Are you still considered natural if...........

Thats a good way of putting it.

If a store was full of artificially made juice, then i would put the natural orange juice with the food coloring in the natural section. It would imo be considered natural compared to all of the other juices made with chemicals that is the majority, but of course the natural juice with no food coloring in it would be 100% natural.

Thats how i feel anywy. Somebody who has their natural hair texture def. doesnt go into the category with people who use relaxers, texturizers and perms. They go "more" into the natural section/category. Even though they are not "as natural" as someone with no color on their hair. :ohwell:

I understand this....but my main question is about texture and relaxers.
If your relaxed texture seems to "feel and look" like your newgrowth...are you considered a natural head?

i remember when i was natural 2 years ago...i had dyed my locs...are some ppl saying that i wasnt natural because my locs were dyed black? I can see if someone says natural dyed hair isnt virgin..but to say just because someone lightens or darkens their locs/natural hair that they are not natural...that is pure fart...IMO

I understand this....but my main question is about texture and relaxers.
If your relaxed texture seems to "feel and look" like your newgrowth...are you considered a natural head?

To answer the original question:

"no"

And on top of that I often wonder bout folk who say their newgrowth looks like their natural hair. I mean if it's like that then why relax?

Here's my controversial statement for the day - There is no natural hair type that looks like relaxed hair. Type 3 & 4 relaxed hair is straight, but it doesn't look or feel like natural type 1 hair.

"no"

And on top of that I often wonder bout folk who say their newgrowth looks like their natural hair. I mean if it's like that then why relax?

Here's my controversial statement for the day - There is no natural hair type that looks like relaxed hair. Type 3 & 4 relaxed hair is straight, but it doesn't look or feel like natural type 1 hair.
I agree....

Nothing controversial about that, it's true. Relaxers break down the bonds of the hair, creating the straight texture. I don't think any Black people have hair that would look relaxed. Relaxed hair is different from type 1 hair just by virtue of the existence of the bonds in type 1 hair.

"no"

This is so true.

I always considered natural vs not natural solely in reference to texture not color. Then JCoily threw in that dang orange juice analogy and now I'm like hmm:rolleyes:

Even though technically it probably does, I still say color doesnt count. Only because I think 99.9999% of the time when people refer to natural they are talking ONLY about texture.

It's hard to tell a person "umm no - you're not natural". My GF swears she's a natural because her last texturizer was a year ago. She didn't BC. :nono:

I agree....

But then here is my question....Do you have to do the BC?

In her opinion, you don't have to BC and she says that not everyone that goes natural has to cut off their relaxed ends. Especially if it blends with the new growth.

My BFF forgot that I remember her relaxing her hair earlier this summer:look:

Yes, you have to BC to be all natural. Until then you're transitioning. JCoily, you made a point with the food coloring and the orange juice. I identify the word natural with just texture, not color. But I even thought that before I colored my hair. I mean technically it's not right because color is a chemical but we all use chemicals in our hair to some degree if we use products.

I agree....

But then here is my question....Do you have to do the BC?

In her opinion, you don't have to BC and she says that not everyone that goes natural has to cut off their relaxed ends. Especially if it blends with the new growth.

My BFF forgot that I remember her relaxing her hair earlier this summer:look:

I would think that you would have to do the BC, unless you just want all of your relaxed ends to eventually BREAK off....who wants breakage? Not I, said the fly.

Maybe, as someone mentioned earlier, there is a difference between "natural" and "virgin."

I think that deserves to be repeated.

Virgin can always be natural, but natural can't always be virgin (you have your natural texture, but unnatural color).

Hope that make sense.

Perm/Relaxer/Color/Henna/Bleach/Rinse/etc... your hair is not natural.

People are doing all kinds of stuff to their hair to loosen the texture like henna/coconut lime/formaldehyde/etc and then say they are natural.

Sorry. NOT NATURAL.

I have dyed my hair many times and I know that dye alters the chemical makeup/texture of your hair. So technically I'm not even natural. If you coat your hair with something like Brazilian keratin, funeral home drain juice, or fermented red mud and beetle dung, it still doesn't mean you are natural :lachen:

People are gonna be boiling up mushrooms from the forest to take their 4a hair to 1a and bring out the golden highlights but still wanna be natural.

:look:

People are doing all kinds of stuff to their hair to loosen the texture like henna/coconut lime/formaldehyde/etc and then say they are natural.

Sorry. NOT NATURAL.

I have dyed my hair many times and I know that dye alters the chemical makeup/texture of your hair. So technically I'm not even natural. If you coat your hair with something like Brazilian keratin, funeral home drain juice, or fermented red mud and beetle dung, it still doesn't mean you are natural :lachen:

People are gonna be boiling up mushrooms from the forest to take their 4a hair to 1a and bring out the golden highlights but still wanna be natural.

I have not had that experience with dyeing my hair the texture doesn't change. Just look at my siggy- my Fotki- My attempt at a roller set. It could be the formulation that you are using- or the porousness( just guessing ) of your hair It may even be the brand you are using that loosens up your curl pattern- . If it did I would not color my hair. I color my hair to cause I'm vain and I want showcase the different kinks coils,twisty zigs and zags and curvature in my crown. I agree- I'm no Virgin- but the techniques, apparatus and products that i use are for highly textured hair that is unlike any other in the diaspora. My hair even blown dry- still naps up in five minutes. I'm speaking for myself and myself only- If you want to ask a question about colored natural hair- I may be a useful resource . I'm natural, I'm colored and I proudly admit I'm no Virgin
The only gripe I really have is why does anyone care unless its to get information on how to manage, style and encourage the growth of whatever comes out of their scalp. You are allowed your opinion and I am allowed mine. But it shouldn't be on a thread for hair products and recommendations, Put it in the same thread as "the she talks like shes white but she's black", or "is my hair good cause its straight"? thread or is my mama and uncle having an affair thread- whatever! or The I love midgets section anywhere but here and If any one wants to be militant about being natural please go to NP.com. Many are there to welcome you. Thhhhhhhe Thhhats all FFFFFolks!

Sorry. NOT NATURAL.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Sorry. NOT NATURAL.

i really think you were trying to kill me...:lachen:

Sorry. NOT NATURAL.

roflmao.gif

I have not had that experience with dyeing my hair the texture doesn't change.

Just look at my siggy- my Fotki- My attempt at a roller set. It could be the formulation that you are using- or the porousness( just guessing ) of your hair It may even be the brand you are using that loosens up your curl pattern- . If it did I would not color my hair. I color my hair to cause I'm vain and I want showcase the different kinks coils,twisty zigs and zags and curvature in my crown. I agree- I'm no Virgin- but the techniques, apparatus and products that i use are for highly textured hair that is unlike any other in the diaspora. My hair even blown dry- still naps up in five minutes. I'm speaking for myself and myself only- If you want to ask a question about colored natural hair- I may be a useful resource . I'm natural, I'm colored and I proudly admit I'm no Virgin
The only gripe I really have is why does anyone care unless its to get information on how to manage, style and encourage the growth of whatever comes out of their scalp. You are allowed your opinion and I am allowed mine. But it shouldn't be on a thread for hair products and recommendations, Put it in the same thread as "the she talks like shes white but she's black", or "is my hair good cause its straight"? thread or is my mama and uncle having an affair thread- whatever! or The I love midgets section anywhere but here and If any one wants to be militant about being natural please go to NP.com. Many are there to welcome you. Thhhhhhhe Thhhats all FFFFFolks!

First off, bleach and any lifting agent changes the texture of your hair. Depositing colors coat the shaft and can tame fly-aways, smooth the cuticle, etc. It's science.

After that first block of text that I just separated up there in your quote... and all your random comparisons and comments on racism, self hatred, incest/militants etc and whatever... I really have no idea of where you went, are going, came from, etc with the rest of your post. I don't see how it applies at all.

If your hair is chemically treated to alter it's appearance - color/texture PERIOD... it's not natural.

Why do people always need to associate a certain level of nappiness with being natural? I know many people from 1a-4b who are 100% natural.

I identify the word natural with just texture, not color. But I even thought that before I colored my hair. I mean technically it's not right because color is a chemical but we all use chemicals in our hair to some degree if we use products.

Good point. Even plain old tap water is technically a chemical.

I'm wondering if people who aren't familiar with transitioning and believe their hair has "reverted" maybe don't know what their true natural hair is actually like?

Good point. Even plain old tap water is technically a chemical.

I'm wondering if people who aren't familiar with transitioning and believe their hair has "reverted" maybe don't know what their true natural hair is actually like?

Exactly. All of these products we use have chemicals in them. And you're right they probably don't know what their true hair texture looks like. I sure didn't. When I stretched my relaxers a few years ago, my new growth looked a lot different than my natural hair does now. My hair even looks different now than it did when I BCed over a year ago. I believe it was scab hair and it has all been trimmed off now. I remember my mother getting on me about my edges being nappy when I was stretching and wearing weaves in college. But a year or two later she didn't say anything even after I asked her if they looked nappy. Please believe she would have let me know. :lol:

Why do people always need to associate a certain level of nappiness with being natural? I know many people from 1a-4b who are 100% natural.[/quote]
Because for this "people" accepting my texture isntt a fad. Nappiness is a term that is talking about highly textured hair ;No Andre hair type 1 2 and some 3's will never call their hair nappy. Im also a natural beauty- I still use Vaseline on my rusty elbows

Seriously Suerte believe what you want- The world and all of the things in it are at your disposal to comment and feel however you wish. I just dont agree- its that simple.:blah::blah:
Buena Suerte, Suerte

Because for this "people" accepting my texture isntt a fad. Nappiness is a term that is talking about highly textured hair ;No Andre hair type 1 2 and some 3's will never call their hair nappy. Im also a natural beauty- I still use Vaseline on my rusty elbows

Seriously Suerte believe what you want- The world and all of the things in it are at your disposal to comment and feel however you wish. I just dont agree- its that simple.:blah::blah:
Buena Suerte, Suerte

You went way WAY overboard. Especially with them incestuous comments. How do we get from hair...to incest? If you are seeking help for some issues in your past...I'm sorry but I can't help you because I am not a psychologist.

It just sounds like you have some issues with your own hair texture based off all the stuff you just said.

And I know many people with 2-3 range hair who refer to their hair as nappy. My own hair is pretty much a 3b/c and this mess can get VERY nappy. Nappy is not a bad word. It is okay to be nappy and happy. I know some people with straight hair who call their hair nappy when it tangles up. Straight hair can be extremely coarse.

Okay. You dye your hair. You wanna tell yourself you are natural. So tell yourself that. You put stuff with a lifting or bleaching agent of some sort or ammonia or peroxide or whatever in your hair with the intention of altering it - and you want to call yourself natural. Fine. Free country. I'll call myself Toyota and you can call yourself natural, and the next person can call themselves Mickey Mouse.

You just seriously took it up the creek and around the pond with that first response. And I am not typically someone who gets taken aback by words, but dang. Self hatred, white people and incest is what was in your mind and came out in your first response...so be it.

You went way WAY overboard. Especially with them incestuous comments. How do we get from hair...to incest? If you are seeking help for some issues in your past...I'm sorry but I can't help you because I am not a psychologist.

It just sounds like you have some issues with your own hair texture based off all the stuff you just said.

And I know many people with 2-3 range hair who refer to their hair as nappy. My own hair is pretty much a 3b/c and this mess can get VERY nappy. Nappy is not a bad word. It is okay to be nappy and happy. I know some people with straight hair who call their hair nappy when it tangles up. Straight hair can be extremely coarse.

Okay. You dye your hair. You wanna tell yourself you are natural. So tell yourself that. You put stuff with a lifting or bleaching agent of some sort or ammonia or peroxide or whatever in your hair with the intention of altering it - and you want to call yourself natural. Fine. Free country. I'll call myself Toyota and you can call yourself natural, and the next person can call themselves Mickey Mouse.

You just seriously took it up the creek and around the pond with that first response. And I am not typically someone who gets taken aback by words, but dang. Self hatred, white people and incest is what was in your mind and came out in your first response...so be it.

Suerte, I understand what you're saying. But everybody has not accepted the word nappy. To many of us, it still has a stigma or negative connotation attached to it. And some people feel like Type 4's have ownership over it. Kind of like the other N word. Some people embrace it, and others don't or take offense.

This has turn into an interesting conversation. :spinning:

It sure has. My initial post in this thread...while I meant it, it was mostly just humor...but apparently a certain someone has some issues totally unrelated to hair that have spilled onto the pages.

Back