Backlash against relaxed hair?

Nope you aren't being paranoid. The United Federation of Natural Hair Advocates (UFNHA) is plotting against all chemically relaxed women of color. Yes we are coming FOR YOU armed with kitchen shears and clippers. YOU WILL BC!!!! Resistance is FUTILE!!!!

img-thing

you is a mess:lachen:

We all have to be strong :)

Relaxed or natural, you may run into some fools that can't mind their business.

I've gotten some stupid comments about my hair when it was relaxed, texturized and now natural.

It doesn't matter what you do! People can be amazingly bitter and have all types of chips on their shoulders. :lol:

They have something against you? That's THEIR problem. Not yours.

ETA... I just realized that's Plankton. :lol: Y'all silly. lol

The only problem I have with relaxers is those women with unhealthy relaxed hair who look down on natural (kinky/coily) hair, and make ignorant comments about other women who have healthy long relaxed hair ("she mixed", "she think she all a that", etc.). Out of insercurity and jealousy because they desire it.

Otherwise healthy hair is healthy hair. I see alot of naturals trying down play healthy relaxed or heat-trained (natural) hair by saying that it chemically and/or heat damaged by default even if the woman has long thick healthy looking hair that goes down her back. lol But if relaxing or heat-training does not agree with your hair and you continue to do it then I can see where they are coming from in that aspect.

If you are happy with the health of your hair... no matter what state you choose to wear it in. And you don't look upon your natural hair in a negative way then I say "whatever floats your boat". Relaxed, telaxed, texturized, natural, heat-trained... whatever!

For some people it really is just hair. But at the moment I think alot of women with naturally kinky/coily hair may attach a negative stigma to it. And it is part of or maybe even the sole reason they relax. Which is why I can understand there being a backlash against it.

Nope you aren't being paranoid. The United Federation of Natural Hair Advocates (UFNHA) is plotting against all chemically relaxed women of color. Yes we are coming FOR YOU armed with kitchen shears and clippers. YOU WILL BC!!!! Resistance is FUTILE!!!!

img-thing

WE'RE A CULT
SLOWLY STIRS A BATCH OF THE KOOL-AID

Last edited:
Of course... i have been natural for my whole life and I always try to explain how to make upkeep easier. I also offer bkts to my hair school clients (its not a chemical process so I am comfortable with doing it in my house) but nobody wants to do that.
They always list several frustrations:
"I'm ugly now"
"Its too much"
"It keeps sweating out"
"My hair is nappy"

Its almost like the upkeep is SUCH A HASTLE for some people. And then they point at my hair and say somethin like "See I couldn't pull that off." I often talk to the person for a 1/2 hour before and then I base them extra slow to make sure...
Normally I convince them to let me texlax. They don't know its a texlax but I will say "How about today we do a gentle mild relaxer. This way you can wear 'natural' styles and your hair will be less subject to breakage." Some just want their bone straight back.
After the relaxer too they are sooo excited. I have had one come back with the same amount of breakage, and another who's hair was thriving.
I think some people can't take care of their hair, or don't want to, and then some just like sleek styles.
Ooooh, that sounds familiar. That's what happened to me the two times I bc'd. I just didn't know what the heck I was doing, there was no youtube in those days, and the only naturals I knew were 3b-c's and pressed naturals. I didn't even know you had to dc, and how would I? My mother had never done it when I was little. And, I can't style worth a damn, natural, texlaxed, or bone-strait, so, left to my own devices, all I could squeeze out was a puff. It was sad.

But there's so much information out there now, so many new products, you might as well stick with it... dag, they wouldn't even try out the BKT? I'm surprised at that.

It's about time our natural hair is being given the attention it deserves! What's the problem with that? I don't get it.

I'm not hating on relaxed hair at all because I touched up my own relaxer in June of 09. I was relaxed from 2003 until 2009 after being natural for two years.

I like the look of healthy relaxed hair. I just wished that look didn't have to be achieved by using the type of chemicals you have to use. I really wish natural hair was looked upon more, so that sitting in front of the stove you don't hear you need to relax this mess.

Or the Youtube videos of the biracial girl's hair being raked with a comb by the mother and her screaming, crying, until she couldn't speak as she was getting her hair ripped into (while the sister recorded it and laughed).

Like I said I don't hate on relaxed hair, but for all the negative reasons women do it (that includes all races fixating on straight all the time) I don't like it. Doesn't mean I hate the person who relaxed.

The nappies are taking ova!!!!! Join the Relaxed Head Tea Party and stop the invasion now!!!!!! :help:

I think anything and everything that is natural should be promoted and celebrated. Ppl take about women should love their body..or they shouldn't get plastic surgery in order for them to love themselves..so why should hair be any different??

Ooooh, that sounds familiar. That's what happened to me the two times I bc'd. I just didn't know what the heck I was doing, there was no youtube in those days, and the only naturals I knew were 3b-c's and pressed naturals. I didn't even know you had to dc, and how would I? My mother had never done it when I was little. And, I can't style worth a damn, natural, texlaxed, or bone-strait, so, left to my own devices, all I could squeeze out was a puff. It was sad.

But there's so much information out there now, so many new products, you might as well stick with it... dag, they wouldn't even try out the BKT? I'm surprised at that.

And you know what, even though I was natural, I always pressed and I used petro products in my hair. Its just that I wore twists and braids and stuff. I never wore my hair in a wash n go.
And about the bkt... i'm not really surprised b/c I charge $175 and a hair school relaxer is only $25 :look:

And you know what, even though I was natural, I always pressed and I used petro products in my hair. Its just that I wore twists and braids and stuff. I never wore my hair in a wash n go.
And about the bkt... i'm not really surprised b/c I charge $175 and a hair school relaxer is only $25 :look:

@1st, if I did that, my hair would literally flee off my head. I can't do heat with any success/retention which is another reason I texlax: I can go straight or curly with no heat. That discovery was worth the 6.50 all by itself.

@2nd, welp, you know your customers. :lachen:

I wish I knew why people were getting mad.

To me, what's being discussed here is not like how Americans want to build a wall across the Mexican border, or how white people get mad about affirmative action. Those types of things come from people with privilege not wanting others to have anything at all. I think the thread is turning into that kind of thing, because of overly sensitive people, but that's not what it was meant to be.

From the OP, I did not get that the rising popularity of natural hair is a bad thing. The problem is the way that relaxed hair/people who use relaxer are starting to be viewed.
Like I said, I'm happy that natural hair is starting to be celebrated, but I don't want relaxed hair to become stigmatized because natural hair is moving on up. What I want is for relaxed and natural hair to be looked at equally, and for both to be included in discussion and stuff. Neither one should be looked down upon.

And I think that's how many relaxed heads around here feel...it's not that we want to see natural hair stamped out or held down. No one's trying to dull your shine. When someone BC's or a natural head posts a thread or whatever, there are always lots of thank yous and encouraging messages from relaxed people, as well as other naturals. So clearly, relaxed people are also appreciative of natural ladies. But as the number of natural ladies grow, it would be nice if relaxed people were not made to feel bad/like they have inferior hair/ignorant/excluded for choosing to relax.

Believe it or not, we can all be friends and have nice chats together. It doesn't always have to be war.

Persecution complex. Is like white folks scared Mexicans are taking over. You're still the majority, by far. Bask in your relaxed privilege.
exactly. and im relaxed btw.
i only notice this on the board. in the real world almost every black woman i encounter is relaxed. as for all these debates and non sense going on. i pay it no mind. im on a personal hair journey whether im relaxed or natural. unless its advice to help me learn how to keep my hair healthy i could care less.

*slowly backing out of thread*

:lol: :lachen:

Anyway....to answer your question Glib....

I really don't think it's any kind of "conspiracy theory" about hair coming to light. I honestly think it's simply that there are currently more OPTIONS and much more wealth of information regarding natural hair these days as opposed to say even 10 years ago! With this new information, women are now feeling more confident in going back to their "roots" and natural hair again.

I know one thing....I never even HEARD of this website LHCF 10 years ago, let alone even thought that I could transition to going natural. But now look....things have changed! Times have changed!

Everyone is trying to eat more "natural" and "organic" foods these days, use "natural" herbs for medicinal purposes, take "natural" vitamins, and heal themselves "naturally". So, it's not surprising to me that people are transferring that into their hair care. People just seem to be more health and "natural" conscious in GENERAL these days. :yep:

Personally, I feel that it's a GOOD thing! :yep: I think it just affords us women more OPTIONS. :grin:

Like I said, I'm happy that natural hair is starting to be celebrated, but I don't want relaxed hair to become stigmatized because natural hair is moving on up. What I want is for relaxed and natural hair to be looked at equally, and for both to be included in discussion and stuff. Neither one should be looked down upon.

Believe it or not, we can all be friends and have nice chats together. It doesn't always have to be war.

I totally agree.

What I feel about what is best for hair..is just that...what I feel. But far be it from me to transfer/impose/force feed my thoughts, emotions, hang-ups and feelings to the next. Maybe more attention is being placed on natural hair..for the moment...but we dealing with society and society at large is always willing to hop on the first available bandwagon and ride it until the wheels fall off...or until they have gotten their fill or until they have created as much havoc they deem amusing.

Let's get smart ladies... I wish more focus was placed on HEALTHY hair and we stopped playing into these ploys. Call it what you like...dumb it down...take a blue pill. The truth of the matter is that we don't hear about other races favoring one way of wearing hair over another...they might feel some kind of way about color, but we rarely (all things being equal) hear about texture..chemical vs no chemical. Not in this capacity...but who knows, maybe they keep it quiet and within their own walls. Whatever the case is...I just know that this whole hair thing is being used as a way to divide and at the end of the day...realllllyyyyyy folks?

~S~

Last edited:
I really haven't noticed this. It still seems that while an article might not be about hair (relaxed or not), the picture on the editorial will be a women with relaxed hair.
Articles on women with natural hair aren't "anti-relaxer" ....all of those publications you named have relaxer co's as advertisers. Its just like articles about ladies with relaxers arent anti- natural..its just what the article is about. I just take it at face value. These publications understand now that alot of women are going back to their natural state so they need to tap into this market to be relevant, especially if their target market is AA women.
It used to be that articles were on hair styles or products for black hair (regardless of natural or relaxed), versus being relaxed or natural....still when I look at Sophisticates Black Hair..they still have their little 3 page Natural hair segment in every edition lol. It still makes me laugh. But I don't expect hair mags or black mags in general to have more Natural hair articles or pics, because (not based on statistics) but I think that most AA's are relaxed. (not including hair boards,or blogs) Im talking in real life..naturals aren't the majority in the US.

The fact of the matter is, regimens and products are completely different for natural hair and relaxed hair so its great that more mags have articles on natural hair...I can't say they are excluding relaxed folks though just because we get 2 pages in a magazine.
I can't wait til its all equal...however, even when equal...we still do need separate articles because it is two different things.

Last edited:
I don't relax my hair and I have noticed this as well.

I agree. I am newly natural, and I see the trend forming. I think some people tend to become extreme about any side at a given time. I can remember when some people were extremely negative toward anyone who wasn't bone straight and relaxed too. I remember people getting talked about to the high heavens for even being a twinge "nappy" or not getting their touchups every 6 weeks or less. So, I think the pendulum is swinging. Hopefully, it'll naturally find it's way back to the middle and the conventional wisdom of to each her own. We're all black. We're all free to choose. It's all hair. That is all. :)

I guess it's just me. I don't want natural and relaxed hair to be seen as equal.

I want natural hair to be seen as the default and relaxed hair to be seen a style choice.

First off, let me say that I'm not trying to start any sort of fights about "good hair" vs. "bad hair" or anything like that. I am just noticing that as of late there are more and more anti-relaxer messages out there . . . from things as broad and in your face as Chris Rock's Good Hair to articles in Essence, Clutch (online e-zine), and other outlets that seem to exclude relaxed hair in articles discussing hair care . . . .

As a relaxed sista, I'm kinda :ohwell: about that. I'm not saying that we shouldn't celebrate natural hair . . . indeed, we should. It's quite revolutionary that it's becoming more mainstream after years of being viewed a choice that is "radical" or "political." It's just hair, people. So, given that I recognize that, why must we do a seeming 180 degree flip to excluding relaxed locks from the discussion of African American haircare? No, it's not me "wanting to be white" or denying my heritage. Again, it's just. hair. Sheesh.

Am I just being paranoid or has anyone else noticed this trend. Any thoughts on the subject in general?

Help me understand how a few articles which focus on natural hair is a 180 flip and considered anti-relaxer? Featuring natural hair in the media should not be considered a backlash against relaxed hair. I have not noticed an anti-relaxer sentiment in the general public.

I guess it's just me. I don't want natural and relaxed hair to be seen as equal.

I want natural hair to be seen as the default and relaxed hair to be seen a style choice.

Why does it matter? Shouldn't the only thing that matters be that you have the choice do style your hair however you like? Why does anyone else's hair matter?

Personally I don't want folks to focus on my hair (except the occasional compliment). I'm so much more than how I choose to style my hair.

that's a interesting way to put it. ITA, especially when it comes to young people.

OT: :lachen::lachen::lachen: at your siggy.

Not really. I notice more people going natural and an acceptance of it; i.e, an older white lady told me my hair looked nice when she and I knew my hair was looking a hot mess. But I don't really see this uberhatred towards women who are relaxed. I think the biggest struggle with us as a people is that we're almost too diverse, from the hair to the skin to the features, and whatnot and then when we try to champion something as the symbol of "blackness," it just gets messy. I'm not going to lie, I do think it is a bit bizarre that the majority of black women are relaxed to the max with some even not knowing what their real texture is like, but in the end relaxed is still just another hair choice. I'm natural, so I like seeing other healthy naturals, because it gives me hope when I struggle with my hair. But as long as the hair is healthy, that's all that matters. I hate seeing people with messed up relaxed hair, you need to cut that off baby. The damage has been done.

I'm hoping in general there is a larger trend towards natural things: natural beauty, natural foods, etc. We've all become a little to manufactured, a little too processed.

Why does it matter? Shouldn't the only thing that matters be that you have the choice do style your hair however you like? Why does anyone else's hair matter?

Personally I don't want folks to focus on my hair (except the occasional compliment). I'm so much more than how I choose to style my hair.

It shouldn't matter, but it does.

I would like for what grows out of our scalp to be considered normal. The longer we see relaxers as the default way of life for black women, the more we are going to see toddlers with broken off relaxed hair and missing edges. Relaxing should be seen for what it is...a style choice for adult women who want to wear straight hair. And there's nothing wrong with that.

The truth of the matter is that we don't hear about other races favoring one way of wearing hair over another...they might feel some kind of way about color, but we rarely (all things being equal) here about texture..chemical vs no chemical. Not in this capacity...but who knows, maybe they keep it quiet and within their own walls. Whatever the case is...I just know that this whole hair thing is being used as a way to divide and at the end of the day...realllllyyyyyy folks?

~S~

The OP has not given any examples of natural hair being favored over relaxed...just featured. I have seen many mainstream segments/articles featuring straight hair or curly hair exclusively (Today Show, InStyle, Lucky, Glamour, GMA to name a few). I doubt any of them are worried.

ETA: Naturallycurly promotes curly over straight regardless of race/ethnicity/culture.

Last edited:
Back