Are you still considered natural if...........

kweenameena

Okay so my mom told me that she is natural now because she hasn't had any chemicals in her hair since June. She said that her texturized hair has reverted and looks like her natural hair so she's natural.:perplexed

My bestfriend, who is on this forum (Hey....if you're reading this) agrees that if your hair reverts and you haven't relaxed in a year (and haven't cut off anything).....you're natural. :nono:I don't think so but I wanted to know what everyone else thought.........

Do some of you consider yourselves fully natural even though you still have relaxed ends?

If she still has the texturized hair, then I'd say no. You're only 100% natural if you have no chemicals in your hair.

"When hair is 100% void of chemicals then one has natural hair". That's the definition in my hair book and I agree.

See I agree with all of you....but my bestfriend says that she hasn't relaxed her hair in a year and it has fully reverted and it looks completely natural but I still don't consider her natural...but she considers herself natural. Makes me wonder about some of my hair idols on the board....j/k

To me, natural means no use of chemicals designed to alter texture. So, I would say that your friend is not natural. For the same reason, Cherokee, I would say that those who color their hair are natural. I define natural in terms of wearing one's own texture, not color, but there are those who do not consider those who color to be natural. Whatev. As long as you're not hurting my head of hair, life goes on.

Kweena they are not natural. Relaxed or texturized hair does not revert. It might have been processed less than they would have liked but hair that has had chemicals on it will never revert to it's natural state. All you can do is cut it off. My hair is natural, however I do have color (highlights in the front). I still consider myself natural.

Interesting thread.

Well, I'm natural with highlights (in my eyes, anyway :lachen:). I guess it all depends on the eye of the beholder.

Any chemicals that changes anything about the way your hair grows out of your scalp is NOT natural. JMO

Any chemicals that changes anything about the way your hair grows out of your scalp is NOT natural. JMO

Thank you, including the color.

Black women take a beating for weaves, extensions and relaxers, but you have white women (and others) doing the same thing when they color their hair blonde and the like.

They aren't any more natural than we are, but we're the only ones being thrashed! :mad:

i don't consider a natural with colour not natural, coloring is much different than a perm, so perm= not natural, color= still natural

Last edited:
Nope! They're not natural either.

Natural to me means NO chemicals of any kind... NADA! :yep:

So a quarter of my head (if that much is even highlighted) is not natural and the rest is? That doesn't make sense. :look: And on top of that my texture hasn't changed at all from the color.

I agree, I think you cannot have any chemicals in your hair to say your 100% natural. I have colors on my ends so I am not 100% natural. Henna to my knowledge is not a chemical so that color is actually natural. I also feel safer using it on my hair.

No she's not. I've retained a lot of my texture after texturizing and then texlaxing, however, that still doesn't make me natural no matter how much it still resembles my natural hair.

If her hair didn't grow out of her scalp that way then it's not natural! :yep:

No she's not. I've retained a lot of my texture after texturizing and then texlaxing, however, that still doesn't make me natural no matter how much it still resembles my natural hair.

If her hair didn't grow out of her scalp that way then it's not natural! :yep:

Thank you.... :look:

Okay so my mom told me that she is natural now because she hasn't had any chemicals in her hair since June. She said that her texturized hair has reverted and looks like her natural hair so she's natural.:perplexed

My bestfriend, who is on this forum (Hey....if you're reading this) agrees that if your hair reverts and you haven't relaxed in a year (and haven't cut off anything).....you're natural. :nono:I don't think so but I wanted to know what everyone else thought.........

Do some of you consider yourselves fully natural even though you still have relaxed ends?

Is your mom familiar with the term "transitioning"? I am a only asking because my mom is not, so I just tell her that I am going natural. Besides a lot of people stretch and say they are "stretching" but they do not consider themselves natural.

As for the look of your friend's and mom's hair, if it looks natural to the world then I guess that is alright isn't?...at least for them. Even some people who get their hair texturized look natural. I have found that most people (even some relaxed heads) believe that if your hair "looks" natural it is. If you want to be harcore about the definition of natural versus non-natural, then you would have consider the original texture and color and what not, but who would come up to you and ask?

So a quarter of my head (if that much is even highlighted) is not natural and the rest is? That doesn't make sense. :look: And on top of that my texture hasn't changed at all from the color.

You semi-natural... In fact, you're more natural than me, even though you can't tell half the time I have anything on my hair because I'm a "wash n' go" girl :)

Neither of us are natural, but you're closer to being natural since I have a month's worth of new growth :lol:

Back