Black women confront Chris Rock on Oprah Today

laurend

So far, a couple of AA confront Chris rock about his movie. One lady was upset that the movie makes people assume all AA have weaves. Chris is making good points also, so watch today.

One lady was upset that the movie makes people assume all AA have weaves. Chris is making good points also, so watch today.

I consider myself to be a very reason/logic-based person and I, too, was concerned that MANY of his statements implied that most (if not all) African-American women wore weaves.

I'm happy he'll be "confronted" about this, though I don't expect much progress, unfortunately. I'm not expecting him to apologize for the wrongful implications, nor do I expect him to even admit to them.

A little OT but I just loved how Oprah took him to task when he went out on stage and immediately "accused" Oprah of not wearing her own hair (not once, but twice). She put her finger up in the air, and let him know it was all hers. It annoys me when people immediately assume that our hair must not be real if it looks healthy or if it's long...

But thank you for giving us the head up... :yep:

Things must be really different where I live, because just about every AA woman I see DOES have a weave- at work, church, grocery store, etc. It's not offensive to me, since its what I see too.

One last thing...I've seen countless online forums in which Caucasian and East Asian girls are discussing weaves and posting pictures of their wigs, pieces, and tracks. And Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, and most White celebrities have been wearing false hair for DECADES. So has the general population. They just don't come out about it, the way many of us do. (Kim Zolciak, anyone?...) And most of us just ASSUME that it must be their hair...

But they speak to White folks about fake hair as if it's some great, unknown mystery to them. That's one of the things that annoyed me about watching Oprah with Chris Rock...

Things must be really different where I live, because just about every AA woman I see DOES have a weave- at work, church, grocery store, etc. It's not offensive to me, since its what I see too.

I actually wondered about this...if people were actually just speaking about the women where they've lived... I'm from NY originally and many of the women in NY have considerable hair. And even the hairstyles/techniques of choice vary according to where the woman is from or her culture. So these blanket statements that Chris Rock makes about Black women, for me, are offensive...they don't mirror what I've seen living in New York City. We have hundreds of Dominican salons and they are filled to the brim with sisters with long hair.

My hair length is unimpressive in NY, but when I went to visit my sister in Texas (San Antonio), everyone assumed my hair was a weave. (??)

The women there suffered for lack of quality haircare products and salons, and it showed in their hair. However, the average NY'r would be less than impressed with the amount of hair I have on my head. They've seen more...

I hope they slam him.

They didn't go hard on him in my opinion. The ladies were commenting on him giving out our hair secrets rather than him putting the perception out there that every black woman has a weave or relaxer. (You see a lot of real and natural hair in Chicago)

He and Oprah both said you have to see the movie because it is not all negative or degrading to black women.

I actually wondered about this...if people were actually just speaking about the women where they've lived... I'm from NY originally and many of the women in NY have considerable hair. And even the hairstyles/techniques of choice vary according to where the woman is from or her culture. So these blanket statements that Chris Rock makes about Black women, for me, are offensive...they don't mirror what I've seen living in New York City. We have hundreds of Dominican salons and they are filled to the brim with sisters with long hair.

My hair length is unimpressive in NY, but when I went to visit my sister in Texas (San Antonio), everyone assumed my hair was a weave. (??)

The women there suffered for lack of quality haircare products and salons, and it showed in their hair. However, the average NY'r would be less than impressed with the amount of hair I have on my head. They've seen more...

So true, I'm from Queens and I see lovely heads of hair everyday. The only time I can tell a weave is because it obviously looks fake.

I've never worn weave, no one in my family wears weave. Some of my friends do, but it's not the majority of people I know.

We don't suffer from a lack of quality products and salons. Some people are just lazy about hair care.

San Antonio, TX does not have much in the way of haircare salons for Black women...nor hair products. However, my only point of comparison is New York City... I assume it's attributed to the Black population in San Antonio being relatively small. (I believe it's only at 6 percent.)

The ladies were commenting on him giving out our hair secrets rather than him putting the perception out there that every black woman has a weave or relaxer.

I love how they spin this to make this look like it's "our" issue or "our" secret. As if no one else in any other population group frequents hair weaves/wigs.

I find the entire thing strange. I won't be watching this film, at all. As soon as he made that idiotic statement (on Oprah) about how Black men don't care about our hair, I immediately realized I need to tune this dude out. Idiocy.

I live in Memphis, Tn, full of black people, and around 90% of the healthy, full, below shoulder length hair I see is a weave, wig, or lacefront. And usually, not all that good of a weave/wig/lacefront because I can tell it's fake - and I'm not a ubertalented weave spotter, either.

*shrug* NYC/the North is usually ahead of the times, fashion wise though, than the South is - I still see Jherri Curls on the regular, too!! :lol: So, it's no surprise to me, that depending on where you live, the types of hair and styles are different.

I believe his movie is 10 years to late...more and more AA women are wearing their natural/relaxed hair these days... I from cali...I do not know anyone who wear weaves (personally)... I did... for a short period when I was training for a marathon...(once)

San Antonio, TX does not have much in the way of haircare salons for Black women...nor hair products. However, my only point of comparison is New York City... I assume it's attributed to the Black population in San Antonio being relatively small. (I believe it's only at 6 percent.)

I agree with your original comment. It's not easy to get "quality" hair care where I live. Most of the stylist that are popular are popular because they do good weaves, or they are good that the styles that are popular here ( tacky quick weaves with the tracks showing around the edges come to mind) There are only a handful of women I see with hair that looks so good I would ask them for their stylist info.

Dang, man.

What am I gonna eat while I watch this!? I miss everything, but I'm gonna be home today!

I still think if you grow up in the ghetto, then go into the entertainment industry, the vast majority of black women you'll be exposed to will have weaves :look: so he might not know any better. I want to see the movie for myself. If we do have any dark secrets, it's not weaves, but how much we go through to conceal our natural texture... :look:

Last edited:
well i just moved from Detroit and women walking around with out at least one track is not the nor even if they have a super short cut best believe they got at least one track glued up in there. Moving the Sc i was so impressed with the amount of hair natural and relaxed that is actually full and healthy!

One last thing...I've seen countless online forums in which Caucasian and East Asian girls are discussing weaves and posting pictures of their wigs, pieces, and tracks. And Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, and most White celebrities have been wearing false hair for DECADES. So has the general population. They just don't come out about it, the way many of us do. (Kim Zolciak, anyone?...) And most of us just ASSUME that it must be their hair...

But they speak to White folks about fake hair as if it's some great, unknown mystery to them. That's one of the things that annoyed me about watching Oprah with Chris Rock...

I think most assume it's their real hair because it has the same texture as their natural hair. Think about it. Sometimes I see a black woman wear a 3C/4a/4b weave where I assumed was her natural hair. But if a non-black woman did that, people would probably assume it was a wig.

See and that is just why I don't get my panties all tangled up in this real or fake mess. Not every place, person, neighborhood, traditions are the same-Even just amongst blacks. I will definitely wear a weave for protection to my hair but that's because I'm protecting my REAL hair that I love so much...but another girl may get it to "look like somebody". I know it gets annoying ladies but we can barely get the world to agree on healthcare issues, something EVERY human deserves and we expect for folks to get the light bulb on hair politics like that ?? It's a reality that even we who know AA hair grows must face. For as long as generations are born unto ignorant role models of parents we can expect this argument to go on forever. I won't lie sometimes it frustrates me to have to tell a group of people that don't know about AA hair the truth and sometimes I am the first one to introduce myself just to gladly answer any questions...I think his quirky lil movie should shed some light on black women. At least if the movie doesn't answer all thaier questions it can prove great to do what I actually pray it does MOST, make black women (and all other women) everywhere say "Hey! You know what? I never put much thought into having a REAL understanding of my hair. I'm gonna go do that right now!" That is what I hope to hear...because then LHCF will see a flux in interest that we will have to log in constantly to help these sistas out. Now doesn't THAT sound like the kind of change we want? Don't get me wrong there are gonna be trolls but the IGNORE button is just a click away. :grin: I love you ladies. Ya'll are smart and helpful and inspiring and no matter if the Earth floods over we would build an ark together--just for our products...:lachen::lachen:

I think most assume it's their real hair because it has the same texture as their natural hair. Think about it. Sometimes I see a black woman wear a 3C/4a/4b weave where I assumed was her natural hair. But if a non-black woman did that, people would probably assume it was a wig.

I think this is an excellent point.

If black women were wearing weaves that mimicked their actual texture (and I don't just mean natural. Relaxed black hair still has some texture), I don't think we'd be having the same discussion.

[Big generalization] Most White women wear weaves as an extension of their natural hair. Most Black women wear weaves to cover up and disguise their natural hair.

Silky straight Yaki doesn't mimic black women's hair. It just doesn't. :lachen:

I don't know WHY white folks act all brand new when it comes to this they wear weaves exentions and fake hair prolly MORE than Black folks

http://www.ivari.com

And sometimes pay a hell of a lot more than some BW ever will to have long think locks

Oh please

I don't know WHY white folks act all brand new when it comes to this they wear weaves exentions and fake hair prolly MORE than Black folks

http://www.ivari.com

And sometimes pay a hell of a lot more than some BW ever will to have long think locks

Oh please
I know a lot of white women wear weaves, but I highly doubt that they are wearing weaves at an higher rate than black women.

Hey AfriPrincess :) You raise an interesting point, but if this is the case, why do they not assume our short or mid-length hair (when permed/straightened, for example) is a weave? Ultimately, there is an underlying assumption that Black women can't have long hair...

Even on the forums, I've seen many people attribute "long hair" to somehow being "White" (huh?). However, I'm in Europe and I very rarely ever see women walking around with long tresses. Even my hair (which I consider to be fairly short for NY standards) is much longer than the women I see out and about or when I'm traveling in Europe. And in NY, the women that I typically saw with long hair that was their own (that is, those women who weren't AA) were often Mexican or PR. I'm getting a bit off topic, though...

Also, so many of us have assumed or claimed that folks like Jill Scott, Badu, or even Lauryn Hill are wearing weaves/wigs (whether or not they actually are and whether or not it was eventually proved or disproved).

I think that when it comes down to it, the thing that seems to make everyone suspicious is length and thickness, regardless of texture.

I have a problem with C. Rock clowning Black women based on stereotypes (even if the stereotype holds true for certain regions of the US). We've got to demand better for ourselves as Black women...

Last edited:
Back