Braided Buddies

Zeal said:
Yes. I think it is. However, my Dad use to have a friend who said, if he could pick it up with tweezers, he could curl it.:lachen:

Yes, my hair is very short. Between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.

Question. How do you use MTG with box braids. i am so afraid that my braids will slide out. Evern whn my hair was longer, the braids would start sliding when I sweated.

Is there a way for the hair to be braided so that when it starts growing, some of the hair will not be pulled out of the scalp by the extension?

I think if hair is being pulled out with the extension, the extensions are probably pulled too tight.

I think I will wait until I get at least 1 inch. Which should be next month sometime, and a good braider who cares about hare care.

I will be taking out my braids in 2 weeks...right now I'm feeling so lazy...I think after I take out the braids I will deep treat for about 2 weeks and then I will be getting a texturizer touch up...It will be 9 months since' I've had any chemicals in my hair...I'm alittle nervous but I will be updating with pics by mid Feb.

Just updating on the braids i had in. I had to take them out last week. So I made it to 2 months instead of the 3 months I was aiming for. the new growth and the extension hair wasn't getting along;) ...they were pulling on my scalp and I didn't want to have breakage.

So now I am in cornrowns and wearing my wig over them. These are cornrows on my natural hair with no extensions. I will be wearing this for the rest of the January.

When I took the braids out I think I had close to 3/4 inches of new growth...I did 2 deep conditions and wore my afro puff one week. I decided to put the cornrows in today.

So I am still in, but with cornrows under a wig.

Okay ladies I can't hold on any longer I guess with the frequent washing and using the MTG the extention hair looks like it is holding on to 1 inch of thread and I don't want to risk loosing any hair so I am going to start taking them out tonight.....
Curly what did you do to your hair before you took them out did you spray them with anything?
I have taken about 6 out and I have no matted knots at the root that is a good.

My new growth is very thick in the middle and back and top...... minor growth near temples but have to be careful with edges those braids are small and I don't want the weight of the braid to pull my edges out.... so i have been wearing human hair braids down instead of up in ponytail and updo. Still washing every 3 to 4 days C&G Method. Some mornings I just wet my braids just to quench my hair's thirst. Will still try to stretch until end of febuary.

CurliDiva said:
I have a girlfriend who says that she NEVER washed her braids for the entire time that she have them in -- 3 to 4 months! She just oiled her scalp weekly.

Does anybody else do this? If so, how.

I can't imaging not cleaning my scalp for long. :perplexed

No way? 3-4 months?!:eek: I can't imagine either. I had a girlfriend that only washed her braids every 3 weeks. I had to tell her about the smell a few times. I wash and deep condition every 3-4 days. I started Crown and Glory in Oct. I can only keep my hair braided about 6 weeks before it starts to mat at the root. I just took them out yesterday. They'll be out for 2 months and back in by late March.

I took out my extensions this weekend and it was a breeze! I followed AjamericanDiva's method for braid removal and it went great, hardly any breakage, the only hairs that I lost were shedded hair and I really didn't have a lot of matting at the roots, in fact my hair was very soft. Right now I have it in a bun, I believe that I will be getting it texturized in about 3 weeks...but in the mean time I will be doing intense deep treatments to build up my strength.

Twisties said:
I'll join. I put braids in for the winter at the beginning of November. So it's almost 1 month. I paid so much for these I plan to keep them for 2 more months unless they get totally unruly. I will get my edges redone. I've been washing once a week with (Nioxin or Nizoral) no major frizz or itchies either. I posted my routine in the winter care regimine thread.

For wicky2828: I would get synthetic hair (Kanekalon). Natural hair will fuzz through human hair braids (especially after washing them). I tried that before and it was a mess! I washed them and it was so funny with the bush sticking out of the wet and wavy hair :lol:. Luckily that time my cousin did the human braids for me and I didn't lose much money.

Hey y'all!

Twisties, I read your post and almost fell of the stool! My natural hair is popping out of the braided portion of my two-strand/kinky twists already... After only one week of being braided by a "professional"! I used a Kanekalon/Takakelon synthetic hair and still my hair's popping out! UGH! And I've been too afraid to wash it this week for fear that my hair will really get unruly and overpower the synthetic!

I've been trying to think of the best way to wash it, without making too much of a fuss, and keep these twists as long as I can (I had planned on at least 6 weeks but now I don't think I'm going to make it that far)!

Help y'all!:confused:

I took my braids out about 3 weeks ago. I'm in the resting phase, I will be getting a touch up in about 4 weeks and then after 2 weeks I will be weaving it up because I'm alternating between C&G method and weaving.

i am joining in
i have my hair in cornrows right now
i got them done in jan 06

challenges: crown and glory, newbie 1-3 inch 06-07

length: 3inches

hair goal: to see how long it will be for 6/06
hair goal after 6/06 : to see how long it will be for 12/06
until it is at bsl

I'm a little late, but I'll join also. My hair was just braided this weekend. Corn rolls on top, individuals in the back. I'll wear braids until May, give it a rest (If I can stop being lazy and style my hair- :lol: ) and then re-braid.

Currently using - MTG mixture, Surge, Elucence co and S-Curl.
Daily- 1000 mg of MSM and 2 Ultra NourishHair (GNC)

Will try to remember the baggie method b4 sleeping.

I usually co-wash everyother day (the only way I can comb w/o breakage). Any suggestions- How often should I wash my braids?

APL trying for healthy BS. Give or take an inch as I w/have to cut the back to even it up. Breakage in the middle before joining and applying methods learned from the board.

rai said:
I am sad to say that back in my hair neglect days that this used to be me (maybe washing 1 every 2 months). :( I didn't wash it because once I washed my braids would be a fuzzy mess. My scalp did not itch. But, I did have ALOT of build-up. Unfortunately, I think alot of people are told not to wash their hair while in braids. However, once you know how to wash the braids, you can minimize the fuzz factor.I got braids in on Dec. 20 2005 and I am washing my hair and scalp weekly (or once every 2 weeks). When I had braids in this summer in Jamaica , I was washing everyday and my braids did not get fuzzy.

I am currently braided and have no clue how to wash my braids without getting the fuzzy factor going on.

I am also guilty of not washing my braids (back inthe day) because I didn't know how and when I did, they would look a hot mess. :( I really need to learn how to wash them properly. I have a date with a man that I haven't seen in months (tonight) and I don't want to scare him away with the funk and the flakes.

Help! How do I do this the RIGHT way? I'm leaving work early today to get a jump on this.

TIA

JazzyFLPeach said:
I am currently braided and have no clue how to wash my braids without getting the fuzzy factor going on.

I am also guilty of not washing my braids (back inthe day) because I didn't know how and when I did, they would look a hot mess. :( I really need to learn how to wash them properly. I have a date with a man that I haven't seen in months (tonight) and I don't want to scare him away with the funk and the flakes.

Help! How do I do this the RIGHT way? I'm leaving work early today to get a jump on this.

TIA

Some recommend washing with a stocking cap on to minimize fuzziness, but I don't do that.

I fill a spray bottle with water and add about 2 tablespoons of shampoo (I use Mane N Tail). Then I get in the shower and rinse for a while without manipulating the braids. Then I spray my scalp with the diluted shampoo and let it run down to the ends of my braids. Then I rinse with water. I don't rub my braids with a towel to dry...I just kind of wrap then ends in a towel and let the rest airdry.

For me, the key to avoiding fuzzies is to avoid manipulating the braids while washing and drying. FYI- I wash once a week. Sometimes I rinse with water between washings.

Phoenix said:
Some recommend washing with a stocking cap on to minimize fuzziness, but I don't do that.

I fill a spray bottle with water and add about 2 tablespoons of shampoo (I use Mane N Tail). Then I get in the shower and rinse for a while without manipulating the braids. Then I spray my scalp with the diluted shampoo and let it run down to the ends of my braids. Then I rinse with water. I don't rub my braids with a towel to dry...I just kind of wrap then ends in a towel and let the rest airdry.

For me, the key to avoiding fuzzies is to avoid manipulating the braids while washing and drying. FYI- I wash once a week. Sometimes I rinse with water between washings.

Thanks so much, Phoenix! :)

I'll jump in the shower as soon as I get home this afternoon and try this out.

Thanks again!

I'm a little late on this too, but I'll join in I'm getting my braids on march 3, and will keep back to back braids til end of august. :grin:

Phoenix, thank you so much! I did exactly as you told me and the wash worked out very well. My scalp is flaking a little bit but I brushed it with a toothbrush so as not to manipulate the braids. Then I sprayed it with a botanical oil mix I found at the BSS. :)

Thanks again!

kitkat3ny said:
I'm in NYC, does anyone know of a good reliable stylist that does good box braids?
I have frequented a number of "African Braiding Centers" on 125th Street. I have returned a few times to Kone (pronounced Connie) at the African Hair Braiding Center at 1815 Park Avenue, at 125th Street. It's located under the elevated MetroNorth station and is nearest to the 4, 5, and 6 trains. Her number is 347-387-5805. She does a good job with individual braids and kinky twists. If she is unavailable, then ask her to refer you to Sale (pronounced Sally). Sale is particularly good with larger braided styles and weaves. If you need to purchase hair, try the spot directly around the corner on 125th Street, located in front of the bus stop. He has some of the best prices and selection I have found in the area and his products are on display so that the customer can manipulate and compare (unlike other spots where the hair is behind a glass counter and you are at the mercy of the clerk...). Don't confuse this store with the smaller African products shop next door to the Braiding spot: it carries a limited inventory of hair products.

I do hope this is helpful... I just took out my kinky twists last night (after 4 weeks) and I'm now sitting here trying to figure out if I want to rebraid it or if I want to retouch my textlaxer (I'm 8 weeks post).

Anywhoo, best of luck to you!:p

I am planning to remove my weave (and cornrows) tonight and let my hair rest before re-braiding this weekend.

Good luck everyone and keep growing! :)

How's this challenge going Y'all? I'll be back on in about 3 weeks after this relaxer drama I had this weekend. I'll be getting braids after I get my hair back in check.

I have a question for those of you who braid their own hair. I currently have micros in now (but I didn't really take care of my hair in them :ohwell: ... I will do better), but I am serious about getting the C&g method popping. So I was watching the Robin Woods braiding video, and she says she removed the alkaline base off her kanekalon and human hair. Does anyone else do this???? Is it necessary???? I am about to do my own braids for the first time and I was just curious. TIA to anyone who responds.

vivadiva85 said:
I have a question for those of you who braid their own hair. I currently have micros in now (but I didn't really take care of my hair in them :ohwell: ... I will do better), but I am serious about getting the C&g method popping. So I was watching the Robin Woods braiding video, and she says she removed the alkaline base off her kanekalon and human hair. Does anyone else do this???? Is it necessary???? I am about to do my own braids for the first time and I was just curious. TIA to anyone who responds.

I do it, it's an optional step. I find that if I don't remove the alkaline base, when I take out the braiding hair my natural hair is dry and coarse. I find that removing the base helps me retain more moisture. It only takes about 10 minutes to do, go get some apple cider vinegar from the grocery store, soak hair in water for 10 minutes and hang to dry overnight, spray it with some braid spray when its' dry. It makes a big difference for me.

Alli77 said:
I do it, it's an optional step. I find that if I don't remove the alkaline base, when I take out the braiding hair my natural hair is dry and coarse. I find that removing the base helps me retain more moisture. It only takes about 10 minutes to do, go get some apple cider vinegar from the grocery store, soak hair in water for 10 minutes and hang to dry overnight, spray it with some braid spray when its' dry. It makes a big difference for me.

Well alrighty then! Sounds like I got some removing to do! Thanks a bunch Alli!

I know it's late, but I want in on the C&G method. I am getting individual pencil sized braids tomorrow with synthetic hair.

im in cornros and im using them to grow out my hair and they are working out just fine for me, i use braid spray, scurl, laid off the infusium, etc.

Back