BSL 2010 Challenge

I haven't checked in a while. I'm still PSing and doing my Ayurveda regimen. I flat ironed my hair yesterday for the first time since Dec. 2009 for a wedding. I'm 12 weeks post and needed to look half way decent. My roots are still puffy, but it was good enough for me for a quick job. I think I can say that I am BSB, but I want to be sure so I won't claim it until my touch up in April. I think I should be for sure by then. Will post pics then too. I wear my bra low so I don't go by that. When I get to the bra, I should be pretty much MBL.
CIMG0156-1.jpg

I haven't checked in a while. I'm still PSing and doing my Ayurveda regimen. I flat ironed my hair yesterday for the first time since Dec. 2009 for a wedding. I'm 12 weeks post and needed to look half way decent. My roots are still puffy, but it was good enough for me for a quick job. I think I can say that I am BSB, but I want to be sure so I won't claim it until my touch up in April. I think I should be for sure by then. Will post pics then too. I wear my bra low so I don't go by that. When I get to the bra, I should be pretty much MBL.
CIMG0156-1.jpg

WOW your hair looks great. It thick and full. Like you stated your bra is sitting low, look BSB to me.

Well, I did my protein treatment yesterday. So I will be getting my relaxer this week. Im so excited. Hope I see some length. Im closing out at 14 weeks. The same amount of time as last relaxer cycle.

I probally won't post a pic until my next relaxer.

Last edited:
Well, I did my protein treatment yesterday. So I will be getting my relaxer this week. Im so excited. Hope I see some length. Im closing out at 14 weeks. The same amount of time as last relaxer cycle.

I probally won't post a pic until my next relaxer.

Is your next relaxer going to be in June, Mine will be the 2nd weekend in June. Next pictures will be taken by June 24 where I will have had 2 trims from the last picture!

Ladies just to let you ladies know, I will be keeping a weekly or every other week journal on what I am doing with my hair and the products and status in my Fotki I am very excited I have also done a few reviews and will be back to do more, I have a TON of products and would like to give each good or bad a great overall review.

Next relaxer will be 2nd Saturday in JUNE!

I did a wash and DC today..my roots are so thick..i cant even wait to get a touchup!..and I am supposed to be waiting til april...i dunno how i am gonna do it...

Today was wash day. I did a hot oil with coconut oil and JBCO mixed for 20mins under dryer with plastic cap. Once my hair cooled, I did a protein with an egg, 1/2 avocado, 2/3 cup of coconut milk and a tbs honey. I didn't go back under the dryer, just sat with it on my head for 1hr. and did a final rinse with tea. I am loving how my hair feels.

Is your next relaxer going to be in June, Mine will be the 2nd weekend in June. Next pictures will be taken by June 24 where I will have had 2 trims from the last picture!

Ladies just to let you ladies know, I will be keeping a weekly or every other week journal on what I am doing with my hair and the products and status in my Fotki I am very excited I have also done a few reviews and will be back to do more, I have a TON of products and would like to give each good or bad a great overall review.

Next relaxer will be 2nd Saturday in JUNE!

Yeah, mine will be in June as well. I will be checking your Fotki too.

I haven't posted an update since joining because i was in a install. When i have a weave in, all i do basically is moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I also apply MT and MN to my hair but that's too boring to post. I'm still in my bobraz i installed last week. I recently got an invitation to a friends wedding in May so i guess my relaxer stretch will go for 7 months instead of 6. It's going well so far, since i've been using weaves as a ps but i'm so anxious to see if i made my goal of APL. If so, i will definitely make it to BSL in December (crossing fingers)

checking in...did a hard protein treatment a couple weeks ago in addition to my reg steaming etc. last sunday tried to clairol beautiful collection jet black semi-perm color...used a bottle and a half. not super in love with the results. my hair is dark but not the 'ink" jet black i was hoping for. my hair also doesn't feel as soft to me as usual. yesterday was wash/detangle day so now i'm just in twists waiting for them to dry and will prob do a twist out for the next couple days. getting my hair flat-ironed this week so will post update pics. i've also decided to take the BKT plunge. i go out of the country in 2 weeks so hopefully i can get it done before i leave. everyone's updates are looking great ladies!

eta...also i've been using a great sulfate free cleanser called sfree moisturinzing shampoo. love it! throwing out every other shampoo i have

Last edited:
*copied and pasted from MBL 2010 thread*

Ok, so I got my blowout....and I'm disappointed.

Not because my hair was damaged by my stylist, because it actually turned out FABULOUS...but my ends are so thin and scraggly looking, despite this HYH I have been on. I definitely gained some growth since my last length check in November and I really think making it to BSL by June is no problem, but I am 1" from full BSL and I need a 1" trim, so I guess that technically makes me 2" from BSL. I haven't decided whether I'm going to get that trim now or later since I will not be wearing my hair straight again for a few months. I really think braids are not my friend, in the sense that they thin my hair out, which is something I realized before I even knew what healthy hair was...so I will stick with my plan to go into senegalese twists and rethink the crochet braids. Pics below.

*note: full BSL will be when I reach the top of the yellow shirt, since I am almost at BSB now...MBL will be the bottom of my bra.

102_0951-vi.jpg

this pic is so you can see my gross ends:
102_0952-vi.jpg

Not because my hair was damaged by my stylist, because it actually turned out FABULOUS...but my ends are so thin and scraggly looking, despite this HYH I have been on. I definitely gained some growth since my last length check in November and I really think making it to BSL by June is no problem, but I am 1" from full BSL and I need a 1" trim, so I guess that technically makes me 2" from BSL. I haven't decided whether I'm going to get that trim now or later since I will not be wearing my hair straight again for a few months. I really think braids are not my friend, in the sense that they thin my hair out, which is something I realized before I even knew what healthy hair was...so I will stick with my plan to go into senegalese twists and rethink the crochet braids. Pics below.

*note: full BSL will be when I reach the top of the yellow shirt, since I am almost at BSB now...MBL will be the bottom of my bra.

102_0951-vi.jpg

102_0952-vi.jpg

Congratulations on your progress, you've gained a considerable amount of length. Your ends don't look as bad as you think they do. With a nice trim to clean things up a bit and a little tlc you'll be bsl in no time.:yep: Meanwhile maybe you could opt for another ps besides braids.

Checking in, yesterday I pre pooed with Amla and Shikakai oil then cowashed last night. Today I will use my homemade sulfur mixture.

I had to cut 1.5 inches off last night because the BKT I got damaged the ends so bad.. I guess I'm going to have to push back BSL until December at least :ohwell:unless I get a major summer growth spurt

It's funny how our hair seems so short to us, but long to others. Sometimes I feel like I'll never reach my goal. And yet others around me are telling me how long my hair is. :perplexed JJ, I look at your hair and I see flowing locks.:yep:

We can be our own worse critic, that's for sure.:yep:

Firstborn, you are too funny hiding your hair from SO like that. He'll definitely be pleasantly surprised come December.:yep:

:lachen::lachen:

Yay, I am so glad your retaining, that is very important :) Congrats on the growth!

Cheer Up, you might have Anorexia of the hair like me. I think my hair looks so Short!
[/QUOTE]

:spike: this is my hair LOL, Thanks for the support. Hopefully the next few months brings good growth!

:lachen::lachen:

Yay, I am so glad your retaining, that is very important :) Congrats on the growth!

Cheer Up, you might have Anorexia of the hair like me. I think my hair looks so Short!

JJ I think your hair is so thick; shiny, and pretty. I feel like you"ll be BSL way before you think.[/QUOTE]

:cry: Aww thanks! I hope your right! Right now I am like wow, I seemed so close. I don't even see any breakage, how did my hair get so short, huh!

Yeah, mine will be in June as well. I will be checking your Fotki too.

Great we will be relaxing in the same month, I will be updating that Fotki with Journals as much as possible and pictures every 6 months this year and every 4 months next year. :) Since I won't be really on hard pressure! I don't want to take pics so much to dissappoint myself :ohwell:.
Seems like 5 years ago I could care less about my hair and it just grew.

I had to cut 1.5 inches off last night because the BKT I got damaged the ends so bad.. I guess I'm going to have to push back BSL until December at least :ohwell:unless I get a major summer growth spurt

Sorry to hear about your minor setback. 1.5 inches is not to bad. I'm sure you'll gain that back plus a lot more this summer.:yep:

Thanks for your encouragement! I really needed it.. now I'm like an inch from APL again :( I'm going to try! Right now I'm back in my weave so I'm hoping to retain everything!

You just might don't count yourself out. these are the slower months anyway. :)

I haven't checked in here in a while. I'm currently 2 months post with 1 inch of new growth. I've decided to try and transition. :look: I don't know how long I can go without the creamy crack though. :look:

Checking in - my current length is in my siggy. I get a lot of growth in the summer, so I'm excited about the warmer months coming up.

102_0951-vi.jpg

102_0952-vi.jpg

Sorry about your ends. If I were you, I would go ahead and get the trim. You don't want the splits to travel up the hair shaft and cause further damage. When is the last time you had a trim? I trim twice a year, but I do wear my hair down often.

Hi Ladies,

I joined the APL Challenge unofficially and it appears that I can claim APL (I should be full by May), so I would like to unofficially join the BSL challenge...I don't know if this is really feasible, but I would love to try. I'm up for the challenge!!!

Attached is my starting pic...

Attachments

• March 12 Length Check 027.jpg
    March 12 Length Check 027.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

I joined the APL Challenge unofficially and it appears that I can claim APL (I should be full by May), so I would like to unofficially join the BSL challenge...I don't know if this is really feasible, but I would love to try. I'm up for the challenge!!!

Attached is my starting pic...

:welcome3:To the BSB/BSL 2010 challange. I saw your thread, congratulations on reaching APL. :)

My longest tip is at bsl which makes me very happy. I haven't been protective styling really; I enjoy my hair a lot but I need it to pass this apl hump. I'm aiming to get a weave until summer starts and I can start cowashing again. We shall see.

:welcome3:To the BSB/BSL 2010 challange. I saw your thread, congratulations on reaching APL. :)

Thanks JJamiah!!! I'm excited to see how far I can go. I posted a while back in this thread just saying how you guys are an inspiration to me...You still are, I'm just excited to be able to join!

My longest tip is at bsl which makes me very happy. I haven't been protective styling really; I enjoy my hair a lot but I need it to pass this apl hump. I'm aiming to get a weave until summer starts and I can start cowashing again. We shall see.

Wow so your good, by Summer your hair will be more than tipping it :) COngratulations to you as well :)

Keep up the good work, I guess your going to be shooting for MBL by the end of the year. :)

Just checkin in. I went for my steam treatment and to get my twists redone. I'm too lazy to post pics, but I will definitely post them tomorrow.

ITA that the winter months are when my hair grows the slowest. I'm just ready to claim full BSL...I'm so close I can taste it!:lick:

But alas, patience is a virtue (so I hear). Therefore, I'll try to sit tight for another month (or however long it takes). I'm out of my Nioxin vitamins, so I guess I'll be making a stop tomorrow to pick up more. I did buy some chewable Biotin tablets. :ohwell:We'll see how I do with them...:ohwell:

Last edited:
Back