Are We Still Loving Karen's Body Beautiful?

Theresamonet

Are her products still effective? I remember loving her leave ins/moisturizers, but this was back in 2008-2010 when I was relaxed. They made my hair super soft and silky, but I do remember the feeling not lasting very long. :scratchch Since I'm now relaxed again, I was thinking about revisiting this brand.

Can anyone still rave about these products? Particularly relaxed heads?

I paid $17 for some moisturizer from this line and I hated it. It separated in the jar and looks exactly like some grits with butter on top. If I hadn't thrown away the receipt I would've taken it back by now.

She has had problems with product consistency and customer service which may be why you don't hear about her as often as in the past. All the same though you can find her in Target which makes her products convenient, and when you actually do find a product consistent with former standards most people tend to give good reviews.

You still have to pay a grip though, that is why I will never dabble in her line. The more hair I have the less sense it makes to spend 25 dollars on 4-6 oz worth of product.

Her products were fine but her customer service was horrible. I won't pay someone to be rude to me.

Relaxed Head Here:

Yes....I still love Luscious Locs Hair Mask. :love:

I just picked up a couple Jars from Monique's Natural Hair Boutique on Clearance for about $8.00 & some change.:look:

I also still like Sweet Ambrosia which I think replaced the Super Silky Leave-In.

I'd like to try the Super Butter to see how it compares with the Original, but have never purchased it. If I see it on Sale, I'll get it.:yep:

Did not care for the Secret Weapon Pre-Rx at all. It was a waste of $25.00 (4oz).:perplexed

That was also on Clearance at Monique's Hair Boutique for $8.00 - but it was so horrible, I didn't even want to revisit it.:ohwell:

I tried KBB early in my journey. I've tried the Sweet Ambrosia, Butterlove, Creamylicious, and Supa Dupa Hair cream or whatever it's called.

The only reason I liked them were because she had great scents but performance wise they were just okay, nothing to brag about.

It's not a line I plan to revisit though.

Yea I'm still a huge fan of the Luscious Locs dc. I haven't used anything else in the line recently.

I think she is in Target now.

I haven't seen KBB at any Target I've been to.

This is the first natural line I tried when I started my natural hair journey, so I'm kinda say to hear that they've kinda fallen off. The only reason I stop using her products was because my natural hair needed richer products.

IDareT'sHair (and anyone else who wants to share)
What "natural" lines would you recommend for a relaxed head? I'm particularly in search of great leave-ins & DCs.
I put natural in quotes because I don't really have any ingredient aversions; as long as the products keep my hair soft and moisturized for a reasonable amount of time.

Oh... And won't have me walking around greasing up everything and forehead shinning bright like diamond.

Last edited:
i tried to like the sweet ambrosia leave in (I'm natural), but the vegetable wax ingredient leaved my hair too coated :sad:

I just bought one of the KBB butters over at Target for about $15. I am in love with the butter so far and it smells divine. I cowash and apply the butter throughout, then leave it in a curly ponytail. Two thumbs up from me!

I haven't tried any of their other products

There was a time I used to use KBB exclusively back when I discovered her in 08'. I was relaxed then and I L O V E D her products. Nothing I tried compared to her conditioners, mask, poo bar and leave ins. I even liked her oil. The mask was the BOMBBBBB in my hair. Whatever formulation she used I've never had a conditioner quite like it. The consistency was light, yet its like it softened my relaxed hair like no other. I can't even really describe it, it used to really penetrate my hair and not weight it down. I'd go down to the store out here in BK and buy my products if I didn't feel like ordering online.

The formula of her products has changed for sure. I wouldn't patronize her again and spend that type of money for a line that has been watered down and there are a ton of competitors now.

Theresamonet

I like & use just about every thing the Natural Ladies are using except anything that is a Twisting Product or stuff that has hold that may be for Braid-Outs/Twist Outs (I avoid).

I also stay away from most Puddings, even though quite a few "Relaxed Heads" are using Annabelles Perfect Blends Pudding (I haven't tried it) but Relaxed Heads are using it and loving it.

But the Lines I enjoy as a Relaxed head (in no particular order):

Hairveda
SheScentIt
Marie Dean
HydroQuench Systems
Claudies Revitalizer
Silk Dreams (always a nice choice for a Relaxed Head)
Darcy's Botanicals
Annabelles Perfect Blends
LACE Naturals
The Pomade Shop
Bel Nouvo
BlueRozeBeauty
b.a.s.k.
Jessicurl
Karens Body Beautiful
Naturelle Grow
MyHoneyChild
DevaCurl
BeeMine
Afroveda
Keravada
Koils By Nature
Camille Rose
Kizuri Beauty (discontinued)

Just about all of them have things that work extremely well on Relaxed Heads.

Wasn't Kern the one with that super bizarre CS fiasco? A customer received her box mangled, products poorly packaged...when she sent an email to KBB they responded with a video of someone packing her products (which is SUPER weird) instead of just offering to replace the products. Shame on them too because I'm sure they're big enough to take the hit. The whole thing was just a strange mess.

Re: Are We Still Loving Karen's Body Beautiful

Wasn't Kern the one with that super bizarre CS fiasco? A customer received her box mangled, products poorly packaged...when she sent an email to KBB they responded with a video of someone packing her products (which is SUPER weird) instead of just offering to replace the products. Shame on them too because I'm sure they're big enough to take the hit. The whole thing was just a strange mess.

:lol: yep that was KBB.

There were also complaints about terrible customer service at her now-closed shop in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. I ventured over there on a random day off sometime in 2008 and picked up the Hair Milk, Hair Cream, Hair Butter and some oil blend. The cream and butter both ended up being too heavy for my hair, but the worst part was how obnoxiously strong all the scents were. Like almost nauseatingly sickly sweet. I ended up putting pretty much all my KBB purchases on a swap board and called it a day.

I will say that the shop associate was very nice and helpful to me during the visit. I remember being shocked to read online she was one of the employees specifically called out for being snobby and rude.

At Target you can get new sample sizes and I tried the Super Duper moisturizing cream. I love it! Leaves my hair moisturized and super shiny.

At Target you can get new sample sizes and I tried the Super Duper moisturizing cream. I love it! Leaves my hair moisturized and super shiny.

I just picked up a sample size of the Super Duper Hydrating Hair Cream too and I like it too! I used it on my blowdried hair before I got my braids done yesterday and it moisturized my hair well without reverting it since it does not contain water. I'll definitely pick up the full size of it!

Theresamonet

I like & use just about every thing the Natural Ladies are using except anything that is a Twisting Product or stuff that has hold that may be for Braid-Outs/Twist Outs (I avoid).

I also stay away from most Puddings, even though quite a few "Relaxed Heads" are using Annabelles Perfect Blends Pudding (I haven't tried it) but Relaxed Heads are using it and loving it.

But the Lines I enjoy as a Relaxed head (in no particular order):

Hairveda
SheScentIt
Marie Dean
HydroQuench Systems
Claudies Revitalizer
Silk Dreams (always a nice choice for a Relaxed Head)
Darcy's Botanicals
Annabelles Perfect Blends
LACE Naturals
The Pomade Shop
Bel Nouvo
BlueRozeBeauty
b.a.s.k.
Jessicurl
Karens Body Beautiful
Naturelle Grow
MyHoneyChild
DevaCurl
BeeMine
Afroveda
Keravada
Koils By Nature
Camille Rose
Kizuri Beauty (discontinued)

Just about all of them have things that work extremely well on Relaxed Heads.

IDareT'sHair
I just tried to order from Hydroquench Systems because they're advertising a 50% off sale. Well at check out it stated that the 50% code is expired, even though it is on the front page of the website and their Facebook.

I sent them a message, but I hate that. I need to fill up my cart, pay and get out before I come to my senses. Now I have time to think about it. :rolleyes:

Also, I tried to call the phone number listed on the website and it was disconnected. Is this vendor shady?

Last edited:
Theresamonet

That's interesting.:scratchch

That Sale has been going on forever. Me & *CherryPie* were pm'ing about it not too long ago.:grin:

In cases like that, they usually honor it. Keep us posted on her response.

Theresamonet

That's interesting.:scratchch

That Sale has been going on forever. Me & *CherryPie* were pm'ing about it not too long ago.:grin:

In cases like that, they usually honor it. Keep us posted on her response.

*CherryPie* suggested I get the slip styling cream. My sister recently got the sampler pack, and loved everything. So I decided to haul... But I guess not if they don't get back to me soon.

Back