Attn: Naturals: Giovanni Smooth as Silk Condish

Nasdaq_Diva

I pulled a few threads to read about Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner. The bottle says it's a DC. I'd hate to waste money/return if I don't like the product.

Have any of you had good results with this? Any negatives?

Apply to Dry or Wet Hair:
Heat/No Heat:
How long: Overnight, 30min, 1hr+

I use it and I like it. At first, I didn't.

But I'll give you my stats first since what works for me, may not work well for you.

- Mainly 4b, with 4a at the nape
- Fine hair/Low-Medium density/Porous :nono:
- Loves protein products.

At first, I didn't like it since it just sat on my hair. I read up on porosity and started to use some products to help with that. Afterwards, the Smooth as Silk conditioner seemed to become magical. It has some protein in it, but my hair loves it. It's stronger, but not like after an intense protein treatment. My hair doesn't feel silky, but I'm sure that's because it's not meant to :yep:. It feels softer and moisturized.

But, I can't call it a staple yet since I tried it about twice since correcting my porosity issues (and I'm still in the process of doing so). I ran out, so I'm getting another bottle through vitacost (it's under $5 there).

I prefer Giovanni products over AO, as well... So far anyway.

- Applied to Wet Hair
- DC'ed overnight (once) and the other time left on for 10 minutes no heat (results were about the same, I think)

Last edited:
I am singing high praises for this conditioner. I can't tell you how it is as a DC, but I use it for co-washing, and I love it. It makes my hair feel soft and moisturized. Definitely my staple.:grin:

Not sure either how it's a dc but as cowash it's awesome...and it really helps to detangle. But I'm sure you can add oils and what not to make it more of a dc. Luckily it's not too expensive.

I usE this as a daily moisturizer and love it.
I just used it as an overnight DC along with some AO and my hair felt like butta and is still soft and moisturized.

I'm 4a/b transitioning.

I use this product for deep conditioning (both with and without steam) and it performs marvelously every time, which is huge for me since my hair dislikes a large percentage of the site's favored products.

I hate that conditioner. It worked ok while I was transitioning but I used it recently and it killed my curls and left my hair dry and brittle feeling. I threw that conditioner in the garbage. However my hair does love the triple tea tree treat and 50/50 conditioners.

I use to use as a deep conditioner but I stopped. Now I use sas as leave-in before I blow dry or flatiron since it does work better than the direct leave-in. I did use it for a co-wash but I prefer it as a leave-in.

I've never used Smooth as Silk conditioner as a DC, only as a cowash. I have used and still occasionally use Smooth as Silk Deeper moisture for a DC. Its pretty good.

Thanks for the responses so far!
I hate that conditioner. It worked ok while I was transitioning but I used it recently and it killed my curls and left my hair dry and brittle feeling. I threw that conditioner in the garbage. However my hair does love the triple tea tree treat and 50/50 conditioners.
Oh no...there is all one unhappy camper. All these positive reviews had me optimistic. I'm going to end up like you Ravenia, and end up hating it..watch :lachen:

But, I'm going to cross fingers and hope for the best.

I've never used Smooth as Silk conditioner as a DC, only as a cowash. I have used and still occasionally use Smooth as Silk Deeper moisture for a DC. Its pretty good.
That's the conditioner I'm talking about. Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner :yep:

I have a huge pump bottle of it in the shower and I have used it 5 times. the smell makes me nauseous. The slip is OK but not great.

I love the Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner. Every time I'm in a TJ Maxx or Marshall's I'm checking to see if they have it... and if they do I buy all the bottles off the shelf. I'm not a huge fan of the citrus smell, but hands down this conditioner gives me more slip than any other conditioner that I've EVER used... and that says a lot. :yep:

I'm a 4a/b that is 20 weeks post and thinking about transitioning. I've never used it to DC, but when I use it in the shower, by the time I'm done bathing, my NG has MELTED, so I really don't need to DC afterwards. This is the one product that has allowed me to stretch for so long. Without it, I would have relaxed a LOOONG time ago.

Thanks for the responses so far!
Oh no...there is all one unhappy camper. All these positive reviews had me optimistic. I'm going to end up like you Ravenia, and end up hating it..watch :lachen:

But, I'm going to cross fingers and hope for the best.

:lachen:

I hate to be the angry one but I couldn't believe what it did to my usually well moisturized hair. I know it was the sas that caused my dry spell because I always use the same products and decided to get fancy with sas as a dc.

Anyhow I hope it works for you Nasdaq. :yep:

I use it as a rinse out and a leave-in/styler (I have pic in my album where I used it for a twist out). SO far so good for me. Actually it's one of the few not-made-to-be-left-in-conditioners that I can actually leave-in without making my hair feel weird.

i hate it too...it felt great going on but as soon as i got out of the shower my hair was dry within 5 mins, and it never does that! and my hair felt like hay! what a waste! i hate the direct leave in...i bought the nutrafix for protein but im scared to use it!

I use it and I like it. At first, I didn't.

But I'll give you my stats first since what works for me, may not work well for you.

- Mainly 4b, with 4a at the nape
- Fine hair/Low-Medium density/Porous :nono:
- Loves protein products.

At first, I didn't like it since it just sat on my hair. I read up on porosity and started to use some products to help with that. Afterwards, the Smooth as Silk conditioner seemed to become magical. It has some protein in it, but my hair loves it. It's stronger, but not like after an intense protein treatment. My hair doesn't feel silky, but I'm sure that's because it's not meant to :yep:. It feels softer and moisturized.

But, I can't call it a staple yet since I tried it about twice since correcting my porosity issues (and I'm still in the process of doing so). I ran out, so I'm getting another bottle through vitacost (it's under $5 there).

I prefer Giovanni products over AO, as well... So far anyway.

- Applied to Wet Hair
- DC'ed overnight (once) and the other time left on for 10 minutes no heat (results were about the same, I think)

I don't wanna hijack the post but i was wondering what products have you found to help with porosity? The way you described you hair seems identical to mine. I just used Roux PC tonight (I don't know if it work cos i just braided up my hair to sleep and it's still wet after my weekly wash) i'm looking for other products that might help my porus head!lol

oh and i really like Smooth as Silk as a DC and for co washing ocassionally. LeKair+EVOO is still my DC of choice though.

Ditto. I love Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner albeit not the smell. I have a gallon of it. I use it for DC and well as for my rinse out conditioner when I cowash. I also use the shampoo.

I used the direct leave in a while back and hated it. I may try it again since I was transitioning at the time I hated it.

I love the Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner. Every time I'm in a TJ Maxx or Marshall's I'm checking to see if they have it... and if they do I buy all the bottles off the shelf. I'm not a huge fan of the citrus smell, but hands down this conditioner gives me more slip than any other conditioner that I've EVER used... and that says a lot. :yep:

I'm a 4a/b that is 20 weeks post and thinking about transitioning. I've never used it to DC, but when I use it in the shower, by the time I'm done bathing, my NG has MELTED, so I really don't need to DC afterwards. This is the one product that has allowed me to stretch for so long. Without it, I would have relaxed a LOOONG time ago.

Love it as a co wash.... haven't used it as a DC ..hmm I still have a bottle left, time to dig it out and give it a try.

I used this conditioner this morning for my co-wash and it left my hair very soft and moisturized. Detangling was easy but this conditioner did not make my curls pop as much as Aussie Moist does. I might try it as a DC next time. The citrus smell doesn't really bother me. For an organic product, I think it is acceptable.

Ditto. I love Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner albeit not the smell. I have a gallon of it. I use it for DC and well as for my rinse out conditioner when I cowash. I also use the shampoo.

I used the direct leave in a while back and hated it. I may try it again since I was transitioning at the time I hated it.

Girl stop playing! Where did you find the gallon size and how much was it? :yay:
I also like the poo because it's sulfate free. Tried the Direct Leave-in as well and it really did nothing special. Just trying to finish the bottle now.

I absolutely love this condish. I'm about to spring fo the gallon size. When I use it I generally add EVOO and honey. I can always count on a successfull wash day using this condish.

I use it however is convinient at the time. If I have time for an extend DC, I apply to dry hair overnight. No time, apply to damp hair and sit under hooded dryer for 30 min. On lazy wash days, I apply to dry hair and rinse out in the shower w/in and hour. It's the one condish that delivers ample moisture to my strands w/ or w/out heat, after 5 minutes or 5 hours.

I got a 33.5oz of the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat condish for $12.99. Still haven't used the Smooth as Silk Condish I got yet either.

What's your take on the Tea Tree condish? I keep eyeing it but haven't tried it. Does it give that intense tingly feeling? What about slip? Overall softness?

What's your take on the Tea Tree condish? I keep eyeing it but haven't tried it. Does it give that intense tingly feeling? What about slip? Overall softness?

Haven't used either of them yet. I'll use the SAS tomorrow though. Maybe the Tea Tree over the weekend. We shall see. I'll report back w/ hopefully good results. :grin:

Back