Aveda Junkies, Please Help!

CAPlush

I've just decided to assign myself a personal challenge to use all Aveda products for the next 3 months, and I have gone with the Damage Remedy line which has been great so far. My regimen needs a leave in for wet hair and a moisturizer for dry hair. I asked the clerk about it and she said that there used to be an elixer but it has been discontinued. She couldn't recommend anything else though. Can the DR conditioner be used as a leave in? Thanks!

CAPlush said:
I've just decided to assign myself a personal challenge to use all Aveda products for the next 3 months, and I have gone with the Damage Remedy line which has been great so far. My regimen needs a leave in for wet hair and a moisturizer for dry hair. I asked the clerk about it and she said that there used to be an elixer but it has been discontinued. She couldn't recommend anything else though. Can the DR conditioner be used as a leave in? Thanks!

The elixir may be still available in some stores or eBay. Another leave in I can recommend is Hang Straight by Aveda

yeah, you may be able to find the elixir in stores. i also heard on here that the DR line would be coming out with a leave in to replace the elixir. that would be nice!!:) the usc is a great moisturizing lotion that aveda has. i mix it the brilliant serum

honeybadgirl said:
yeah, you may be able to find the elixir in stores. i also heard on here that the DR line would be coming out with a leave in to replace the elixir. that would be nice!!:) the usc is a great moisturizing lotion that aveda has. i mix it the brilliant serum

I also use the USC & serum for moisture & shine. As far as a leave in I still use my elixir but I also use the hang straight too. I have used a little of both & it worked really well.
My local Aveda store didn't have the elixir...I got mine from Nelly (thanks girl)
That was me that mentioned the new DR leave in. Thats what I was told by the Aveda consultant. I guess we'll have to wait & see......

I did an experiment where I used the Hang Straight, Elixir, then sealed with one of the serums like Light Elements. My hair turned out very nice.

If you don't have Elixir, then just use the Hang Straight. After the hair is dry, use the Universal Styling Creme, then seal with the Brilliant Serum (blue pump) or the Light Elements Serum (light blue pump). The Brilliant Serum is a little heavier than the other.

I would like to do this challenge, too. I have the Aveda DR and SI lines, along with the Brilliant Styling line, but not the Brilliant Shampoo or Conditioner.

I also have the Shampure and the Conditioner that goes with it as a sample. The sales lady said that the Shampure/Conditioner can be used more often. So, if you visit an Aveda store, ask the sales lady for a small version of the shampure and it's conditioner and see how you like it.

ETA: I forgot that I also have the Sap Moss pre-poo concentrate, shampoo and conditioner. I'd like to rotate all of these lines--perhaps for 3 months--to see how my hair responds.

Stop laughing at me, La Flaca! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I've been using the Universal Styling Creme for years, love it, I'll never stop using it. I flat iron my hair myself and it looks professional because the cream is light but gives so much shine.

I like the Sap Moss concentrate as a pre-poo. I'm tempted to leave it in and see how that goes. I tried the Sap Moss shampoo and didn't like it, but I may have been using it wrong, so I'm going to give it another try.

I like the Be Curly and I'm going to try the Hang Straight this weekend.

To be honest, I'm going to the Aveda store on my lunch break and I'm going to act a fool. I'm getting a couple of pomades, a serum, shampoo and conditioner. I may also get some more SM concentrate. :eek: I know, I know, I need my a** whooped for that one, but I'm shopping away my pain ladies, heartbreak is a mutha.

The Damage Remedy line just wasn't for me, but a-lot of ladies love it - so I'll refrain from talking greasy about it.

I do have to say that I've tried a few different gels from Aveda, a control paste product as well as some type of mist wax (in a light blue bottle) and they were all trash. :mad: They each turned white and flaked.

Wow! I'm a KISS girl, so I can really only use one leave in conditioner at a time! It sounds like everyone likes the Hang Straight Leave In, Universal Styling Cream, and Brilliant Serum. I think I will try them in that order. I hope they do come out with a nice Aveda DR leave in.

Thanks for the responses!

Serenity Peace, you are free to join me! I just bought the $68 bottle of DR treatment in a moment of madness, and joined the membership club, and now I figure I need to use it. All of the Aveda heads on this board hair seems to be looking better and better, so a 3 month commitment should show some improvement. The only exceptions I have are for my relaxer days, and my Aphogee Treatment days, I won't be changing my products to Aveda for that. And of course, I oil my hair, so those won't be Aveda either.

CAPlush said:

No suggestions but your hair looks fab. Great Progress, Go girl!!

gymfreak336 said:
No suggestions but your hair looks fab. Great Progress, Go girl!!

Thanks gym! My routine has been working out, slow and steady wins the race ;) !!! Have you made it to SL yet???

I think everyone has answered your questions! I just wanted to say that you've made great progress! You will be pleasantly surprised at how healthy your hair would be with only using Aveda products.

CAPlush said:
Serenity Peace, you are free to join me! I just bought the $68 bottle of DR treatment in a moment of madness, and joined the membership club, and now I figure I need to use it. All of the Aveda heads on this board hair seems to be looking better and better, so a 3 month commitment should show some improvement. The only exceptions I have are for my relaxer days, and my Aphogee Treatment days, I won't be changing my products to Aveda for that. And of course, I oil my hair, so those won't be Aveda either.

I'm happy to join you. I have other products that I need to use up, but I think I'm going to give those a rest and just concentrate on the Aveda. If you'd like to start a thread for the challenge, then count me in. I'm sure there are other ladies, like La Flaca and Pinkskates, who would be interested in joining as well... ;)

ETA: Your hair looks very nice and thick, by the way... :kiss:

Serenity_Peace said:
I did an experiment where I used the Hang Straight, Elixir, then sealed with one of the serums like Light Elements. My hair turned out very nice.

If you don't have Elixir, then just use the Hang Straight. After the hair is dry, use the Universal Styling Creme, then seal with the Brilliant Serum (blue pump) or the Light Elements Serum (light blue pump). The Brilliant Serum is a little heavier than the other.

I would like to do this challenge, too. I have the Aveda DR and SI lines, along with the Brilliant Styling line, but not the Brilliant Shampoo or Conditioner.

I also have the Shampure and the Conditioner that goes with it as a sample. The sales lady said that the Shampure/Conditioner can be used more often. So, if you visit an Aveda store, ask the sales lady for a small version of the shampure and it's conditioner and see how you like it.

ETA: I forgot that I also have the Sap Moss pre-poo concentrate, shampoo and conditioner. I'd like to rotate all of these lines--perhaps for 3 months--to see how my hair responds.

Stop laughing at me, La Flaca! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I couldn't help it:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I won't laugh anymore, promise:D

ETA: I want to try the hair potion, did you ike it?

Last edited:
I use all Aveda products and my salon still has the Elixir; but you may look into the Aveda Color Conserve Foaming Leave-in Conditioner. It is a good, light-weight conditioner for someone with normal to dry hair. And you will only need this one conditioner; because it's a true leave-in.

pinkskates said:
I use all Aveda products and my salon still has the Elixir; but you may look into the Aveda Color Conserve Foaming Leave-in Conditioner. It is a good, light-weight conditioner for someone with normal to dry hair. And you will only need this one conditioner; because it's a true leave-in.

Pinkskates, what do you mean by "it is a true leave-in?":confused: Thanks in advance for the clarification. ;)

pinkskates said:

Girl, I'm mad that you mentioned this after I went crazy on my lunch break :lol: . I went and got some Sap Moss shampoo, the serum in the dark blue bottle,the Humectant pomade, the Brilliant conditioner and some more Universal Styling Creme. I wanted to get the pomade in the white jar too, but they were out. Oh well, I'll have to keep it in mind for the next time.

Originally posted by Natieya
Pinkskates, what do you mean by "it is a true leave-in?":confused: Thanks in advance for the clarification. ;)
I stressed that it's a true leave-in, because some of the other ladies told the OP that she could try mixing USC and Brillant serum since she was out of the Elixir leave-in conditioner. And the OP stated that she was looking to keep it simple and wanted to only use one product.:)
Originally posted by Khalia27
Girl, I'm mad that you mentioned this after I went crazy on my lunch break :lol: . I went and got some Sap Moss shampoo, the serum in the dark blue bottle,the Humectant pomade, the Brilliant conditioner and some more Universal Styling Creme. I wanted to get the pomade in the white jar too, but they were out. Oh well, I'll have to keep it in mind for the next time.
Oops, sorry boo:lol: ...man you did go crazy; but I don't blame you. I wont be happy until I have every hair product Aveda makes. But you know you can always return what you don't like. Have fun with your Aveda goodies!

divinefavor said:
I think everyone has answered your questions! I just wanted to say that you've made great progress! You will be pleasantly surprised at how healthy your hair would be with only using Aveda products.

Thank you so much divinefavor, I am looking forward to the results I will get over time with Aveda!!!

pinkskates said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will add this to the list of leave ins to try. I won't be getting the Hang Straight because I really wanted a moisturizing leave in and it looks like Hang Straight is more for hold and shine/gloss based on the claims on the bottle.

Khalia27 said:

You joined the Aveda Pure Privilege right???

Serenity_Peace said:
I'm happy to join you. I have other products that I need to use up, but I think I'm going to give those a rest and just concentrate on the Aveda. If you'd like to start a thread for the challenge, then count me in. I'm sure there are other ladies, like La Flaca and Pinkskates, who would be interested in joining as well... ;)

ETA: Your hair looks very nice and thick, by the way... :kiss:

Ok, I'll start a thread! There will at least be a few people in it, that will keep us motivated!

Serenity_Peace said:
If you don't have Elixir, then just use the Hang Straight.

ITA...the hang straight gives similar results to the Elixir. I also use diluted Brilliant conditioner as a leave-in and it's GREAT. Put a little USC on top of that and your hair will be singin' :lol:

CAPlush said:
Thanks for the suggestion, I will add this to the list of leave ins to try. I won't be getting the Hang Straight because I really wanted a moisturizing leave in and it looks like Hang Straight is more for hold and shine/gloss based on the claims on the bottle.

The Hang Straight leaves my hair really soft.

CAPlush said:
Thanks gym! My routine has been working out, slow and steady wins the race ;) !!! Have you made it to SL yet???

Almost girl, almost. After my next relaxer I should be there. If not, by october at the latest.

soooo i'm thinking of switching to an Aveda line so i can do even bigger things with my hair, but i'm concerned about the price and my habit of daily cowashing... do you think the benefit would be diluted if i were to rinse my hair daily with water only, shampoo once a week and then throw a cowash in there one other time per week??

*did that make sense?*

eta: Has anyone tried this at an Aveda Spa:
Damage Remedy Hair and Scalp RenewalSM
A potent sensory experience and intense repair for hair.
It begins with scalp, neck and shoulder massage—with up to 12 aroma-therapeutic essential oils—to increase scalp circulation while targeting pressure points that release tension. Then hair is treated with one of two intense repair formulas: Moisture Immersion, for up to 71% softer, smoother strands; or Strength Infusion, for up to 71% more resistance to combing breakage. At every step, aroma-therapy elevates, soothes or recharges.

i think it's something that i want to try but i wanted to get some reviews first...

Last edited:
I had it done at an Aveda Institute. It made my hair immediately stop shedding and feel soo soft. (I had the moisture immersion one). I would bring up the thread I started on it, but the search function isn't working right now. :)

SqrpioQutie said:
soooo i'm thinking of switching to an Aveda line so i can do even bigger things with my hair, but i'm concerned about the price and my habit of daily cowashing... do you think the benefit would be diluted if i were to rinse my hair daily with water only, shampoo once a week and then throw a cowash in there one other time per week??

*did that make sense?*

eta: Has anyone tried this at an Aveda Spa:
Damage Remedy Hair and Scalp RenewalSM
A potent sensory experience and intense repair for hair.
It begins with scalp, neck and shoulder massage—with up to 12 aroma-therapeutic essential oils—to increase scalp circulation while targeting pressure points that release tension. Then hair is treated with one of two intense repair formulas: Moisture Immersion, for up to 71% softer, smoother strands; or Strength Infusion, for up to 71% more resistance to combing breakage. At every step, aroma-therapy elevates, soothes or recharges.

i think it's something that i want to try but i wanted to get some reviews first...

natieya said:
I had it done at an Aveda Institute. It made my hair immediately stop shedding and feel soo soft. (I had the moisture immersion one). I would bring up the thread I started on it, but the search function isn't working right now. :)
Seems to be working now. You could always go to your profile and click on all threads started by you.

Back