"Baby, this Aussie is White girl conditioner.."

Lucky's Mom

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes - this is what my mother in law said when I picked it up today....
Out of sheer desparation and all of your reccomendations....I fell into the pool - and oh boy.... the lovely flat iron job.... Exploded into an AFRO :nono::nono::nono:

Imagine two pigtails - that explode.....

I am in Kansas city Mo, and I am no where near my beloved Trader Joe's or my homemade condish.....

Of course she thinks I am a freak anyway - since I don't use what she uses on her relaxed FRIED hair..( which she flat irons daily, with the cheapest tools in town)

I quipped.............." conditioner is not white or Black".... it is conditioner.....":rolleyes:

At least DH just looked at me with support......She also thinks I am nutty as a fruitcake by using honey and olive oil... I am being sneaky and using that....I also hid Aloe vera juice in the fridge.....:sekret:

Lawd.....:sad::sad:

Lol, most of my family says this about anything that is not Pantene Relaxed and Natural or doesn't have an Afro-centric print on the container.

My family is waiting for my hair to fallout cause I'm no doing what they do. My younger cousin bearly has enough hair to attach her fake ponytail to but my hair is going to fallout from washing twice a week. Girl plz.:perplexed

Lol, most of my family says this about anything that is not Pantene Relaxed and Natural or doesn't have an Afro-centric print on the container.

Yea - she was telling me all about Pantene... that stuff is TRASH.....

And - she thinks that Dr. Miracles is "the Bomb":rolleyes:

I'm not alone!! Yay!

I'm not really happy with the quality found in "ethnic hair aisles". However, it took me a while to realize that conditioner is conditioner and that I didn't need to use too many specific products.

Am I right in this assertion?

I understand. I had a Caucasian friend of mine be surprised to see some bottles of Garnier Fructis in my bathroom the other day.

On second thought, maybe it was b/c she said she tried it and didn't like it. She said nothing about the large bottle (with the pump) of Aussie Moist on my counter, right next to a bottle of Dove conditioner.

I'm not alone!! Yay!

I'm not really happy with the quality found in "ethnic hair aisles". However, it took me a while to realize that conditioner is conditioner and that I didn't need to use too many specific products.

Am I right in this assertion?

Well, I don't nessarily agree with the bolded ...but..... For me the "BSS" or "black products" are laden with chemicals and Mineral oils - that I choose not to use on my hair.
Conditioners - DO MATTER...but

White or black??? no way.

Good for you to keep most of your hair secrets just that.....SECRET!!
Do your hair thing..she'll be seeking hair advice after a while.

I went into a Sally's earlier to look for Silk Elements and the store clerk was a white lady. She asked if she could help me find anything and I said not unless they have an aisle with nothing but deep conditioner, lol. So she says they have a section for "black hair" since our hair is sooo dry and etc, etc. I didn't get mad or anything, I just told her a lot of the stuff marketed towards us is utter crap, lol.

So she tried to help me find some things and I told her flat out, I'm picky. I don't want mineral oil, or proteins, period. She tried really hard to help me, though...and looked a little surprised when I looked at things that are typically marketed towards "white hair." I just told her our hair comes in all kinds of varieties, and not all of it is as "difficult" as it seems.

Good for you to keep most of your hair secrets just that.....SECRET!!
Do your hair thing..she'll be seeking hair advice after a while.

Girl - never. she thinks I am a wierdo freak - hippie who does not understand why in the world I will not let her "slap a perm on that head....."

I am crazy in her book.....Which is fine with me.....

claerly a chain smoker is not too concerned with toxins in the products they use....:look:

I understand. I had a Caucasian friend of mine be surprised to see some bottles of Garnier Fructis in my bathroom the other day.

On second thought, maybe it was b/c she said she tried it and didn't like it. She said nothing about the large bottle (with the pump) of Aussie Moist on my counter, right next to a bottle of Dove conditioner.

Off topic: Where can I get the pump bottle of aussie moist?? I keep looking for it but only find the small bottle.

I fell into the pool - and oh boy.... the lovely flat iron job.... Exploded into an AFRO :nono::nono::nono:

Imagine two pigtails - that explode.....
Why did that remind me of that one Boondocks comic strip panel :lachen:
sbo090125gif.jpeg

Just keep doing what you do and reap the benefits!

Your hair is longer than hers probably. Enough said! Your DH is a wonderful person to support you in all of your hair endeavors.

A lot of black people think they can't use any products that they see on tv with caucasion women as the models.

Let me tell you I was in Barbados last year and my Aunt ran out of conditioner. All I had was Avon Advanced Techniques Smooth and Sleek Conditioner. So I gave it to her and she said this is "white people's conditioner it will make my hair fall out.":perplexed I told her to stop and think for a second, hair is hair. There is nothing in conditioner that is going to make your hair fall out b/c you are black. I mean is there something programmed in a hair care product that says: "I am on a black person's hair right now, let's break it off." :nono:She then proceded to go into the whole your hair is different that mine crap, anyway she tried it and got up the next morning raving about how soft her hair was and she loved it and then became sad b/c she could't get avon in barbados. I told her to keep the bottle. She was elated.

What is important I think is what kind of hair the product is good for not black or white hair as both those races have significant differences in texture within their own races. I am talking hair type such as strand thickness and dryness. There are conditoners for dry thick hair, dry thin hair, dry hair of normal thickness, hair of normal in thickness and moisture, oily hair, that is thin etc etc. You want to take of your hair, you have to first have an open mind b/c there are way too many good products out there to just exclude them b/c we think its geared to someone from another race. Damn, I love my Alter Ego Garlic Treatment!

And, just an FYI-Aussie Moist is good for all hair types that are normal to dry and Aussie 3 minute is good for hair types that are thick to coarse and normal to dry.:yep:

Last edited:
Most family members will question anything different you do to your hair that they have not seen done in a beauty salon, or use a product that is not on the BBS shelf. It's OK for them to feel and think that way, because your long healthy hair is proof that you have mastered your regimen while they're still looking for theirs! Keep doing what you do, look forward to being reunited back home with your beloved products and procedures.

Off topic: Where can I get the pump bottle of aussie moist?? I keep looking for it but only find the small bottle.

Do you belong to a discount club like Sam's or Costco?

I shop at BJ's and they have the big bottles of Aussie Moist and other brands with a pump for like $6...way cheaper than buying the smaller bottles in the drugstore.

I was living in Indiana last year and since Walmart didn't carry many if any Ethnic products (not even Pantene's R&N) I was always using Garnier (they had $2 coupons too). Folks in the store would look at me sideways when I was walking up and down the conditioner aisle picking stuff up and reading labels. Since being on the boards I found myself moving away from products marketed for Black hair because they are full of crap and harmful chemicals and aren't really made to help hair.

As we say: What works for one, may not work for another.
-Guess your Aussie Moist (love it!!) may not work for your mother. I actually turned my Mom onto Aussie Moist after she tried my bottle and loved the pump and the conditioner too.

Your hair is longer than hers probably. Enough said! Your DH is a wonderful person to support you in all of your hair endeavors.

Oh yea.... totally. She was shocked at my length. She had to search for a compliment.....

And :lachen::lachen: as soon as I fell in the pool.

Thank God she lives on the east coast. she would not spend a dime on healthy hair. she would rather buy cigs...............:over18:

I was living in Indiana last year and since Walmart didn't carry many if any Ethnic products (not even Pantene's R&N) I was always using Garnier (they had $2 coupons too). Folks in the store would look at me sideways when I was walking up and down the conditioner aisle picking stuff up and reading labels. Since being on the boards I found myself moving away from products marketed for Black hair because they are full of crap and harmful chemicals and aren't really made to help hair.

As we say: What works for one, may not work for another.
-Guess your Aussie Moist (love it!!) may not work for your mother. I actually turned my Mom onto Aussie Moist after she tried my bottle and loved the pump and the conditioner too.

At the bolded: been doing that for many years now....

Girl - she has never used Aussie, and never will... what is even funnier - is that my Mother in Law is Half White!!!!!!!!:perplexed:perplexed

And she could swear that "this stuff" wont work for her. I basically have no comment for her style... she even told me a co-worker needs a good perm....

And she and my grandmother-in law - INSIST that I have "THACK hurr":look: even though, I am more than educated on my hairtype, thank you very much.

They think I am nuts, but they chop and dye and perm their hair regularly...
My M-I-L pointed out a salon on our way home - just to make sure I knew where it was....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: to get my hurrrr straight, and that I could use her burnt up curling iron - if need be. I told her, "umm, no thanks, I just let it go back to curls if it wants to. I don't over use heat tools."

I got the koo koo look for that.:sad:

I'm waiting for the day my mom looks at me sideways for the "white" products. My sister use to look at me sideways until she saw how my hair grew, then she shut up and now digs through my product bin when her hair starts lookin a mess....and my cousin always gives me the look when I pick up products that aren't of "ethnic" and use something other then grease or oil when I moisturize,cause to her those are the only good moisturizers other then pink lotion.

keep rockin it, your mother's just gonna have to accept that your hair is perfectly gorgeous the way it is, using the products you use..

Do you belong to a discount club like Sam's or Costco?

I shop at BJ's and they have the big bottles of Aussie Moist and other brands with a pump for like $6...way cheaper than buying the smaller bottles in the drugstore.

yup im a member at bjs also. I'll check it out. Thanks! I've just started using it so i've never really payed attention to where aussie products were sold.

Okay Does Deodorant knows it if is a woman's underarm or a males. All conditioners for tme most part have some kind of emulisification of oil and water. Does the oil and water know if the hair is black or white????.

Just asking cause I dont' know why people think this. And always usually the ones that have NO hair on their heads.

Call me crazy but I'm also not a fan of how ethnic products generally have only one color scheme and not so girly scents. I prefer mainstream products and they look pretty/smell nice in my closet.

Back