Black Hair Styles & Trend Article on Dom. Blowouts

Selene

Since I posted an article on hair color earlier, I thought I'd share this article with the girls, since I already had it typed up to send to a friend who can't get the BH&T magazine. Enjoy!

By Tawny Millard---

You might think us bold to write on such a risqué and controversial subject, but considering that there are so many unhappy, tressed-out women out there; we figured we owed it to you to share some proven secrets to getting a good blow job.

Blow drying your hair is actually more risky than it is risqué, which makes it controversial as well. You can talk to 10 different women and get 10 different takes on this very popular technique for styling your hair. I, for one, am a huge fan of blow drying because it is quicker than just sitting under the hooded dryer with a head full of rollers for 45 minutes to an hour trying to pre-tend that my neck and ears aren’t burning up like a slave in a cotton field. However, it is the best way to get your hair dry, bouncing, and behaving---or is it?

An interesting method has been cruising over our heat styling scene and its popularity is steadily increasing. Contact blow drying (a term I coined for this article) is usually performed at Dominican hair salons and has traditionally been performed at many if not all salons that cater to a Caucasian clientele. For those of you reading this who aren’t familiar with the Dominican salon experience I will clue you in. The process is similar to an assembly line where on person washes, another roller sets, then sits you under a dryer and finally blows you out. According to Britannica Stewart, owner of Britannica Hair Studio in New York City, contact blow-drying is when the stylist sections your hair and blow-dries it using a round brush. The process starts from the root and continues down the hair shaft. The hair dryer (usually 1500 watts) is held about 3-6 inches from the scalp and hair depending on the thickness of the hair. Pulling the brush and dryer down the hair shaft successfully makes it silky straight and gives it immeasurable body and shine.

Naturally, that much heat directly on the hair is tragically damaging. So to combat major breakage and tear soaked pillows, make sure your stylist is doing three significant things: 1.) Rollerset your hair with leave in conditioner like Paul Mitchell’s Heat Seal or Santique’s Leave in Protector and sit under a hooded dryer for 45 minutes to an hour before blow-drying. 2.) Use a round brush properly sized for your length of hair. Shorter hair needs a brush smaller in diameter and longer hair needs a larger diameter brush. Kevin Johnson of Britannica Hair Studio likes boar hairbrushes and vent brushes (those with small balls on the end of the bristles) to condition the hair and massage the scalp. 3.) Deep condition your hair regularly with protein and moisture enriched conditioners. Protein conditioners make the hair strong but are not particularly moisturizing and our hair craves moisture. Therefore, you should always follow-up a protein conditioner with a moisture rich conditioner like Profectiv’s Growth Masque or Hair Mayonaise or Hydrafuer both by Mizani. Protein conditioners are best to use right after a relaxer, but not necessary on a weekly basis where a moisture rich conditioner may be more welcomed by your hair.

Now some of you are do-it-yourself hair wizards and give good blow-jobs at home. However, keep in mind that this isn’t something you should do to your hair too often. Moreover, you should use as little heat as possible when styling your hair on a daily basis. A 1200-watt dryer is better for home use. If you simply follow the same steps that your stylist performs, you will be the envy of the neighborhood.

I've actually gone back to blowdrying.
smile.gif
I just wave the heat over my head (I use the low-setting and it is very mild), rather than pulling a brush through as I go. The results are just about the same as if I'd airdry, but my hair looks thicker.
smile.gif

Re: Black Hair Styles & Trend Article on Dom. Blow

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I've actually gone back to blowdrying.
smile.gif
I just wave the heat over my head (I use the low-setting and it is very mild), rather than pulling a brush through as I go. The results are just about the same as if I'd airdry, but my hair looks thicker.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO
That's how I style the ringlets down style, but I quit once the hair is damp. It airdries the rest of the way.

I hate the round brush. My hair must be tangle free and completely dry when my stylist does the blowout, else breakage.

Does any one use the soft bonnet that attaches to a hairdryer?, Does it work for a rollersetting?

[ QUOTE ]
kiki said:
Does any one use the soft bonnet that attaches to a hairdryer?, Does it work for a rollersetting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to use one for deep conditioning...never used it for rollersetting, but I would imagine it would take forever to dry.

Back