Any naturals plan on loc'ing

CurleeDST

I attempted to start locing back in FEbruary but realized I would not have the time to try and maintain it for the first six months since I am having this baby soon. I figure I will try back in about another 6 to 12 months.

Any other naturals plan on locing and growing them to great lengths? I just saw 2 people with locs today and they were down their back (past BSL and one was waistlength). Awesome.

Nope. The thought has never crossed my mind. I like long hair but I do not think you need to loc to achieve it. I would never loc my hair

CurleeDST said:
I attempted to start locing back in FEbruary but realized I would not have the time to try and maintain it for the first six months since I am having this baby soon. I figure I will try back in about another 6 to 12 months.

Any other naturals plan on locing and growing them to great lengths? I just saw 2 people with locs today and they were down their back (past BSL and one was waistlength). Awesome.
Hey! I thought about locing my hair in February too!!! :D I thought it would be a good way to leave my hair alone, but then I realized that's not so true...I started thinking about the maintenance of locs... I would not have the patience to retwist my new growth every few weeks or couple of months or whenever. And I read a lot of stories about women losing locs which left bald spots. Plus, I like doing a variety of natural styles on my hair, so I'm sticking with keeping my natural hair loose and free! :yep:

I had thought about it, but I would want mine to be highly manicured. I don't have the time or money for that now. I have seen people with a mini-fro under their locs and that's just not hot to me.

I think locs can look really nice, but you have to know what you're doing. lol... right now, I can barely handle my loose hair. On the other hand, if I just let my twists get really frizzy..... they look like locs already. :D

I have thought about locing and if I do loc, I will get Sisterlocks. I'll have to wait several years to get them b/c I'm not ballin' like that to start and maintain them.

CurleeDST said:

THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!

I am considering doing it as well. But only to shoulder length....:ohwell:

I had comb coils in my hair last week (forgot to take pics). It looked pretty good. Of course alot of people in my family (and friends) want me to lock my hair. And I went to a west indian party in brooklyn last weekend and there were so many men and women with beautiful locks.
The thought has crossed my mind even before I transitioned because I have so many influences at home of people with beautiful locks. But I think I will wait until I am older.

I plan to try it again in another 6 or 12 months and start with a little longer. I have seen some beautiful locs today. One was waistlength and one was past BSL. Full, thick and gorgeous.

I thought long and hard for a few years about getting Sisterlocks. But then I saw a lot of women whose locs were breaking or who were balding/thinning even with locs, and I realized it wasn't an answer for me. There are some gorgeous loc'd heads out there for sure and they catch my eye and get my compliments every time, but I don't think my fine hair would do as well as other hair types in the long run.

ThursdayGirl said:
I had thought about it, but I would want mine to be highly manicured. I don't have the time or money for that now. I have seen people with a mini-fro under their locs and that's just not hot to me.

I think locs can look really nice, but you have to know what you're doing. lol... right now, I can barely handle my loose hair. On the other hand, if I just let my twists get really frizzy..... they look like locs already. :D
ITA. I had thought about, but it is really expense to keep them nice, and partt of the reason I'm natural is because it's alot less money to maintain. Plus I love my curls, and kinks and having a little more styling options.

I never plan to. On the rare occasions I twist my hair my sisters tease me about my "locks" :lol: but I enjoy wearing my hair loose too much to loc it.

No, never I never consider locs to be honest. I have seen them and some look nice. But I also saw the bad parts of it and I feel like its to restrictive of a style. Sure you can do a lot with it but its not the same as having your own hair out so. Thats a no for me.

I actually just made the decision this weekend that I'm going to loc. It's an idea that's been running around in my head for years now, and every time I see a Black woman with beautiful, healthy, well-manicured locs swinging down her back, I practically drool! So I decided to stop coveting luscious mid-back locs on other women, and start growing my own! I'm planning to use the Sisterlocks method because I really want the tiny locs that look like microbraids, and because they are as versatile as loose hair that way. Plus, with locs that small, the problem of heavy locs falling out and leaving bald spots is not an issue.

...Yeah, the money to get Sisterlocks started is major, but I plan to shop around for a good deal, definitely try to haggle over the price, and I'm starting with really short hair, so it shouldn't be too pricey. I'm going to wait till I have 2-3" of healthy hair, get my Sisterlocks started by a certified consultant, then take the retightening class so I can maintain them on my own. And, hell, it's STILL probably cheaper than trying to maintain a perm!

I have thought about it, but after having a good friend with loc’s I realize how expensive it is to get the upkeep and if you want it to look professional according to her you have to pay to have them re-twisted. I am sure there is a way to do it yourself, but at this point I really like how versatile my hair is. I like being able to do a rollerset, or a braidout, or get it braided, or even to have it flat ironed for a sleek look and Caruso for a more curled look. At this point I don’t see loc’s anywhere in my near future, but I guess I can never say never, I do admire the texture of loc’d hair but I don’t like how you are stuck with that one style. (thinks of buying a loc’d wig LOL)

I've only been natural a year, so I think if I were to loc, it would be at least 10 years from now. Right now, I would prefer to be a loose natural. My mom started her locs two years ago from basically a long fade--now they're at her neck--it's the longest I've seen her hair in years. She has thin hair, but her locs are larger than sisterlocks, but smaller than traditional locks.

No, I never thought about locing. It sounds too final for me, and I like having options. I like it on other women, though!

I thought about loc'ing myself, my dad has butt length locs (just cut from knee length). I love his and wanted to get sisterlocs but the co$t to start them is more than i'm willing to pay for a natural style, I do love that they are versatile.

One reason to to go natural is to stop spending so much money on getting my natural hair done (even though i'm still working on being a product junkie).

Even thought I love the look of locs, I have truly fallen in love with my hair, I love running my fingers through it, the texture, the various styles, etc.

Congratulations to all of you who choose to loc, I know it will be beautiful. Maybe one day i'll change my mind, until then I will continue to admire those loc'ed heads.

I wore locs and my family was distraught, the older members mainly. I picked them out (no, locs are not permanent). I got sick of the maintenance and really missed my hair.
I have seen people style locs with flat twists and braids.

Even though when I first started locking I did not know that I would be able to take them out, It turned out to be my easy transition from relaxed to natural even thought it looked a mess (the relaxed hair would not loc and I refused to cut that part off until I was shoulder length. It was a beautiful moment after I took them out b/c I rediscovered my natural hair.

I NEVER would have thought that I would wear locs before I did it as well, I mean NEVER. If I do it again, they would have to be a little bit bigger than before so I won’t have so many to twist. I think they would look much better than before since I wouldn’t be starting with relaxed hair.

I’ll try to find some pics.

I've had locs for about 2-1/2 years now ... and I love them ... :) ... They're low maintenance and my hair grows like a weed. I couldn't ask for a better hairstyle compatible with my lifestyle and preference.

i'm surprised that others have reported high maintenance with locs. i feel like they are the most low maintenance style that i've ever had! i think it is also due to the method of start up - mine were installed with a tool. i know many ladies who start with comb coils or two-strand twists experience unraveling and other problems in the early months. it's the only style i've worn here a rollerset lasts perfectly for 7 days with only spritzing:grin:

I never plan to loc. I too like free hair. Not to mention all the damage from braids and relaxers on my hairline have made it not a good idea to loc. I've been relaxer free for 3 years, but the damage is still there. It would look funny and I am too fickle with my style to commit to locs.

I had locs for 3+ years. I loved them and they were low maintenance (not no maintenance, but the lowest of all my styles thus far) They got what I considered too long at the time and I wanted a change so I cut them off. I regret that I cut them and will definitely revisit them again in a year or so. I'm currently transitioning now.

Interesting thread. I have never considered loc'ing. I have seen some that I like - only the neat ones. Not the ones where it looks like 2 or 3 locs have matted into 1 due 2 lack of maintenance. Or as someone else in the thread mentioned, the ones with the big fro at the roots.

But this is nothing that I'd ever consider. :nono: My DH would divorce me.

I had locs for 5 years, and I don't plan on going back to them. They were virtually maintence free though - I used the latchhook method to tighten my roots rather than twisting - I did it once a month in the warmer months, and ever 6-8 weeks in the colder months (different rates of hair growth), and otherwise - I didn't do a thing with them. It took me about - 1.5 hour to do my whole head.....so, two hours a month isn't much, at all. It was the closest thing I could get to sistalocks without the jaw dropping pricetag. :lol:

I took them out though, because my fine damaged (dye) hair was 'compacting' down too much, and I wasn't happy with how they looked - and I missed my loose hair...I've been wearing two strand twists for two weeks straight lately, and it just reminds me how much I DON'T want to do locs again... :lol:

Back