Are You Breaking The Hair Rules?

esoterica

i certainly seem to be in some respects. For example, I do not allow my hair to "rest" between sew-ins. I usually relax the same day I get it removed, and it gets put back in that same weekend. During the 6 weeks it's in i wash every 3 days but i don't moisturise my scalp or hair between the tracks. i can only deep condition every 6/8 weeks when i get the sew in removed. despite this i have made good progress with constant sew-ins in the last 2+ years. what are you doing that goes against the rules?

Last edited:
LOL! I'm bad sometimes, lol. :lachen: I use some conditioners with -cones in them. I dont sleep with a bonnet or in a protective style:eek:

I use grease and conditioners with -cones and I refuse to spend double digits on conditioners and shampoos. It seemed like a "nappy rule" at one point, that all of your hair care products had to cost $20 or more per bottle and be made from half the bark and twigs in the Amazon rain forest.

Fresh squeezed tree frog in every drop.

gloomgeisha said:
I use grease and conditioners with -cones and I refuse to spend double digits on conditioners and shampoos. It seemed like a "nappy rule" at one point, that all of your hair care products had to cost $20 or more per bottle and be made from half the bark and twigs in the Amazon rain forest.

Fresh squeezed tree frog in every drop

:lachen: I rarely cover my hair at night. I use whatever products I feel like at that moment. It could change everytime I wash. I wash and DC once a week but I don't oil my hair or use grease. I don't use a leave in. I don't co wash, baggy or bun.

gloomgeisha said:

:lachen::lachen::lol::rofl:

gloomgeisha said:

Youre my kind of girl!!! Love it!:lachen:

I use conditioner with cones, I haven't trimmed my hair in over a year, I will probably not stretch past 16 weeks ever again...I think that is all:look:

gloomgeisha said:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:TOO FUNNY!!!

Still using my flat irons about once a week (not this week tho). Im sure theres more, Im just not thinking right now.

I don't trim. I think that's about it.

Oh no wait I have hands in hair syndrome. When I'm at home I am constantly rubbing my scalp, playing with my NG etc.

gloomgeisha said:

Hmmmph! If some mess goes down I'll be able to survive off my conditioners. :lachen:

I use oil on my braids--A LOT OF IT!
I prefer the pressing comb to the flat iron.
I condition my braids (every 2 days)

Last edited:
Glamourous said:
I use heat 2 times a week.

I do too. :sekret:

My regimine is just like Cathy Howse's. I airydry and flat iron my hair with every wash which is every Sunday and Wednesday.

I notice that as my hair gets longer, I can see cute wash and wear no heat styles in my future. :D I look forward to that. I need to cut some of this heat.

Last edited:
gloomgeisha said:

:lachen: Truer words have never been spoken. :lachen:

I use shampoos that have sls
I brush my hair when it's wet
I use hair grease and hair gel

Those are the only things I do that are "wrong"

hersheyskiss said:
:lachen: Truer words have never been spoken. :lachen:

I use shampoos that have sls
I brush my hair when it's wet
I use hair grease and hair gel

Those are the only things I do that are "wrong"

Girl, how do you do that!!??

Your hair must be super strong!! Mine could not handle that. :nono:

I contend that I know my hair and I know what works for me and what doesn't. The rules are a great starting point... from there you have to tweak to what works for you. I don't feel bad about the rules I break! ;)

SkinnyMocah said:
I contend that I know my hair and I know what works for me and what doesn't. The rules are a great starting point... from there you have to tweak to what works for you. I don't feel bad about the rules I break! ;)

Well said.

I don't feel bad at all for anything I do because it is working well for me at this stage. I know I will not get to the long lengths with all my heat use, though. Right now it works for me and my hair is doing well at this stage. No guilt at all.

Actually I think there are many that "break the rules" - they just won't admit it.

:)

OnAHairQuest said:
I will never give up my brush

even if I end up looking like my sig pic

I concur. I also comb just about everyday. I think I have a complex about giving up the comb....makes me scurrrred:ohwell:

Up until about 2 weeks ago, I used to blow dry my hair after letting if air dry and then flat iron is straight after every washing- 2 times a week (now the only heat I put in from roller wrapping after every washing. Shoot, I remember a time back in the day when I used to flat iron my hair everyday! Yikes!:eek: :eek: ).

I'm sure some of my conditioners have cones in them but they work for me and my hair has thrived. Just found out that the daily oil moisturizing hair lotion has mineral oil in, they tricked me by giving it that scientific name parrafin liquidum or somethin like that. But my hair loves it, has never been more moisturized, and thrives off of it. We all break some of the "rules" but if your hair responds positively and thrives, then do what works for you. It's about knowing your hair.

SkinnyMocah said:

ITA.

I use cones.

I use moisturizer has that paraffinum in it, too. My hair likes it, I'm using it.

I use a brush on wet hair. I tried Kathy Howse's no-brush method for 72 hours, my hair was not happy with me. I am gentler with my brush, though.

KiniKakes said:
I relax every 8 weeks, which i know is hugely taboo on this board. :lol:

Me too, but I just made 9 weeks. I doubt I'll be able to stretch longer.

BTW, KiniKakes, I've been meaning to say I love the pics of you! You're so pretty, and I'm loving that summer dress!

sareca said:
I use oil on my braids--A LOT OF IT!
I prefer the pressing comb to the flat iron.
I condition my braids (every 2 days)

I use oil on my braids too, and I am not about to let up anytime soon.
I get micros when I can.
I don't wrap.
I don't baggy.

***I don't always wrap my hair up especially if I've been drinking that same night.
***Sometimes I go 3 weeks without washing when I flatiron my hair.

***I don't read ingredients on products

***I sleep on a cotton pillowcase at the moment

And my hair still looks and feels good!! :lol:

OnAHairQuest said:
I will never give up my brush

even if I end up looking like my sig pic

LOLOLOL - the pic in your siggy!!!:lachen:

I won't give up my brush either. I also use shampoos with SLS but don't tell nobody!! :sekret:

Since my touch up, I've been coming my hair like mad. I LOVE the feeling of the comb gliding in my hair without snagging on NG. I get a touchup and I don't know how to act.

I use grease with mineral oil

My fave conditioner is loaded with cones

Back