What do you consider natural hair (in response to another thread)

Bublnbrnsuga said:
You summed it up very well. Next we will have a debate on the difference between napptural and natural:lachen:
:sekret: Can you make this whole statement on another site?

Thanks! Oh, I hope we don't have that debate, LOL. I like the Forum the
friendly, mostly happy place that is. What other site did you mean? (wink, wink:lachen:)

firecracker said:
nefertitiblack said:
And my hair is NEVER chemical free. I always have some sort of man-made conditioner, spray, lotion, gel or activator in it.

Hey why did you go there?

I think it is a slippery slope we are on. Today it is "you can't be natural with hair color because it's a chemical", tommorow it may be "you can't be natural unless you use all natural products." I wanted to make the point that if it's about "chemicals", per se, li'l ol' natural me is about as guilty as they come.

hey, yall are having me think relaxed hair is natural too! :lol: Maybe we can say all hair is natural if its growing out of your head. Lets just say hair is hair and call it a day.

Poohbear said:
hey, yall are having me think relaxed hair is natural too! :lol: Maybe we can say all hair is natural if its growing out of your head. Lets just say hair is hair and call it a day.

Okay, I had to laugh when I read this one. The debate is making me dizzy too. I didn't know there were so many different views.

lsw29 said:
I consider a person to have natural hair when they have no chemical applied to their hair to change its natural texture. I still believe that a person has natural hair even if they press or flat iron their hair because that is a temporary hairstyle.

I kind of have mixed reviews as it relates to color because a chemical is applied to the hair and in some cases it does change the texture of your hair. Basically, I don' know where I stand with color.

Some people have claimed that heat (presses, flat iron) did change the texture of their hair, so....??????? Heat may have the potential to change the hair also.

Poohbear said:

Hey Poohbear, that is so cute. ITA.

What do you consider natural hair? What is still considered natural to you?

1). Lightly texturized hair?

2). Hair with no relaxer/texturizer. Color and presses/flat iron okay

3). Hair with no relaxer and no color. Presses/flat iron okay

4). Hair that does not get pressed/flat ironed, colored, or relaxed

As for me, I would consider #2 still natural hair.

Technically, #4 is probably the best definition of natural hair, b/c it’s untouched “organic” hair. However, I would consider #2 to be “natural” except for color. Color is a chemical service, and I don’t think it can be considered “natural,” as it often changes the texture of someone’s hair just like a relaxer. Also, pressing (for those that always press) can chemically alter the structure of one’s hair too.

um. Natural is Natural. Natural means Natural. You know as in the way it grows out of your head. If its the same way that it came out of your follicles... then its natural.

The min you get color, relaxer, texturizer or ANYTHING.... its no longer natural.

You can have UN relaxed color treated hair.... but it still isn't NATRUAL. Its just UNrelaxed.

Well, I am totally confused on the whole thing now. When i first cut all of the perm off, I turned around and got a texturizer. I let it grow out and then i colored my unrexaled hair 2x a year for a year or two. Then i turned to henna and never colored with chemical dyes again. I haven't used relaxer since summer time 2003.

Someone without a relaxer is natural to me.

If a natural dyes their hair, so be it. If a person with dreads dyes their dreads, so be it. They're still natural to me. Also, IMO, a person with a flat iron/press is still natural as well.

For me, styles don't change whether or not a person is natural. Flat iron/press on natural hair, the person is still a natural. Some might say because the hair has been straightened temporarily, it's no longer natural. Well my hair doesn't naturally grow in twists, it is a style that requires manipulation to get it that way, but I am still natural. Even if a natural burns their hair straight, they are still natural...just with damaged natural hair. Just like someone with damaged relaxed hair.

What do you consider natural hair? What is still considered natural to you?

1). Lightly texturized hair?

2). Hair with no relaxer/texturizer. Color and presses/flat iron okay

4). Hair that does not get pressed/flat ironed, colored, or relaxed

As for me, I would consider #2 still natural hair.

Hair that has no chemicals whatsoever.

Interesting question, and very individual responses. To me, all hair grown out of one's head is natural (that is, un-augmented hair). I think I said it before, but wheat that has been harvested, ground, cooked, and served with cream though we call it “oatmeal” is still wheat. ;)

Now, to the distinctions: there is "natural", and there is "Natural" (capital “N”). A Natural head of hair, to me, is hair that has not been altered in anyway through chemicals, dye, or heat. Maybe my definition is quite strict, but this is honestly why I never referred to myself as a Natural, even with chemical-free hair, as I sometimes straightened or colored it.

Clearly, it is a very individual thing! :yep:

I think that natural hair is hair that has not been permenantly chemically altered. I think pressing your hair would not exclude you from being natural. Women who straighten their hair would be considered natural/not natural depending on what day of the week it was. I don't think it is that easy to stop being natural or to become natural. Now being Napptural-that is a whole differnt topic.

I vote..................

If you have pressed so often that your texture is not what is growing out of your scalp then you're not natural - you have permanently changed your hair type - albeit damaged.

I think I said it before, but wheat that has been harvested, ground, cooked, and served with cream though we call it “oatmeal” is still wheat. ;)[/quote]

Off topic...........

You mean oats or actually wheat - what about all those people whom are intolerant to wheat but can eat oats? - ie Quaker Oats are actually wheat?

Or is this another US/UK misinterpretation on my part of what you mean by oatmeal? :ohwell:

Back