APL 2012 Challenge

you ladies are silly!

dusted my ends a little bit tonight cuz i wore my hair out today and yesterday. its such a weird feeling, to have this hair on my back. so i put some coconut oil on my strands, did a quick massage, and will put two flat twists in the front and a bun in the back for the rest of week. but i gotta wash this weekedn. idk what im gonna do after that...

i'm sitting here doing this Aphogee 2 step. my hair needed it. since i have color and i am relaxed, i am going to have to step my protein game up.

OK, I'm joining....

~Current hair length: Layered...Front-lip length (6.5"), Crown-chin length (7.5"), Back-neck length (6")
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd: NATURAL!!!
~APL goal month: December 2012 (will need all the time I can get)
~Current Reggie and styling choices: wash bi-weekly, cowash weekly, DC weekly, M&S daily. I usually wear 2-strand twists or flat twists with ends pinned.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Protective styling including updos, twists, and braids; healthy eating

Starting pics....
xp0rom.jpg
2nqbhbs.jpg
69dq9u.jpg
2vs2ffa.jpg

looking good!!! wish u best!
can i know how many months post relaxer are you?!

thanks in advance!

ok, why did i just mess up big time? i went to sleep with that Aphogee 2 step in my hair. i woke up, rinsed for a long time, applied the balancing conditioner, rinsed an added Keracare Humecto and Tresemme for 30 mins with no heat. my hair felt stiff in the middle, so i applied HH in the shower and let it sit for 5 mins. after i rinsed, my hair still felt stiff, so i appled Kenra, HH, and some oil. i also a applied a hot towel on top of my plastic cap and covered with a plastic bag. i am going to wet the
towel with hot water again and cover. i could just beat myself up for that

Sitting under dryer with my deep conditioner on. I'm using ORS replenishing pak mixed with peppermint oil, grapeseed oil, almond oil and tea tree oil.

I think I am back in this game and can definitively reach APL this year, God Willing :)... I am almost 2 years post relaxer ( well 23 months now) and I sooo wish I can do wigs but my head is sooo big ( and i am serious, most hats don t feet my head :( ) Wearing a wig is just plain torture since they are so tight on my head. Once I take these braids out, I will probably start a crown and glory regimen type of this. I cannot get myself to remove these micros after only 2 months... It took 3 braiders 14 hours to put them in ( I was in africa and only paid 30$ for it, even though they asked about 20$ and I had a full pedicure with that when they were braiding, and the total was 20$...smh... When I gave them 30, they refused to take it saying it is too much...a whole other world...)
So yesterday I oiled my scalp, moisturized and seal again before baggying for the night... My edges are just my concern with these braids but I will put extra care on them...How are you guys doing?

Poutchi said:
I think I am back in this game and can definitively reach APL this year, God Willing :)... I am almost 2 years post relaxer ( well 23 months now) and I sooo wish I can do wigs but my head is sooo big ( and i am serious, most hats don t feet my head :( ) Wearing a wig is just plain torture since they are so tight on my head. Once I take these braids out, I will probably start a crown and glory regimen type of this. I cannot get myself to remove these micros after only 2 months... It took 3 braiders 14 hours to put them in ( I was in africa and only paid 30$ for it, even though they asked about 20$ and I had a full pedicure with that when they were braiding, and the total was 20$...smh... When I gave them 30, they refused to take it saying it is too much...a whole other world...)
So yesterday I oiled my scalp, moisturized and seal again before baggying for the night... My edges are just my concern with these braids but I will put extra care on them...How are you guys doing?

I know where you are coming from. When I use to get micros I would pay $12 to get it done in Guyana. Labor is so cheap there. They were done so well. I had them in for six months since I was pregnant.

OK, I'm joining....

~Current hair length: Layered...Front-lip length (6.5"), Crown-chin length (7.5"), Back-neck length (6")
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd: NATURAL!!!
~APL goal month: December 2012 (will need all the time I can get)
~Current Reggie and styling choices: wash bi-weekly, cowash weekly, DC weekly, M&S daily. I usually wear 2-strand twists or flat twists with ends pinned.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Protective styling including updos, twists, and braids; healthy eating

Starting pics....
xp0rom.jpg
2nqbhbs.jpg
69dq9u.jpg
2vs2ffa.jpg
Beautiful Hair... Can you share your straigthning process??? with all details please :)

December 22nd

Your hair maybe growing slowly right now because you cut it during the last quarter of December's moon phase. I'm no astrologist but I do pay attention to the moon phases and cut accordingly. Any hair cut after the full moon and before the new moon will grow out more slowly (great for maintaining a short cut). If you care to pay attention to this sort of thing :yep:

ETA: to boost your growth rate (or at least bring it back to normal) try dusting/trimming between March 22nd (new moon) - 29th (end of quarter) I'll be dusting at this time too because I missed January's new moon.

Last edited:
^^^Very interesting, but I don't really don't pay attention to the astrological charts and such when it comes to hair. Idk

I don't really look at my hair that often. I've been keeping it in Celie braids for weeks at a time.

I understand, I only pay attention because my grandmother (older family) swore by it having grown up on a farm (using harvest/moon phases/almanac for crops).

i can't detangle my hair. i am letting it airdry in twists and will dc again tomorrow or saturday. thank the Lord i bought some wigs. i'm not going to be able to do anything to my hair for awhile.

Hey Poutchi, If you buy your wigs online, they come in different sizes. They have a measurement chart so you can take the 3 measurements to figure out what size you need. Most people buy average, but wigs come in large and extra large. You should check it out.

That is sweet that you got your hair down for so little. Wow, imagine 3 people working for 14 hours and then spliting $20. I can't even wrap my head around it.

Man I need a new PS. I don't feel like wearing my half wig. I just want to put my hair away and not deal with it for a month. But I'm so cheap lol. Grr idk what to do

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Had a good work out tonight with my Bee Mine serum on the scalp. Cowashed with Suave Humectant condish. Feels good!

Sent by me being lazy on the couch on my Android

NikkiQ ummm...does a bun count? I really don't want to even look at my hair. Last time I had a low manip bun, I ended up with a tangled knot in my new growth. I can afford to get my hair braided, I just don't want to put out so much money at one time.

kupenda said:
NikkiQ ummm...does a bun count? I really don't want to even look at my hair. Last time I had a low manip bun, I ended up with a tangled knot in my new growth. I can afford to get my hair braided, I just don't want to put out so much money at one time.

How were you bunning your hair?

Sent by me being lazy on the couch on my Android

... I'm no astrologist but I do pay attention to the moon phases and cut accordingly. Any hair cut after the full moon and before the new moon will grow out more slowly (great for maintaining a short cut). If you care to pay attention to this sort of thing :yep:

ETA: to boost your growth rate (or at least bring it back to normal) try dusting/trimming between March 22nd (new moon) - 29th (end of quarter) I'll be dusting at this time too because I missed January's new moon.

kittenz - I have done the same in the past (cut hair based on the phase of the moon), I read that cutting hair leading up to/on a full moon makes one have quicker growth, fuller hair, etc ... but after reading NappyNelle blog I learned about lunatips.com- they have a unique approach to hair cutting during the lunar phase. In March they suggest cutting your hair after the full moon (which I read in the past was not a favorable time); NappyNelle's hair is beautiful so if it works for her ... I'm trying it for a little, see if it works for me, and reassess three months thereafter. By the way, if anyone checks the site out there are random things on there in reference to spirituality. I figure it's their choice to have their beliefs, whatever they may be. Doesn't mean they don't have good information IMO. (: guess I will find out ...

Last edited:
NaturalfienD Good luck with the LunaTips trimming. I've only been using it for seven months, in conjunction with PS and better treatments, and I do feel that my hair is doing better overall. Particularly, having a trimming schedule has really cut down on ssks and makes my hair look thicker than it actually is. Although curly/afro hair is suggested to be trimmed during Omega 2, I trim for longer, full bodied hair in Omega 5. :D

Last edited:
Going back to curly tomorrow. My roots have reverted back way too much. Reminding me too much of my relaxed days when I was in desperate need of a touch up.

Thanks NappyNelle for the heads up about the Omega 5 phase- I will have to try it out because those are the results I want! I will definitely keep you posted!! =]

By the way- your hair is the bizness ...

I just deep conditioned with aohsr and my hair feels a lot better. The uncle funky's products seem to be drying my hair out. I don't know if it's the twist outs or the products. I'm not going to throw it out yet because it may work better once I'm natural... My hair is growing out nicely though! Overall, I'm happy with my progress so far!

Back