Braided Buddies

Can i join? I did box braids on monday and plan on wearing them until July when i graduate. I plan on washing every week with the stocking cap method. However because i am natural and the hair is my own i'm not sure whether i should use a strengthener or give my hair a rest. I will also redo them ever 8 weeks to prevent locking ( ill probably redoe the front ones much sooner than that)

Can I join in on this too? I get my braids tomorrow and will ATTEMPT (depending on the style I finallly settle on) to keep them in till Thanksgiving. I'll be 16 weeks post by then and in need of a GOOD trim.

I have had my silky twists for about a week and a half now and they already look like I have had them in for a month!! While I am ECSTATIC about the rate of my hair growth (thanks MTG and Surge!!:D ), I am a little upset at the fact that they will have to be redone soo soon. I'll take pics of them tonight and post them in my album to show how they look after a week and a half. Have any of you ladies experienced growth like this with your braids and did you opt to keep getting them redone, or did you nix the whole braiding regemin all together? This seems like it could get expensive. I was hoping to have them redone every month in a half but my hair is on some other stuff, lol.

I'm happy to report I've taken down my last set of braids for the year. I love the results, but about 2 weeks after they're in I miss my hair. :( I won't be going back in until probably late-Jan/early-Feb. :yay:

I'm late. Can I join? I've had my hair in kinky twists for almost a month, and plan to keep them one more month. I've been spraying them daily with African Royal braid spray and infusion spray/oil mixture two times a week. I wash every two weeks using the modified C&G method. So far I have some good growth. I'm thinking of alternating between braids and a weave until next spring.

I want to join too. I get my braids on Friday. I plan to wear them for 1 to 2 mos depending on how much NG I get. I'm getting them done professionally, the box style w/ synetheic hair.

Hi ladies,:) I would like to join too. I have box plaits in my hair, that I did two weeks ago and will keep them in until December 7. I'm natural so plaits and twists is all I wear off and on. This helps me to keep my hands out of my hair and to see my growth. Will also do the C&G method and Surge.:look:

Last edited:
Hope it's not too late or if there is a new challenge starting.......I got my hair braided this weekend and will be doing crown-n-glory until April 07

Ok, I am joining in this challenge. Actually, I kinda did the challenge on my own. I have been braided since the end of June and keep refreshing them every few weeks to avoid locking. It seems to be going well so far. i use African Royale Braid Spray and keep meaning to get the Infusium 23 but have not gotten arouind to it.

Plan to keep the braids until mid January just to weeks before 'my wedding' (smile). I shall be doing a sets of protein and moisture deep conditioning treatments before the relaxer for the big day on February 3. That will be six and a half weeks of nonstop braids. I hope to be able to put them back in for another six months come say mid March about?

CurliDiva said:
Is anyone still using braids as their main protective style?

Yep, I am. Will do for at least another year I think, maybe longer. I love braids:D

Any updates on progress?

I updated my fotki just recently with one year progress pics.

Braids are great for my hair and my lifestyle. Like I said, I love 'em! :yay:

I got my hair braided on Monday, I got big box braids and corn rows in the front. I plan on staying in braids for 6 weeks at a time, taking them out for 2weeks to deep condition my hair (using Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Condition), and rest, then put them box braids back in until I reach APL, My goal is to be a full APL by the end of the year, and I'm going to reach it..darn it...

Got my hair braided/weaved a lil over a week ago. I'll be posting pics soon. The tightness finally went down but I do have a few bumps in the back. I'm just using African Royale spray to keep it moist.

I wanna be in on this too:D I just got my hair braided yesterday and I plan to leave them in for 3 months but re-braiding the first 2 rows at the front back and sides at my 6 week mark.

Hi! Can I join? I am currently braided up (first time in years) and plan on continuing until spring of next year. I am loving my style. I'm MTGing 1-2 times a week, but I can only wash every 3-4 weeks, when I take them out and rebraid. Hopefully this won't put me at a disadvantage. I want to protect my hair during this harsh winter!

How is your hair braided?

Is there a reason for washing once per month? My scalp could never handle that schedule.

Hi! Can I join? I am currently braided up (first time in years) and plan on continuing until spring of next year. I am loving my style. I'm MTGing 1-2 times a week, but I can only wash every 3-4 weeks, when I take them out and rebraid. Hopefully this won't put me at a disadvantage. I want to protect my hair during this harsh winter!

What style are you wearing?

Why do you wash only once per month? Have you seen an added benefit with this schedule?

I'm just curious!

I hope i am not to late i had box braids done on friday i really want to grow my hair out with this method .Ihave surge, african royale braidspray le kair conditioner .Also i bought mtg what else would i need with this hoping to learn from the best .

Hi Ladies, I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting braids (probably cornrowed in the front and then individual braids in the back) but the thing is I'm relaxed. I'm concerned that getting braids will do more harm than good. Any suggestions/ advice?

Hi Ladies, I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting braids (probably cornrowed in the front and then individual braids in the back) but the thing is I'm relaxed. I'm concerned that getting braids will do more harm than good. Any suggestions/ advice?

Make sure that you don't have a fresh touch up before braiding - the more new growth, the better for griping!

I hope i am not to late i had box braids done on friday i really want to grow my hair out with this method .Ihave surge, african royale braidspray le kair conditioner .Also i bought mtg what else would i need with this hoping to learn from the best .

Sounds like you have products- be careful of the MTG!

It has a strong smell and some complain about the sulfur build up on their scalp while braided.

Good luck!:yawn:

Make sure that you don't have a fresh touch up before braiding - the more new growth, the better for griping!

I wear the cornrow/individual style and I am relaxed. This is what I do-after a touch up I wait at least 2 weeks. I also stretch for 3-4 months at a time and each rebraid has more new growth to work with. It also is crucial to have a braider that understands not to try and braid your scalp! Snug and neat is one thing but forehead and eye lifts are not cute.

I'm getting mine done on the 28th - individuals with synthetic hair. I plan on paying for the first set and redoing myself to help me get through the winter. Maybe I'll leave them in until my birthday in april....]

If I find that the synthetic hair is drying me out gradually switch to human hair as I redo them. I'm excited to put away some of the bottles and brushes that are all over my sink right now!

Back