Being natural - exploring the definition!

divya

How do you define being natural?

Sometimes I wonder about the whole natural idea, especially in discussions where people are stating what is or is natural. Ex. texturizing, relaxing etc. So here are some questions that I'm throwing out...

Are you natural when your hair is straightenedl - whether with chemicals or not - if your hair is not "naturally straight"?

Are you natural when you have hair with no chemicals but yet you are wearing weave/wig (hair that is not yours)?

Are you natural if your color your hair?

Or are you natural if the hair on your head is yours regardless of whether it is relaxed or colored etc?

Let's share!

(sorry if this had been done in any way, shape or form before)

Last edited:
To Me, being natural means the hair has not been chemically altered with relaxers, texturizers, etc. Color is debateable because it is a chemical but it doesn't chemically straighten the hair, so I'd say the person is still natural with color.

When a person straighten their hair with a pressing comb or a flat iron, it is temporary and the hair has not been chemically altered in any way, so they are still natural. JMO...

Are you natural when your hair is straightenedl - whether with chemicals or not - if your hair is not "naturally straight"?
Yes.

Are you natural when you have hair with no chemicals but yet you are wearing weave/wig (hair that is not yours)?
Yes, if you hair is not chemically straightened. You may not wear your hair in natural styles, but your hair is natural.

Yes, because your hair is not intentionally straightened (although your hair can be altered because of the chemical color)

Or are you natural if the hair on your head is yours regardless of whether it is relaxed or colored etc?
No. I was relaxed for 20 years and I never said I was natural

BrownSkin2 said:
To Me, being natural means the hair has not been chemically altered with relaxers, texturizers, etc. Color is debateable because it is a chemical but it doesn't chemically straighten the hair, so I'd say the person is still natural with color.

When a person straighten their hair with a pressing comb or a flat iron, it is temporary and the hair has not been chemically altered in any way, so they are still natural. JMO...

So the issue is straight vs. not straight only? Why is that?

Cheleigh said:
Yes.

Yes, if you hair is not chemically straightened. You may not wear your hair in natural styles, but your hair is natural.

Yes, because your hair is not intentionally straightened (although your hair can be altered because of the chemical color)

No. I was relaxed for 20 years and I never said I was natural

Interesting. If a person isn't born with a certain hair color, how can that is be natural? Is natural not something that is by definition something a person is born with as opposed to something "adopted"?

So if you are wearing a weave/wig that is chemically straightened, how does that work? Also, isn't a weave/wig is worn in place of ones natural hair so how is it natural?

BrownSkin2 said:

I agree with this.

Wen I flat iron my hair I'm still natural, as soon as I wash it my hair will go back to it's natural curls.

I think natural just refers to whether it has been chemically altered. If you flat iron it , it can still curl back up where as if you relax it, it wont curl back to its orignal state.

I believe natural hair is hair that is free from ALL permanent chemicals. When I say hair, I mean the chemical composition of it.

If you press it, IMO you are still natural. You didn't change the chemical composition of it.

If you texturize it, you are NOT natural . I use the sex analogy when it comes to tex'laxing/perming-No matter if you leave it in for 1 minute or 30, you still have done it.

So please don't go on a natural tangeant against all "permies," yet you have your hair permantly dyed blonde.:lol: You are NOT natural anymore. You are just as chemically altered as any "permie."

Currygal,

Brownie bumped my answers in a similar thread. What is your definition to the questions posed?

BrownSkin2 said:

So natural is only hair that is curly? What about people who are don't have any curl pattern, theya ren't natural? A white woman with 1a hair who has never touched a chemical is not natural?

LocksOfLuV said:
I believe natural hair is hair that is free from ALL permanent chemicals. When I say hair, I mean the chemical composition of it.

If you press it, IMO you are still natural. You didn't change the chemical composition of it.

If you texturize it, you are NOT natural . I use the sex analogy when it comes to tex'laxing/perming-No matter if you leave it in for 1 minute or 30, you still have done it.

So please don't go on a natural tangeant against all "permies," yet you have your hair permantly dyed blonde.:lol: You are NOT natural anymore. You are just as chemically altered as any "permie."

Locks, you're funny. :lol: But I agree.
But you know there will be someone who believes you are not natural if you use anything containing chemicals (like conditioner, shampoo, gel, mousse and scunci) so there are no winners in this never ending debate.

I am still on the fence on the hair color thing. Because the intent is to change the color not the texture. The texture is what has generally been the source of scorn and ridicule.

dynamic1 said:
Locks, you're funny. :lol: But I agree.
But you know there will be someone who believes you are not natural if you use anything containing chemicals (like conditioner, shampoo, gel, mousse and scunci) so there are no winners in this never ending debate.

I am still on the fence on the hair color thing. Because the intent is to change the color not the texture. The texture is what has generally been the source of scorn and ridicule.

yeah I seen that argument too. and honestly (no judgement about the person) but that is a stupid argument imo. natural hair is naturally dry so what the heck are you supposed to do to it?!:ohwell: nothing.:confused:

Are you natural when your hair is straightenedl - whether with chemicals or not - if your hair is not "naturally straight"? If you perm your hair you're not natural. If flat iron/press your natural hair then you're still natural.

Are you natural when you have hair with no chemicals but yet you are wearing weave/wig (hair that is not yours)? Yes

Are you natural if your color your hair? Nope, with maybe the exception of henna, but that's still iffy

I'm not hung up on whether people call themselves natural or not. It's not like I'm part of some exclusive club that I don't want other people to claim. I just wonder about the 'politics of status' attached to being natural. I question why someone who texturizes their hair to a looser curl pattern would claim natural? I also wonder why a black woman with a platinum blond TWA would get in a tizzy if someone labels the process that it took to reach that color as 'unnatural'?

Either you are natural or you're not, and there is no shame in not being natural, unless you make it so.

Natural is having no chemically altered hair. No relaxers, perms, color...anything! lol What you were born with is what's natural. That it! And unless your were born with developer in your hair...then dyed hair is not natural either.

I dont know why some dont include color in this?!

To say someone has a natural TEXTURE is one thing....but regardless of a person's texture...if someone came up to me and claimed that they had all natural hair meanwhile they had blonde streaks throughout i'd laugh in their face!

LocksOfLuV said:

I'm soooooooooooooo done with you right now! :lol:

Henna?- so i'm not natural no more?? i should change my siggy!Heheeee
i don't understand why someone with a texturiser would claim to be natural- its not as if its unusual in the black community to use chemicals on our hair its the norm.

BTW - I'm about to not be natural in a minute. I got fiddy leven gray hairs that I'm about to let the colorists at the Aveda Institute take care of.

Nothing too exciting, I'm just going to have them do my whole head 1b and maybe a couple highlights.

currygyal said:
Interesting. If a person isn't born with a certain hair color, how can that is be natural? Is natural not something that is by definition something a person is born with as opposed to something "adopted"?

So if you are wearing a weave/wig that is chemically straightened, how does that work? Also, isn't a weave/wig is worn in place of ones natural hair so how is it natural?

Because my definition of natural hair is pretty broadly defined and only revolves around whether the texture of someone's hair has been intentionally altered chemically. As such, color on top of natural hair is still natural to me. A straight wig on top of natural hair is still natural to me. Other people's definition of natural might be different, hence why someone else might think that a person with natural texture dyed blonde is not natural.

Yes

Yes
Yes

Yes and No.

Its all about the context of the conversation. When someone ask me, "Is that all your hair?" I tell them yes. If someone ask, "How do you get your hair to curl like that?" I tell them I relax it slightly (because my hair is not that texture naturally), unless I don't feel like trying to explain it to a stranger. I've never heard of someone asking a black person if their hair was naturally straight, well they haven't asked me. If someone compliments my hair color and ask is your hair natural I'll assume they mean the color and tell them it's not my natural color.

Cheleigh said:
Because my definition of natural hair is pretty broadly defined and only revolves around whether the texture of someone's hair has been intentionally altered chemically. As such, color on top of natural hair is still natural to me. A straight wig on top of natural hair is still natural to me. Other people's definition of natural might be different, hence why someone else might think that a person with natural texture dyed blonde is not natural.

AHHHHH so you say only texture. I see what you are saying.

Cheleigh said:

Just a question...
Do you feel that dyed blonde hair is natural? chemically speaking i mean..

Its true that if you dye your hair darker the color is just overlapping the natural hair. However lightening hair to a shade of blonde or lighter brown or red requires the natural color to be STRIPPED OUT of the person's hair. Lighters colors dont lay on top of natural hair. In other words....the more blonde a person wants to be....the more their own color has to be chemically removed.

nubianqt86 said:
Yes

Yes
Yes

Yes and No.

Its all about the context of the conversation. When someone ask me, "Is that all your hair?" I tell them yes. If someone ask, "How do you get your hair to curl like that?" I tell them I relax it slightly (because my hair is not that texture naturally), unless I don't feel like trying to explain it to a stranger. I've never heard of someone asking a black person if their hair was naturally straight, well they haven't asked me. If someone compliments my hair color and ask is your hair natural I'll assume they mean the color and tell them it's not my natural color.

This is true! I guess it just depends on what about your hair the person is referring too.

I think this is an interesting discussion. You might get different explanations depending on who you ask. To me, natural hair is hair that does not have chemicals in it. No relaxer/texturizer/texlax, etc. I know some people say if you have color in your hair, you're no longer natural. I mean it makes sense since it is a chemical but if it's not changing your texture I don't see why it makes you not natural anymore.

Also some people feel like people with natural hair who press are the time aren't really natural. I don't agree with that either.

If a person uses a relaxer then, no. If a person uses a flat iron then, yes.

Yes. Your hair is still natural. What the wig is is another story.

Some would say no, which makes me not natural since I use henna. :confused:

I have to think about this for a lil bit.

No. If you have a relaxer, your hair is not natural. If you don't have one, your hair is not relaxed. It's just like that. One is not better than the other, IMO. Everyone has to find what's right for their hair and lifestyle. That's how I see it anyway.

Cichelle said:
If a person uses a relaxer then, no. If a person uses a flat iron then, yes.

Yes. Your hair is still natural. What the wig is is another story.

Some would say no, which makes me not natural since I use henna. :confused:

I have to think about this for a lil bit.

No. If you have a relaxer, your hair is not natural. If you don't have one, your hair is not relaxed. It's just like that. One is not better than the other, IMO. Everyone has to find what's right for their hair and lifestyle. That's how I see it anyway.

i dont know about henna....i think its still natural.......isnt it?!

i dunno...but i like your hair! :lol:

dynamic1 said:
Currygal,

Brownie bumped my answers in a similar thread. What is your definition to the questions posed?

I'm about to go there now.

I guess my answer would be no chemicals (relaxer or color), no weave/wig (including fake hair in braids). Not sure if hair with no chemical or other hair that is worn straight all the time is really natural in a way. But yea, just something that passed through my mind today...

bmoreflyygirl said:
I think this is an interesting discussion. You might get different explanations depending on who you ask. To me, natural hair is hair that does not have chemicals in it. No relaxer/texturizer/texlax, etc. I know some people say if you have color in your hair, you're no longer natural. I mean it makes sense since it is a chemical but if it's not changing your texture I don't see why it makes you not natural anymore.

Also some people feel like people with natural hair who press are the time aren't really natural. I don't agree with that either.

Maybe it's just me but color changed the texture of my hair a bit...and it was a rinse. I refuse to color again.

Last edited:
LilMorenita said:
i dont know about henna....i think its still natural.......isnt it?!

i dunno...but i like your hair! :lol:

Thank you. :)

I don't know either, but when I put henna on my head, I never thought it would make me not natural anymore.

I'm okay if someone wants to say I'm not natural, though. It just doesn't even bother me. It's interesting to think about, though. I still consider my hair natural.

Well...I think the idea of Natural is too broad and general. Heat can cause permanent texture change in some hair types, so can color. I consider myself as transitioning from a relaxer, but I do have a color...black. The black dye has added an unnatural component to my hair. Then again, in the black community, yes...being free from relaxer makes you natural, regardless of heat, weaves, or color. But in the overall hair community, natural means natural, no perms, relaxers, or color.

Back