BSL 2010 Challenge

I wanna go for it:yep: Please add me!

Regimen: C&G (braids as protective style), wash/co-wash 1-2x weekly, moisturize daily, texlaxing with Mizani ButterBlends Mild every 12+ weeks, adding braidouts and bunning in 2010

Products your using: Aphogee, Henna/indigo, MN, Mizani ButterBlends Mild, Mizani H2O Intense, still looking for a good deep conditioner and moisturizer K.I.S.S.

Starting Hair Length: SL

Goal Month: December, 2010

Pics if possible!

Attachments

• 100_2168.jpg
    100_2168.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 0802091650a.jpg
    0802091650a.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 8
I take it as meaning Between Shoulder Blade

Yeah, it actually means Below Shoulder Blade. If it was between we could all claim it the moment we hit shoulder length.

The point of BSB was to make it easier for people to know when they truly hit BSL...since the bra strap is supposed to fall right below the shoulder blades anyway (and not up at the armpits or neck :look:). And, that way it's measured by a body part (like everything else) and not by an article of clothing. I hope that made sense. You can't be BSB before APL.

Anyway, I may have to join this challenge. Hmmm. I'll come back in December and see where I end up.

Just checking in, I'm in individual braids using my own hair until oct 11, when I will redo them and leave them up for another month. Right now because it's been so hot in cali and alot of fires, which makes the air hot and dry, I have been cowashing everyday. I think I will just be in braids until I reach my goal.

I would like to join.

I don't have a reg. yet because I am transitioning and trying to figure out these 2 inches of natural hair that I have. Once I figure that out. I will put a weave in and continue wearing then until next year.

My current length is shoulders. I am about 3 inches from armpit and about 6 inches from bsl. I am currently on a vit reg. that consists of gelatin, biotin, amino acid complex, silica and bromelian. Whew!

I am keeping my fingers crossed because last time I was about 2 inches away and I started cutting my hair off but I am more focused now.

HHG Ladies!

Yeah, it actually means Below Shoulder Blade. If it was between we could all claim it the moment we hit shoulder length.

The point of BSB was to make it easier for people to know when they truly hit BSL...since the bra strap is supposed to fall right below the shoulder blades anyway (and not up at the armpits or neck :look:). And, that way it's measured by a body part (like everything else) and not by an article of clothing. I hope that made sense. You can't be BSB before APL.

Anyway, I may have to join this challenge. Hmmm. I'll come back in December and see where I end up.

Thanks MSA. That's what I was getting at, but I just wanted to be sure I knew what the acronym meant.

Im in - Goal is to be BSL by my 35th bday - April 27th

I plan on Low Heat which in my world is once every two weeks.
One week protective
One week heat

DC weekly
Protein every 2 weeks
Relax every 8-10 weeks

Lets Get It!

Yes please, put me down, I'm in!!!

Regimen:
- prepoo weekly
- shampoo once weekly
- clarify every 4-5weeks
- DC weekly
- rollerset weekly
- moisturize and seal ends daily

Products your using:
shampoo - therape, aloe rid,
conditioner - aphogee 2 min reconstruct & balancing conditioner, humectress, keraphix and keracare humecto
leave in - humectress luxe
Moisturizer - soft n free oil moisturizer
oil - african royale 6 oil and herbs

Starting hair length: SL

Goal month: December 2010

Attachments

• hair progress.jpg
    hair progress.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
I'm down for this one!

Regimen: cowash every other day, scalp massages (when i remember) protein dc 1x weekly, moisture dc 1-2x weekly, buns 99.9% of the time, low manipulation and heat.

Products your using: Suave moisturizing condish, dove moisturizing condish and shampoo, silk elements cholesterol, cpr, aphogee 2 minute reconstructor.

Starting Hair Length: CBL

Goal Month: June 2010 (i have 5 inches to go to get to BSL)

Pics if possible:
Picture365-1.jpg

Last edited:
Regimen:

Uh...what's that? :yawn:
I'm in the Twist Challenge at the moment so I do protective styles for 1-2 weeks at a time followed by less protective styles for 3-5 days. I wash with shampoo 1-2X a month, depending on whether or not my hair feels like it needs it.

DC 2-4X a month using various concoctions - most recently the core ingredients are Full Fat Yogurt, Coconut Cream, Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil (Me love Coconuts :lick:) Honey, Braggs ACV, Baking Soda and/or Salt.

Products your using:

Moisture Spritz - Aloe Vera Gel, Rosewater, Glycerine, splash of Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein or SAA
ECOstyler Gel
Suave Tropical Coconut & Vo5 Moisture Milks
Coconut Oil mixed with EVOO
Vatika Oil
Castor Oil
Very Seldomly - EQ Feels Like Silk, EQ Glaze and random experiments

Starting Hair Length:

Collarbone-ish?
c9caeb89.jpg

Goal Month:

For my Anniversary next year - Sept 30. 2009

Maybe I should follow directions, LOL

Regimen: Listed Above

Products your using:
CON Green
Lustrasilk Oatmeal and Honey Cholesterol
Baking soda to Clarify
Suave Naturals Vanilla
Suave Naturals Coconut
Olive Oil
Sunsilk Pink
HE Hydrolicious

I plan on getting:
Coconut Oil
Some kind of Dominican Conditioners

Starting Hair Length:
Right now, Im about an inch and a half from Bra Strap, will post pics soon

Goal Month:
April

I would like to be BSL in 2010, at least by December. It seems like I've been APL forever!!! I was thinking about leaving my hair in a bun indefinitely but I got bored with it and I was tired of re-doing my bun when shorter pieces would start to stick out. Plus, I felt like the bun wasn't flattering to my face nor was it any fun for real. So I've decided to wash, condition, detangle, blowdry and flat-iron once a month and keep my ends oiled and rolled up at night and I'm going to avoid trimming and combing.

I believe I've been APL for so long is because of combing my hair in it's natural state too much when dry, trimming, and from using too much grease to flat iron my hair. Even though grease gets my natural hair really straight when flat-ironing, I think it's causing split ends from the heat it produces when the flat-iron goes over my hair. So now, I'm going to flat-iron without grease and leave my hair with more volume and softness.

My starting length:
dsc07121vi.jpg

UPDATE - JANUARY 5, 2010!!!
I changed my hair routine...no longer using heat....I will be moisturizing and protective styling my natural hair to retain hair length. Details of my regimen can be found at this link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?b=14524

Last edited:
I would like to join !

Regimen:
Sunday wash and rollerset and leave hair alone except on wash days.
Henna every other week and Deep Condition ever other week
Co-Wash once a week
No Heat except for Hooded Dryer
Moisturize and seal with oil daily or every other day will do this as needed.

Products your using:
Tresemme Shampoo and Conditior
Deep Cond - UBH
Moisturizer - Organics Olive Oil
Oil - Carrot Oil

Starting Hair Length:

Shoulder Length

Goal Month:

July 2010

Attachments

• Aug20_TouchUp_1.jpg
    Aug20_TouchUp_1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 20
So exciting, my first length challenge!! So I'm probably being very ambitious in joining, but we'll see how far I get. I'll have to post pics tonight when I get home. The longest part of my hair is approx. 6 inches now, and when I stretch my nape is about shoulder length and sides come just under my chin.

Regimen: I co-wash and condition every 2-3 days, spray in the mornings and evenings with my conditioner spritz, seal ends with a little vaseline after every wash. Clarify, deep condition and rebraid once a month. No trimming at all. Currently wearing hair in cornrows underneath wigs.

Products your using: Aphogee Protein Treatment, Castor oil, coconut oil, vaseline, V05 Milk Conditioner, Hello Hydration, ACV, ORS Deep Penetrating Conditioner, Afroveda Curly Custard. (Taking biotin, chlorella, rice protein shake with flaxseed meal, Organic Life vitamins and kelp.)

Starting Hair Length: Hair ranges from 4-6 inches.

Goal Month: Dec. 2010

picture.php
This was the last time I straightened my hair in July. I cheated in using heat and I only did the nape and my temple on the right side to check length.

Last edited:
I'm I think its pretty reasonable to say Ill be bsl next year. Ive been practicing good hair practices. I'm so excited so sign me up.

alright, so it's a safe bet to say i need to drop out of BSL09 and join this one...all that trimming did me in. (at least my ends are cute)

soooo here is my starting picture:
102_0404-vi.jpg

i'll be ambitious and push for 6 months from now...april fools' day. (i won't even start to joke about the irony of that date)

current regimen: don't really have one for curly hair as far as a style, but moisture-wise i cowash every 3-4 days and leave some conditioner in. i think a full sew-in would be more cost-efficient (and less damaging) than getting a dominican blowout every 3 weeks, but until i get both the hair and a stylist i am going to wear my hair straight, or at least stretched with a blow dryer a la PinkSkates. my ends like to fight with each other :giggle: thus hindering my retention. to ward off any heat damage, i will be DCing with a light protein added to my moisturizing conditioners (more than likely aphogee 2 min + gvp conditioning balm) every 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I'm In! Thanks for starting the challenge!:grin:

Regimen:

October 1- December 31:
Twists for 10-14 days
Steam, Detangle and Re-twist every 10-14 days
Moisturize daily
Protein once a month

January 1- December 31:
Weave every 3 months
Retighten every 6 weeks
Moisturize every other day
Wash every 3 weeks

Products you're using:
ORS Replenishing Paks
Elucence MB Shampoo
Elucence MB Conditioner
Water/ Glycerin/ Jojoba Oil/ Aloe Vera Gelly Mix

Starting Hair Length:
9 inches bangs, side, nape (need 5 inches)
11 inches crown (need 3 inches)

As of November 8, 2009:
9 inches nape (need 5 inches)
10 inches bangs and sides (need 4 inches)
11 inches crown (need 3 inches)

As of December 2, 2009:
9.5 inches nape (need 4.5 inches)
10 inches side (need 4 inches)
10.5 inches bangs (need 3.5 inches)
12 inches crown (need 2 inches)

Goal Month:

Hoping to be APL by March 2010 (11 inches) then BSL by November 2010 (14 inches)

Starting Picture

Last edited:
i am currently a smiggen past collar bone in the back/ middle. i hope to reach APL by Jan. So Im going to be working on BSL by the end of 2010

Regimen:I currently and in a "natural" weave as a protective style. I plan on PS'n till jan.

When not in weave or braids:
Usually I DC once a week with condish usually trader joes + honey+ essential oils and LeKair cholesterol.

I apply shea butter and coconut oil, sometime giovani direct and I flat twist into a bun and wear a twist out for the weekend

Products your using:
My staples= shea butter, coconut oil, Lekair cholesterol, giovani direct leave in, castor oil
* subject to change

Starting Hair Length: collar bone

Goal Month: November 2010

Pics if possible!
As soon as I figure out how to upload a pic....but I will try to make my avitar my starting length

Januray 2010 length check
DSCF2499-1.jpg

Last edited:
album.php

here is my starting length, this was early late september after a small trim.
DSCF2107-1-1.jpg

for personal comparison this is january 2010
DSCF2500-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes please add me to this challenge. I hope to be BSL by june 2010. I'm currenty 14 weeks into my transition. My regiman will be keeping my hair braided, washing and deep conditioning weekly, and mositurizing daily. My starting pic is in my siggy.

Ok, here are my 2 starting pics. So yea, I was trying to do the wig thing, I dunno I don't think I like wigs anymore, lol. So I'm going to continue cowashing probably only 1 to 2 times a week. I'm going to try a bun here and there. Maybe some cornrows. I'm still going to continue with my products and all that.

I did give myself a small trim so I failed the no trimming challenge, lol. The ends were looking funky and they were starting to tangle. My hair feels a million times better so I think 6 months without a trim is probably best for me at this point. Oh and Im stretching my bsl goal to September 2010 only because I see myself not protective styling too heavy this winter.

ETA: Oh yes, I always moisturize at night. I may spray with water, throw in a moisturizer and seal with jojoba. I love jojoba oil. I may moisturize during the day when I'm forced to leave my home. I usually use oyin juices and berries (I added a little water and olive oil to it). It works well and my hair smells good. I also use a kbb hair milk on top of it. Currently I'm in pixie braids.

20pbk7q.jpg

j6ls11.jpg

Last edited:
I want in! I was in the BSL 09 challenge, but I have done a lot of cutting to get rid of damage.
Regimen: Wash and DC 1x per week, Protein 1x month, Relax every 10-12 weeks, Protective Style with buns or caruso set
Products your using: Joico Kpak line, Aveda Damage Remedy line, Wave Nuveau, and JBCO
Starting Hair Length: APL
Goal Month: Aug. 2010
Starting Pic:

Attachments

• IMG00051-20090928-1623.jpg
    IMG00051-20090928-1623.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 19
Count me in. I'm APL, hoping to be BSL by March. I don't really have a set regimen other than weekly rollersets, moisturizing daily, and switching back to the Aveda DR line.

I'm currently 11 weeks post and thinking about transitioning. If I don't get thru next week, I will be getting touch-ups every 10-12 weeks.

Good luck everyone!

I'd like to be in this challenge. I hope to make BSL straightened by August 2010 - my BC date.

Regime:

I've kind of slacked off with my reggie. I was washing/dc-ing once a week, but now it's more like every two weeks.

I shampoo with diluted Dr. Bronner's and condition with Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Enriching Conditioner. Unrefined shea butter is my leave-in.

I DC with a homemade mix of oils (castor, grapeseed, wheatgerm, olive) in a base of aloe vera juice. I also add Jim's liquid sea kelp, liquid oat beta glucans and some eos (peppermint, eucalyptus, sage clary). I take chlorella and spirulina as well, recently added Biosil. Can you tell I'm really trying to get to BSL?

I henna/cassia once a month.

Starting hair length:

Haven't straightened in a minute (since March), but I am around SL. Will add pics when I straigthen.

Let's get to growing.:grin:

Checking in with an October 2009 update picture. The shorter comparison shot is from Dec of 2008.

Attachments

• Oct 09.jpg
    Oct 09.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Dec08 002.jpg
    Dec08 002.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 6
I'm in! :yep: This is my 1st Challenge! Happy about it! :)

Regimen:
Weekly deep con under dryer, 1 week daily co-wash & wet bunning, 1 week flat ironed or roller/ rod/ flexi set...wrap nightly for the rest of the week with little to no heat. Shampoo once a week before the deep con. Protein treatment once a month.

Products your using: SO MANY! TRUE PJ! Garnier Fructis Length & Strength & Sleek & Shine lines, Motions, Affirm 5 in 1 for monthly protein treatment, Mixed Chicks, Lacio Lacio, Mizani Foam Wrap, Denman brush, Keracare Humecto Con.

Starting Hair Length: A little past SL.

Pics: In my Hair Album

Goal Month: December 2010 at BSL

Last edited:
Back