Backlash against relaxed hair?

Actually, yes that is exactly what is being implied if not said outright. And I am speaking very specifically on the claim that we should "embrace our hair as it grows out of our heads", since the phrase is tossed around in every nappy discussion.

I am sure that there is no questioning that hair does not grow in twist, braid or puff formation. The default natural hair style is an afro whether it is a TWA, BAF or somewhere in between. So if a fro is the universal starting point and common denominator with nappy hair, then it's a fair place to determine whether it is a universally flattering style. Which I don't believe it is. It's hard to live up to universal standards, whether they be pre-determined by Europeans or Africans.

OMg! i was just coming in to mention this. I'm always hearing accept it the way it grows out of your head, stop trying to make your hair do stuff it doesn't. Our hair does not grow out in twists, twistouts or braids or puffs!!

i'd only add that technically an afro is a style, just as the other styles mentioned. maybe i'm the only one but i have to work to get my hair to look like an afro. :yep: free form locks, on the other hand (the kind rastafarians grow) would just require that i wash and leave it alone and never comb it.

also, i took the "embrace our hair as it grows out of our heads" to refer to hair texture and not a style. plus, i'm not so sure i'd say that natural hair is an African standard of beauty. If so, "universal" may be a gross exaggeration. It seems like the African standard of beauty is European 'cause natural hair is more common in the U.S. than in the motherland. Even then, it's relatively rare. I see your point though. I would probably exchange the word Afrocentric for African.

i agree, though, that straight/long hair can fit some facial structures better than curly/short hair. for me long hair suits me better than short. this is why if rejoiced when i found lhcf and other blogs so i could grow my natural hair long. i was relaxed for 12 years and didn't have any real issues so i don't knock anyone's decision.

Actually, yes that is exactly what is being implied if not said outright. And I am speaking very specifically on the claim that we should "embrace our hair as it grows out of our heads", since the phrase is tossed around in every nappy discussion.

I am sure that there is no questioning that hair does not grow in twist, braid or puff formation. The default natural hair style is an afro whether it is a TWA, BAF or somewhere in between. So if a fro is the universal starting point and common denominator with nappy hair, then it's a fair place to determine whether it is a universally flattering style. Which I don't believe it is. It's hard to live up to universal standards, whether they be pre-determined by Europeans or Africans.

LIKE MOST FOLKS IN THIS ROOM....

i've been relaxed 1/2 of my life.....and natural the other

EVEN STEVEN!!!!

totally looking forWARD to the Jheri Curl as "THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE"!!!

Last edited:
First off, let me say that I'm not trying to start any sort of fights about "good hair" vs. "bad hair" or anything like that. I am just noticing that as of late there are more and more anti-relaxer messages out there . . . from things as broad and in your face as Chris Rock's Good Hair to articles in Essence, Clutch (online e-zine), and other outlets that seem to exclude relaxed hair in articles discussing hair care . . . .

As a relaxed sista, I'm kinda :ohwell: about that. I'm not saying that we shouldn't celebrate natural hair . . . indeed, we should. It's quite revolutionary that it's becoming more mainstream after years of being viewed a choice that is "radical" or "political." It's just hair, people. So, given that I recognize that, why must we do a seeming 180 degree flip to excluding relaxed locks from the discussion of African American haircare? No, it's not me "wanting to be white" or denying my heritage. Again, it's just. hair. Sheesh.

Am I just being paranoid or has anyone else noticed this trend. Any thoughts on the subject in general?

I simply don't relax because it is too much chemicals on my hair since I like to dye it and want my scalp and hair to be chemical free... and I have just noticed the simple fact that everyone just wants to be more natural since it helps the hair....

I simply don't relax because it is too much chemicals on my hair since I like to dye it and want my scalp and hair to be chemical free... and I have just noticed the simple fact that everyone just wants to be more natural since it helps the hair....

:huh: Isn't dye a chemical?

great post!

To answer the OP: I have not noticed a backlash against relaxed hair, but I have noticed more black women with natural hair in the media spotlight. I think more black women are curious about their natural hair. Why? Because most of us haven't seen it or don't remember it. The problem with this topic is that people get their feelings hurt because they feel convicted about relaxing their hair. But if you think about it logically, count the number of women you encounter with relaxed hair vs natural hair. If you live in a small town like me, you won't see many twist outs, twists (unless they are kinky twists with extensions), twas, etc. Think about all the kids that are relaxed. My DD is one of 2 natural girls in a class of 10 girls (and this is in kindergarten). People are exposing children to chemicals at a young age without a thought. Why? Because that is all most of us know. Think about the threads regarding professional hair styles and being natural or transitioning. Or will my man still find me attractive if I'm natural. Have you ever seen any of those threads in regards to relaxed hair?

I have no problem with what anyone else does to their head. But I would love to see more people in general who have experienced both relaxed and natural hair. People that truly got the chance to do what's best for them and not just do what they have always known.

Another thing that "bothers" me is the undercurrent that there are too many threads geared toward naturals. Why aren't you (in general) starting a thread. Where are the threads about rollersets, how to properly relax your hair, updos for relaxed hair? Why don't you (in general) jump in and participate? Stop all the whining and complaining (and posting ateyya/kimmay threads and natural vs relaxed threads to start drama) and keep some threads about relaxed and natural hair going. I vote for more pics and education, less drama.

also, i took the "embrace our hair as it grows out of our heads" to refer to hair texture and not a style. plus, i'm not so sure i'd say that natural hair is an African standard of beauty. If so, "universal" may be a gross exaggeration. It seems like the African standard of beauty is European 'cause natural hair is more common in the U.S. than in the motherland. Even then, it's relatively rare. I see your point though. I would probably exchange the word Afrocentric for African.

One of the reasons you see natural hair more often in Africa has nothing to do with a preference for relaxed or natural hair. It is due to the fact the school system within Africa is intense and children are restricted from what they can do in terms of ornament or physical changes. Girl's hair isn't meant to have much focus on it, it is supposed to be functional and efficient thus many girls keep their hair braided for long periods of time (months on end, simply re-braiding when it becomes necessary) or keep it natural and cut it short. Even a pronounced afro isn't really appreciated and a child will be told to trim their hair if it is deemed distracting.

It is typically only when someone has graduated totally from school that they then begin to style their hair and then it is essentially a mix. You will see some styles more in certain areas. Some women prefer to be natural, others relax their hair. Regardless it's not the big deal that it is in this country.

Back