Braid Challengers...READY, SET...LET'S BEGIN!!!

leejure

Braid Challengers...READY, SET...LET\'S BEGIN!!!

Good Morning Ladies! I hope and pray everyone had a great weekend and that you didn't get your braids done too tight! (Sorry Jen). At any rate, today was the proposed day for everyone to have their braids, weaves, cornrows, etc.

Watching Adrienne grow her hair from ear length to way past bra-strap and getting most of her growth by wearing braids, I thought that maybe we could use the regimen she followed. Now I understand that a lot of ladies like to use thier own products and I think that's fine. As long as we stay in line with the schedule (wash, conditions, etc) I think we all can experience the same results. So with that, I give you Adrienne's Braid Regimen and my additions (IN CAPS). Please feel free to comment. Our goal today is to have a solid working plan for all of us!

ADRIENNE'S REGIMEN...

· Wash hair once a week (or every other week) with diluted KeraCare Hydrating Detangling/Nizoral mix (to keep dandruff in check) DILUTED SHAMPOO OF YOUR CHOICE
NOTE: I was washing twice a week but had a problem with the braids unraveling
· Condition with diluted KeraCare Humecto Creme conditioner
CONDITIONER OF YOUR CHOICE
· After letting it air dry slightly, apply S-Curl No Drip or World of Curls activator (This step was KEY to my ends being healthy when I took the braids down. The brand of activator isn't as important as the application of it.)
SO YOU CAN US GLYCERIN AND WATER IF YOU LIKE. CHARLENE I THINK YOUR NATURAL LEAVE IN PRODUCTS WOULD BE FINE AS WELL.
· Last, oil scalp. I use a color applicator bottle from the beauty supply. My oil mix contains basically any oils that I have available. However, the one that I like best is Hot Six, monoi, avocado and jojoba oils, with a few drops of rosemary and lavender essential oils
In addition to the above, I oil my scalp at least once a day, sometimes twice. Also apply the activator and rub the oil mix on my braids every few days, or whenever they look dry.

I started doing hot oil treatments towards the end because I was worried about my hair being in the braids so long. AFTER THE FIRST MONTH...HOT OIL TREATMENT

DRINK 8 GLASS OF WATER A DAY

TRY TO EXCERISE AT LEAST TWICE A WEEK

TAKE AT THE LEAST A MULTIVITAMIN

Okay, what do y'all think?

-lee

ALSO, WE WILL HAVE WEEKLY DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE REGIMEN, PROBLEMS, ETC. SO TRY TO STAY CONSISTENT AT LEAST FOR THE FIRST WEEK BEFORE GIVING UP ON THE REGIMEN!

Re: Braid Challengers...READY, SET...LET\'S BEGIN!!!

Hey Lee!
wave.gif

The tightness is much better thanks to scalp massages and plenty of warm compresses. How did your braids turn out? Did you do them yourself? Are they the color and weight you wanted them? How long did it take?

My only challenge will be starting up an exercise regimen. I want to get an aerobics tape that will be fun and I won't be bored with after 3 times. Any suggestions? How are you guys getting your exercise in?

The vitamins and water consumption won't be a problem. I do that already.

I am in, I will be washing my hair every 5 days though because the once a week thing was not working for me. It is o.k for me though because I will be sportin a sew in with the braids underneath so no one sees if it gets a little messy. I have a question is there a length of time that we are supposed to be keeping our braids in for?

Fabulous!
I'm good to go!
My only challenge will be keeping them in for longer than 4-6 weeks.

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
Hey Lee!
wave.gif

The tightness is much better thanks to scalp massages and plenty of warm compresses. How did your braids turn out? Did you do them yourself? Are they the color and weight you wanted them? How long did it take?

My only challenge will be starting up an exercise regimen. I want to get an aerobics tape that will be fun and I won't be bored with after 3 times. Any suggestions? How are you guys getting your exercise in?

The vitamins and water consumption won't be a problem. I do that already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear that your braids are loosening.
smile.gif

My braids turned out better than I expected. I also bought the Tokyonolon(sp) with highlights. My braids a a tad bit smaller than pencil and I did not use a lot of hair. So, it is perfect. I did not make them thihgt at all. It took me 4 hours to do them (as oppose to the 13-15 hours it ook for other to do them, I would say that was great!)

Have you tried Tae Bo tapes? I got a gym membership for Mother's Day last year, so I plan to actually put it to use!
wink.gif

-lee

I have a weave with braids in the front and around the edges. I didn't want to leave my real hair out. But umm Can I join the challenge. Haha. DON'T DISCRIMINATE Its all braids when it comes down to it.

EDITTED: Spelling error.
Heheh. TIA

-Faye

[ QUOTE ]
TrustMeLove said:
I have a weave with braids in the front and around the edges. I didn't want to leave my real hair out. But umm Can I join the challenge. Haha. DON'T DISCRIMINATION Its all braids when it comes down to it.

Heheh. TIA

-Faye

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you can! Love to have you on board!

-lee

Re: Braid Challengers...READY, SET...LET\'S BEGIN!!

I have braids now, had them done January 12th. I'll be braiding up again March 1st. Can I join then? I have been moisturizing them with S-curl and wow! -- what a difference from last year when I knew nothing. I have sooo much new growth.

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
What kind of braids did you get BahamaMama?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did individuals with synthetic hair (kanekelon).

I ahve human hair...am I gonna be ok? I think so.

I'm sooo late but I want to join too! I just don't have my braids yet. I'm on the fence between getting braids or a sewn in weave but I plan to do something before the week is up.

ITA about the S-curl. I used African Pride braid spray every day when I had my last set of braids and my hair was still dry when I took them out.
frown.gif

I'm in! I just rebraided my hair last Monday, and I'm going to try to keep these in as long as possible. The only thing I can't do is oil my scalp, though. Better Braids braid spray has been working well & keeping the flakes away.

thanx for posting the challenge lee, i got my braids in on thursday and ready to go.

I think I am already in this challenge!! I have been in braids for about 6 weeks now, I will try to make them last a full 2 months if I can. But I am concerned about the part about oiling your scalp everyday. Is it really necessary? I read on the growafrohairlong website that you should only oil your scalp once a week, tops. Any more than that can cause buildup on your scalp and slow the growth down. I have stopped oiling my scalp altogether because since I started doing scalp massages, I noticed a slight film on my fingers from the day after I washed throughout the week, and I hadn't oiled my scalp at all. Even if you tend to have a dry scalp, I think oiling it once a week should be sufficient. I don't know, am I wrong here?
confused.gif

Hi Ladies
wave.gif

Cheers to a great start! Quick question. I just put TTTs in my hair (teeny tiny twists) with no extension hair. I did this on the 15th/16th. I would still like to participate in the challenge.

I will follow the regimen. Here are my products of choice;

Shampoo - CON or Aubrey's Island Spice or homemade shampoo (I'll share recipe if anyone is interested).

Conditioner - V05 Strawberries and Creme (love this stuff)

I'm going to try S-Curl (World of Curls was too sticky for me).

Oil - Hairobics Hair Oil or Detangler Oil (I might make my own once I run out of Hairobics oils).

Hot Oil Treatment: Mix of Neem (stinky stuff!!!), alma, monoi oils).

Multivitamin: I will use Elements for Hair until I run out.

Tao Bo (ugh - I was doing really well with this and then fell off the wagon
tongue.gif
)
I'll alternate with just walking on my treadmill.

Water - ummmm - gotta flavor this stuff so I will put slices of lime in my and choke it down (the water , not the lime
lick.gif
laugh.gif
)

Hair measure: I'll do that tonight.

cheers.gif

I'm in although I have already had my braids in for 6 weeks. I have actually been using this regime, but without the hot oil treatments. I will incorporate those in now.

ANyone else doing the challenge with human hair braids?

girl it started yesterday so you aint miss nothing!!! the more the merrier
smile.gif

I'm already on the challenge so to speak, since Jan. 6th. I'll still do this though.

How long will this challenge last?

This is actually my first post on this forum. I would Love to do a braid challenge! It will be a week before I will have my braids, is that ok? I was wondering how long in and out of the braids? Something like 2months in and 2 weeks out? and how long before everyone shows their results?

Sascha

Tonya,

You should be just fine with the human hair extensions. I used to get them all the time.

Your braids are beautiful BTW. I might get some in a few months (maybe April). So if we continue this challenge, I'll be right there with ya.
smile.gif

How many of you braided your hair yourselves? I've been sporting crochet braids that I did myself for the past couple of months, but I can't wash them often since the cornrows come undone, and I can't moisturize either since most of the hair is covered...I've tried doing a couple of strands of individual braids, but the hair always slips down - how do you deal with this? How long did it take you to braid your hair? What was the best type of hair extension to use?
Any advice/pictures/etc? Thanks ladies!

Yup- I used synthetic and it took me 9 hours to do it! (This is the first time I've done it myself).

I wrap it around my hair at the base/root with the extension becoming two parts and my own the third, and proceed to plait. But halfway before my own hair runs out, I split it into three and incorporate the extensions so that each section has synthetic and my own hair.

Hope that makes sense!
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BahamaMama said:
I wrap it around my hair at the base/root with the extension becoming two parts and my own the third, and proceed to plait. But halfway before my own hair runs out, I split it into three and incorporate the extensions so that each section has synthetic and my own hair.

Hope that makes sense!
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do, except I used the wavy-type synthetic hair this time, which is already separated. When I braided the hair, it started off with four strands. I'd leave one wavy strand loose at the top, and do a regular braid all the way down with the remaining three (leaving the ends loose). It took 6 hours to finish. Two hours carefully parting & 2-strand twisting my hair, then 4 hours adding the extensions to the twists.

Back