Anyone up for a "Use up your stash in 2010" challenge?

Okay my burnt sugar pomade, one leavein, and shine and define are gone. For February I used my purchase pass on an HAI Elite flat iron new from ebay for 76.00 it was just too good to pass up. So for February and March I'll keep myself from using those two passes unless I need something major ie: moisturizer, combing conditioner, comb etc.

Realizing my possible pjism potential. It hasn't even really started fully and I already want some new slippy conditioners to try omg. I'm not sure if I'm a pj or if I really need them. I can live without them but I think I should have them ahhhhhhhhhh LOL ok that's a tad too far but how do I suppress the desire to purchase?

Ok Ladies.......this is not a pass, but I need to explain!! I will have to buy a bottle of Aphogee 2-step and balancing moisturizer.... for my sister. She's experiencing breakage from her relaxer, and I offered to give her a treatment and steam at the weekend rather than her sepending the whole day at her very unreliable hairdressers. I'm able to offer this because of all the valuable knowledge I have gain, and continue to gain from you fab Ladies. I will make her take the bottles with her when I finish!!

Ok Ladies.......this is not a pass, but I need to explain!! I will have to buy a bottle of Aphogee 2-step and balancing moisturizer.... for my sister. She's experiencing breakage from her relaxer, and I offered to give her a treatment and steam at the weekend rather than her sepending the whole day at her very unreliable hairdressers. I'm able to offer this because of all the valuable knowledge I have gain, and continue to gain from you fab Ladies. I will make her take the bottles with her when I finish!!

Hey Sonia that sounds cool - there's no rules against giving little sis a treatment........ :grin:

:lachen:LOL, make sure she does.....

I started a similar thread in the Makeup Board but I'm overstocked on hair products too.

I plan to use up what I have before I buy anything new.

I am washing my children's hair more often and they use a ton of conditioner!!

I also donated some things to the local woman's shelter.

I am putting the extra money saved on not buying makeup, skin/hair products, clothing, shoes and restaurant meals towards paying down my mortgage.

I want to know what it feels like to pay off a house!!

I still havent used anything up yet. Im sad too.....

Cmon girl keep your chin up or get creative like me ....

Ladies here is my update (am feeling mighty proud if I do say so myself):

1. Sold my Nexxus Keraphix and Headress on eBay. I knew I was never going to use it and I hate it. I also had lost the receipt so couldn't take it back (cost me 18 GBP or about $25 US money for the Keraphix alone).

2. Sold my Phyto Relaxer also on ebay now that I am transitioning and will never use it.

3. Have loads of other stuff for sale which is currently being bid on.

4. Took back loads of stuff I still had receipts for to my local BSS's where I bought them. Got back about 25 pounds GBP (@ $40). It was mainly ORS stuff I know I will not use as I am weaved up at the MO and ORS products are too heavy and greasy for weaves . :grin: :yay:

5. For the stuff they wouldn't give me money back for I got a better quality product that I have been eyeing for ages. I took back a whole load of hair rollers and cholesterol condish I have not used and got the Joico Moisture Recovery as I wanted to know what all the deal was about???

6. Gave some stuff to my Mum as I know she will appreciate not having to spend a fortune...

ETA: 7. I also took back my new flat Irons/ hair straighteners (Babyliss) to Boots as they were so crap and got 45 GBP (about $60) back.

Anyway ladies I will keep updating.....

Last edited:
^^^Good work StellaGirl, I have a curling iron I bought from Ulta that I might be able to return...I'll think about it.

In the last two weeks, I haven't used anything up either, but that's okay with me. A few products in my stash that I'm really liking have been discontinued and I'll be sad when they are gone.

I'm also working with about a half dozen products. I made a schedule with everything I will use each day. I'm gonna update that schedule every two weeks. It keeps me from grabbing random products without thinking how they will work together. I'm also gonna try to using up stuff by product line.

Oh that is so good Stella. I dont have as much stuff as some of you ladies have so it possible for me to use my stuff up.
As far as the moisturizer I have been upping that to 2x/day so that I can get some of that stuff oil the way.

Stella that's a great idea. I think I'll give my sister some of my products so that she can start her healthy hair journey too!

Thanks ladies for the encouragement - I really appreciate it. Its nice to clear some of this stuff as it feels quite freeing. I think I bought sooooooo much in the first few months of my hair journey bc my head was spinning from all the recommendations on the board.... Its so easy to get caught up in the PJism and hope the next product will be a miracle one....:rolleyes:.

I think from now on I will go slooooowwww and only buy on recs with other ladies with my hair type. I am actually making Fotki freinds with my hair type so hopefully this should save me money in the future..

^^^Good work StellaGirl, I have a curling iron I bought from Ulta that I might be able to return...I'll think about it.

In the last two weeks, I haven't used anything up either, but that's okay with me. A few products in my stash that I'm really liking have been discontinued and I'll be sad when they are gone.

I'm also working with about a half dozen products. I made a schedule with everything I will use each day. I'm gonna update that schedule every two weeks. It keeps me from grabbing random products without thinking how they will work together. I'm also gonna try to using up stuff by product line.

The shedule sounds like a fantastic idea as then you know you are using stuff and then can work out if it is working for you. If you know you don;t need the Irons/ have others and they are just gathering dust and are not useful to you I would defo return them if you can. For me its so nice to have more space in my bathroom. :grin:

Oh that is so good Stella. I dont have as much stuff as some of you ladies have so it possible for me to use my stuff up.
As far as the moisturizer I have been upping that to 2x/day so that I can get some of that stuff oil the way.

You are lucky there because there will be less to work through... :2cool:

I have not used up much but I will be posting a sale this weekend.

Go for it girl. Not only will you liberate yourself of stuff but you will also make some cash... :yay:

Stella that's a great idea. I think I'll give my sister some of my products so that she can start her healthy hair journey too!

Let me tell you people always appreciate freebies ! :yep:

I've given some of my stuff away and used up almost all my greg juice and garnier that combo isnt too bad. So after this all I'll have left is aubrey conditioners for my rinse conditioner and deep conditioner then I'll have to buy more

I've updated my list and remove some things that I know that will always be in my stash.

Conditioners

Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus Mango
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor (mild protein
Jason Natural Biotin Conditioner
Mills Creek Keratin Conditioner (protein)
Aubrey Organics GPB Balancing Conditioner (mild protein)
Nexxus Emergencee (mild to moderate protein
Silicon Mix Conditioner(gone)
Joico K Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor (protein
Giovanni smooth as silk
Elasta DRP
Biosilk smoothing
Sunsilk hyrda
Healthy sexy hair
aussie conditioner
Aussie 3min(gone)
Yes to carrot conditioner
Herbal essense
Hair one

Leave ins
healthy Sexy (gone
Neutrgena leave in
Rusk calm

Shampoo
VO 5 strawsberry and cream (gone)
VO 5 tea therapy (2 left)
VO 5 clarify
VO 5 Herbal escape
Nature Made

Ayurveda
Amla
Hibiscus
Brahmi
Fenugreek
Maka
Shikaki(gone)

Moisturizer Oil
Afroveda Skikaki elixir
Afroveda Hibiscus
Afroveda Sunsilk
Afroved Priti
Vatika oil
Hairveda vatika gone
carrot creme
Cantu strenthening
Hawaiian silky 14-1
Elasta Recovery

Custard
Afroveda totally twisted(sample jars)
Afroveda Curly custard(sample jar)
Cocolatte mask(sample jar)
Qhemet burdock root(gone)
Qhemet Amla heavy(sample jar)

Gel
Fantancia IC serum
Fantancia IC gel
Twist and lock

Last edited:
yeh .... so you ladies feeling relived to see the stash going down. I must say I have found this week to be kinda mixed. I got rid of a load of stuff but at the same time I was so tempted to load up my iHerb cart. I really had to restrain myself but I made it through another week :yay:

It really helps I think that I know that I always have this challenge in the back of my mind. I have saved SOOOOO much money this month and my bathroom is looking a lot less cluttered.

Hope you're all keeping well. :grin:

Everyone is doing great! I don't feel as bad as before after reviewing my stash I know most of the things were brought last year was during my transitioning and now that it will be over I can concentrate on keeping my staples.

Updated my list - now 15 products down!! YIPPEE!!

- Shampoos
Nexxus Therappe Shampoo
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Hair One – Jojoba
L’anza Clarfying Shampoo
ION swimmers shampoo
Alpecin Caffine Shampoo
Cream of Nature – Blue Label

- Conditioners
Phyto Organics Enphuse Reconstructor
Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Aphogee Balancing Moisturiser
Aphogee Keratin 2-min Reconstructor
Aphogee 2-step protein treatment
Waitrose Organic Moisturising Conditioner
ORS Olive Oil replenishing Conditioner
Australian Organics Volumising Conditioner
Australian Organics Nourishing restorative Conditioner
Naked Hydrating Conditioner (finished)
Naked Fortifying Conditioner
Aussie 3-minute miracle moist (finished)
James Brown Intensive Mask (finished)
Elasta QP DPR11 (finished)
Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum
Pantene Pro-v Triple Amino Instant repair treatment (gave away)
Avalon Organics Clarifying Conditioner
Nexus Emergencee
Herbal Essences Breakage Defender
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (gave away)
Ovation Cell Therapy
Silicon Mix
Mega-Tek x 2
Motions CPR protein Reconstructor
Motions Moisture Plus
Motion CPR treatment conditioner

L'Oreal Elvive Replenishing Conditioner x 2

- Leave Ins
Profectiv anti-breakage strengthener(gave away)
Motions CPR Triple action leave-in conditioner
African Royale leave-in
Infusium 23
Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1
Virgin Hair Fertiliser
Paltas Leave-in Conditioning Spray
Soft Sheen Optimum Oil Therapy
Mizani H20 Intense (gave away)

- Mosturisers
Organics Leave-in hair mayonnaise (gave away)
Organics Shea Butter plus
Kids Organics Shea butter moisturising lotion (gave away)
ORS Shea Butter
S Curl Activator
Elasta QP Mango Butter (gave away)

- Oils & Essential Oils & Butters
Shea Butter (finished)
Homemade Garlic Oil
Brahmi Oil
West Indian Castor Oil x 2 (one left)
Jojoba Oil
Amla Oil
Vatika Oil
VO5 Hot Oil
Soft and Free Growth Oil x 2
Peppermint oil
Palm oil
Coconut oil
Tea Tree
Avocado Oil

- Herbal & Ayurvedic Products
Amla Powder x 2 boxes
Black Henna x 2 boxes + 200g
Neutral Henna 200g
Shikakai Powder
Neem Powder
Fenugreek Powder 200g
Flowers of Sulpher 100g
Shikakai Shampoo bar
Aritha Shampoo bar

- Styling products
Fantasia IC Hair Polisher
Ecostyler Clear Gel
Taiykel flat ironing crème
Profectiv Smoother Polisher (gave away)
Motions wrap lotion
Aussie heat protection

- Etc
Triple Rose Water
Fruits of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel x2
Roux Porosity Control x2(finished 1)
MTG

Last edited:
I have been giving away and using up things left and right. I feel like I get rid of one item and another shows up magically. NO I HAVE NOT bought anything.

I must admit though I got a twinge when I saw those containers in B_Phlyy's post. I was like now where can I get that, fortuantely she explained, so I am now doing the same thing. I had 5 bottles of Hairveda daily moisturizer that I put into an old bottle of Afro Hair Detangler from Grow Afro Hair Long.

That made a lot of space in the cabinet, so now I am going to do the same with my VO5 and Suave. I am going to use some old containers I had and place them in these.

I litterally have a closthes basket full of hair appliances such as blow dryers, pressing combs, hot irons, etc. I am going to try to give away.

Hi ladies/ fellow stash shrinkers, just checking in for the week.

As you know I had a mammoth eBay sale last week so have shrunk my stash a bit (will update my list after this email).

Also I was just looking through your lists and noticed that we have all been giving away loads. As such I thought it might be an idea to maybe swap stuff between us so that we can end up with things we like and are more willing to use (i.e. staples) and then not feel bogged down by that conditioner which we never liked but will forcibly make ourselves use.... ladies you know which products I am talking about here.

I felt much more relived last week when I took stuff I knew I had never used and would never used back to the BSS.

I have also spied some of my staples amongst your lists so maybe everyone else has done the same. I am continuing with my sale on eBay (which also includes beauty products, shoes and clothes - my PJism is not limited to hair). I am doing it slowly bc its just too depressing to list hundreds of things on eBay all at once... :rolleyes:

Finally I am exercising my pass this month to buy some Emu oil for my scalp Oil Mix. As per previous habit I will not be buying a litre of the stuff but will start with 100 ml to see how I get on with it..... :rolleyes:

Keep checking in my fellow PJ sisters...... :2cool:

Updated my list - now 15 products down!! YIPPEE!!

- Conditioners
Naked Hydrating Conditioner (finished)
Aussie 3-minute miracle moist (finished)
James Brown Intensive Mask (finished)
Elasta QP DPR11 (finished)

- Leave Ins
Profectiv anti-breakage strengthener(gave away)
Mizani H20 Intense (gave away)

I :love: the Mizani H20 intense BTW

- Mosturisers
Organics Leave-in hair mayonnaise (gave away)
Kids Organics Shea butter moisturising lotion (gave away)
Elasta QP Mango Butter (gave away)

Like the Elasta too........ :dream:

- Oils & Essential Oils & Butters
Shea Butter (finished)
West Indian Castor Oil x 2 (one left)

- Styling products
Profectiv Smoother Polisher (gave away)

- Etc
Roux Porosity Control x2(finished 1)

:yay: :yay: :yay: :dance7:

I have been giving away and using up things left and right. I feel like I get rid of one item and another shows up magically. NO I HAVE NOT bought anything.

I must admit though I got a twinge when I saw those containers in B_Phlyy's post. I was like now where can I get that, fortuantely she explained, so I am now doing the same thing. I had 5 bottles of Hairveda daily moisturizer that I put into an old bottle of Afro Hair Detangler from Grow Afro Hair Long.

That made a lot of space in the cabinet, so now I am going to do the same with my VO5 and Suave. I am going to use some old containers I had and place them in these.

I litterally have a closthes basket full of hair appliances such as blow dryers, pressing combs, hot irons, etc. I am going to try to give away.

Last edited:
Use two more products this weekend:happydance:
Stellagirl76 do you think it will be better to remove it from the list or highlight?
Removing it will make me feel better:grin:

Also just wanted to ask every one else why they felt their PJism got out of control. Mine was due to joining the board and wanting to try out all the products recommendations in the early months.... does anyone else feel that this was the case for them. The reason I ask this is because I see a lot of "board rave" products on everyone's list. It seems like the same products keep popping up on everyone's list....

Use two more products this weekend:happydance:
Stellagirl76 do you think it will be better to remove it from the list or highlight?
Removing it will make me feel better:grin:

:wave: Ltown - just do what you feel most comfortable with. Personally I am moving my used products to the top of my list and highlighting them in red.

I think its good to keep a list of the items you have used so that when we finish the challenge we know what he had and liked and what we didn't so we don;t make the same mistakes again...

Last edited:
Also just wanted to ask every one else why they felt their PJism got out of control. Mine was due to joining the board and wanting to try out all the products recommendations in the early months.... does anyone else feel that this was the case for them. The reason I ask this is because I see a lot of "board rave" products on everyone's list. It seems like the same products keep popping up on everyone's list....

That's exactly why I have so many things, but because of this I'm not consistant with anything, so really don't know what works for me!!!

That's exactly why I have so many things, but because of this I'm not consistant with anything, so really don't know what works for me!!!

Maybe it would be useful then for us to do VERY HONEST reviews on products we really really liked or really really hated so that we can make informed decisions from eveyones experiences....:scratchchin:

Congrats stella, ltown, and sonia!! You guys are doing a great job! :yay:

Mscocoface, there is a theory that when something is used up or almost used up, little naked men appear in the night and refill the bottles. Maybe they are bringing more products to your house too. :sekret:

I finished my jar of whipped shea butter and coconut oil and made a new jar with the last of my unrefined shea butter, some coconut oil, and lots of Almond Oil. I'll be using that as a skin moisturizer until it's gone, and then shea butter will never again darken my doorway.

On the conditioner front, I'm working my way steadily through my Organix Coconut Milk and Nexxus Humectress. I think I still have three or four weeks worth left in the Coconut Milk. In the Nexxus Humectress, I have about two more DCs left over, so I fully expect for that to be gone by the end of January at the latest. After it's used up, I'm going to start in on the Silicon Mix.

And I'm going to start DCing twice a week instead of once. I was DCing on Saturdays or Sundays only, but I'm going to start doing it on Thursdays and Sundays.
For the three weeks that I was at home, I was DCing twice a week and my hair seemed to truly enjoy it. And I'll use up things faster. :look:

As for why my PJism burgeoned out of control....I was impatient and too curious. I always felt like my hair could be softer, shinier, moister, stronger...and I was always looking for something to give it that extra thing it was missing. And the rave reviews would just suck me in. I'm still looking..I'm not gonna lie. But I have to put my search on hold for a while and get through what I have.
And I wanted long hair faster than humanly possible. I thought that if I bought all the products that the ladies raved about, my hair would grow longer faster.
NOPE. :lachen:
Still as slow as ever. So now, I know to just use what I have, take care of my hair, and be patient. The length will come.

Phew, that was long. :spinning:

Oh! Inquiring minds want to know...what are you ladies using your pass on?

I got caught up with PJ because I am transitioning working with two texture the buy one get free sales, VO 5 coupon 8 for $2.00 and ayurveda powder mixing with cheap conditioner and because it was summer I was cowashing 4 times a week. Chaosbutterfly you broke it down well. I'm going to mix some things to use up too add some oils to the cheap conditioner.

Back