Anyone NOT going to see Chris Rock's movie, "Good Hair?"

I'll pass.....actually I don't think I would pay to see any type of HAIR DOCUMENTARY movie unless....UNLESS...some lady had proven to grow her hair from BC to waistlength in 30 days and documented it....he-he...

I have no intentions of seeing that movie. The title alone speaks volumes about the dualistic nature of our thinking as a whole society. (e.g. "good" and "bad")...And that's a whole other topic altogether...

To me "good hair" is healthy hair. And really, that's what I feel everyone should be trying to achieve, and while we have come a long way technologically speaking (e.g. healthier, effective, and innovative approaches to ethnic hair care), we struggle to match culturally, sociologically, and intellectually. And the multiplicity of our setbacks will continue to thrive and increase as long as we perpetuate these mixed messages like "You should love your natural hair, but I expect my date to manipulate hers so I can run my hands through it", as this film seems to be doing. I will not endorse it.

oh geez where to begin....

first of all this movie is not for "US" (hair forum ladies).
Every movie is not intended for everybody and this doc. will provide us with little to no new information because we are already so well informed.
That being said, it will bring a new perspective to many other audiences. My bf, for example, was pretty much amazed at the things that he learned in the 2 minute preview. "Indian hair really comes from India?" "Man so relaxers really must be made out a strong chemical!" "Dang I didn't know X celebrity's hair was fake!!" <--- even though I told him it was a weave he didn't believe me 'til she came out and said it- lol!

Of course it's biased and there are areas left unexplored. Even the documentary god Michael Moore's movies get the same criticism.

And someone commented about Oscar buzz, with the Capitalism: A Love Story (M. Moore) out and a host of other brilliant docs out this year... don't worry- he won't win

And i don't see the issue with it being titled "Good Hair." Its a terminology used in our community and was the catalyst for his expose. (And he clearly doesn't like the term either)

also, all these bootleg comments. Is it really that serious? You have such a huge problem with this movie that you are going to make it a point to avoid it in theatres then when it hits bootleggers you'll basically steal for it?..... (bootlegging and the support of it is stealing, piracy, and 100% illegal)

I think its fine for people not to want to see the movie, do you! but just some people's reasoning seems a little off to me....

I have no intentions of seeing that movie. The title alone speaks volumes about the dualistic nature of our thinking as a whole society. (e.g. "good" and "bad")...And that's a whole other topic altogether...

To me "good hair" is healthy hair. And really, that's what I feel everyone should be trying to achieve, and while we have come a long way technologically speaking (e.g. healthier, effective, and innovative approaches to ethnic hair care), we struggle to match culturally, sociologically, and intellectually.
And the multiplicity of our setbacks will continue to thrive and increase as long as we perpetuate these mixed messages like "You should love your natural hair, but I expect my date to manipulate hers so I can run my hands through it", as this film seems to be doing. I will not endorse it.

The bolded is actually why I think Good Hair is a great title. I agree with your definition of good hair, but it a phrase common in our community with a complete different definition. It immediatly opens up the dialogue.

i started reading all the posts, but i couldn't read all that lol. but i heard him guest hosting the Steve Harvey Morning Show with Nia Long yesterday along with the producer of 'Good Hair' and the way they talked I really wanted to see it. I had no idea that you guys felt so strongly against it. Nia Long said she really learned something and even went back to the ol' Nia with the short hair cut...no more weaves.

Sorry if that was already posted somewhere in here. Otherwise, I was not offended...every perm i've had did burn me in some way, and I only had ONE sew-in for a week that I couldn't stand, but i'm not knocking his movie.

Come on, the majority of black women in show business (or walking down the street) do wear weaves and relaxers so of course thats what he's going to tackle head on.

To each her own i suppose....

oh geez where to begin....

first of all this movie is not for "US" (hair forum ladies).
Every movie is not intended for everybody and this doc. will provide us with little to no new information because we are already so well informed.
That being said, it will bring a new perspective to many other audiences. My bf, for example, was pretty much amazed at the things that he learned in the 2 minute preview. "Indian hair really comes from India?" "Man so relaxers really must be made out a strong chemical!" "Dang I didn't know X celebrity's hair was fake!!" <--- even though I told him it was a weave he didn't believe me 'til she came out and said it- lol!

Of course it's biased and there are areas left unexplored. Even the documentary god Michael Moore's movies get the same criticism.

And someone commented about Oscar buzz, with the Capitalism: A Love Story (M. Moore) out and a host of other brilliant docs out this year... don't worry- he won't win

And i don't see the issue with it being titled "Good Hair." Its a terminology used in our community and was the catalyst for his expose. (And he clearly doesn't like the term either)

also, all these bootleg comments. Is it really that serious? You have such a huge problem with this movie that you are going to make it a point to avoid it in theatres then when it hits bootleggers you'll basically steal for it?..... (bootlegging and the support of it is stealing, piracy, and 100% illegal)

I think its fine for people not to want to see the movie, do you! but just some people's reasoning seems a little off to me...

totally agree with both. My mom STILL says good hair and she goes on forums and youtube as much as I do and i cringe whenever she says it.

I'm not sure. I was definitely going to go see it, if for nothing other than the entertainment value. But these days, I am feeling less and less like seeing it. I don't like what seems to be the implication that a black woman with a decent length of hair is wearing a weave. :(

I don't plan to see it. It's another way for some Comedian\Star to make money off his own people. Black women have been kowing and learning about their hair for the entire life. He's not getting my money!

Refuse to pay money to support the perpetuation of the stereotype. :nono:

Have no issue with bootlegging though. Particularly since I have heard him "mention" it in his routines. So if you got a link - Holla! :yep:

Last edited:
him running from that big hair ball in the preview is stupid too.

and did yal see that huge vat of relaxer! good lawd!

The bolded is actually why I think Good Hair is a great title. I agree with your definition of good hair, but it a phrase common in our community with a complete different definition. It immediatly opens up the dialogue.

Definitely the title of the film itself is not a top priority in terms of challenging the film's merit! Perhaps my aversion to the expression is wrought with bias. I was involved with a man (black) who, when my hair became the topic of discussion, remarked that "everything is okay" because I have "the good hair". That made me feel really bad...and I asked myself how this man perceives women who don't have what he would call "good hair", and all I could think about was the dozens of 4abc types, particularly on LHCF, with hair that I could only dream of, natural or otherwise! I'm mulatto, but my hair type is not what one with these ill preconceived notions of attractive and unattractive hair would refer to as "good hair", because it's primarily 4a. So when he said that I was immediately self-conscious. And that's not cool, because how is my hair to be judged by something I cannot control nor plan? I was born with this hair and as long as it is healthy, I am happy because THAT is good. I felt insulted, and I felt like if constantly we are separating hair types into "good" and "bad", then the stereotypes will never even have the chance to dissipate. And what's more is that people without good hair consistently bear the brunt of society's, and more specifically, the black community's implicit disregard for the vicious cycle this idea feeds on. It's not a secret, extensions, weaves, relaxers, they're a staple among the black community, and while I am not knocking any of them, I feel this is largely due to the fact that we have persisted the idea that "bad hair" must be covered up, ignored, neglected, manipulated, damaged beyond recognition simply because of its very nature and how we feel about it. Maybe if we didn't support the use of this expression, less women would feel inferior to "good hair" because of their "bad hair". I've never heard or seen someone refer to someone else's hair as being bad, but it is implied with this expression. But you're right...it does open the dialogue right up...and it's a very heavy topic...that being said, I've vented enough... or have I?

*Note: I am not a militant natural. :lachen: I strongly support personal choice, obviously...just not silliness.

I'm just curious to know if anyone is NOT going to see this movie. I have no intention of seeing it because the name alone offends me. Perhaps it just brings up bad memories of people picking on me and not liking me when I was growing up because of my supposedly, "good hair." That I thought I was too good to play with them. When in actuality I was a tomboy and preferred to hang out with my brother and his friends.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but I just wanted to say that I feel you - not because I had that problem but I have friends that were treated that way; it's simply not on. We're all sistas, we should be seeking to build each other up..

I was not planning to see it, but after seeing Chris on Oprah today, I may go this weekend. Chris always makes me laugh.

I know this is an old topic. But hey... I just got around to seeing the movie.

The movie had a deliberate anti-weave, anti-relaxer message, and supported the negatives well, yet offered very little hope for an alternative (the one lady with natural hair was a weak attempt.)

I think it was straight up anti-relaxer for kids, which most of us would agree, but again, it didn't offer a positive alternative. It might have helped to let the high school girl with natural hair speak for herself instead of just sit their cringing as her classmates slammed her.

I think the end message was basically do what you like, though. Ice-T cracked me up.

It was better than I thought it would be so I'm glad I did see the movie.

I know one thing though... I'm NOT putting someone else's hair on my head. Lice indeed! I don't care if the lice were plucked out! And I don't want to wear hair that might have been "stolen" at a movie theater!

If I ever did get a weave, I'd get synthetic (or get a synthetic wig.)

^^^^

I finally saw this, just yesterday from the Redbox. Soooo glad I only paid $1 because that is about all it was worth.

While Chris Rock was funny, the movie didn't have much to do with "good hair" in the traditional sense. All the celebs he chose to talk were lame. The lady with the natural hair was the only one who had anything of importance to say. I mean, Melissa Ford as a hair expert? really????

I'm glad my sister didn't take my niece to see this because there were a lot of adult themes going on. I'll hold my comments on that, so as not to offend anyone.

I thought it was one of the most poorly produced documentaries I have ever seen. I watched it with my boyfriend and he was like, "What is the point of this movie?" He even knows how into hair care I am. He also knows that I don't spend a thousand dollars on weaves (I don't wear them at all, actually), I take care of my own real hair, and I have a relaxer and don't hate myself.

It was full of stereotypes, vulgar, broken venacular, there wasn't really any moral or point in the in end except to say "look at how desperate black women are for white hair!" When he told the Indian woman to watch out for black women (who might cut her hair off), I damn near turned the DVD off.

*******ok, end of rant. I could go on, but I'm so late on this topic lol *********

I saw it. I thought he made black women look like they were desperate to have long and straight hair. There were almost no displays of naturals.

Back