Apl Challenge 2017

Thanks Carrie. Looking forward to getting there.

What is your strategy for trimming? You might want to get some opinions. I think your ends look healthy although you mentioned the imperfections. I would go with the microtrim method every 8-10 weeks vs. a major trim to go for a perfect hem. I know I'm putting in two cents without being asked.......

What is your strategy for trimming? You might want to get some opinions. I think your ends look healthy although you mentioned the imperfections. I would go with the microtrim method every 8-10 weeks vs. a major trim to go for a perfect hem. I know I'm putting in two cents without being asked.......

I don't mind input.

Right now I'm trying to do every 4 months. I was doing every 8 but I wanted to extend it. I do a lot of search and destroys which is allowing me to extend it to 4 months when I flat iron.

I will just trim 1/4in to 1/2 inch. My ends can be a terror so I don't want to forgo trimming because I could end up having to trim inches in December.

This is the best my ends have looked in years.

I'm not even close to a perfect him. I am looking forward to more length so I can even up my back at some point.

I was trying to go a few more weeks before taking all my mini braids down but my hair is like nah bruh. So I'm slowly transitioning my mini braids into medium sized twist. I'll be doing all the treatments this weekend.
No promises on a length check as I don't use direct heat in the summer. I do plan to rollerset to stretch my hair some so if it comes out right, I might snap a pic.

So are we supposed to do a length check now. If so I'll post a pic this week. Then I'm going for a trim so I'll lose some of what I share.

I was trying to go a few more weeks before taking all my mini braids down but my hair is like nah bruh. So I'm slowly transitioning my mini braids into medium sized twist. I'll be doing all the treatments this weekend.
No promises on a length check as I don't use direct heat in the summer. I do plan to rollerset to stretch my hair some so if it comes out right, I might snap a pic.
You don't need heat for a length check. After you rollerset just do a pull test so you can mark your progress for August. Even without heat you can see the difference from April to August.

So are we supposed to do a length check now. If so I'll post a pic this week. Then I'm going for a trim so I'll lose some of what I share.
Yes we length check just 3 times this year, April, August and December.

It's always good to have a record. By December it will be a faint memory and harder to appreciate the progress.

Sorry you can't see my armpit but it was a gargantuan effort just to post this. Not sure why uploading is so challenging! I will try again though.

fullsizeoutput_2d4.jpeg

I should hopefully be full APL by the end of the year. Well I'd better be. :look:

Last edited:
You don't need heat for a length check. After you rollerset just do a pull test so you can mark your progress for August. Even without heat you can see the difference from April to August.

My rollersetting skills appreciate your enthusiasm. Because often times my sets are the epitome of struggle curls.

I plan on washing my hair tomorrow. I will be using Macadamia Natural Oil products? I M&S my hair heavy today, or I will say I used a heavy product to do so.
I may grab some Manetabolism vits again. I bought some other vitamins. I was really trying to find a multi vit period. Since the Mane is a multi vit, I may just stick with that. I need to find those collagen chews.
I promised myself I'm not gonna trim my hair until my next relaxer. I went a little to crazy with the scissors recently.

On my Aphogee days, I will apply a masque on dry hair. On my deep moisture days, I will masque on wet hair, then use a rinse out conditioner.

I had a tangling mishap with some new products. Tried the ION bond therapy line...hated it! I will just stick to Aphogee. I straightened my hair to see what was going on!
I cut off some progress the other day, but whatever. Trying to decide if I should just wash, condition, and heat style weekly..

Attachments

• IMG_8371.JPG
    IMG_8371.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 40
@shortdub78 whatever you're doing you should stick to it as you can clearly see the progress. You seem to like the Aphogee range so just stick to that. Although they are heavily protein though aren't they. What do you use for moisture?

Heat styling really works for some people and the hair still flourishes for them but only you can decide if your hair can tolerate it. I'm not scared of heat and I use it when I want but I don't use it too often maybe once or twice a month.

@shortdub78 whatever you're doing you should stick to it as you can clearly see the progress. You seem to like the Aphogee range so just stick to that. Although they are heavily protein though aren't they. What do you use for moisture?

Heat styling really works for some people and the hair still flourishes for them but only you can decide if your hair can tolerate it. I'm not scared of heat and I use it when I want but I don't use it too often maybe once or twice a month.
Once I used that hard water shampoo, and got a shower filter, my hair has been more receptive to protein! I'm amazed. I'm trying to alternate now with using that Macadamia line for moisture. Have you tried Eden's BodyWorks?

You are right about the heat. Even if I just blow dry. I'm shedding more and those hairs are getting caught in my new growth. Keeping my roots straight will help fight the tangles.

I'm gonna change that ION bond therapy for Silk Elements mega Silk in the tan jar. I know that conditioner works. I used it strictly when I had protein overload. I can use that and the Macadamia natural oil line for moisture.

Oh I love the ION universal straightening pic! The teeth are wide apart, they are smooth and are made of silicone. Didn't rip/pull out my hair, attached to my Conair silverbird with easy( didn't slip off) and my hair was able to dry quickly.

I didn't end up doing the roller set so no length check this time. I plan on straightening prior to my winter wig season so maybe I'll do one in October. I don't think I'll make APL this year but I'm still not leaving this thread lol.

I didn't end up doing the roller set so no length check this time. I plan on straightening prior to my winter wig season so maybe I'll do one in October. I don't think I'll make APL this year but I'm still not leaving this thread lol.
Yeah don't leave the thread. I'm hosting 2018 as well.

Back