APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

I haven't been keeping up in here since I finally put some braids in a few weeks ago. they are not lasting as long as I wanted them too, but they look okay. I may have to rebraid in February instead of march.. that's ok.

I desperately need to tend to my ends, but I'm waiting because I don't want to straighten until july and I want to use a split ender. we'll see if I regret waiting so long before I clip. its better than clipping every time I look at it. I'm trying to stretch my clippings.

I've decided to straighten just one time this year... in July because I'm going someplace and, though I'm likely going to wear it up, I want to tend to the ends and for it to be straight just because.

Then, it's staying braided up until the end of the year when I hope to be grazing if not fully BSL.

My nape is approaching APL. I didn't think it was quite that long. I am about 20 months post BC, but I am also only 5'0. My hair is between 8-9 inches in length. I guess being short has its advantages sometimes.

Attachments

• image-446230339.jpg
    image-446230339.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
:bighug: Take your time. Taking care of a love one takes a lot out of you, so be loving to yourself. Ease your way back into everything. There is no need to rush, even small steps take you towards your goals.

Thanks faith! It was an adjustment but think I did okay for my first week back.

OAN I tried out 3 strand twists yesterday and will take down in the morning. Can't wait to see the results bc I've never done these b4. I thought it would be difficult to do but it really wasn't all that bad. I do however need to get someone to cornrow my hair so I can start wigging it.

Current hair length: SL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural
Goal Month: APL-september. Not worrying about BSL this year
Current Reggie and styling choices: Shampoo and DC once a week. Two strand twist with my own hair during the week, and twist/braid out on the week end. Trim every 10-12 weeks
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? I want to do more long term PS, stick to my staples, and stop trying too many new stuff.
Post a beginning picture
First picture is my length as of today. The others are my end of year braid out done on damp/wet hair. My out styles are now as long as the style in my profile picture. Profile picture style was done in April of 2013 on blow dried hair.

Attachments

• RSCN2472.JPG
    RSCN2472.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN2431.jpg
    DSCN2431.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN2425.jpg
    DSCN2425.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN2427.jpg
    DSCN2427.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 78
I am such a proud mama. My 3 year old daughter got braid checked:lol:. We had some family over, and my brother in law's girlfriend (spanish), asked me if my daughter isn't a little young to be wearing extensions. I told her that my daughter was not wearing any extensions, and that i 2 strand twist her hair my self every 2 weeks. She gave me the: yeah right look. I kept it moving, cause i did not want to discuss hair or my daughter with her. Then i saw her getting closer, and closer to my daughter, trying to touch her hair. It was hilarious. I mean she just turned 3, and she's getting checked. Seriously?
As much as i wanted to undo one of the twist for her, i did not. If she's still around in 2 years i will let her see what WL look like on a black 5 year old girl:lachen:.
I was kind of happy too. I started her journey along with mines, 2 years ago. She only had hair on her crown then, and now she is almost bsb stretched. Here's a picture of what her twists looked like

Attachments

• DSCN2381.jpg
    DSCN2381.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 94
I haven't checked in for a while. But I'm still here. Since the new year, I'm just trying new things to see if it will work. I really want to be APL by June. So I gave up combs, only finger detangle which takes time but I lose less hair. I've also started diluting the shampoo and alternating with co-wash on wash day.

I threw my hair in a bun today. Otherwise my 4 month old would have his little hands all tangled in my hair and pulling it out lol.

I texturized today at 15 weeks post! I covered the length of my hair with Palmer's coconut strengthening conditioner, sealed it in with safflower oil and twisted loosely in small sections. I added some oil and SAA powder to the texturizer and used the Palmer's again for the mid-protein step. After rinsing and neutralizing, I still have a very nice, slight wave.

Im DCing now with ORS hair masque and my fenugreek paste from the freezer. Next, I will tea rinse and DC again with AOHSR. Not sure if I retained anything but I feel like Im getting off to a good start for the new year. Planning to redo my yarn braids in about 3 weeks for the C&G challenge. Until then, I will cowash, trim and DC religiously to combat chronic split ends.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Definitely APL in the back now I want the front and sides to catch up

Attachments

• image-1303879757.jpg
    image-1303879757.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 44
Checking in:

I finally got to do my co-wash and LOC with GHE yesterday. Since my hair was flat ironed for the start of the challenge, I saturated my wet hair with coconut oil. I knew it really needed it. I'm thinking of getting braids but an still on the fence. Anyway, I'm glad to have my hair curly again. When it was straight, I felt kind of guilty. Lol

Did a corrective today and I might make APL by mid April my next relaxer!!!

My hair feels and looks so healthy

brownb83 that's a great regimen! Very simple but effective.. :)

Lol for me simple is best. I went through a stage where I tried so much funky stuff,trying to increase growth.

I stopped and said it had to be a better way. I don't want to cook up concotions to put on my scalp.

I just want clean flowing fresh smelling hair. Those things work for others and that's cool but for me? Lol no

I'm thinking about cutting my hair some more. I'll decide next month when I flat iron.

I cut mine last night. I needed a trim but ended up cutting nearly 2". :drunk: My hair feels great now. :yep: ..Unfortunately that means that I'm no longer grazing APL :rolleyes:

I cut mine last night. I needed a trim but ended up cutting nearly 2". :drunk: My hair feels great now. :yep: ..Unfortunately that means that I'm no longer grazing APL :rolleyes:

I cut about 2" a couple weeks ago! Maybe I'll do an inch more off the length and add layers.
#healthoverlength

Just an update on my hair.

I've decided to stop using unnecessary products in my regimen.

I'm gonna start mud washing when I run out of my conditioner.

Cowash
AVG as a leave in
Shea butter as my Sealant and Styler

So far this is working really well for me. :D

Just an update on my hair. I've decided to stop using unnecessary products in my regimen. I'm gonna start mud washing when I run out of my conditioner. Cowash AVG as a leave in Shea butter as my Sealant and Styler So far this is working really well for me. :D

That's the problem I have...trying everything under the sun! Sigh I have a solid regi but my products keep growing. Like dcs I don't mind but stylers and leave ins I have to cut it out!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I did my first 3 strand twists on Saturday for a twist out for work today. I must admit I'm extremely happy with the results! I'm definitely going to try this on my girls so their twist outs will last. It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Still waiting on someone to braid my hair so I can wig it. I may end up just doing it myself this weekend but I'm being lazy.

image-3103618898.jpg

image-2632500609.jpg

image-3171495068.jpg

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Back