Any suggestions? I'm not sure I can rollerset ever again!

naturalmanenyc

I am transitioning - 15 weeks & 1 day post. I attempted to rollerset tonight and just could not get the comb through my roots:perplexed I was losing too much hair so I just took out the rollers and let my hair air dry. I used my Herbal Essences LTR leave-in & None of Your Frizziness leave-in but using them did not do the trick as usual. This was after washing with Giovanni 50:50 poo & conditioner which gave me no slip.

I may try again to rollerset tomorrow but these curls are more difficult than I expected. I have not seen my texture since I was 10 years old.

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/15-weeks--1-day-post/

Last edited:
You could try a half-n-half. That is, straighten out your roots a little bit with a blowdryer or hot air brush, then damp/wet set on a roller. This could help with manageability with your rollerset as you transition.

How about a flexi rod set instead? I only go 6-8 weeks between relaxers, but the rods are very helpful once the new growth gets going. I have some picsin my Fotki.

I haven't tried it, but members have said good things about it: French Perm Stabilizer Plus sold at Sally's. It's a conditioner and they say it helps relax your newgrowth :yep:

BTW, I loooove your newgrowth!!! If I had that in my head, I'd have SERIOUS HIH disease!

Last edited:
it helps me if i do all my detangling in the shower first. when i do my co-wash i put tons of conditioner on my hair and detangle it in four sections. i've noticed that if you step out of the shower with your hair already detangled, it makes rollersetting sooo much easier.

I am transitioning - 15 weeks & 1 day post. I attempted to rollerset tonight and just could not get the comb through my roots:perplexed I was losing too much hair so I just took out the rollers and let my hair air dry. I used my Herbal Essences LTR leave-in & None of Your Frizziness leave-in but using them did not do the trick as usual.

I may try again to rollerset tomorrow but these curls are more difficult than I expected. I have not seen my texture since I was 10 years old.

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/15-weeks--1-day-post/

You could try braiding your hair before you wash it. I wash my hair in 4 braids. Sometimes I will even put conditioner over the braids, so that I do not have to detangle until I rinse out the conditioner.

I think the key is to find a good detangling conditioner. Detangling is a breeze for me and I too am transtiioning. I also do ponytail rollersets.

Wash day is uneventful for me, that is I have no problems.

Well I just looked at you pics and your curls are just georgeous. Did you detangle well when you were in the shower? Try detangling under the shower stream first then when you go to rollerset spray a detangler or something with lots of slip ( like Lottabody because its super slippery) on each section before combing to roll up.

You could try braiding your hair before you wash it. I wash my hair in 4 braids. Sometimes I will even put conditioner over the braids, so that I do not have to detangle until I rinse out the conditioner.

I think the key is to find a good detangling conditioner. Detangling is a breeze for me and I too am transtiioning. I also do ponytail rollersets.

Can you teach me how to do ponytail rollersets?

Yup ponytail rollerstes will help you wout big time.

Other than that.........the creamy crack will ALWAYS welcome you back :grin:

You could try a half-n-half. That is, straighten out your roots a little bit with a blowdryer or hot air brush, then damp/wet set on a roller. This could help with manageability with your rollerset as you transition.

Thanks! I have a hot air brush too. I used it a couple of weeks ago before a flat iron.

How about a flexi rod set instead? I only go 6-8 weeks between relaxers, but the rods are very helpful once the new growth gets going. I have some picsin my Fotki.

I never thought to roller set on dry hair. That is a great idea! I need to buy some flexirods.

I haven't tried it, but members have said good things about it: French Perm Stabilizer Plus sold at Sally's. It's a conditioner and they say it helps relax your newgrowth :yep:

BTW, I loooove your newgrowth!!! If I had that in my head, I'd have SERIOUS HIH disease!

I have Hawaiian Silky detangler (been in the cabinet for ages without use) and I am trying it today. We shall see if it works. Otherwise I will be at the BSS with my phony pony on to buy some new products.

I am excited about my texture too - just not the part about combing through it. When I started to see it grow in I asked my mom why she relaxed my hair:ohwell: She said the same things I am saying now, it became difficult to comb through the curls & I hated the pressing comb on Saturday mornings. Mom relaxed me when I was about 10.

blasiancurlie
No, I have to admit that I have not been detangling as much as usual in the shower. I had been relying on my leave-ins to help detangle but that is not working anymore at 15 weeks post. I'm going to use my Hawaiian Silky to see if that works.

Thanks freshlikemoi! I like the curls too. I don't even remember having them although mom did not relax me until I was 10.

Ballerina_Bun what detangling condish are you using? I do think that is part of the reason I gave up on the roller set. It was just to much hair ocmbing out, some of which could have been just shedding since I had not washed in a week.

Thanks Pokahontas! No, I did not detangle in the shower. I need to change up my regimen and my products every few weeks now that my curls are growing in. My old regimen is not working anymore with all this new growth.

Thanks for the tip tenjoy. I tried a ponytail roller set a while back and it came out looking crazy. I was afraid to use rubberbands (thought I'd need to cut them out) so I used ouchless bands which left me with ripples at the roots (but not spiral curls).

Back