it b/c all I have to do is put my bonnet on and then the next day fluff the curls back in the front. I'm still trying to decide if it's better to M&S everyday, which means I will have to take down the french roll and "manipulate" my hair or is it better to DC 2x's a week, while only "manipulating" on wash days? Any thoughts? I have attached sum pics. I will try to post better pics throughout the week.

Attachments

• collage roll clip.jpg
    collage roll clip.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 39
  • roll clip.jpg
    roll clip.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 32
I think for my birthday,I wanna go all out. It'll be my 30th so I gotta do it up. Big BSL twist out. Super divafied! :lol:

I will be turning 30 next yr too!! I want to go to Canada or maybe South Africa but everything is sooo expensive. I'm thinking about making payments to a travel agent or something but I don't know if my friends can afford it:sad: I would LOVE to have a huge braid-out fro while walking in the motherland:drunk:

I hope you meant damp... :lol:. I bun or damp or wet hair so I can tie down my edges and let them dry smooth.

:lachen: My bad. I meant damp. Stupid phone. Anyway when you tie your edges down put your hair in 2 twists or braids. And then when you're ready to bun, you can just twist them into a bun and pin down. Should be able to keep your ends from getting knotted up.

The destination is Cabo San Lucas! My friend plans these trips and makes payment plans, so I always know well in advance! Already thinking I'm going to start with nice straight hair and end with buns after I go swimming :-)

I think for my birthday,I wanna go all out. It'll be my 30th so I gotta do it up. Big BSL twist out. Super divafied! :lol:

So what will YOU do when you hit BSL in 2013???

Good afternoon ladies hope everyone is having a good day.
Today was a co wash day for me and I'm just air drying in a bun now.

So after a week of fighting to wear my hear straight, I finally decided yesterday to do a bantu-knot out (got the idea from Elle on YT, she used to be on here, but I haven't seen her in a while) and I used the coconut and hibiscus milk from Shea Moisture and my hair feels so moisturized and smooth.

I'm about 79% sure I will have some heat damage after this week, which pisses me off. I spend TWO years babying my hair and I throw it out the window in one week because I became OBSESSED with the straight look. Something that baffled me was the fact that the left side of my hair seemed damaged, like the ends were very rough and frizzed up within minutes of my going outside and I can't imagine why :ohwell:

Anyways, if it is heat damage, I'll just baby it and trim slowly but surely over the next 6-9 months. I WILL make BSL in 2013, I want to make it for my June graduation, so I might revisit MN or sulphur, we'll see...

Hey ladies!!

Question time (thanks to jprayze)

When we hit our goal of BSL in 2013, how will you celebrate?? Blow out? Bad a$$ twist/braid out? Dye job? Swing it til you hit someone in the face??

jprayze is going to look like a sexy mermaid with BSL hair in Cabo. pelohello and myself will be ringing in our 30th birthdays with big BSL diva hair. I'll have a fresh dye job as well (my treat for reaching another milestone). What say you ladies??

Back