APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

Did a twistout last night using entwine products and this morning my hair was not dry lol. I had to try and salvage using the blow dryer...

Yesterday was wash day for me. Still loving AOGBP. I went to whole foods to buy a bottle for my mom and buy HSR to try and the cashier asked if it was a good conditioner because she sees people with all hair types buying them.
It's time to dust my ends and I'm considering buying the split ender next week as a reward for stopping my product junkie ways haha

^^^ I just ordered the splitender yesterday! I think I'm going to narrow my styles down to bunning during the work week and wearing my upart on weekends... If I go somewhere! I hate buns but, I need to chill out on all the styling!

Last edited:
I'm so ready to remove these crochets that I've had in since dec. 15, but I'm stretching it for atleast 2 more weeks :)

image-4052955466.jpg

I ordered 14/16 inch alco remy in a 1b/27 for a sew in yay :)

Righto, as for me, I did another weave, used 27 pieces in a colour 2 (now, I understand why most ladies just use the 27 pieces for wig caps!). Plan is to keep this in for 8 weeks, if it holds up that long.

Pic
(Taken just after doing Insanity fit test)

ForumRunner_20140109_182611.jpg

I asked my mom to press my hair today. She started out doing a hard press, but I got scared and we changed to a soft press. (I think those are the right terms??) I went for a trim right after. I used KaraCare Cream Press, but I found it too greasy or maybe I just used too much. I think that the next time I'll have to try using a serum or a spray protectant.

Unfortunately, I only have a pre-trim pic (starting pic for 2014). I only took off between 0.5-1in. I'm hoping that I can reach BSL by the end of the year....

Attachments

• 20140109_173957.jpg
    20140109_173957.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 64
Phaer your hair came out beautiful. I guess I have to wait at least a year cause I will only be 2 years post relaxer next month. I am also a slow grower so maybe a year and a half. Please keep us updated with the after treatment.

Phaer your hair came out beautiful. I guess I have to wait at least a year cause I will only be 2 years post relaxer next month. I am also a slow grower so maybe a year and a half. Please keep us updated with the after treatment.

Thank you and I definitely will.

You ladies have been so active up in here lol! Sorry I've been kind of here and there this week. It is my first week back to work since my mom got really sick in June and I took off to take care of her. A lot to catch up on and do sheesh!

[USER=330401 said:
HairPleezeGrow[/USER];19503269]You ladies have been so active up in here lol! Sorry I've been kind of here and there this week. It is my first week back to work since my mom got really sick in June and I took off to take care of her. A lot to catch up on and do sheesh!

:bighug: Take your time. Taking care of a love one takes a lot out of you, so be loving to yourself. Ease your way back into everything. There is no need to rush, even small steps take you towards your goals.

I forgot I wanted to join this challenge. Here are my details.

Current hair length: NL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: 3c/4a Natural
Goal Month: I hope to make Full APL by December 2014
Current Reggie and styling choices: I currently wash and DC 1-2 times per week and wear my hair in a wash'n'go with the occasional twist out. I'm doing henna once a week until March. I will be tea rinsing and using herbs to make my own moisturizing spritz. I do the LOC/LCOB method to moisturize my hair.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? I started inversion this month and got almost an inch of growth by day 7 so I will start doing this monthly. I will be using sulfur oil at least 3 times a week and I will be using JBCO on my edges nightly. I'm going to start baggying overnight on the days my hair feel really dry and start m&s in between wash days. I plan to start taking vitamins/supplements but I don't know which one yet. I'm also going to be eating healthier and exercising regularly.
Post a beginning picture

photo 2(1).JPG

My scalp has been really sore in the crown area and its not from growth. I think it may be stress related thinning or breakage. The thought of losing hair stresses me even more :(

My scalp has been really sore in the crown area and its not from growth. I think it may be stress related thinning or breakage. The thought of losing hair stresses me even more :(

My scalp is sore as well. I was associating it with wearing this wig all week. :perplexed: This is my last day of it though and I will be putting in flat twist extensions to give my scalp a break. Maybe I need to do 2 weeks in extensions 1 week in a wig. My scalp complains when it is too dry and too moist.

I've been having soreness in my crown area too and it is NOT growth. I'm not stressed about anything but have noticed breakage in that area. It is stressful indeed and heartbreaking.

Interesting... My crown is sore as well!

ETA... My hair is prone to breakage right where it's sore! It's the least healthy section on my hair!

hmm, I wonder if there is a common denominator. I'm not stressed, so it isn't stress. My scalp isn't dry. I have been moisturizing and sealing daily. I haven't noticed any breakage. Not more than usual anyway.

Im glad yall can relate. I did do a scalp massage yesterday, but I wonder why the crown is the only sore spot. I did just have a baby 4 months ago. It could be related to my hormones. Lets get to the root of this (pun intended)

I've been applying JBCO mixed with peppermint oil to that section... Maybe it's too harsh for my scalp. I do focus on the crown when I apply it.

I'm clueless... This section actually makes me want to shave my head bald! Before my hair journey/color corrector mishap my crown was the strongest section of my hair. It hasn't been the same since then.

Last edited:
I've been applying JBCO mixed with peppermint oil to that section... Maybe it's too harsh for my scalp. I do focus on the crown when I apply it.

I'm clueless... This section actually makes me want to shave my head bald! Before my hair journey/color corrector mishap my crown was the strongest section of my hair. It hasn't been the same since then.

I think we're onto something….I was applying JBCO to that area too because it was thinning---now it's sore and broken off :ohwell: I'm thinking the JBCO might be too strong for my scalp.

I also just had a baby too (well...it's been a year lol) but I just finished breast feeding so it could be hormonally related.

I think we're onto something….I was applying JBCO to that area too because it was thinning---now it's sore and broken off :ohwell: I'm thinking the JBCO might be too strong for my scalp.

I also just had a baby too (well...it's been a year lol) but I just finished breast feeding so it could be hormonally related.

I couldn't use jbco solo either....I had to mix it with some other oils

I didn't apply JBCO last night and my crown is no longer sore.

Interesting. I think the JBCO might be over stimulating to some of us. Maybe you should try 2-3 times a week instead of every day application. I don't remember a sore scalp, but all of these growth stimulating oils/products gave me EXCESSIVE shedding. I now leave my scalp alone. I do apply my DCs from root to tips, and i make sure to rinse well while rubbing the scalp.

Finally taking out these twists but I'm only doing the kitchen and then retwisting it

Pretty sure I'm just going to keep it twisted up for the rest of the year

My scalp isnt sore anymore although I slept in satin covered foam rollers. Im going to be home all day so I will keep my rollers in until tomorrow. If its uncomfortable for me to sleep I can put pincurls in place of each roller.

Dh gave me the ok to buy a couple lace wigs. Ive been doing research on youtube and various sites. I think I found 2 that I love! One is yaki straight and the other is a long curly fro. Cant wait to wear them both. But first I have to make this blowout last another week... straight hair problems lol

Interesting. I think the JBCO might be over stimulating to some of us. Maybe you should try 2-3 times a week instead of every day application. I don't remember a sore scalp, but all of these growth stimulating oils/products gave me EXCESSIVE shedding. I now leave my scalp alone. I do apply my DCs from root to tips, and i make sure to rinse well while rubbing the scalp.
The JBCO is also supposed to be good for inflammation and sore joints. It works on my feet after standing all day. But I always mix it with coconut oil so its thinner and a little less potent. It still thickens and grows out my edges nicely.

ETA: I looked for hydrolyzed keratin in all my products and came up with very few (doing my TU tomorrow). I found this Palmers strengthening LI and moisturizing hair milk. They worked nicely together on dry hair. They left my NG moisturized instead of the usual crunchy, tangly mess and my relaxed strands looking and feeling plump and strong.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:
The JBCO is also supposed to be good for inflammation and sore joints. It works on my feet after standing all day. But I always mix it with coconut oil so its thinner and a little less potent. It still thickens and grows out my edges nicely.

ETA: I looked for hydrolyzed keratin in all my products and came up with very few (doing my TU tomorrow). I found this Palmers strengthening LI and moisturizing hair milk. They worked nicely together on dry hair. They left my NG moisturized instead of the usual crunchy, tangly mess and my relaxed strands looking and feeling plump and strong.

I LOVE this HHJ!!
I agree.
Castor oil is an all over remedy at my house. We use the pure haitian black castor oil, handmade by my grandmother and grand auties from the country side of Haiti. We get our supply whenever one of us travel back home.
Uses: sore joints, back pain, cold, stuffy nose, fever, inflammation, hair growth, skin furuncle (boil), constipation. As a child, i remember my mom pulling out the bottle of castor oil for everything. As a teenager, i laughed at her, and refused to use it. Now as a mother myself, i do not let myself run out. When my baby gets a cold or fever, i rub some castor oil on her chest, back, nose, head, and the next day fever is gone, stuffy nose is gone and the mucus starts to run out.

Back