Apl 2016 Challenge

@Wenbev I do...I use Smooth wrap foam, purified water, and coconut oil (to seal the ends). I blow dry (with a comb attachment to maximize straightness) then I go back and use the mixture to dampen my hair. I then let it airdry overnight.

Last edited:
I'm ready for our first length check :supergrin: I just hit my 5 month mark yesterday but this was taken on Wednesday.
hair1_zpsomsvcngq.jpg
hair_zps9eizqvvr.jpg

10/18 and 3/16

I'm way more focused on the health of my hair rather than length. Some parts of my hair are collarbone length when stretched while some parts barely reach my shoulder lol I need to lay off the scissors. :paperbag: I'll take pics with my Nikon camera instead of using my iphone on april 1st for a better quality shot.
*also day 4 of inversions completed.

((ETA)) I meant to write collarbone length not APL:spinning:

Last edited:
So this time I straightened to take my LC pic, but I don't really see a difference. I am going to put in braids without extensions for a month and see what happens.

We'll my braids without extensions lasted 2 weeks. I just couldn't do it. I washed them last week, and my hair got super tangly, ESPECIALLY at the roots. I didn't even agitate it that much, or at least I didn't "think" I did.

Anywho, I started taking them down Thursday and finished Friday night. I washed this morning and the tangles weren't that bad, since I detangled a bit last night. I sat under the steamer for 20 min with my moisturizing condish keracare humecto. Love that stuff! Now I am out with hubby running errands and I have a plastic cap on under my hat.

I usually enjoy washing days, but this session has been a beast!

Last edited:
I'm ready for our first length check :supergrin: I just hit my 5 month mark yesterday but this was taken on Wednesday.
hair1_zpsomsvcngq.jpg
hair_zps9eizqvvr.jpg

10/18 and 3/16

I'm way more focused on the health of my hair rather than length. Some parts of my hair are APL length when stretched while some parts barely reach my shoulder lol I need to lay off the scissors. :paperbag: I'll take pics with my Nikon camera instead of using my iphone on april 1st for a better quality shot.
*also day 4 of inversions completed.

HUGE difference!! fuller and longer! Way to grow!!

UPDATE** I HAD QUITE A BIT OF ROOT BREAKAGE THAT I NOTICED ONCE I WASHED.

BRUSHES ARE THE DEVIL. EVEN SHAMPOO BRUSHES IF THE STYLIST IS RAKING IT THROUGH. *

BACK TO EXCLUSIVE DIY. **

I got my hair colored (semi perm black), blow dried and trimmed yesterday by stylist Candace at her salon.

The ENTIRE experience was legit. I got there with hair that had no product in it (2 days prior I shampooed and rinsed, oiled my scalp, finger detangled and put my hair in 6 flat twists for my wig).

When I got there I took off my wig and started unraveling the flat twists to prepare for the shampoo bowl.

Candace & her assistant were very nice and welcoming.

Once at the bowl, as soon as the water hit my hair, she started commenting on how nice and healthy my hair was.

She said that majority of her clients with my type 4 super kinky texture have tangling issues, but that the shampoo brush was just gliding through my hair.

After x 2 shampoo came the color. Then an additional shampoo (x 2) and a rinse out condition, blowout and trim.

For my "style" I just had her do 4 straight back cornrows.

Candace listened. She even used the term "dust your ends" when I told her I wanted a light trim all over NOT a even cut.

Praise Jesus. I was pleased.

Only con was: although the shampoo brush felt great on my scalp and "glid through" my strands, I have fine hair, and Im nervous to see during the upcoming weeks if all that brushing did some damage.

oh yea and the distance from my house is 1 hour and 2 minutes away... *but I was willing to fly or drive to Houston (5 hr drive) to get my hair done before I found her.

Total was $50.00 before tip.

Her IG name: @uniquestylesbycandace

Last edited:
Today I:

Prepooed with Matrix Biolage Sunsorial Conditioner and NJoy hair oil - scalp felt all nice and tingly especially since I doctored it up with essential oils.

Clarified with Redken Hair Cleansing Cream

Moisture Shampooed with Keracare Hydrating shampoo

Deep Conditioning with Macadamia Natural Oil Nourishing Mask - talk about a HIT for my hair - left my hair very soft and moisturized.

I will be using Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Daily Leave-in Tonic as my last step until tonight when I'll moisturize with Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer.

After I flat ironed last night I did a S&D with is easier when the hair is straight. Not much length difference since Dec, but the hair definitely feels and looks more dense and healthier.
Here's front and back and a comparison between 12/31 and now.
Apr 2016 back.JPG Apr 2016 front.JPG Apr 2016 front.JPG
I have a ways to go; about 5 inches, but I think I can make it to APL this year or come very close!

Attachments

• Dec 15 Apr 16 hair comp.jpg
    Dec 15 Apr 16 hair comp.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Today I mixed up some henna, using steeped marshmallow root and hibiscus. I only let it sit for about an hour or so. Just before applying, I added some indigo and hibiscus powder. I prepped my hair by rinsing and then clay washing.

I'm currently sitting with the mix, wrapped in cling film. I plan to leave in on for about 2hrs and then DC with AO WC and whatever dregs of HSR I have left.

Ms Faith, you are too hard on yourself! That pull looks like SL to me. Its sitting on your collarbone. :)
Your thickness inspires jealousy and it looks super healthy.

That's the only section that is collarbone and it has been there since last year this time. My nape has not grown but fortunately the rest of my hair has grown to catch up. I won't be claiming SL my higher sections are touching.

I am looking forward to having thick, overwhelming hair :yep: And I am thankful that it is finally getting healthy.

After I flat ironed last night I did a S&D with is easier when the hair is straight. Not much length difference since Dec, but the hair definitely feels and looks more dense and healthier.
View attachment 355593 View attachment 355595 View attachment 355595
I have a ways to go; about 5 inches, but I think I can make it to APL this year or come very close!
It's looking really good and I like the shape. It's going to be fun watching you make it to APL.

I started taking viviscal again. I tried country life vitamins (I think that's the name) for 5 months and didn't have results like I did on viviscal. THIS time, I am drinking lots of water so I don't get the little bumps on my face this time. I know it's already working bc my hair outside of my head, is growing like crazy!

View attachment 355593 View attachment 355595 View attachment 355595
It sure is more dense and healthier looking for sure @Wenbev :yep:.

Back