As a child my hair was longer because....

pinkchocolatedaisy

A lot of us I have noticed had longer healthier hair in our younger years. I wonder why is that? And now I think I may know, well at least for myself. My mother would braid my hair a lot. I didn't get relaxers (until I was 10). She hardly put heat on my hair- like almost never. And I NEVER got to wear it down- well I had to beg! :lachen: So my hair was always protected....

I also noticed I care for my daughters hair better than my own pre-LHCF. I was co-washing her hair back then before I even knew of the term! LOL... And I don't put heat on her hair.... duh..... now I know. I also noticed that I think I should've been texlaxed all along those times I was relaxing. I was relaxing hair that wasn't new growth.:grin:

Ok enough babbling.

anyone else?

I just think I had long hair because my mother didn't do nothing to it. She didn't really wash it and she used blue crown grease and pink oil moisturizer on it :perplexed

My hair was so much thicker and healthier back then because my mother never used heat on it. Not until I was like 12. She would wash, condition and then braid my hair in one big braid or 6 or 8 braids, what I would call dukie braids (LOL). Alot of people use to tell me I look like rudie from the Cosby show because my hair was just like hers.

I guess I am the opposite. I never had long hair as a child.

me neither. from birth i never had a lot of hair, even growing up i looked like a little boy. my hair is the longest now that its ever been in my life, and its only SL

I didn't really have any hair until I was 4 or 5. I mean it was always thick, but I didn't get any length until then, but I think it was because it stayed braided and greased up and that's about it.

Honestly, I have no idea.

My mother started relaxing us early (I was relaxed at 3), and she always relaxed us from root to tip. She used the pressing comb once a week and the curling iron almost every day, and she started doing that when I started in elementary school.

-I didn't have a relaxer
-My hair was washed regularly and well maintained
-I ate better
-limited amount of heat was used

This topic has me so puzzled. lol My hair when I was young was down my back (until I begged my mother to let me cut it to my ears). Since at ease age 7 I got a relaxer every 3 months or so. Every 2 weeks I got a wash and blow dry then a couple times a week greased up with DAX. Which is why I don't put too much in to the good or bad debate of mineral oil and petroleum.

This topic has me so puzzled. lol My hair when I was young was down my back (until I begged my mother to let me cut it to my ears). Since at ease age 7 I got a relaxer every 3 months or so. Every 2 weeks I got a wash and blow dry then a couple times a week greased up with DAX. Which is why I don't put too much in to the good or bad debate of mineral oil and petroleum.

At the bolded:
That had to have been the biggest mistake I have ever made:nono:. I would have been WL by now if I had listened to my mom. She knew at the age of 10 I was not equipped to take care of my hair like that.

My hair was thick, long and healthy even though I had a relaxer at age 6 because my mom made sure that my hair was well conditioned and moisturized. I also think that because my hair was in braids all of the time it added to my growth retention.

My hair was MBL when I was a kid and my mom used to wash it once a week and then put it in 5 ponytails and twist them up with those barettes at the ends.. Then she would redo my hair every couple of days when it got messed up.. No heat.. plus she used a brush and DAX to keep it down...

I ate better. My parents didn't believe in going out to eat that often. Also, I was more active. I was always participating in P.E. when I was little; Mom and Dad wouldn't allow us to sit in front of the T.V. We were told to "go outside and play".:yep:

My Mama did it. Kept it braided and greased. Come junior high I said "Mammaaaaaa, stop putting all these baby styles in my hair and let me do it mysellllfff. *whine whine*"

She resisted at first, but after enough whining she gave in. My MBL hair promptly broke off to APL (within a year. :rolleyes:) where it hovered round about 'til I discovered the forums.

My memory is shot but everyone who knew when I was young, old me i had hair down to my butt (Even tho one of them was a pathological liar) but I just had to experiment with scissors.....

My hair was never really long. It was thick and healthy though. My mom started perming me when I was 5 or 6 :sad:. She would braid me most of the time and when I wasn't in braids, she would ponytail me in the morning before school and then plait and wrap it up before bed. In middle school when i started doing my own hair (curling EVERY single day and wearing tight ponytails) is when it all went downhill!

My mom just combed it daily. It was in two braids most of the time. She used Hair Rep, which is straight up petroleum jelly. When she pressed it, it stayed pressed forever even all through my ripping and running. I only wore it out at Easter and weddings and things like that although in seventh and eighth grade I did wear it out alot more and it didn't start breaking off. It must've been the Hair Rep (smile). My mom cooked and we had good nutritious meals and my parents allowed junk food in moderation and I do mean moderation. We had MacDonalds like twice a year, if that. As an adult, of course, there were the chemicals, the daily heat, the not very nutritious/nutritional meals and the stress. However, I am just about back there again after five years being relaxer-free and three solid years of researching and taking great care of my hair.

I was just about to do a spin off...I was very, very short. My hair would NEVER GROW OUT LONG! My mom would every weekend burn the he// out my scalp w/ the pressing comb if i wasn't relaxed or if i was relaxed i was burning til kingdom come, i rarely had braids and if i was in braids, my big cousin lena would braid my brains out my skull, and when my hair would grow from having brais in for so long, my hair was being cut suuuuppppeeeerrrr shorter and then fried to a curl. so growing up w/o hair has always been tough for me. My mom did not have the green thumb for growth. I had every 80 trend and every 90's worst nightmare. But growing up, it was me who treated my hair like it shoul be treated...more than what my mom was doing anyway, thx 2 my granny who say poo and co, let it dry and greased ur hair and brush 100x's. It wasn't the greatest but hey, growing up bald headed...it surely was a whole better than what my mom was putting me through.

Back