Braid Challengers...READY, SET...LET'S BEGIN!!!

Re: Braid Challengers...READY, SET...LET\'S BEGIN!!!

I was wondering if anyone in this challenge had a sewed in weave, and if so. How often do you wash, because everytime I wash my hair with a weave my braid get really loose. How is your hair braided? Is it braided straight back or around in a circle? And how do you moisturize? Do you just apply S-Curl to the parts that aren't covered. Sorry for all the questions
confused.gif

thanks for the replies...

bahamamama: this is how i did it when i practiced, but myabe i didnt wrap it around tight enough or something...i'll try again when i take these interlocks down

ipanema: that sounds quite interesting...i tried to look at your pics but i think fotki is down - i'll try again tomorrow.

ooooh...i love the braids ipanema! what was the name of the synthetic hair you used? do your braids slip out when you wash them?

i think i ask too many questions
shocked.gif

I'm in. I braided my hair on Sunday. My only question being, how much growth are we hoping to achieve or how much should we be achieving in this challenge?

Good luck to all and I am so glad to have found this forum.

I would have loved to be part of this challenge, but since I've had my hair in braids since last July, I don't think it would be fair to join. However, I just wanted to wish all you ladies luck. I don't know if this is some of your first time having braids, but if so, let me give you a few "heads up" with wearing them:

One thing I had to watch for, after having my braids for a few months, was my edges thinning. You may want to get some "temple cream" or something to make sure they are not undergoing too much stress. I also make sure to spray Surge on them. I've even mixed a little of my Surge into my ProV temple cream to make sure they don't thin. Also, when you or someone else braids your hair, make sure they don't pull the hair around your edges too much. These braids may have to be a tad bit looser than the others, because you don't want the hair to come out. I have found that by using a conditioning/moisturizing gel when braiding those braids, you can still get the neat look without the stress and tension to the area.

Also, at night, to avoid added stress to the braided hair, I tend to put it up in a bun (and I have beads on mine and it works) so that they braids don't catch under you while you toss and turn in bed. Each time they catch, you could be breaking strands (FYI). You also want to not forget to moisturize the hair that is in the extended part of your braids. Many people neglect this hair and give all their focuse to the hair next to their scalp. You want all of your hair to be in great shape when you decide to finally take your braids out. So, don't neglect this hair. One thing I have found to be helpful when taking my braids out. I wash my hair right before I'm going to take them out (this removes anything that might be built up) and while the braids are still slightly damp (natural hair isn't gripping), I take the hair out. DON'T USE HOT OR TOO WARM WATER!!!!!! I find that my braids come straight out and then when I go to condition, this lessens the time because it's already clean.

When the braids are out, this is an excellent time to really pamper your hair. I do a really deep, sit under the dryer, conditioning. I take my time and add coconut oil to my scalp, and I gently massage my entire head. I use a spray bottle with nothing but distilled water in it to slightly dampen my sections as I comb them (for some people damp hair is harder to deal with..do what works for you).

Lastly, enjoy the free time will now have since you don't have to get up in the mornings and wash, condition, dry, and style your hair. Alls I do in the mornings now is spray the braids for sheen, put my cream around my edges, tie my hair up while I dress (so it won't frizz) then dress, and take the rag off my head and go
smile.gif
You are going to love it!

Good luck ladies!

[ QUOTE ]
kytrona said:
ooooh...i love the braids ipanema! what was the name of the synthetic hair you used? do your braids slip out when you wash them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used that kanekalon hair with Beverly Johnson's face on the package. Also, the braids don't slip out when I wash because I wrapped the hair twice at the base (which Armyqt suggested a while back). I've even washed the hair under the shower, and none slipped out.

Thanks for the awesome tips, Cybra!

Question for self-braiders using synthetic hair:

Do you have problems with tangling with the synthetic hair? How do you overcome that problem?

Hi MissDiva
I am going to have a sew in and I usually wash once a week and then I tighten them up. My hair is braided from ear to ear though. And I use the s-curl in between the braids. I hope I helped, But remember try not to comb to hard because I used to make that mistake and didn't know it was pulling my hair out. So be VERY gentle and try to pin it up as much as you can, The less stress the better.

Well, as you all know, I did my braids myself. Now I am starting to worry that they ae too loose! I like the loose look, but I don't think they are going to last the entire two months, sooooooo... I am going to get them done (professionally) in a couple of weeks. I think I can give my loose braids (the ones that are in now) a couple more weeks until they start slipping out.

Just wanted you all to know!
-lee

Waaaa!!!!
cry3.gif
My braids aren't back in yet... Lawd knows I need 'em... my 5 months of new growth are out of control!!!!!
whip.gif

Hello Ladies,

I'm going to join you in this braid challenge! My first set of braids this year were on January 25th and I took them out February 13th. I got my hair rebraided on February 14th which will be 2 weeks on Saturday. I didn't do them myself, although I can braid my own hair, a sister just don't have the time for all that no more. I had the girl start my cornrows with my own hair and then add hair to it, I have pony hair in my hair. I've gotten so many compliments. I plan to take them out on March 12th which will be a day short of a month. I will post pics soon of my braids so look for that.

I wash once a week and oil my scalp with WGO everyday. I wash my hair with Nizoral also, THAT IS DEFINITELY A GOD SENT! NO ITCHING AND NO FLAKES!

I came across 3 sample packages of Nizoral...and seeing as I am itchy head girl..I will try it out this morning...

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
[ QUOTE ]
kytrona said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I used that kanekalon hair with Beverly Johnson's face on the package. Also, the braids don't slip out when I wash because I wrapped the hair twice at the base (which Armyqt suggested a while back). I've even washed the hair under the shower, and none slipped out.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks for the info...
smile.gif

Shucks I'm late jumping on the band wagon but want to join. I don't know anyone to do braids for me yet, so I'll do the routine with cornrows, the bun, etc. until I can do something differently.

I could also do my own braids if someone will be so kind as to give me a few pointers and tell me what type of hair to buy.

Toodles
Leigh

I'm late joining, but I got me a weave today and I'm ready to go!

Great info Tricia thanks!

Week one update:

I washed my cornrows last night and today they're actually less frizzy than they were yesterday. Yeah!

BTW, is this growth I see already or slippage?

Great info Tricia thanks!

Week one update:

I washed my cornrows last night and today they're actually less frizzy than they were yesterday. Yeah!

BTW, is this growth I see already or slippage?

I washed my humna hair braids and they look frizzy now....any suggestions on how i cna fix them? Rub mousse and gel maybe? Flat iron ends?

Thanks JenJen.

I washed on Monday with the Nizoral..My scalp is already itchy...guess I better try oiling it. Is it okay to use evoo for oiling the scalp?

These are the pics of the braids I got Fri. 28th. The password is "isitgrowing" OK? Oh and it is the Braid Album.

They look nice, Lisa! And also like they'll be a breeze to take down!
smile.gif

Unfortunately, I'm ready to take mine out already.
frown.gif

I get bored with them quickly too. but i think its the major cause of growth for me.

Guys, I had to take out my braids yesterday. I didn't really like the style on me and plus they weren't looking very neat anymore. I'm going to attempt to do my own in about a month or so...I'll jump back on the braiding bandwagon then. Good luck to the rest of you...hopefully, I'll join in again soon!
wave.gif

I find that cornrows tend to start to look a little raggedy much faster than box braids.

Back