Anyone NOT going to see Chris Rock's movie, "Good Hair?"

Well After watching Oprah on youtube. I did laugh at the slave comment. IMO I thought it was funny, but I can understand why people can be offended. As for his had being thirsty its more so falls back on the women he dated who told him that he couldn't touch their hair. So I understood his point. I remember when I had relaxers and I would tell my husband (then my boyfriend) that he couldn't mess up my hair. Or he could only handle it a certain way. Now that I'm all natural he can do what ever, when ever...lol At the same time I will not see the movie in theaters, not worth the money. I wouldn't mind getting a glance at it through netflix or something. By the looks of it, they are trying to prevent it from coming out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5S4CWM_dak

If I ever have a daughter I would teach her to love what God gave her. If she wants to alter it just for her and not for no one else who are we to argue. Thats why I liked LHCF vs others because you can be proud on what ever way you choose to do your hair as long as we encourage the love of God, self and others.... Right?

I understand he is a comic, but that turned me off as well.

Well said.

I was so annoyed when he was going through Oprah's hair like it was the best feeling ever!:rolleyes: I was like '...and you want your daughter to be proud of her natural hair!' Look at her dad going gaga over relaxed hair!

I don't think that was his point. It was that it wasn't a weave where you can't feel the scalp, or there is fear or loosening the weave from the scalp.

I SAW THE MOVIE ON 9/22.

I thought it was good. :look:

Because I've been on hairboards for 5 years I can't say that I learned a whole lot of new stuff but it was entertaining to watch.

I've watched reviews of the movie on youtube and I think folks are being unfair. Even if you did a Ken Burns Civil War 15 part documentary, you still wouldn't catch every nook and cranny nuance behavior, response and reaction to black hair.

The aspects of black hair care that Chris Rock was able to cover in two hours are thorough and I think very even handed.

I'm not going to knock it if folks don't want to see the film for whatever reason, but at the same time if you have paid to see a movie about black people ackin all coonish in the recent past, I'm at a loss for why this film would cause a vitriolic reaction. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

I don't think I'll go see it. I'll just wait for it at the Redbox and pay $1.00. I have to say that I planned on seeing it, but after watching Mr. Rock on his promo rounds - I don't like the vibe he's giving me about our hair. :(

I don't think that was his point. It was that it wasn't a weave where you can't feel the scalp, or there is fear or loosening the weave from the scalp.

Yes, I got that. He could not believe it was all her hair. Later on they showed a clip from his movie where a woman had her hair relaxed and he said something like 'wow, I can put my hand through and I still have my ring'!

I agree with GeeLove. The movie doesn't adress his initial concern, which is teaching his daughters to love the hair they have.

And am I the only one annoyed with Chris and other black mens fascination with running their fingers through hair? The fact is, you can't do that with coils/kinks/naps. So how can you teach your daughters to love everything about their hair when you clearly covet a quality in your own woman's hair tat your daughters will never have...unless they relax.

ugh i know! :wallbash: that comment about him running his fingers through a black woman's hair and being surprised that his ring was still on REALLY pissed me off. i don't see the point in him making the movie if he was still going to have negative things to say about black hair.

thats the same thing i asked myself when he made that stupid comment.

Last edited:
Meh. I consider the source when I decide to see a movie and when I think about Black hair I do NOT think Chris Rock.

I'll pass. I'm uninterested anyway.

I Can't Wait to see this film. In my opinion, it documents what we as women go through. I'm under the impression that the film focuses on women of color, but also exposes white women as well and their perils with their hair. Women EVERYWHERE have issues with their hair, but black women by far have the most versatile yet sometimes difficult hair. So I'm going to see this movie and I hope that women of all races see it and are enlightened by what we will do for the sake of our hair.

I do hope that this documentary has a bit of history to show how we as black women have gotten to where we are now, sometimes hating our hair, and hiding it and doing everything under the sun to change what we were given naturally.

But on a different note, I really DID NOT appreciate his comment (Chris Rock) about Oprah looking like a slave in her photo. And I can't believe she didn't feel offended, and if she did, she should have addressed it to him right then and there.

Nope. I really don't care that much...I ain't gonna pay my $$$ to go see it, maybe when it comes on TV or online. I can pay that $7.00 bucks for my beloved hairveda shampoo bar to get a growin. I'm not at all interested in the "Deep Side" of hair...to me its hair and I want it long.

i'm not I feel like it's going to make a mockery of AA hair, I wish someone would do a documentary on AA women who take care of their hair and have grown their hair to nice lengths . I just get tired of when our hair is talked about it's always weave this weave that just stresses me out.

and my man touches my hair all the darn time I love scalp massages, in a commercial clip they have it as if you can't touch a black womens hair without consequences lol!!!!

I Can't Wait to see this film. In my opinion, it documents what we as women go through. I'm under the impression that the film focuses on women of color, but also exposes white women as well and their perils with their hair. Women EVERYWHERE have issues with their hair, but black women by far have the most versatile yet sometimes difficult hair. So I'm going to see this movie and I hope that women of all races see it and are enlightened by what we will do for the sake of our hair.

I do hope that this documentary has a bit of history to show how we as black women have gotten to where we are now, sometimes hating our hair, and hiding it and doing everything under the sun to change what we were given naturally.

But on a different note, I really DID NOT appreciate his comment (Chris Rock) about Oprah looking like a slave in her photo. And I can't believe she didn't feel offended, and if she did, she should have addressed it to him right then and there.

Maybe I am wrong....

Everyone is entitled to spend their money as they see fit. No encouragement/or discouragement.

Why is everyone thinking that a comic is going to give a "documentary" type movie about this issue?

I expect it will be funny (if you like chris rock humor) and also show some of our strange behaviors in a joking way.

This is just like when Steve harvey did a relationship book and people wanted to have issues w/ his content...He stated from the jump it was from his experience.

I think this movie (from what I can see) will be his vision of what he finds funny, strange or interesting about women and hair.

If people are expecting something really deep; I promise Chris Rock will not be the one to go deep.

Just my thoughts.

I don't plan on seeing it. I haven't been following so I really don't even know exactly what he's trying to say with this. Maybe I'll change my mind if I ever look into it.

I don't plan on seeing it. I haven't been following so I really don't even know exactly what he's trying to say with this. Maybe I'll change my mind if I ever look into it.

Same here..and to be honest I've avoided watching any interview Chris has done about this movie to insulate myself against annoying backlash or negative side affects the movie might have. Like most things in the media, I feel like if I ignore it, it doesn't matter :lachen:

I'm also kind of over the good hair/bad hair discussion too - the situation seems obvious to me. I just want every black woman to love their hair in whatever style they choose (I know I love mine) -that's an easier battle to take on IMO.

I was going to until he made the comment on oprah that she looked like a slave in one of her old hair pics.

I'll wait til it hits cable.

I didnt like that either. I remember my ex said I looked like a slave when I wore my natural hair.

I want to see it only because I'm curious. He probably wont go really deep into because he is a comedian after all.

lol - I gotta say, since being natural it's very possible that your ring will caught in my hair if you run your fingers through it - I'm not ashamed :lachen:

That's kind of what I'm scared of...I mean, I'm going to watch the movie. The tickets on Sunday are cheap, I like hair, and there are people to see it with me, so why not. I'm not trying to see it to learn anything though. That's what LHCF is for.

But I think that people of other races will watch it, and be like...OHHH, and suddenly think they know everything there is to know about black hair, when they really have no idea. I'm not trying to hear a bunch of people who think they can tell me about MY hair, when the only thing they know about it is what a comedian said in a documentary. There is nothing more annoying than someone who thinks they know everything about something, but really knows nothing at all.

If Good Hair was more comprehensive or balanced, or even if it was actually celebratory of black hair (maybe looking at natural hair and how versatile it is, how people with natural hair feel about it, stuff like that), then I'd feel differently about it, I think.
But since Chris Rock doesn't know what the hell he's talking about...then there you go. :rolleyes:

Why is everyone thinking that a comic is going to give a "documentary" type movie about this issue?

If people are expecting something really deep; I promise Chris Rock will not be the one to go deep.

Just my thoughts.

I agree, and I'm not expecting Chris Rock to be "deep" at all.

I'm just annoyed at the fact that the whole purpose of him doing this movie was to teach his daughter to love her own hair and the movie is doing the exact opposite. And then his words/actions continue to put relaxed hair on a pedestal, even though that's not what his daughters have.

I know it'd be too much to expect a complete paradigm shift from Chris Rock, but I'm really kind of offended by his support of the current status quo.

I agree, and I'm not expecting Chris Rock to be "deep" at all.

I'm just annoyed at the fact that the whole purpose of him doing this movie was to teach his daughter to love her own hair and the movie is doing the exact opposite. And then his words/actions continue to put relaxed hair on a pedestal, even though that's not what his daughters hair.
I know it'd be too much to expect a complete paradigm shift from Chris Rock, but I'm really kind of offended by his support of the current status quo.

See, I dont see that..

I see him taking a uncomfortable subject (making his little girl love her natural hair when all she sees is straight hair) and making a funny exploration of the stuff that women do.

It may emphasize the relaxer,weave, wig, part more than the natural part b/c lets face it...its funny. It is funny to see the women in the camios talking about their weaves and how they lost hair trying to get certain looks. What ever he does he has to make it funny and he has to fill movie seats.

In my opinion, his emphasis on certain aspects of the weave or relaxer is so he could be more creative .

Now this is all speculation, cause...girl I haven't seen it.

I probably won't go to the theatre to see it because, really, he's not saying anything that us Black Americans don't already know. So, I don't see the point.

See...I actually enjoyed this piece Oprah had w/Chris talking about Good Hair. And I really appreciated the husband and wife on there via Skype talking about the Mom cutting off her own hair to teach her child about self love..

From what they showed on Oprah, I could relate. I remember sitting at a beauty shop for HOURS getting my hair done. I remember putting perms on my own head and waiting thru the BURN b/c I wanted to get my hair as STRAIGHT as possible (as Ice T articulated). I remember the mere sight of new growth would send me running to get a new relaxer. These are all things that were discussed in the piece. He wasn't adding on his own spin on things..He was showing EXACTLY what a lot of us do.

He also showed HOW insane we are about our hair that we would put a $1000 weave on layaway...Now how DISTURBING is that...Especially when it came from a poor person in India(most not all) thinking that they were giving up their hair for a religious ceremony/offering.....

As Chris told Solange....Now she doesn't look like everyone else. And that's why "I" choose to be natural. I love the versatility, shine, and flow of my kinks to ever change them. But I also realize that what works for me, may not work for others. So thank God for choices.....

I'm going. I think people are just acting indignant because he's not saying the things that they want to hear (i.e. he's talking more about weave obsession than saying 'nappy is right!'). I don't take him, this movie, or myself that seriously. I can laugh at myself and at what women go through, period, and I'm quite looking forward to having a hearty laugh. I'm glad a movie (a docu-comedy at that!) has been made about it.

And face it, in the real world, most black women do not have hair like the women on LHCF. Not even on other hair boards do the black women have hair like the women on LHCF. :look: There *IS* no balance in the real world; with black women with long, healthy real hair having equal numbers to those who do not (or who are wearing weave). I bet in Hollywood he's never seen a head of type 4 natural hair that looked good, or probably ever even seen a woman with type 4 natural hair, period (judging by the posts of some of the women here who live in L.A. :look: ) How many do you know of in Hollywood that have type 4 natural hair that's not pressed &/or weaved beyond recognition?

In Hollywood, I bet he's never seen a black woman with long thick hair like Oprah's that actually WAS real. How many people here honestly thought Oprah was wearing weave before she stated otherwise? I bet if he had discovered LHCF and actually immersed himself in it, the movie would have taken a slightly different turn. I bet if Oprah had known about LHCF and immersed herself in it, then her hair episode would have taken a different turn. I'm sure anyone's tune would change when they see what's possible & they stick around long enough to see that it's true.

Honestly, I didn't even believe it when I first joined. That's why I never came back. I assumed yall were mixed and had "good hair", and I didn't come back here or read here for years.

I can't be mad at any of these people for at least attempting to do something; even if it is just exposing the weave industry; which, as far as he knows, IS the status quo. Doesn't his own wife wear weave?

----
ETA: Adding that I am from Chicago and I never saw a head of type 4 natural hair until I went to college.

Last edited:
I'm not going to knock it if folks don't want to see the film for whatever reason, but at the same time if you have paid to see a movie about black people ackin all coonish in the recent past, I'm at a loss for why this film would cause a vitriolic reaction. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

Point taken. However, I don't watch television and I don't go to the movies. Well, I take that back....this year I went to two FREE screenings of movies. But, I don't usually go. I know I'm probably weird to some people (could care less though)!!

i'm not I feel like it's going to make a mockery of AA hair, I wish someone would do a documentary on AA women who take care of their hair and have grown their hair to nice lengths . I just get tired of when our hair is talked about it's always weave this weave that just stresses me out.

and my man touches my hair all the darn time I love scalp massages, in a commercial clip they have it as if you can't touch a black womens hair without consequences lol!!!!

That's my problem too. That's one of the reasons I don't like going to movies period. I want to watch something I can relate to. If a movie is going to be made about AA women's hair. I want to be able to relate. From everything I've heard and seen I can't relate at all to this movie!

Fingers can flow through my hair anytime unless I'm wearing it curly and I don't want it messed up. Can't say a man has ever had that complaint about my hair!!

That's kind of what I'm scared of...I mean, I'm going to watch the movie. The tickets on Sunday are cheap, I like hair, and there are people to see it with me, so why not. I'm not trying to see it to learn anything though. That's what LHCF is for.

But I think that people of other races will watch it, and be like...OHHH, and suddenly think they know everything there is to know about black hair, when they really have no idea. I'm not trying to hear a bunch of people who think they can tell me about MY hair, when the only thing they know about it is what a comedian said in a documentary. There is nothing more annoying than someone who thinks they know everything about something, but really knows nothing at all.

If Good Hair was more comprehensive or balanced, or even if it was actually celebratory of black hair (maybe looking at natural hair and how versatile it is, how people with natural hair feel about it, stuff like that), then I'd feel differently about it, I think.
But since Chris Rock doesn't know what the hell he's talking about...then there you go. :rolleyes:

I am on another forum that is probably half caucasian and a great deal of them are going to see this movie. That's the problem I have. That other non-black people are going to see this movie and think this is the gospel when in fact it is not.

See...I actually enjoyed this piece Oprah had w/Chris talking about Good Hair. And I really appreciated the husband and wife on there via Skype talking about the Mom cutting off her own hair to teach her child about self love..

From what they showed on Oprah, I could relate. I remember sitting at a beauty shop for HOURS getting my hair done. I remember putting perms on my own head and waiting thru the BURN b/c I wanted to get my hair as STRAIGHT as possible (as Ice T articulated). I remember the mere sight of new growth would send me running to get a new relaxer. These are all things that were discussed in the piece. He wasn't adding on his own spin on things..He was showing EXACTLY what a lot of us do.

He also showed HOW insane we are about our hair that we would put a $1000 weave on layaway...Now how DISTURBING is that...Especially when it came from a poor person in India(most not all) thinking that they were giving up their hair for a religious ceremony/offering.....

As Chris told Solange....Now she doesn't look like everyone else. And that's why "I" choose to be natural. I love the versatility, shine, and flow of my kinks to ever change them. But I also realize that what works for me, may not work for others. So thank God for choices.....

I can't relate to any of the bolded. Which is why I don't want to see the movie. I've never sat in a Beauty Salon for hours. I've never had a relaxer (when I use to get them) burn my scalp. My new growth barely looked different from my relaxed hair (when I think back I think I was more texlaxed). I would get a relaxer twice a year then went to once a year. I've always pretty much had long hair. If I'm going to go and pay my hard earned money to go to see a movie that is supposedly about me (in a way) then I should be able to relate. Honestly, I never knew relaxers could cause burning until I joined this forum a year ago (and I'm 38 years old). So a variety would have been nice to have in the movie since everyone does not fall into that stereotypical category.

I don't understand the argument that people don't like this movie because other races will be watching and then think they know all there is to know about our hair. White people, alongside a ton of black people, watch the ignorance black people put on in other movies/tv/reality shows. Why not something half way educational made by a black man?

I was on the train last night listening to 3 black professional woman discuss their hair. They didn't sound ignorant, but very unknowledgeable as to WHY they NEEDED a perm. How no amount of heat could help them. This was said from 2 women to third about her natural hair worn straight. They didn’t say she had ‘good hair’ but that was definitely the inference. Many black women just don’t know how to care for their hair. Whether it’s that they aren’t interested or just ingrained with the notion they have bad hair.

My mother is 62 and feels she has bad hair. She has no perm, but extra thick lush hair I drool over. However, this is ingrained in her that her hair is bad. *Sigh* No matter what I say this is stuck in her head. That is from her generation. Now you have youth from 2 generations later who are not aware of the struggle the older ones had with this. They just see a ton of options they can buy to put on their head. I like how Chris goes behind the scenes to show this is a multi billion dollar industry and why.
At the end of the day, Chris is a comedian. A raunchy one at that. So he puts his personal touch to it.

I don't understand the argument that people don't like this movie because other races will be watching and then think they know all there is to know about our hair. White people, alongside a ton of black people, watch the ignorance black people put on in other movies/tv/reality shows. Why not something half way educational made by a black man?

I don't think the ONLY reason some people don't want to see the movie is because of other races watching. It's one of the reasons. At least for me it is only ONE of the reasons. I feel like I am suppose to be able to relate to this movie as an AA woman. However, from all that I have read and clips I have seen it is not something I can relate to and that's the main problem I have with the movie.

I do agree there are a great deal of tv shows and movies showing ignorant people period (not just black). That's why I don't condone those either. I do that by not watching televsion and not going to the movies to see that crap. I don't allow my teenage son to watch that nonsense either. That's the way I grew up (we weren't allowed to watch TV and only allowed to watch Disney movies with my parents) and that's what I am teaching my son.

Chris Rock hangs out with too many black female celebrities including his own wife who wears pieces. Oprah is not the only black woman with that kind of hair that is not extended with fake hair!!!!!

And I heard that Chris might be in legal trouble over the film, apparently a woman is suing Chris because she did a documentary on this movie and had showed it to him while he was filming, "Everybody Hates Chris."

Chris has been doing these types of jokes on black women and hair for years. When he came to my college in 1991, he was telling the same tired jokes about black women and their weaves. I had my extension plaits at the time so that drew a lot of laughs from the audience. And he was so extremely rude about other issues pertaining to women that I walked out.

But I will see the movie because I want a good laugh. And he could definitely be on to something with these black comedy-documentary-dramas.

And I don't think Chris is being genuine that his daughters asked about good hair because of their white friends, these things usually come from the home. Something was probably mentioned within the family that his girls inherited his hair and not his wife's.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Back