APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

Ok what is going on? Now I'm scared to join this challenge too. I thought we were all working on APL this year. I need to see you all pictures.
I am barely sl myself in need of a trim soon. I need some company other than all these beautiful already APL or closed to it in here.

Ok what is going on? Now I'm scared to join this challenge too. I thought we were all working on APL this year. I need to see you all pictures.
I am barely sl myself in need of a trim soon. I need some company other than all these beautiful already APL or closed to it in here.

Don't get discouraged! This is to all of you...we are here to support one another in our healthy hair journeys with the benefit of retaining length. I know it seems a long ways away but remember you can do this. I believe in us!!!

Ok what is going on? Now I'm scared to join this challenge too. I thought we were all working on APL this year. I need to see you all pictures. I am barely sl myself in need of a trim soon. I need some company other than all these beautiful already APL or closed to it in here.
These are my starting pics

I'm not APL yet. I'm shooting for full and healthy APL by 4/14 :-)

Attachments

• image-3355969689.jpg
    image-3355969689.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 35
  • image-239117845.jpg
    image-239117845.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I'm CBL... It'll be a while before I reach APL. Don't leave ladies! I thought this challenge was for people aiming for APL and if they make it to APL during this year they can still stay in this challenge through 2014 aiming towards BSL!

Last edited:
I just did my touch up and am officially grazing APL in the back while my hair is wet without pulling! I'm excited bunning is working for me!!!!! I have LOTS of layers from damage in the past so full APL probably won't be for another 8 months.

I just did my touch up and am officially grazing APL in the back while my hair is wet without pulling! I'm excited bunning is working for me!!!!! I have LOTS of layers from damage in the past so full APL probably won't be for another 8 months.

That's wonderful! I'm glad you found something that works for you.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I had a trim and didn't make APL this year. So I decided to join you ladies and here is my 411:

Current hair length: Little past SL (2" from APL and 5" from BSL);

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural

Goal Month: APL - June 30th; BSL - December 31st

Current Reggie and styling choices: Reggie: weekly wash and DC, M&S: every other day; mid-week cowash or GHE; Styles: Buns

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? I'll trim more often, include weekly light protein treatment and a monthly or quartely heavy protein treatment, steam weekly as hubby gave me a hair steamer for Christmas
ETA: I forgot to say that I'm dumping combs and will only be finger detangling; Also, I'll be diluting shampoo on wash days and alternate wash with co-wash the following week.

Post a beginning picture:

Attachments

• Dec 24th (2).jpg
    Dec 24th (2).jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Yay! I'm loving seeing where everyone is starting! I'm still not even collarbone length. I don't think it's impossible to reach apl before the year end. Keep strong ladies!

PlainJane Now tell me about this bunning you've been doing?

Jace032000 sure! The only thing that's helped ME retain from bunning is to stay away from those elastic hair ties. No matter what brand, type, or material- I just can't use them. They've caused mid strand splits, regular splits, crown breakage, side breakage, scalp tension, and I always have hairs in my hand when I remove hair ties. I secure my buns/updos with only bobby pins and mostly do the LCO method right before bunning. My hair is always moist when I take my bun down at the end of the day.

Jace032000 sure! The only thing that's helped ME retain from bunning is to stay away from those elastic hair ties. No matter what brand, type, or material- I just can't use them. They've caused mid strand splits, regular splits, crown breakage, side breakage, scalp tension, and I always have hairs in my hand when I remove hair ties. I secure my buns/updos with only bobby pins and mostly do the LCO method right before bunning. My hair is always moist when I take my bun down at the end of the day.

I just talked about this. Even the ouch less bands hurt my fine strands.

Ok, here goes...

Current Length: Grazing APL

Relaxed, Natural, Tex-Lax'd: Natural

Goal Month: March Full APL, June-July BSL :grin:

Current Reggie/Styling: Weekly co-wash, monthly clarify. GHE 3x week, sprit zing/sealing w/ coconut oil daily. Bunning.

Changes to reach my goal: I have learned the hard way to change the location of my bun. I need to find other things to hold my hair and change bun locations often. I need to DC Weekly. Taking chlorella powder, 10,000mcg Biotin and trying the egg cocktail from another thread.

*I am also in the BSL/MBL Challenge 2014 hoping for a miracle* LOL

Attachments

• image-3960639237.jpg
    image-3960639237.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image-1526191754.jpg
    image-1526191754.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
bronxchick

How do you secure your buns? I had setbacks when I was bunning because I used a scrunchie, then fanned my hair around it and secured that with an ouchless band. My ends were always bent and it caused major problems.

When I switched to spin pins it made a world of difference.

I love spin pins, I use them daily for my buns. They come in really handy since my hair is not long and they are easy to use. I've not experienced any breakage from using it. I'll try and post pics next time I use it.

bronxchick you can find them at CVS/Walgreens

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 43
I will get some Spin Pins right away. These look like they will save me from myself. Thanks, ladies! :yep:

Last edited:
I am in:

Current hair length: Bangs - Chin; Sides - Collarbone; Back - Grazing APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Relaxer Free (I do not label myself Natural b/c I have tried straightening and coloring treatments that are not relaxers on my leave out; So about 10% of hair is not "Natural")
Goal Month: Full APL June 2014; Full BSL December 2014
Current Reggie and styling choices:
- Co-wash every other day
- DC once a week
- NJoy Hair Growth Oil (daily or at least every othe day)
- Moisturize and seal daily
- Protein treatment once a month
- Vitamins: Multivitamin and Iron supplement
- Styles: Protective styles (Half, Lace-Front, U-part Wigs; Weaves)

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Nothing
Post a beginning picture Picture is not currently available since I am in a weave. Will post first picture in Feb or March

I have so much breakage from daily ponytails but I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the spin pins to work. Ive watched tutorials on youtube and everything. I thought my hair was too short. Maybe Im just doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

tapioca_pudding

How many are you using and where are you placing them?

My hair is CBL and I pull my hair back, twirl it into a loose bun and then spin a pin in bottom and top. Sometimes I'll add one to the side, too.

I love spin pins, I use them daily for my buns. They come in really handy since my hair is not long and they are easy to use. I've not experienced any breakage from using it. I'll try and post pics next time I use it.

bronxchick you can find them at CVS/Walgreens

I'd seen those at Walgreens but never thought about getting them. I bun every day...hmmm I might pick one up next time I'll be at Walgreens, :)

Hey Ladies,

Just a tiny year end update. Straightened my hair yesterday 12/28. I looked back at the pic I posted when I joined the challenge and am quite surprised. I still see growth even with that trim I had about a month or so ago.

Anyway,I really hope to still get to APL by my goal date 5/14. I don't plan on straightening again until then.

i am between shoulder length and apl, right in the middle. my hair was uneven so i cut off like two inches from the front to get it even from a setback i suffered back in February. this is my current length. ... ForumRunner_20131229_161422.jpg ForumRunner_20131229_161439.jpg i wont be doing anything differently to obtain apl other than curls, curls and more curls which i usually do. i am trying to do straight styles now that i have a fresh relaxer for now up to like 4 weeks and then i will be wearing curls for eight weeks

Last edited:

I'm here for u. I am no where near APL.

faithVA DarkJoy @yay24 :spank: I tried to back out earlier but u all didn't let me. I Understand your decision but hopefully you make shoulder length and join us in this challenge sometime this year. :bighug:

Welp, I have my fresh sew in so here we go 2014!! Let's grow, grow, grow!!!!!!!! APL, I am coming for YOU!

Back