are the men in d.c. really THAT bad?

weaveadiva

i've read many threads (here and on multiple forums) about the men in the d.c. dating pool

mainly that they have a sense of entitlement but have nothing going on for themselves

is it really that bad? i'm thinking of moving there after graduation and please believe a sista will be looking to date :yep:

Last edited:
My male friends say DC and Atlanta are like being a kid in a candy store...."what do I want today?".

DC = Attractive successful men in an even bigger pool of attractive successful women. Which means that the men can be more choosy because there's more to choose amongst, therefore giving him less impotus to settle down.

Casual dating should be fun...dating seriously may get difficult...

Been wondering the same thing. I should be moving there soon. From what I've heard tho, DC is not as bad as Atlanta. People claim the pool of attractive successful women is smaller than Atl.

My homeboy who is from DC and lives there now keeps going on and on about how much play he thinks I will get in DC. I've really only heard online about DC being bad. I am thinking maybe its not hard to meet men/go on dates in DC. But online, it seems women are saying the issue is that the men do not want to settle down.

For me, just going on dates at all would be a refreshing change. I just want to get out and explore the city and surrounding cities and socialize. Not pressed to be settled down. I think it will be fun. :yep:

Last edited:
My male friends say DC and Atlanta are like being a kid in a candy store...."what do I want today?".

DC = Attractive successful men in an even bigger pool of attractive successful women. Which means that the men can be more choosy because there's more to choose amongst, therefore giving him less impotus to settle down.

This is very true ! I have experienced this myself.

^^ i agree. i live here now and am originally from atlanta. the men are successful and have things going for themselves, but the one's i've come across are not looking to settle down as another poster stated. kind of a double edge sword....

Casual dating should be fun...dating seriously may get difficult...

Born and raised in DC and I can say I totally agree. Although the broke men in DC are just as picky!!! What can I say, he men where I am from are totally conceited!

and when i say DC, I mean the surrounding areas -Maryland, DC and Virginia. It's almost like they want you to sweat them, and blkbeauty- you are absolutely correct. even the broke ones got a nerve to be picky. it's a nice place, but i'd much rather be back home in Jersey (only if the property taxes and newports weren't so dayum high!)

you almost have to do the reverse. i gave some advice to a friend and told her to tell men she's looking for a LTR and see what happens. well, once she started playin "their game" everything changed. oh, since she was hard to get and catch up with, now they wanna stake a claim. she had so many men to choose from lolol

Reactions: JFK
They are not bad, but they are running the #s game here. From my experience and I’ve only been here 3 years and noticed that they do have a sense of entitlement and give off a “compete for me” vibe. However, if you’re in the same circles (i.e. professional programs & societies/social circles) I’ve seen the settle down #s higher in those instances.

My friends that went to professional schools in the area snagged long-term boos under the let’s get $ act. At any rate most of the men I meet here are from other areas…love the country boys in the city! They are more likely to settle down then the locals imo.

I never had a problem dating in DC, but when it came to settling down with a man of caliber and common sense and values... I ended up in the midwest.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

I lived in DC for a while and never had an issue with this. Even though I was in a relationship for the majority of that time, even when I went out I never wanted for attention. I think it depends on where you go and the activities you do. The ratio of educated black men is just better than other places in my opinion.

it's not hard at all to find a date in DC. Guys are everywhere and fairly aggressive. But the DC mentality amongst blacks is very different than other places I've been. DC is a very pretentious city. It's about who has what title, where do you work, what's your status and yada yada. Men know that women outnumber them here, so until they're ready to settle down they feel like they can try and see what they can get until you call it quits. They also know that there's another girl out there that will prolly do what you wont. I mean i've had two guys that wanted to get in a serious relationship with me so far and my problem is that they just aren't my type of guys for and I'm not really into them like I thought I would be.

I'm all about dating around and weighing your options and taking your time. However, I was in a serious relationship for four years while in college so I'm not trying to get boo'ed up right away. I happen to like my freedom, I just dont tolerate dumb ish.

To sum it up, they think they're cuter than they really are, if they have connections they really think they're the ish, and they aren't used to a more "southern belle" idea of dating. They think all black women want them and think they're special if they got a job and a car. True story--i had a couple guy friends tell me they think they're hot ish in these streets because they got a degree, a car, and a job. You'll find a lot of single early to mid 30 yr old men out here.

Well I knew a guy who blamed his cheating ways on moving to DC. He and his wife moved there from North Carolina. He said he got there and there were just so many beautiful EASY women. He cheated on his wife repeatedly over the next 20 years. So, from a cheater's perspective, it's a place where you go if you want to ruin your marriage *smh*

it's not hard at all to find a date in DC. Guys are everywhere and fairly aggressive. But the DC mentality amongst blacks is very different than other places I've been. DC is a very pretentious city. It's about who has what title, where do you work, what's your status and yada yada. Men know that women outnumber them here, so until they're ready to settle down they feel like they can try and see what they can get until you call it quits. They also know that there's another girl out there that will prolly do what you wont. I mean i've had two guys that wanted to get in a serious relationship with me so far and my problem is that they just aren't my type of guys for and I'm not really into them like I thought I would be.

I'm all about dating around and weighing your options and taking your time. However, I was in a serious relationship for four years while in college so I'm not trying to get boo'ed up right away. I happen to like my freedom, I just dont tolerate dumb ish.

To sum it up, they think they're cuter than they really are, if they have connections they really think they're the ish, and they aren't used to a more "southern belle" idea of dating. They think all black women want them and think they're special if they got a job and a car. True story--i had a couple guy friends tell me they think they're hot ish in these streets because they got a degree, a car, and a job. You'll find a lot of single early to mid 30 yr old men out here.

You ain't neva lied. i told one guy that i work da drive thru at da McDonalds on Georgia Avenue (the one by Howard U). you should have seen the look on his face. Priceless. i was so tickled. i told him to c'mon thru on his lunch break and that i'll hook him up wif some goodies...

they are big on what you have, where do you work, what do you do, etc. Where you live, what kinda car you drive, etc. in reality, those men usually aren't hittin on nuffin.

I have a friend in Northern VA who complains about men either being stuck up, men who still live at home spendin their mama's money (shameful), or the worst ... those who live with baby mamas and girlfirends they fail to mention. However, she is continually meeting men wherever she goes, which still increases her chances of coming across the right one. She also doesn't have the best filter as to what men she should leave completely alone, her radar isn't fully on point. She also doesn't put a lot of effort into mixing with men in her field or taking advantage of all the black business networks in the DC area.

You ain't neva lied. i told one guy that i work da drive thru at da McDonalds on Georgia Avenue (the one by Howard U). you should have seen the look on his face. Priceless. i was so tickled. i told him to c'mon thru on his lunch break and that i'll hook him up wif some goodies...

they are big on what you have, where do you work, what do you do, etc. Where you live, what kinda car you drive, etc. in reality, those men usually aren't hittin on nuffin.

Yea, people name drop A LOT. And it's hard not to get caught up in it. When I first moved up here I found it soooo tacky. People were like oh I have a business meeting with Fannie Mae or the Department of Defense and such and such. And I'm like ni**a you're prolly just a vendor trying to sell them some snacks for the machines in their lobby. Stop it!

Also, I know A LOT of young people around my age (early 20's) that still live with their parents in the suburbs of VA or MD and pay no rent! Honestly the pay up here is so high because of the cost of living that if you don't have to pay living expenses it's at least an extra 15k added on to your paycheck. And these ni**as are the ones out here stunting with the benzs and luxury vehicles. Mind you I have my little Kia Spectra and I'm perfectly happy with it. I'ma ride that sapsucker until the wheels fall off just because I like not having a car note, ya feel me?

Last edited:
Short answer

Dating is easy. I'm enjoying the no commitment thing so its a breeze for me.

Dating for marriage? Eh.....

In short, yes. If you're just into casually dating, no problem. But if you're looking for someone to settle down with then yes, BM in DC are THAT bad. After I finish school I may have to move to DC for work (I want to go into US Foreign Policy) but I refuse to move there unless I'm married or engaged.:look:

Yeah, thats going to annoy the hell out of me. I cannot stand fake pretentious people in general and its especially unattractive on men. I mean I like for folks to have their ish together (as do I) but there is much more to life and its not that deep. If I run up on them dudes they will get written off with a quickness. I will not lie, in my younger days I was caught up in all that stuff, esp after being around the uppity negro crowd at my university. But eventually that ish gets old and I just want to meet some real @ss down to earth people.

^^ i agree. i live here now and am originally from atlanta. the men are successful and have things going for themselves, but the one's i've come across are not looking to settle down as another poster stated. kind of a double edge sword....

Yep.... :yep: That's basically it in a nutshell. :ohwell:

OMG...you hit the nail right on the head with this one. :amen:

This describes the DMV area almost completely to a T! :shocked: We have to remember that DC IS a very pretentious city...espcially for BLACKS. Remember, this is where the "March on Washington" was located and Dr. King gave his memorable speech. This is also the location of several well-known HBCU's (ie. Howard). If you were black in the 60's and had a govt. job in Washington D.C., oh you were basically a hot commodity! Even if all you did was secretarial work or mopped the govt. marble floors. :lachen:

Typically, people in this area (or maybe just the East coast in general) are usually VERY well educated, well read, Washington Post & New York Journal readers, etc. :yep: So I can see why SOME blk men have this silly mentality. :rolleyes:

And yes, while it's not too hard to get a date in this area, the amount of men who are willing to actually SETTLE down and marry become increasingly LESS in number. It's a rare commodity here it seems. :look: Cost of living here is so HIGH, that it's not rare to see a LOT of young 20-somethings still living at home w/their parents. Epsecially in this dying economy. :ohwell:

My main beef is that the men seem to feel like they're God's gift, feel like they can stay single waay up into their mid-late 30's, and feel like every woman wants them. Puh-leeze! :nono2: Many men don't care about wasting a woman's time if she's in her 30's, because they figure they'll just snag a young 25-year old woman when they're done w/the 30-something woman. :nono: I mean don't get me wrong, I think men and women in general are getting married older and at later times these days. But it seems that the age is higher here in this area for some reason. :look:

Idk....Maybe it's just sour grapes I guess, but I feel like I need a change from this area. :ohwell: There's a lot to do here, but a lot of times I think the men feel entitled or "special" because they know that they are few in relation to the population of women. :nono:

thanks for the insight, ladies

so it sounds like what i've heard is true :sad: oh well...

as for the successful high-falutin' negroes, i expect to be making some moves of my own, so i can give that mess right back to 'em :yep:

thanks for the insight, ladies

so it sounds like what i've heard is true :sad: oh well...

as for the successful high-falutin' negroes, i expect to be making some moves of my own, so i can give that mess right back to 'em :yep:

Nah, stay classy. Leave that mess to the chumps.

Ugh. I hate pretentiousness/ showboating. Reminds me of my college boyfriend and his brother :ohwell:. Where are the low-key, chill dudes who aren't into oneupmanship? I just want to live by the water and be free...

Ladies--everything said in this thread is true. I even have had to put FH in his place.

On the real, I tell him you can try that crap with me because you've effed around with all these other DMV women. But there are plenty of other viable pic kin's out there for me. I never feel limited.

SMH @ these DMV men! Nearly ALL my girlfriends in this area are single :/

Ugh. I hate pretentiousness/ showboating. Reminds me of my college boyfriend and his brother :ohwell:. Where are the low-key, chill dudes who aren't into oneupmanship? I just want to live by the water and be free...

If you want water and those type of men, it's the souf.

Other than that, I say Midwest. The men there treated me EXCEPTIONALLY well.

:nono: I mean don't get me wrong, I think men and women in general are getting married older and at later times these days. But it seems that the age is higher here in this area for some reason. :look:

I have met 40 and 50-something's who are ENGAGED for the first time ever. :lachen:

I'm sorry, but it all seems ridiculous to me.

Back