Are black women selfish about sharing hair growth info?

Some are selfish with good reason. I would get tons of people asking for advice and questions on how I got my hair to grow. The problem is when I tell them all I did was wash 2x a week, deep conditioning and about co-washes/low manipulation it just goes in one ear and out the other.

I get either "that's too much work" or "black people are not supposed to wash their hair so often" type comments or I get those doubters who think i'm holding back info on some special pill or potion i'm using or I have "good hair" because there is no way my simple regimen would give me the results I have. This is why now I don't even bother giving info out as freely as I used to.

I am very generous with hair info IF I know the person is interested. Otherwise, people tend to give me the side eye as if I'm just talking foolishness....so I don't bother. For those who are genuinely interested I'll share my regimen, point them to my hair sites and even give them a list of my YouTube faves. I'd like to see as many beautiful heads of hair on black women as possible, so I'll help however I can. Besides, I would never have known about LHCF if someone hadn't told me.

I try to be generous but they don't wanna hear it. So I just give one tip that I know they can follow. I tell them to oil their hair every other day and do a scalp massage with oil every week. and that's it. I have three coworkers continually asking but they don't want to hear me. You gotta mentally be ready to receive help. They are not at all ready. They rolled their eyes last year when I spent my lunch break reading threads. Now they're weave checking me and smelling my hair and asking what I do. It's ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I love sharing information about hair care and how to grow healthy long hair.

I'm not hesitant about sharing that information either.

My philosophy is don't ask don't tell. I don't volunteer hair information unless I'm discussing hair with a family member and/or someone approaches me and ask a question.

Some are selfish with good reason. I would get tons of people asking for advice and questions on how I got my hair to grow. The problem is when I tell them all I did was wash 2x a week, deep conditioning and about co-washes/low manipulation it just goes in one ear and out the other.

I get either "that's too much work" or "black people are not supposed to wash their hair so often" type comments or I get those doubters who think i'm holding back info on some special pill or potion i'm using or I have "good hair" because there is no way my simple regimen would give me the results I have. This is why now I don't even bother giving info out as freely as I used to.

Or they comment on the amount of money you spend on hair products with a follow-up insult that your hair looks just like everyone else's hair and you could have achieved that same look with something cheaper.

I share everything with my friends that are natural, and only share information with others when they ask me about my hair routine, now my friends joke about my obsession with my hair and my product junkie-ism.

Back