APL 2012 Challenge

429028_10150619301143767_780253766_10882169_531964046_n.jpg

Love the colors you used!!! :love: You did a good job. How long are you gonna leave em in?

@NikkiQ : here is the wig :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ooooooooh I like that a lot!! Looks very natural on you and it really frames your face. Good choice.

Here are my latest and greatest pics of my hair air dry vs soaking wet. Sorry for the not so good images these pictures were taken using my blackberry :spinning: the camera also makes it appear as if I changed my hair color yet I did not that's a result of the camera and lighting.

What do you all think of my trim? :yep:

Dry or wet you can clearly see my thinning hair right on the top and center. It's so that both my left and right front continues to grow yet the top middle is thinning unsure why :perplexed

I think the trim really made a big difference. It looks so much healthier and lush now. I love your curls. How long has your top been thinning if you don't mind me asking? What products are you using? Maybe the ladies in here can give some recommendations.

Sprayed in my potion today. My spritz consists of:

Rosewater
Aloe Vera juice
Hot six oil
Coconut oil
Olive oil
Sweet orange oil
Argan oil

I love this mix. It makes my hair so soft and it really helps thicken up my edges.

That sounds like a DAMN GOOD MIX!! :lick:

Finally made my flax seed gel! Can't wait to use it on my mini twists!! I wanted to add some EVOO to it, but I forgot to grab some from the store; oh well next batch!!

Pictures or it didn't happen :giggle:

Scalp massaged today! I didn't really do it that much this week but I have been staying on top of my daily conditioning. I spritz my hair with water, then apply AvoSoya by Hairveda and use Whipped Ends Hydration by Hairveda also. I'm trying the LOC method and I'll see if it works for me or not.

Thats great i havent massaged my scalp in about 8 months i really need to put that technique back in my regi. Do you use any special oils on your scalp when doing this or nothing at all?

Hello Ladies,

Tonight I plan on doing the GHE because my scalp lovesss it. I know its encouraged to just add a little moisture to increase the release of sebum but I'm going to put my version of HTGE (hair trigger growth elixir) on my scalp too. The mix consists of:

Infusing castor oil with black tea (I used coconut oil instead cause that's how I roll)
Add cayenne pepper, MSM, onion and garlic oil (I used the powders which I'm sure didn't do a damn thing but I couldn't find the oils), as well as a couple of biotin caps. I put the mix in the oven for five hours on 200 degrees- strain and place in my applicator bottle. I add lemongrass EO to defunk the mix too. I have been using this mixture for about a month and I like it thus far-- I'm tryna make it to APL by December by any means necessary. (:

blueberryd said:
@HauteHippie
I recently found a stash of henna and cassia that I never even opened 0_0
lol anyways I want to use it up and was wondering how you do your cassia/henna gloss treatments?
TIA

blueberryd

I think the difference between a gloss and a treatment is the mixture.
I wasn't trying to dye my hair, I just wanted the conditioning properties so I didn't leave the mixture on for over 3 hours. You could use the mix immediately, but I'm lazy so I mix one day, apply the next and freeze my batch for next time.

I just mixed mine up with suave conditioner, a bit of tea I was done with drinking at the moment, (some Ginger, chammomile something or other) until it was the consistency of Greek yogurt. I let it sit overnight and added honey and safflower mayo the next day after reading that I could (hennaforhair.com is a great source and there are long henna and cassia threads on here. Those ladies know their stuff. I'm still a new henna head!)

Put it on my hair standing in the shower (but my mix was not watery/runny) and left it on for only an hour or so.

I rinsed my hair for like 20-30 minutes. Some girls rinse, then dip their hair in a bath/let it soak and then rinse again. I had a shower attachment last month (Ive moved) and realize that if i rinsed my hair just sitting on the toilet bent over the tub with the attachment close to my head, rinsing it out was easy.

I DC afterwards and sometimes steam with silk dreams vanilla silk, ORS DC or safflower mayo and honey. Air dried. Hair felt great!

Hope that helps!

sitting here with condish in my head...after the debacle in the shower im debating growing to bsl its hard enough now smdh i didnt sign up for this

^^^Thanks BlkOnyx488!! I probably will rock it. I should be already settled in Puerto Rico after our move so I should be able to have the time to blow it out again. Hopefully it'll be even bigger then :lol:

It's a washed out result of a dye I used months ago actually. It was originally red and turned into that color lol. If I wanted that color, I would never get it like this even if I tried. Amazing what happens when you don't plan it.

Love the colors you used!!! :love: You did a good job. How long are you gonna leave em in?

ooooooooh I like that a lot!! Looks very natural on you and it really frames your face. Good choice.

I think the trim really made a big difference. It looks so much healthier and lush now. I love your curls. How long has your top been thinning if you don't mind me asking? What products are you using? Maybe the ladies in here can give some recommendations.

That sounds like a DAMN GOOD MIX!! :lick:

Pictures or it didn't happen :giggle:
Thank You NikkiQ!!! I am sooooo new to caring for my natural hair and trimming whenever it needs a little added TLC! I sure wish my curls stayed like that when they air dry they normally shrink so fast within hour yet the Organic Coconut Oil is doing wonders on helping retain some length :-)

Unfortunately I notice my hair started to thin last fall. Looking back I believe I had an allergic reaction to using Desert Essence Jojoba Oil - it took forever to get over the irritation. Thank goodness Olive Oil with a baggy helped week to week. First my scalp was extremely itchy, then I could not rid the dandruff that soon followed until I used Nutrogena's T-Gel. My hair continued to grow yet the thin spot on top never seemed to fill in again.

As you can tell by today's pics hair all around that area is growing so I am unsure why this spot is so stubborn. The only products I currently use are the Organic Coconut Oil and Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Mask (see page 104 of the APL 2012 Challenge for a complete review of my reggie!) I know....I know....2 products is not a whole lot to use yet I am cautious now when wanting to put anything in my hair and scalp.

I am open to all recommendations!!! One I just read is KumakoXsd and lamaria211's scalp massaging.

How are people trimming the back of their hair? Can't think of anyone who I trust just to snip the ends and just the ends

Still loving my scalp massages! Keeping my hair straight and trying not to mess with it too much. SO did a quick length check without a tape measure or anything. He says I'm about an inch and a half from APL. Regardless of when I get there, I won't claim it until I'm obviously there. Not til I feel it rubbing my armpits. My front is about three or four inches from APL ladies, I can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I used my castor oil concoction and massaged my scalp. My hair is still in box braids no extensions. I know I am growing but I hope I'm retaining.

NikkiQ said:
Freshly blown out and lookin a SUPER hot mess! :lachen:

Sent by me being lazy on the couch on my Android

Love it... It's so thick and full. Hopefully one day I am brave enough to go natural.

TIP: if you are a natural that thinks you may have heat damage and contemplating trimming the heat damage away---sit under a steamer for about 45 minutes. I thought I was severely heat damaged--even after shampooing, chelating, deep conditioning etc, i still had bone straight sections. After sitting under the steamer, my curls are back :-) Just want you to try this before unnecessarily cutting all your progress off! I use the salon's r us steamer and am very happy with it. Hope this tip helps some one.
HHG!

Hi fellow challengers :)
I know I have been MIA and not yet posted a starting pic.. However, Im still on this challenge. I plan to relax my hair next week or the week after then I will have an official length check and post a pic. Its late but Im 18 weeks post. I do have a pic taken on 15 jan which I will post after I relax.

Im nursing my hair back to health and as soon as I handle and stop the breakage, I will relax.. Im hopeful that I will make it to my goal this year.

Currently Im in two french braids under my wig.

I'm still around...quiet...but still here.

I'm about 15 weeks into my transition and I've had my box braids for 3 weeks now. So far my transition has been super easy. Oddly enough, I'm not missing my hair at all. When my box braids are out in the next 3-5 weeks, I plan on getting a sew-in.

Ta ta for now...

Updating with what I'm doing today:

I have my sulfur/jbco mix on my scalp and over that is Chicoro's moisture-drenched prepoo which I will be keeping on my hair for about 1-2 hours. I will follow up with a mild shampoo - possibly KeraCare Hydrating and Detangling shampoo.

Then I will pour some Black tea/caffeine powder rinse over my hair and scalp, massage for a few minutes and on top of that I will add a deep protien treatment (KeraCare Restorative Mask) for 20 minutes. I will deep moisture condition with KeraCare Creme Humecto.

I want to also do the LOC (liquid, oil,cream) method for moisturizing and sealing. After that, I will GHE baggy overnight with this so my hair should be super happy in the morning

How are people trimming the back of their hair? Can't think of anyone who I trust just to snip the ends and just the ends
Mazza64 I trim my ends by splitting my hair in the back into 2 parts - I use a wide tooth comb to split these straight down the middle. I then do a 2 strand twist on each side, hold the end I want to snip and trim off. Hope this helps :-)

I trimmed my hair using Sheer Glory Styling sheer's. They were on sale at my local Sally's Beauty Supply for 9.99 you can buy them online here!

Last edited:
Still loving my scalp massages! Keeping my hair straight and trying not to mess with it too much. SO did a quick length check without a tape measure or anything. He says I'm about an inch and a half from APL. Regardless of when I get there, I won't claim it until I'm obviously there. Not til I feel it rubbing my armpits. My front is about three or four inches from APL ladies, I can't wait!

kupenda how do you do a scalp massages I posted my pics earlier showing my thinning scalp. Other members mentioned scalp massaging in their post yet how is it done? (Thanks! I am new to this!)

Checking in. I'm hoping to make at APL by the end of the year. When I joined this challenge, I think I may have be all optimistic and said August. I just took some updates and was like 'yeah I AM shoulder length' Well now I'm looking at them and am like 'Meow, you're LEANING.

Cornrowing and co-washing in the meantime.

Last edited:
My hair is getting bigger. So I'm happy. I haven't attempted any length checks in about 2 weeks....must be a record. :lachen: I am trying to refrain from checking till March.

hair looked nice yesterday. i didn't use a setting lotion, so the wind just took the curls away today. now i just have it all pinned up. lookin like a skid row prom queen contestant....

livinthevida hi! My scalp massages are very simple. I usually use an applicator bottle (from Sally's) with oil (whatever you like best. Mine is mostly castor with grapeseed, a tiny bit of coconut, some hot six oil, and a bit of jojoba and sweet almond oil) and then apply just a few squirts on my scalp in different places. Maybe four quick squirts. Then I put my fingers on my scalp (pads of my fingers, not my nails) and move them in small circles. I do it for about ten seconds, stop for a few, and start again. I do this for five minutes whenever I feel like it. You don't have to stop and start like I do. I just do it cuz I like the way my scalp starts to tingle lol. Afterwards I smooth my hair back down and do my best to not mess with it too much. Also, you may not always need to add oil the next time you decide to massage. I don't because there's usually a little bit already there from the day before. I used castor oil to bring my edges back after a bad sew in. I massaged them at least three times a week for a few mo this and then one day I realized they were back. I swear by castor oil. That stuff is amazing

Back