Apl Challenge 2017

No news for me since I cut my hair to get rid of some more of the permed ends. I made an appt next month for a weave install. I've never in my life had a weave so this will be interesting. I feel like if I dont see my hair then I cant be frustrated with it and not reaching my goal.
I hope you are very pleased with it. Please share your new look when you get it.

I hope you are very pleased with it. Please share your new look when you get it.
I will only share if I still look human :look::lachen:Im so nervous. There are so many girls in this area with weaves lookin like... as my mom would say "who done it and ran". I took a recommendation from this board and you guys haven't failed me yet so I'm hopeful

I will only share if I still look human :look::lachen:Im so nervous. There are so many girls in this area with weaves lookin like... as my mom would say "who done it and ran". I took a recommendation from this board and you guys haven't failed me yet so I'm hopeful
If it's a board recommendation you should be fine.

Im 10 weeks post and considering relaxing.
I suddenly noticed the hair around the perimeter of my head/hairline is much shorter than I remember. I wear a pony tail everyday but I don't comb my hair when putting it up. Nether do I do a tight pony tail so I'm really not sure how the hair at the front broke offIMG_5493.JPG
IMG_5492.JPG

Last edited:
How many times a week do you moisturise ? I don't like moisturise every day because it makes my hair dry. I use ors olive oil moisturiser

Im 10 weeks post and considering relaxing.
I suddenly noticed the hair around the perimeter of my head/hairline is much shorter than I remember. I wear a pony tail everyday but I don't comb my hair when putting it up. Nether do I do a tight pony tail so I'm really not sure how the hair at the front broke offView attachment 406223
View attachment 406221
I don't pull my hair going back period. It's always to the sides. Side part, or middle. I don't use ponytail holders either. Now those elastic hair ties (actual hair ties) seem to be better as well as scrunchies. But you gotta be careful. There is a certain way people gather the hair, and wrap the holder around and you can already hear hair snapping. Also what products do you use to slick your hair back? That's another thing, I just m&s and put a little edge control on my hair line, and use a toothbrush, and comb ( I just glide the side of the teeth) I don't comb through.

I don't pull my hair going back period. It's always to the sides. Side part, or middle. I don't use ponytail holders either. Now those elastic hair ties (actual hair ties) seem to be better as well as scrunchies. But you gotta be careful. There is a certain way people gather the hair, and wrap the holder around and you can already hear hair snapping. Also what products do you use to slick your hair back? That's another thing, I just m&s and put a little edge control on my hair line, and use a toothbrush, and comb ( I just glide the side of the teeth) I don't comb through.
I don't apply anything to my edges. Although I do use a hair mascara to cover my greys because I don't want to dye my hair. I think that may be the culprit

This thread is kind of quiet. How is everyone doing? Any successes? Failures? New product and/or technique discoveries?

I'm coasting this summer. I'm not washing my hair so often but still enjoying wearing wng and not having to restrict my hair in any way. It seems to be creeping along very slowly. Not spritzing NW21 regularly because it causes build up on my scalp but when I do, I focus on my crown. I am consistently taking bamboo extract, MSM, vitamin C and marine collagen (the new collagen, MSM and Vit C for the past 3 weeks). My hair and skin is looking well and my constant nail splitting appears to be reducing.

Still in my mini braids. I seriously am not taking them down until December.

I have noticed that my hair seems to be holding moisture since I've traded in my oil for a gel. It's a curl activator gel so that may be why, but it is a pleasant surprise. So after washing, I do liquid, cream, then cover with gel. I may start putting the oil before the gel just to use it up.

I used a deep conditioner/mask and I didn't have to use a leave-in or detangler... like I could feel the conditioner had coated my hair enough, where I didn't need anything else. I'm blow drying my hair now. I used leave-in on two sections of my hair out of habit, but soon realized I didn't need to use those. I might flat iron my hair, or something. I don't plan on wearing my hair out though. It will be hot again this week.

I used a deep conditioner/mask and I didn't have to use a leave-in or detangler... like I could feel the conditioner had coated my hair enough, where I didn't need anything else. I'm blow drying my hair now. I used leave-in on two sections of my hair out of habit, but soon realized I didn't need to use those. I might flat iron my hair, or something. I don't plan on wearing my hair out though. It will be hot again this week.

What DC did you use? It's great when you find a DC that works like that.

I always use leave ins though out of habit myself though, it's like an automatic reflex lol.

What DC did you use? It's great when you find a DC that works like that.

I always use leave ins though out of habit myself though, it's like an automatic reflex lol.
Sally Mystic Divine nourishing masque. I'm gonna get the shampoo. They have an oil spray, and serum. I have the leave-in. It's good for the new growth. I don't like the smoothing cream.

Sally Mystic Divine nourishing masque. I'm gonna get the shampoo. They have an oil spray, and serum. I have the leave-in. It's good for the new growth. I don't like the smoothing cream.

Are you the one who brought Mystic Divine into my life. I remember seeing it mentioned in a thread, I went to sally bought it, used it and fell in love. Im pretty sure it was you who mentioned it in the relaxed hair thread. My hair and I want to thank you. My hair is so soft and it stays moisturized. Mystic Divine is my first staple DC.

Last edited:
Are you the one who brought Mystic Divine into my life. I remember seeing it mentioned in a thread, I went to sally bought it, used it and fell in love. Im pretty sure it was you who mentioned it in the relaxed hair thread. My hair and I want to thank you. My hair is so soft and it stays moisturized. Mystic Divine is my first staple DC.
Lol yeah that was me! I'm glad you tried it out and like it! I tried the packets first, and decided to grab the jar! I'm flat ironing my hair now and my hair feels light and soft. It doesnt feel dry. It's after 12am and I decided to flat iron my hair! lol I would love to go 5-7 between washes, so I gotta figure out what products and methods will take me there.
My favorite Sally's salesperson hooked me up with that! She is into coloring and she said it helps seal on the color and your hair won't feel dry.

I feel like my hair has grown since my last flat iron session. First comes length, thickness, then length again. So we are in the thickness phase right now.

Did a wash and go this morning and I am in love. It's so soft. I think I'm going to alternate between wash & go's and braid & curl's from now on. Providing I can recreate this look and feel, my hair is finicky.

I prepooed my hair on Thursday with Alikay Naturals growth oil and then washed as normal. Yesterday and today my scalp was itching like CRAZY. My usual wash day is Thursday but I had to wash ot today the itching was so bad. The only thing I did differently was used the growth oil. Im going to try it again next week to see if this is really what caused the intense itching and if so I'm going to stop using it

Decided not to wash this week. I misted my hair with Mane Choice and used Split End Mender on my ends and retwisted in the same flat twist style. I think I will stick with this regimen until the end of August and I'm ready to straighten and trim.

Decided not to wash this week. I misted my hair with Mane Choice and used Split End Mender on my ends and retwisted in the same flat twist style. I think I will stick with this regimen until the end of August and I'm ready to straighten and trim.

How's your growth been with the flat twist regimen?

I just put in some crochet braids. It was a pretty easy process, and even though I cut the hair unevenly (lol), I still think it looks pretty good. Looks like it might get frizzy soon though. I'll do a twist out on it if that happens.

I think my hair is telling me that it doesn't like oil. For most of the month, I've been swapping gel in place of oil and I've been on vacation for a few days and not using it. Yet my hair is soft, moisturized, and my curly ends are popping. And it stays this way all day.

I think I'm going to trial this again for another month to see if this is for real for real.

How's your growth been with the flat twist regimen?

I just put in some crochet braids. It was a pretty easy process, and even though I cut the hair unevenly (lol), I still think it looks pretty good. Looks like it might get frizzy soon though. I'll do a twist out on it if that happens.
I'm really not sure. It's growing and I'm retaining but I can't tell how much. It's nothing amazing otherwise I would be sure. Lol. I'm not going to know until I straighten next month.

But doing the flat twist keeps my regi consistent, keeps me out of my hair, keeps me from worrying and doesn't interfere with my working out.

I want to do crochet but for now I'm swimming twice a week and my cornrows won't hold up to twice week washing. I hope to join you late fall.

I think my hair is telling me that it doesn't like oil. For most of the month, I've been swapping gel in place of oil and I've been on vacation for a few days and not using it. Yet my hair is soft, moisturized, and my curly ends are popping. And it stays this way all day.

I think I'm going to trial this again for another month to see if this is for real for real.
Gel can be a much better sealant than oil.

Back