Braided Buddies

I'll join I just got cornrows done on sunday and I want to get them redone after two weeks.

joinin yall in the braids..i will be addin weave as well..keepin it braided until 5-06 also..i use the CG method as well..that works wonders for my hair!

I will definitely be joining this challege. I will be putting my hair in 2-strand twists with human hair in 2 weeks. I am going to take a picture of it prior to putting it up and track my progress from there. Good luck ladies!

Philosophy said:
CurliDiva - your braids are the bomb! In that 2nd pic they look just like flat ironed hair!!! Good Job :)

Thanks Philoosophy!

It only took 5 hours to complete. I am lovin the color! ;)

OK, I've been Surging since get my braids and today I noticed that I have scalp is dry and I have flakes! :( Is this normal with Surge 14?

I never had flakes before with just using my MTG and Scurl. I was trying to get extra strength since the Surge 14 bottle claim to strengthen hair while in extensions but this dryness is SCARY! :eek:

CurliDiva said:
OK, I've been Surging since get my braids and today I noticed that I have scalp is dry and I have flakes! :( Is this normal with Surge 14?

I never had flakes before with just using my MTG and Scurl. I was trying to get extra strength since the Surge 14 bottle claim to strengthen hair while in extensions but this dryness is SCARY! :eek:

Hey girl! SOrry to hear that your having problems with the surge 14. It's not for everyone, when I used it my skin started to peel off behind my ears, I tried diluting it but no luck, I also believe that DSD had the same issues with this stuff. I've been doing okay with MTG no issues like I had with surge.

Alli77 said:
Hey girl! SOrry to hear that your having problems with the surge 14. It's not for everyone, when I used it my skin started to peel off behind my ears, I tried diluting it but no luck, I also believe that DSD had the same issues with this stuff. I've been doing okay with MTG no issues like I had with surge.

Thanks Alli,

I guess I need to stick to what I know works- MTG and Scurl! ;)

Hello everyone,

I subscribed to the forum just today. (been lurking for months, though!) Seeing this thread made me go ahead and do it.

I would like to join you guys. I have been wearing braids since mid-November and was contemplating keeping them for a year anyway. I think this will be great motivation.

I'm in :D ! I'm getting braids sometime next week and wearing them until late April. I'll be getting 3 sets (leaving each in for 6 weeks). I'm using them to protect my hair from the hard water in the dorm at school:mad:.... I might go longer though because I LOVE the look of braids and haven't had them in a long time!

Alli77 said:
Welcome to the challenge and good luck! Do you guys have a regime?

I plan on using the Crown and Glory Method (MINUS the Braid Spray... i detest that stuff:perplexed )

I have finally joined also. I am following Den1's C&G method as well. I got my braids 12/18 and I will try to get 3-4 weeks out of them.

I don't like braid spray either--I will use a homemade conditioner concoction instead and I will be using Wave Nouveau (I know, old school--but my hair loves it) as a moisturizer also. Plus I have my oil mixuture of jojoba, olive, mtg & wgo oils for my scalp.

wicky2828 said:
My temples are extremely thin right now due to a person braiding my hair so tight that my scalp was so swollen that you could see that my pores in my scalp. Of course when I took out the braids so went my hair...

I was wondering which type of braids I should get so it doesn't stress the temple hairs so they can grow??? My hair is natural (3.5 inches) and I notice that my hair frizzes in braids now that I am totally natural.

I was thinking that box braids (check den1's album) would be good for your fragil areas. Check out www.growafrohairlong.com and there is a video showing how she does her braids and she explains why doing them a little larger is good for our hair's health while braided.

I would also be sure to deep condition b/f the braids and keep them moisturized well during--and be sure not to pull them into a tight ponytail etc..

Frizzes, I am natural too--and I found that after I add anything w/ water or anything very liquid to my braids, tying them down w/ a satin scarf really knocks that fizzies away.

I just re-did the front section of my twist extensions. I do so every 5 or 6 weeks so that I can wear my styles longer and avoid matting near my roots.

Alli77 said:
Welcome to the challenge and good luck! Do you guys have a regime?

I don't have a good regime yet. I wash once a week with diluted Nizoral and Kenra moisturizing. I use African Royal braid spray and a great sulphur mixture that I got from the hair recipe board that was really effective on my dandruff. (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=61413) I don't get the big corn flakes like I used to.:lol:

I am going to order a sample of MTG because of all af the good results I've read. Also, I'm looking into a good vitamin supplement that I can stick with. Thinking about VitaStrand by Mikal Clay. If anyone has heard about this one let me know.

christian01 said:
I don't have a good regime yet. I wash once a week with diluted Nizoral and Kenra moisturizing. I use African Royal braid spray and a great sulphur mixture that I got from the hair recipe board that was really effective on my dandruff. (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=61413) I don't get the big corn flakes like I used to.:lol:

I am going to order a sample of MTG because of all af the good results I've read. Also, I'm looking into a good vitamin supplement that I can stick with. Thinking about VitaStrand by Mikal Clay. If anyone has heard about this one let me know.

Actually the regime you have now seems pretty good. Keep it Simple and you'll get the most growth. I also wash my hair with diluted shampoo and conditioner once a week, put some MTG on my scalp and spray daily with my homemade braidspray and I'm good to go!;)

Ok, just call me FICKLE, but I don't think I can wear braids for an entire year! :ohwell:

I gotten great growth with my MTG and Scurl combination, but the idea of re-braiding every 6-8 weeks seems like too much. I tried to re-braid this long holiday weekend, and stopped after 5 braids. :perplexed I re-braided FIVE out of the 100 or so braids on my head!

These braids are one month old, and I'm ready to take them out! I don't want to chance any damage from having extensions dangling from an inch or more of new growth.

At $150 (plus the cost of the extension hair) per braiding session, I do not want to spend over $1,300 in 2006 for braids.

I think I will try to hold out for another month, and then switch to a sew-in weave which I can do myself with les effort. :(

I understand what you mean, that's why I'm alternating between braids and weaves to change up my styles.

CurliDiva said:
Ok, just call me FICKLE, but I don't think I can wear braids for an entire year! :ohwell:

I gotten great growth with my MTG and Scurl combination, but the idea of re-braiding every 6-8 weeks seems like too much. I tried to re-braid this long holiday weekend, and stopped after 5 braids. :perplexed I re-braided FIVE out of the 100 or so braids on my head!

These braids are one month old, and I'm ready to take them out! I don't want to chance any damage from having extensions dangling from an inch or more of new growth.

At $150 (plus the cost of the extension hair) per braiding session, I do not want to spend over $1,300 in 2006 for braids.

I think I will try to hold out for another month, and then switch to a sew-in weave which I can do myself with les effort. :(

How about a check in ladies. I'd like to know how everyone is doing.

Here's my update.

I took my kinky twists out this past weekend and cw'd my hair. I then put some big conrows in my hair(no extensions). I was too lazy to do any individuals.

I'll probably get the energy to put some individuals in this weekend after another deep conditioner.

hey Ladies I am on my Fouth week of the braids (tyzillions) I am trying to hold on for another 3-4 weeks if possibles I have been washing my hair like every 4 days b/c the water makes it feel good lol........I also picked up some J/A/S/O/N shampoo and conditioner so it makes my scalp feel tingly and GOOD! after I take these braids out I am going into a sew in. BE STRONG LADIES I don't think I am going to go the whole year I think I am stopping at May b/c I want to wear my own hair for the summer and be EXTRA CUTE!

CurliDiva said:
I have a girlfriend who says that she NEVER washed her braids for the entire time that she have them in -- 3 to 4 months! She just oiled her scalp weekly.

Does anybody else do this? If so, how.

I can't imaging not cleaning my scalp for long. :perplexed

I am sad to say that back in my hair neglect days that this used to be me (maybe washing 1 every 2 months). :( I didn't wash it because once I washed my braids would be a fuzzy mess. My scalp did not itch. But, I did have ALOT of build-up. Unfortunately, I think alot of people are told not to wash their hair while in braids. However, once you know how to wash the braids, you can minimize the fuzz factor.I got braids in on Dec. 20 2005 and I am washing my hair and scalp weekly (or once every 2 weeks). When I had braids in this summer in Jamaica , I was washing everyday and my braids did not get fuzzy.

I got human hair braids on christmas eve. I wash them once every 3 days. Then after I wash I use infusium 23 leave in. Then I apply mtg when I can stand the smell. Most times I use WGO. Makes braids soft then I let air dry. I think I will keep these braids until the end of Feb.

I took my braids out last weekend with very little tangles or shedding. The crown and glory system works- the braids were easy to remove and my hair was so soft and conditioned! :D

After shamppoing and deep conditioning, I did a full sew-in weave - whcih I plan to wash twice weekly and continue using my Scurl and MTG/Surge regularly.

CurliDiva said:
I took my braids out last weekend with very little tangles or shedding. The crown and glory system works- the braids were easy to remove and my hair was so soft and conditioned! :D

After shamppoing and deep conditioning, I did a full sew-in weave - whcih I plan to wash twice weekly and continue using my Scurl and MTG/Surge regularly.

Way to go curly! I have two more weeks on my braids and then I'll be weaving it up too!

caramelty said:
Zeal your hair is to short to get some braids?

Yes. I think it is. However, my Dad use to have a friend who said, if he could pick it up with tweezers, he could curl it.:lachen:

Yes, my hair is very short. Between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.

Question. How do you use MTG with box braids. I am so afraid that my braids will slide out. Even when my hair was longer, the braids would start sliding when I sweated.

Is there a way for the hair to be braided so that when it starts growing, some of the hair will not be pulled out of the scalp by the extension?

Last edited:
Back